This Is Our Lives on Holiday

While you were all trying to find a parking space at Target, I gathered a few items to share:

*I mentioned this in the comments section of a different thread, but I'll post it again: DCU did not exercise the option on Greg Vanney's 2008 contract and is in the process of negotiating a new deal. He earned $236,000 last season and although the club would like to retain him (how many central defenders does DCU have left?), they do not want to spend that much on a 33-year-old defender.

*Dallas is in the market for a defender following Clarence Goodson's departure in the expansion draft (he might end up in Europe) and its inability to finalize a trade for Bobby Boswell. I'm hearing that there is some truth to Dallas's interest in Mexican national teamer Duilio Davino, but also that Coach Steve Morrow is pursuing an experienced foreign back currently playing in Germany.

*Sources far out in the Atlantic tell me that former Georgetown coach Keith Tabatznik is going to be an assistant on Bermuda's national team staff. Keith Tucker, the former Howard U. coach and a Bermuda native, is in charge of the team. They'll play the Cayman Islands in the first round of World Cup qualifying in February and, assuming they advance, face T&T in June.

*The Post's All-Met high school boys and girls soccer teams have been announced.

*Arsenal needs extra time to defeat Blackburn in the Carling Cup quarterfinals. In the highlights below, you'll notice Ryan Nelsen in pursuit of Eduardo and Brad Friedel in goal.

By Steve Goff  |  December 19, 2007; 9:17 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: CONCACAF Draws It Up
Next: Woohoo

Comments

Now that you've established a local tie, will you be covering the Bermuda/Cayman Islands match?

Posted by: Kim | December 19, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

But of course
;-)

Posted by: Goff | December 19, 2007 10:08 AM | Report abuse

did i miss something, i assumed the boswell for wells + draft pick trade was a done deal? is it offically off or are they just still negotiating?

Posted by: keithw | December 19, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

boswell went to houston...

Posted by: moses | December 19, 2007 10:13 AM | Report abuse

MLS let Texas have 2 teams?

Crazy.

Posted by: Dallas and Houston | December 19, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Benny Feilhaber.

Posted by: UVA-United | December 19, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Tabatznik is a good guy and a fine coach. But Bermuda?

BTW, I watched Ryan Nelson in his last PL match and he looked bad. Always a step slow. He ended up doing a lot of chasing, as he is doing in the Carling Cup clip.

Posted by: hedbal | December 19, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

The D playing in Germany's name doesn't begin with Cherundolo, does it? That would be an interesting test of using the DP to pay Americans to come back. Surely he wouldn't come back for ordinary MLS money.

Posted by: bbarrie | December 19, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Hey Goff,

I really hope the title of this post wasn't a Green Day reference...

Posted by: Bret | December 19, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Benny F? not a chance. Sure, the guy's not playing, but he's probably pocketing 200,000 pounds or so, you think he's coming back to MLS for anything less than DP money?

Posted by: northzax | December 19, 2007 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the All-Met link. Quite a few locals are national-caliber players, boys and girls.

Posted by: WNT fan | December 19, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hedbal | December 19, 2007 10:35 AM
----------------------

Nelsen wasn't necessarily slow. He stepped up to try to put Eduardo offside, but the right back didn't. I have no idea who the right back was marking (neither does he, for that matter).

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | December 19, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Goff, do you see DCU signing a DP this offseason?

It would seem that if they were prepared to pay for Veron they would want to at least go after someone else. It's not as though Veron is singularly popular / good.

Posted by: kjm | December 19, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

DCU will sign at least one foreign player this winter, but not necessarily a designated player (high salary, big name, etc).

Posted by: Goff | December 19, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Agree with I-270. The issue wasn't Nelsen, it was the overall coordination of the line. Samba continued to pursue too high and the right back (Reid?) read everything all wrong all day. To be fair, Nelsen is just back from red card suspension and Reid after a lengthy injury, but the coordination the past 2 games has been nil, and he is the Captain.

Posted by: JkR | December 19, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Nelson could have stepped up ball side, no?

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Benny Feilhaber.

Posted by: UVA-United | December 19, 2007 10:32 AM

------------------------------------

He's not in Germany anymore.

Posted by: Brian | December 19, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Nelsen didn't win too many footraces with DC United, either. He's a good defender who has never been a speedster.

