New York, New York

While we wish the best for hobbling John Terry, here's what we're looking forward to today from three separate locations in New York City:

1 P.M.
*On Ninth Avenue, the Red Bulls introduce their new coach, Juan Carlos Osorio. In case you've lost count, he succeeds Firmani, Queiroz, Parreira, Mondelo, Mulitinovic, Zambrano, Bradley, Johnston, Williams (interim) and Arena. None of them lasted more than three seasons. Then again, no D.C. United coach has ever gone into a fourth season (albeit with a bit more success than their N.Y. counterparts). Chew on that for a moment.

APPROXIMATELY 1 P.M.
*On Fifth Avenue, MLS unveils its competition/player guidelines. Because you are loyal Insider readers, you already know some of it: The league has abolished the youth international/senior international designations and added an eighth foreign slot per team; Toronto is going to receive additional "foreign" help; and Ruiz, Johnson and Donovan have been grandfathered as DPs again. But I also understand there are some previously undisclosed wrinkles concerning all those subjects. We'll share them with you here the moment they are released.

2 P.M. (SORT OF)
*Also on Fifth Avenue, CONCACAF conducts the draw for the eight-team Champions' Cup (DCU and Houston are in) and establishes the two groups for the men's Under-23 Championship/Olympic qualifying tournament. The draws begin at 2, but don't expect the results to be available until later in the day.

By Steve Goff  |  December 18, 2007; 9:01 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA Qualifying Sked Taking Shape
Next: Qualifying Dates Set

Comments

how does the league justify this "grandfathering" of DPs? Are there actual rules in MLS or not?

Posted by: Glenn | December 18, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

If you need some reason to dislike Osario other than the fact he's the Red Bull coach, consider this: During the home playoff game he got into quite an argument during the run of play with Jaime Moreno. So much that Jaime literally stopped playing for about 10 seconds so he could yell at Osario. After the game was over Osario walked off the pitch without acknowledging the DC coaching staff. Mark Simpson, in particular, was pissed off abou it. Just a couple of observations from sitting behind the away team bench. I'm not a fan of Osario's. I think he's a jack*ss. He should be a perfect fit at RBNY...

Posted by: QuietSide | December 18, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Boo hoo. Jaime Moreno's feelings were hurt. Sniff Sniff.

yeah, well..we in NY hate Moreno for dogging it the year he was here, so good for Osario for hurting his precious feelings. I hope this year we make him cry twice as hard, preferably while he's on the sideline with a broken ankle watching us beat you for a change.

Posted by: Smith | December 18, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

It's cute how excited these Red Bull kiddies get over their new toys. We as the older siblings just need to sit back, smile, and wait for them to once again break their gift.

Posted by: Logan Circle | December 18, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

After eliminating DC instead of yelling "I'm going to Disney World!" into the TV cameras Osorio yelled "I'm going to the Meadowlands".

Definitely a creepy character who will be most at home in the barren swamps of New Jersey...

Posted by: garbaggio | December 18, 2007 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Moreno dogging it while at the Metro's? What kind of dope are you smoking? He scored on us here and then he hurt his back. Then in true Metro fashion, you guys dumped him on the junk heap. His return here was not guaranteed by any stretch of the imagination. He had to bust his butt just to make the team. He then went on to destroy eveything Metro and was ripped off in the 2004 MVP race by your own whining, diving little Guevarra Diva. But he did end up with his fourth ring, so put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Posted by: Chico | December 18, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Boy, I wish I could rep you guys!! Good ones, Logan and Garbaggio.

Posted by: Beaker | December 18, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

You Go Chico!!

btw, interesting write-up from Marc Fisher today. Give it a read...

Posted by: DirtyHarry | December 18, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

John Terry for DP!

1. We need a central defender.
2. He'll sell tickets and jerseys.
3. He fits the DP requirements of being an injured Englishman.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | December 18, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I give Osorio LONG odds on lasting more than 2 years at RBNY (and not because he is swooped up by a European club) I'm guessing 16 months tops.
RBNY is a joke of an organization and is going to chew up and spit out another coach.

