MLS Player Updates

[UPDATED WITH ESKANDARIAN COMMENTS]

*Argentine media reports insist that D.C. United is pursuing former national team star Claudio Lopez, but DCU GM Dave Kasper tells me that there is "no truth" to it.

*Luciano Emilio and his agent, Alex Solis, have been in discussion with United about a new contract -- Emilio earned $293,125 this year -- and Solis says that "we're going in a good direction." The club exercised the option on Emilio's contract and is under no obligation to give him a new deal, but after watching him win the scoring title and the MVP award, you'd think they would want to reward him and keep him happy.

Solis says that, if a new deal isn't reached this offseason, he's optimistic it could be re-worked starting with the 2009 season. "He told me he's not happy [about the 2008 terms], but that he knows he has to abide by the contract," Solis said of his client. Emilio is scheduled to fly home to Brazil this week and will not return to Washington until training camp prepares to open in late January.

*RSL GM Garth Lagerwey said the club has made an offer to forward Alecko Eskandarian, whose contract expires this month, and that Esky has "told us he wanted to play for us." However, the five-year veteran is currently in Belgium pursuing opportunities. Lagerwey would not reveal the contract offer, but it is probably safe for Insider loyalists to assume that Esky would not receive the $175,500 he earned this year after contributing one goal and three assists in 17 matches.

[UPDATED] Just IMed with Alecko. He says he is in Liege, training with Standard. He was supposed to return home last week, but the club asked him to stay around longer. "It's good to know they are interested in me," he said. No offer yet, but a work permit would not be an issue. He said he'll return home for the holidays and then weigh whatever options there may be.

Lagerwey also tells me the club is hoping to sign an American currently playing in Germany -- Garth was just over there on a scouting mission -- and would like to acquire one Argentine player identified by the coaching staff during a recent recruiting trip.

*Carlos Pavon "looks like he's going to stay" with the Galaxy, said Solis, who also represents the Honduran forward. This year he had three goals in 18 regular season appearances (10 starts) and was on scale to earn $141,500. I would guess he would have to accept a lower figure to remain in the league.

By Steve Goff  |  December 17, 2007; 1:05 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NCAAs, the Aftermath
Next: And the Winners Are.....

Comments

I got excited for a second about Esky but then realized that that was in regards for wanting to play for RSL. still weird to me that Garth is their GM and not our color commentator.

Posted by: pat | December 17, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

US player in Germany? Wolff? Berhalter?

Posted by: EssEff | December 17, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Carlos Pavon, seriously? Why don't they give Alan Gordon a $1m increase while they're at it.

Posted by: bristol | December 17, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

With the Veron incident, have the negotiations with Gomez taken a new direction?

Posted by: Mike | December 17, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

GET ROONEY AND GET WOLLF DCU ARE TEAMS SUCKS

Posted by: T | December 17, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad Emilio is going home to Brasil. I don't want him to lose his slick moves by spending too much time in this cold weather and socially conservative environment.

Posted by: Amanda | December 17, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Carlos Pavon is staying??!! Please, no!!!

Posted by: Nellie | December 17, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Steve, any movement on the Gomez situation?

Posted by: DirtyHarry | December 17, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, while we're getting Rooney, let's get Messi, Kaka, Cristiano Ronaldo, and any other player whose transfer fee would be larger than the entire MLS salary budget.

Posted by: Chest ROckwell | December 17, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Again - I plead that the FO RESCUE/SAVE/Grant Amnesty/Give Refuge/etc to Benny Feilhaber.

Can't crack time at Derby - have we seen how terrible they are?

Great win for the Gunners.

Posted by: UVA-United | December 17, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

still weird to me that Garth is their GM and not our color commentator.

Posted by: pat | December 17, 2007 01:46 PM
---------------

The color commentator job is just a stepping stone to bigger things in MLS: Rongen to Chivas, Harkes to NY, Lagerway to RSL. Maybe this just applies to DC, because we are still subjected to Wynalda, the ESPN version of water-boarding.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | December 17, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

boy, I bet Juan Carlos Osorio is happy not to have this guy as his agent!

Posted by: furia yanqui | December 17, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Steve, care to expand on the "No Truth" comment by Kasper? Or am I so bored at work I'm reading too much into it?

Damn that Emilio, kickin' it samba style on the sunny beaches of Brazil in the middle of summer.

Posted by: Chico | December 17, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Hmm... My first thought went to Kamani Hill.

Only tangentially related, but I wonder if any video is available on Max Cream. The numbers just don't seem to tell why he's currently unattached (again).

Posted by: B.A. | December 17, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Nothing new on the Gomez situation.

Nothing to read into Kasper's Lopez denial.

Have not heard any Kamani Hill links to RSL.

Posted by: Goff | December 17, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

"because we are still subjected to Wynalda, the ESPN version of water-boarding."

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | December 17, 2007 02:25 PM

Funny comment.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 17, 2007 3:01 PM | Report abuse

"but a work permit would not be an issue."

How so? Is it because he is an Armenian-Iranian-American?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | December 17, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Goff - could you get the DCU FO to give us some names of who they're targeting? I appreciate the effort on Veron but would love to know were the club's aspirations lie for '08 now that he's staying at Estudiantes. Thanks!

Posted by: Section106 | December 17, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Lopez was close to being a washed-up player as you can be near the end of his time with Club America. I highly doubt he would be more effective than Jaime Moreno. We should be targeting Marcelo Salas if we are expecting somebody to score goals, as he was recently recalled to represent Chile for the WC qualifiers.

Posted by: la_chingada | December 17, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Yes, we would all love to know this but no, I could never do something like that even though I consider it as part of my job.

Posted by: Posing as Goff | December 17, 2007 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I-270-

If I'm not mistaken, Belgium just hands out work permits to soccer players. A couple of seasons ago, a club actually played an entire starting XI comprised of African players (can't remember the name). I believe this is why Esky has no worries about that side of things.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | December 17, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

"When I heard Germany-based player and RSL, I actually immediately thought Gregg Berhalter. Their center back situation consists of the promising but young Nathan Sturgis and card-magnet Matias Mantilla; from their angle, Berhalter would bring veteran leadership."

Berhalter just signed another 1 year deal with 1860.

Posted by: ryano | December 17, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

-------

ha! no chance.

after the fact, they don't even acknowledge pursuing veron.

Posted by: Goff | December 17, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Carlos Pavon staying is great, its not his faught that no one in the mid field can get him the ball

Posted by: saprissa | December 17, 2007 6:01 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if the player from Germany is Grover Gibson???

Posted by: PKTaker | December 17, 2007 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey, no heartbreaking over losing Veron;s deal as he is an old age and can't be too excited to begin with. I do wish that DCU brings two bright forwards, two smart play makers and two great defendars and build the team to win something special this coming year. And I really hope, OF would make a smart deal to the stadium deal done SOON, not dragging over 5 or 10 more years. Com'on United!

I am really disguste seeing how Chelsea plays these days. Specially Terry has lost, or maybe never had it, his coolness on dealing on the feild. A. Cole is a sick player with dirty play.

Posted by: td | December 17, 2007 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Does RSL need defenders? Maybe Josh Grenier who is currently with TuS Koblenz ?

Posted by: mandrake | December 17, 2007 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Just a guess but I dont think Veron was ever serious about coming to DC. He likely was just using DC's interest to cut a better deal with Estudiantes...

Posted by: Ron | December 18, 2007 7:25 AM | Report abuse

British news papers have reported AC Milan's Ronaldo has been released. Any MLS is pursuing him closely? Too pricy for United though!

Posted by: td | December 18, 2007 7:26 AM | Report abuse