I think Brad Friedel still may be the best American soccer player playing anywhere. But since he's no longer in the National team picture he gets overlooked (or maybe taken for granted).

I read in a boxscore that Blackburn outshot the young Gunners team by a huge margin but the press seemed to play up the performance of what was somewhat of an Arsenal reseve team. Did Blackburn look a lot stronger in the run of play?

Posted by: garbaggio | December 19, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I assume the yank in germany they are talking about is berhalter, especially if they are in the market for a central back.

i realize that it's because DC still has the right to sign vanney even though they turned down his option... but what i don't understand is once they turn down the option to sign him at that salary why he doesn't have the option to try to get another team to sign him at that same salary.

this is just pro sports stuff i don't understand.

Posted by: pat | December 19, 2007 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I said Dallas was looking at a foreign defender playing in Germany. "Foreign" does not necessarily mean "American."

Besides, I believe Berhalter just signed a new contract with his club.

Posted by: Goff | December 19, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

this is just pro sports stuff i don't understand.

Posted by: pat | December 19, 2007 11:31 AM
-------------------

You do not need to understand anything. I will tell you the rules. I will tell you how everything is consistent with the rules. I will tell you if there are new rules. However, we do not need new rules because everything we do is consistent with the old rules. When I am finished telling you the old rules and the new rules (which we do not need since the old rules always apply) we will all sing the MLS Anthem.

Posted by: Don Garber | December 19, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: WNT fan | December 19, 2007 10:52 AM

No doubt. That Carroll striker Prince Lapnet is the best player I have ever had to mark.
I don't know how the McNamara keeper made it. He did not look that great, to be quite honest.

Posted by: BI | December 19, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Who were those guys wearing the Arsenal jerseys, anyway?

Swami says United will sign the guy who talked Veron into staying with Estudiantes to show loyalty to his teammates, leading Veron to say "WTF?"

Posted by: Fisch Fry | December 19, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

actually, in the post, it says an "experienced foreign back currently playing in Germany," which would make me assume that it's not an American.

Posted by: jamie | December 19, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

The confusion arises because, I believe, you previously posted that it was an American player in Germany.....

Posted by: Fisch Fry | December 19, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

RIF, "foreign", "FOREIGN back currently playing in Germany"

As per the All Met selections, I have never seen a player so clearly better than everyone else on the field as with All-Met Caroline Miller from Walter Johnson, either at the high school level or in the MD State Cup final in '06.

Posted by: Matt | December 19, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Bret, I centainly believe it was a Green Day reference. And for the record, I'm going to give Goff the benefit of the doubt on yesterday's New York New York and assume he meant the Ryan Adams song, not the bad Frank Sinatra or Liza Manelli song from the 70's movie of the same name.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | December 19, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

The All-Met (boys) second team plays a 1-5-4. Sign that defender NOW!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | December 19, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

The All-Met (boys) second team plays a 1-5-4. Sign that defender NOW!

-----------------------------------

The 2d team girls are a 1-4-5.

A reflection of the mentality that every good HS player plays an attacking role, and the defenders are fungible. Misguided, in my view, but prevalent. Everyone thinks the defender's job is so easy, but try to put one of your prima donas there, and see how they hold up in a position where one mistake can be fatal.

Posted by: WNT fan | December 19, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Those were Arsenal's reserves, essentially, against Blackburn's first team.

Average age just under 20 -- Eduardo (24) was the oldest player on the field. And they played with 10 men for all of extra time after Denilson was sent off.

Posted by: Ric | December 19, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Goff | December 19, 2007 11:00 AM

-------------------------------------------

We could lose as many as five starters, our reserves have failed to impress, and we don't have any first round picks (IIRC) and I doubt that our MLS competitors are going to open up their rosters for Soehn and Kasper to cherry pick. Where is the help coming from if the FO is only going to sign ONE foreign player?

Posted by: Section106 | December 19, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I said very clearly today that Dallas was interested in an experienced foreign back playing in Germany.

On Monday, I made reference to Salt Lake going after an American playing in Germany.

Posted by: Goff | December 19, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Goff, Speaking of All-Met first-teamers, is the Joe Barnd, 2-Time All Met Boys 1st Teamer (Spring 2006 and Spring 2007) the same Joe Barnd who played Forward on one of the DC United Youth teams last season?