Posted by: papa bear | December 18, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

DiD marc fisher really say that Barry Farms might be the site for a new stadium?

Posted by: beauregard | December 18, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

That would be "England's Brave" John Terry to you.

Posted by: bdr | December 18, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

That would be "England's Brave" John Terry to you.

Posted by: bdr | December 18, 2007 11:17 AM
------------------

Beggin' your most 'umble pardon, guvnah.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | December 18, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

@Dirty Harry

That bit from Fisher almost sounds like a scoop...at least if it's true.

Posted by: AT | December 18, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Moremo scored on DC because that was the one game he was motivated for. Other than that, he dogged it.

DC fans are like Yankee fans. Love to bask in that past glory. Mantle, Etch, whatever.

We may suck (& we do & have for 12 years, God help us), but you didn't get any further in the playoffs than we did AND your city sucks.

Now go get your shine box.

Posted by: Smith | December 18, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

The UK Daily Star is reporting that AC Milan is about to release Ronaldo in January. Any chance that LA will sign him? That would be cool since he's overweighted, erm, overrated.

Posted by: bristol | December 18, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Maybe DC can sign him to make sure no one hurts Moreno's feelings.

Posted by: Smith | December 18, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

"AND your city sucks"

Sounds like someone wants an audit or a visit from DHS.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | December 18, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

We may suck (& we do & have for 12 years)

The only intelligent thing you've written.

Posted by: Chico | December 18, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

"but the prime candidate may turn out to be the place where the mayor hopes to launch his second New Community, replacing another long-troubled housing project: Barry Farms in Southeast, quite close to the Poplar Point park.

And MacFarlane, who just a few weeks ago adamantly and angrily contended that DC United had been completely boxed out of the Poplar Point area, is now humming a different tune. Might the team still end up with a stadium near Poplar Point, I asked. "Absolutely," MacFarlane replied. Stay tuned."

----------------------

Barry Farms, brilliant. Maybe Victor will build "Marion Barry Stadium."

How's Greenbelt looking now?

Posted by: WNT fan | December 18, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Welcome aboard, Billy Batts. It has been a lonely, one-man war I have been waging against fans of The United on this blog.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | December 18, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

A lonely one man war? Sounds like the attendance at RedBull games. :>)

Posted by: CaptainObvious | December 18, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Oh my, the Trolls are breeding!

Posted by: runforthehills | December 18, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Wow, a dearth of true soccer news and the RBNY fans come a-yellin'....what's up with that? No kittens to drown?

Don't they have any real work to do? I don't recall seeing this level of venom spewed by DCU fans over in Ives' blog...so what gives?

Posted by: Holiday Spirit indeed | December 18, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Metro supporters don't need to stuff their packages like fans of the United.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | December 18, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

We may suck (& we do & have for 12 years, God help us)
- - - - - -
Sounds like RBNY are ready to print up their new letterhead.

Posted by: gringo | December 18, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

"The" United -- now I know you are just trying to irk people ;)

So, what is grown at Barry Farms?

Posted by: RK | December 18, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Attendance smack

"City" smack (which would be half-way justified if their team was actually, you know, IN the city)

DEAR GOD the season cannot come soon enough

Posted by: d, dc | December 18, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Settle down folks. It's Christmas time, time to be charitable to everyone less fortunate than us: disaster victims, the homeless, Red Bull fans.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | December 18, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Metro supporters? Weren't the Metro's killed off by some crappy energy drink conglomerate?

Posted by: DirtyHarry | December 18, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

DirtyHarry:

Some of them still call themselves "metro fans" to distinguish themselves, the true hardcore base, from the teeming masses of new supporters the team attracted following the dirtbike jammy jam / Shakira concert (I think there may have been a game involved, too...)

Hope I cleared things up for ya.

Posted by: d, dc | December 18, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Forget Zach Wells -- Cañizares (Valencia keeper) is available! And get Albelda for defense, too!

Posted by: RK | December 18, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, d, dc. Like I've always said Mastodon...A man's gotta know his limitations.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | December 18, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Metro/Redbull fans, when you have something better than a "participant" ribbon at the end of a season then you can talk smack. Till then, talk to the hand.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 18, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

The fact that as many as TWO "Your Logo Here" New York fans can even read this blog is more evidence that the No Child Left Behind Act is, indeed, working.

Posted by: Joe Doc | December 18, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

While I generally stay away from the mindless my-city/team-is-better-than-yours banter, I must admit that there are some very witty people who post here, and I give you all kudos.

If it wasn't for the NY-NJ fans, the MD-VA-DC people would just be at each other, so in that sense the Troglodyte troll and his new protege do provide a valuable service in uniting the blog against a common foe.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | December 18, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Leesburg, but after awhile you start feeling like Ike Turner.

Posted by: Chico | December 18, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I'll believe that Juan and his "new protege" are two separate people when I see two separate IP addresses.

Until then, I'm calling it as I see it: A Colbert-esque one-on-one compliment-off.

Posted by: d, dc | December 18, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

The reason no DC fans talk smack in Ives blog, is because his blog isn't worth reading.

Posted by: AlecW81 | December 18, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

coincidentally, Ike died this week, so I hope it's in the metaphorical sense. LOL

My favorite Colbertism that seems somehow appropriate to our northern friend(s?)-- "Truthiness is 'What I say is right, and [nothing] anyone else says could possibly be true.' It's not only that I --feel-- it to be true, but that --I-- feel it to be true. There's not only an emotional quality, but there's a selfish quality."

You guys make the slow days bearable. Somehow the 5 new posts in a day are always when work is busy.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | December 18, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Goff: Is there any comment out of the DCU front office on the Barry Farms rumors? Do you have anything to add from your sources? Goddess forbid that we should have to rely on Fisher and his sources, such as they are.

Posted by: 22201 | December 18, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

--------
--------

I'm sure Goff would tell you to ask David Nakamura for such Metro-related news/rumors.

Posted by: not my beat | December 18, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

DC fans are so cute when they are angry. I think it's so sweet, in a homoerotic sort of way, when you defend Moreno because Juan hurt his little feelings. It's very tender & loving & sweet. And very, very manly.

Now, what about that shine Box?

Speaking of Slogans:

DC United - Team of the 90s. Soon to be homeless like 25% of the residents of the city itself.

Posted by: Smith | December 18, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

It took you 3 hours and 39 minutes to come up with that weak@ss smack? Get off the computer and go finish your homework. Or your mom's going to make you sit in time out corner again.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | December 18, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Sorry. I was busy at work as opposed to you homeless nobodies in DC who stand outside the Internet Cafe with an empty coffee cup & when you have enough change for a cup of joe & 10 minutes on the PC, post your odes to Ben Olsen here. Sorry I can't be an unemployed DC loser like yourself.

Hey, listen as long as Jaime is happy & his feelings aren't hurt, it's all good, baby. His happiness is , after all, our utmost concern.

Posted by: Smith | December 18, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

As I sit here in my office on the 10th floor of the Gannett Building and overlook my 20 or so employees your post brings a smile. And as far as Jaime's happiness goes, it all starts with burying goals against NJ teams. Thank Jonny Walker for us next time you pull up at the drive thru window.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | December 18, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

That's good of you to employ the homeless. You are truly doing the Lord's work at Xmas time. Bless you. By helping to keep the DC Scum off the streets, you are also helping to keep the crime rate low. This must make Moreno VERY happy indeed.

You are a great man.

Posted by: Smith | December 18, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

... but it only took him 3 hours and 6 minutes to recycle my Christmas and the homeless comment.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | December 18, 2007 9:31 PM | Report abuse

DC United..What are you United against? Good taste? Low crime? Manners? Heterosexuality?

Posted by: Smith | December 19, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse