Till Tuesday

*MLS is expected to announce today the opening weekend schedule (March 29-30). I do know DCU will start the season on the road (perhaps at champion Houston?) and play its home opener a week later.

*Travis Perkins, older brother of DCU goalkeeper Troy Perkins, has made it through qualifying school to join 26 others in earning a PGA Tour card next season.

*If you ever wanted to meet Bobby Boswell (and who wouldn't?), he is scheduled to attend the Screaming Eagles Holiday Happy Hour tonight from 6 to 8 at the Grand Slam sports bar inside the Grand Hyatt at Metro Center. The Eagles will also collect toys for United for D.C., the ballclub's charitable arm. I'm also told the group will collect "individually wrapped soft junk food to send to one of our SEs who is serving in Iraq (Twinkies and such is what he requested)."

*United's online auction is up and running and the team's equipment sale will take place Friday. All proceeds benefit United for D.C.

*Champions League today: Milan-Celtic (ESPN2, 2:30). Milan is already through to the knockout round, while Celtic needs a tie to seal their passage. If the Scottish side loses, Shakhtar can seize the second slot with a home victory over last-place Benfica (ESPN Deportes, 4:45 taped).

Ronaldo/Man U video:

By Steve Goff  |  December 4, 2007; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Q&A Continued
Next: United Openers Appear Set

Comments

Steve Goff is a man whose voice carries.

Posted by: Stan | December 4, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Why is DC United selling a Cuauhtemoc Blanco Autographed Jersey?

Posted by: Bart | December 4, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Why is DC United selling a Cuauhtemoc Blanco Autographed Jersey?

Posted by: Bart | December 4, 2007 10:40 AM

------------------------------------

Cause the goal is to raise a lot of money.

Posted by: Brian | December 4, 2007 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Is anyone else completely disgusted by Cristiano Ronaldo? The guy seems arrogant beyond belief. He doesn't even really celebrate anymore, just maybe smiles and spreads his arms like in a "Yeah, I'm that good" kind of gesture. I mean I guess when you're dominating like that you can do whatever you want, but give me someone like Emilio anyday, someone who acts like it's the greatest thing that's ever happened to him every single time he scores.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 4, 2007 10:46 AM | Report abuse

can anyone find ronaldo's "dive" during the fulham game? I couldn't get it on youtube and it's not on the above video...

Posted by: therealfan | December 4, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Congrats to Travis! Getting through the PGA's Q school might be the hardest thing in the history of sports.

Posted by: Adam Spangler | December 4, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

So Milan isn't having the best run-up to the FIFA World Club Cup. In Argentina, there is a basic assumption that Boca will play Milan in the finals, but Pachuca really could knock them out. So will Goff be flying to Japan to report on this competition, too? :)

Posted by: Lost in BA | December 4, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere Houston is going to be at New England for their opening game, so I think they are out of the question.

Posted by: Edward | December 4, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bluemeanies | December 4, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

the Blanco jersey can be used for either
1.) Voodoo
2.) Effigy

That is all.

Posted by: dtd | December 4, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the CL head's up -- I had no idea...

Eh, I think CR is just having fun. But if I cared -- eg I were a Fulham player or fan -- I might think differently.

Posted by: RK | December 4, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

"Can we be at San Jose to start their new team up? Probably would seem historically approriate.

Posted by: bluemeanies | December 4, 2007 11:10 AM "

That would be the Red Bulls.

Posted by: Edward | December 4, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Why does United always have to open the road? That just blows...

Posted by: DirtyHarry | December 4, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

The Shakhtar-Benfica match has more to it than just bragging rights. The top two in the group go on in Champions League, but number three goes straight into the UEFA Cup. Not great, but better than nothing. A Benfica win gets them a European future.

Forca Benfica!

Posted by: Troy | December 4, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Why does United always have to open the road? That just blows...

Posted by: DirtyHarry | December 4, 2007 11:19 AM

------------------------------------

They opened away from 96-99, but four of the last eight season-openers have been at home (06, 04, 01, 00).

Posted by: Brian | December 4, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

The past two seasons I've been down on Christiano Ronaldo. Seemed too prissy to get his boots dirty. But this season I think he's putting it all together. I have to give it to the kid. He's scored some brilliant goals. If he doesn't win footballer of the year it'll be a crime.

Posted by: Matte | December 4, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

With Ronaldo's diving and lame celebrations as of late aside, you cannot deny that those two goals were spectacular. He is that good but he is cocky.

Posted by: peridigm | December 4, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

For about 18 months Ronaldo has been the best player in the world. Get over how he acted when he was younger and enjoy watching him. And his dive was avoiding a dangerous play by the opposing goalie and probably saved the guy a red card.

Posted by: Sir Alex | December 4, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Steve! Devon McTavish and Jamil Walker will also be at the United For DC/SE Happy Hour tonight at the Grand Slam (just got confirmation earlier today). All our welcome to come.

K

Posted by: SEKim | December 4, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I meant all are (not our) welcome tonight (geez, maybe I've already started happy hour! ;-p)

K