Posted by: Ron | December 19, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

-----

Is reading comprehension an issue today? ;-)

I said "at least one" foreign player. Could end up being several. Besides the draft, they might also acquire players through trades. DCU doesn't have many quality draft picks, but they do have plenty of allocation money and future draft picks (not to mention a DP slot).

Posted by: Goff | December 19, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

-----

Would appear to be the same one.

Posted by: Goff | December 19, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Goff, please forgive us. Our reading skillz are already on vacation.

Posted by: d, dc | December 19, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Goff | December 19, 2007 12:25 PM
------------------------------------------

It had better be a heck of a lot more that one foriegn player. "At least one" leaves too many roster spots open. Are you suggesting that United can win in the CCC with Kpene, Moose, and Dyachenko starting and Addlery coming off the bench?

"At least one" is way too flippant a description of the situation for this internet nut! It's the difference in a Super Club and LA's Supper Club.

Thanks for the blog, by the way.

Posted by: Section106 | December 19, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

-----

Where did I suggest that?

There are going to be many moves this offseason: at least one significant foreign player, trades, the draft, etc.

At the moment -- I repeat, at the moment -- the starting lineup is Wells, Burch, McTavish, Vanney, Namoff, Simms, Olsen, Fred, Gomez, Moreno and Emilio.

We'll have to see what happens with Gomez and Moreno. If they leave, the club will plan to bring in comparable replacements.

Others are on the way.

Patience.

Posted by: Goff | December 19, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

High school players - - - - Bermuda

Aren't Tabatznik and Tucker the Maryland ODP boys coaches? Can they do both jobs?

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

US Soccer announces winner of best blog today.

Posted by: WNT fan | December 19, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Is it true that DC United isnt your favorite team? I guess that sort of makes sense since you write about them. Who is?

Posted by: strago | December 19, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm a reporter. I have no favorites (teams, players, etc.)

Posted by: Goff | December 19, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Goffer,

My apologies. You are 100% correct. We can't keep 'em straight in our heads. Good thing you can set us straight.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | December 19, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Is reading comprehension an issue today? ;-)

-----------------------------
Sorry, Goff. We're all still feeling a little hungover from the ManU party the other night.

No one puts together an event like Rio.

Posted by: George H. | December 19, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff...

since I am taking off to non-internet enabled locales for the holidays (ok, just turning off the blackberry) just wanted to say thanks for all the reporting this year, in about May, this became the first thing I read in the morning on the bus (using said blackberry) you have singlehandedly (with the help of some regulars here) improved the coverage of the game here in DC, so thanks. and happy holidays!

Posted by: northzax | December 19, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Goff-now you know how the chairman of the federal reserve feels-making people shake with a simple statement. Sam

Posted by: freaking out | December 19, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

How can anyone be disconnected from the web?

Posted by: JSF | December 19, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------
Tabatznik is the head of MD ODP and Tucker was the asst until he returned to Bermuda fultime. Doing both depends on the spring and summer schedule for Bermuda which depends on their games with Caymen. Doubt either of them are getting rich from it, but a nice place to be ! If they do for Bermuda what they did for MD ODP, then it will be a good hire.

Posted by: MD ODP | December 19, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------

Posted by: MD ODP | December 19, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

JSF:

you'd be suprised how pleasant it can be. I recommend it for everyone.

Posted by: northzax | December 19, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff,

Great job on the reporting, keep it up! I was wondering if there is any update on a possible DCU jersey sponsor for next season. You mentioned a few months ago about DCU being in talks with a sponsor with "national recognition" and wanted to know if there have been any recent developments on that front. Thanks!

Posted by: Alamhir | December 19, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I know he's not in Germany - but I can't understand how a guy gets bought for $2+ million and can't crack the starting line-up at DERBY!

DERBY COUNTY FC.

We don't have to buy him - but can we get him on loan until January?

If not - I'll be looking for them to be playing the Real Mormons for the Pub League Championships.

Posted by: UVA-United | December 19, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Steve: It's Wednesday. How can you expect us to remember what you wrote on Monday? That was, like, two whole days ago.

:-)

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | December 19, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Anybody heard any good Gazza rumours lately?

Posted by: Ray H. | December 19, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Who is this person who puts out Logan's Revenge? Is this blog on the right side of the line that Goff has drawn concerning anonymous sources?

Posted by: 22201 | December 19, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

LeesburgSoccerFan,
I do hope you are right about Ryan Adams. It is quite dangerous to listen to any Green Day post 1994 so all who read this lovely Insider must forever be careful.

Posted by: Bret | December 19, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I prefer Logan's Run.

Posted by: RK | December 19, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

It sure ain't no Logan Circle. Bastij.

Posted by: Logan Circle | December 19, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Cowardly anonymous blogs are not welcome here. I'll ask again, please do not post links to such muck.

Posted by: Goff | December 19, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that wasn't even my post but my knuckles are stinging nonetheless. Your reach is long, Mr Goff! And thanks for keeping this discussion at such a high level.

On another note: I'd love for someone to put together a DVD showing 90 minutes of Arsenal passes in the attacking third. It would be a beautiful thing.

Posted by: Joe Doc | December 19, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't believe a word of this. This has FAIL written all over it. I see no movement to get anyone to fill the vacancies that are GOING to happen. They need to be getting guys in now and in January not waiting till like a month before the CCC.

This is what I think is going to happen. With the stadium thing still up in the air and Veron falling through and with Gomez and Moreno probably leaving they will go into panic mode, make some ill-advised trades, maybe acquire 1 foreign player who will turn out to be more filomeno or erpen than emilio or fred. Then in March we'll hear Tom Soehn say, "nobody else is coming".

FAIL

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Wow, so I realize that this isn't at all linked in, but since I'm acting like I'm on Christmas break already, and with Goff's blessing, I'll post this.

Does anyone who speaks Portugese read this thing? Does this goal actually stand? And sheesh, but we thought we had a bad time with Central American referees ...

Posted by: Cheeky | December 19, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

My bad. I didn't mean to cross any lines or break any rules. My only intention was to share the link. In sharing the link I was hoping to start a discussion amongst DCU fans (who know more about the team than I do) as to whether or not this rumor has any substance or if the rumor had surfaced before. Again, my apologies.

Not to be argumentative but how would an infrequent visitor, somebody who rarely reads the comments section, or rarely posts a comment know not to post such a link? Are there soccer insider specific rules posted somewhere on this site?

Posted by: tsingletonvt | December 19, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

steven -
congrats on being named US Soccer's best blog for 2007
you deserve it
bruce

Posted by: bruce | December 19, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

The "ball boy goal" link was posted a while back on this blog and discussed then I believe.

Posted by: edgeonyou | December 19, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else hearing rumblings of a Miami expansion team sooner rather then later? The Miami newspaper is reporting that the council just approved a bill that would help finance a stadium where the orginial Orange Bowl is.

Posted by: DC United Fan | December 19, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Again, my apologies.

-------

No worries, my friend.

We have no written rules per se, but as issues emerge, I try to provide some guidelines.

Welcome!

Posted by: Goff | December 19, 2007 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Steve - Congrats on your honor. It is well deserved. I look forward to many years of interesting and first hand news about our favorite sport. You're a good man. Keep it up!

Posted by: Crazy Al | December 19, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Patience.

Posted by: Goff

Me feels you ask too much. Or don't you "read your readers?" ;-)

Posted by: marksman | December 19, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC United Fan | December 19, 2007 04:17 PM
----------------------------------------

That's great news, but what could they possibly do to jump ahead of other cities that are already in the queue? Also, would the failure of one of MLS' charter franchises in nearby Ft. Lauderdale be a cause for concern?

Posted by: 22201 | December 19, 2007 6:46 PM | Report abuse

The Fusion got drummed out because Horowitz was badly undercapitalized, having missed cash calls. (The Mutiny were contracted because they were owned by the league, who couldn't sell them.)

A wealthy, committed investor/operator would move Miami to the front of the queue, and a stadium would cinch the deal. Cf. Philly, who don't have mega-rich investor group together yet, OR a stadium, or St. Louis, who are a bit further on the stadium but not as far on the ownership thing.

MLS would put a team in Grand Forks tomorrow, if there were a rich enough guy who wanted it. There is no "queue" as such.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | December 19, 2007 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Awesome news on Tabatznik possibly getting that job. Great coach and so is Tucker. Good luck to both of them!

Posted by: justafan | December 20, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse