United Openers Appear Set

I'm hearing that, pending final league approval, DCU will open the 2008 season on March 29 at Kansas City and have the honor of being the first visiting team at CommunityAmerica Ballpark. While Arrowhead undergoes renovation, the Wizards will share the park across the river in Kansas (capacity 10,000 for soccer) with something called the Kansas City T-Bones. Click here to see how the soccer field will fit into baseball dimensions.

United is scheduled to play its home opener at RFK on April 5 against Toronto FC.

By Steve Goff  |  December 4, 2007; 11:08 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Till Tuesday
Next: Updates

Comments

capacity 10,000? sad thing is, it probably won't be full.

Posted by: Troy | December 4, 2007 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Goff, any info on the Rochester Ragin Rhinos situation? Sounds like Paetec Park might bee empty next year. Eek.

Posted by: Logan Circle | December 4, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Not a bad warm up match. Hopefully it will be televised on a channel I have.

Posted by: Glaucon | December 4, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Paetec empty? I doubt it. Under different ownership, probably.

The jewel of USL? Severely tarnished.

Now every time pro soccer in this country tries to convince a govt to help out, critics can point to Rochester (if not already pointing at Virginia Beach). Thanks USL!

I had been wondering why Garber has dropped Rochester from his list.

Posted by: undrafted | December 4, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I'd argue Rochester has been dropped due to bigger / more important cities stepping up -- StL, Seattle, Philly, San Jose, etc...

Posted by: RK | December 4, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

That's part of it, no doubt. Rochester no longer makes sense for a $40m valued franchise and much better options have emerged.

But before, Rochester was always a nice bargaining chip (when threatening to relocate & otherwise driving up the price for expansion). It was a good way to convince the St Louis & Philly's out there that they had to get a SSS. Now it may work the opposite way. Easy ammunition for critics. Burnt bridges in the NY state government (since NYC2 is being considered).

Posted by: undrafted | December 4, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

"sad thing is, it probably won't be full."

Are you kidding? It'll sell out by March 20. And it'll sell out for at least 10 games next year, probably more. As a shared baseball stadium, there will be problems that DC fans are very familiar with, but it's perfectly scaled for KC.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | December 4, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Wow! A lot of news. Finally, I can see the light coming even though United's home game is not untill April. I am going to enjoy 2008 season. All fans from VA: keep your faith alive. Mr. Goff, always great.

Posted by: td | December 4, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope they don't drop the first opening match in a new home like they did last year. Looking forward to a new season with Ver... wait, I don't want to jinx it.

Posted by: peridigm | December 4, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Since we have lots more experience playing on a baseball diamond the KC, we should win by five goals - all off bad bounces. Soehn should tell the players to shoot from anywhere on the field.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | December 4, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

The stadium seating set up looks god awful. You would be better off not watching the game then paying to watch from the home plate area.

Posted by: Southeasterner | December 4, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

wow, they need to just move that team to St Louis already

Posted by: pat | December 4, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I just read the rumor that Shevchenko is going to finally be dumped by Chelsea and that he is working out a deal to MLS.

Sheva United!

Posted by: trip | December 4, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I would hate to sit in the south west corner.

An ocean between the stands and pitch.

Posted by: James | December 4, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what the pitch dimensions will be at the KC Park. Narrow like Houston? Anyway even with the quirky configuration, it should be alot different viewing experience than Arrowhead stadium and that plastic stuff they have been playing on. Long live bermuda grass.

Posted by: sbg | December 4, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

And to think that United thought they had played their final game on a baseball diamond.....

Posted by: Kim | December 4, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else completely disgusted by Cristiano Ronaldo? The guy seems arrogant beyond belief. He doesn't even really celebrate anymore, just maybe smiles and spreads his arms like in a "Yeah, I'm that good" kind of gesture. I mean I guess when you're dominating like that you can do whatever you want, but give me someone like Emilio anyday, someone who acts like it's the greatest thing that's ever happened to him every single time he scores.

Posted by: | December 4, 2007 10:46 AM
-----------------------------------------

Except for instances like during that 4-1 win against Toronto on Sept. 29 when Moreno scored the 3rd goal for DCU himself instead of passing to an open Emilio in the middle of the box leaving Emilio to throw his hands up in disgust and let the expression on his face and his overall body language show he was disgusted/upset that HE didn't get the ball passed to him for HIS chance to score.

Even though the TEAM scored to make it 3-1, he was upset that HE didn't get to score. Luckily for Emilio, he did get HIS goal on that sweet left-footed volley from the previous shot that hit off the crossbar.

Posted by: I Pooped My Pants | December 4, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Look at George, giving it to old T-Bone!

Posted by: Kruger Industrial Smoothing | December 4, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

coco!

Posted by: Anonymous | December 4, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

And to pile on, I've rarely noticed Emilio congratulating his teammates who collaborated on his goal. He goes off and does his one-man celebration instead. Oh, well, it seems he is well-liked by the team anyway.

Posted by: Hedbal | December 4, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Opener in Kansas? Kill me now. Getting the Barra there's gonna be a royal pain.

Posted by: Chico | December 4, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

The wizards have a depth chart on their site? Vow, if only the rest of the league could follow and just give up their formation and srtategy.

Posted by: BozforPrez | December 4, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, y'all are right, DCU should trade that selfish Emilio immediately! Most selfish player in soccer history! Clearly, they should go out and find a sketchy character like the Nationals acquired yesterday instead.

(sigh)

Posted by: Goff | December 4, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

But Goff, I thought we already have a team thug... Benny...

Posted by: James | December 4, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

A Royal pain? Was that a KC pun?

Posted by: RK | December 4, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I Pooped My Pants | December 4, 2007 01:16 PM

Yah you're definitely right about that. I think it's a different mentality though. Emilio could definitely be called a selfish player, but that's not necessarily a bad trait for a striker. From everything else I've seen, he seems like a great teammate (I know Bobby loves him). I think the selfishness is limited to on-field stuff and is largely just the result of adrenaline, competitiveness, and a love of scoring goals. Ronaldo, on the other hand, just seems plain arrogant and takes being so talented for granted.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 4, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

why no t-bone?

Posted by: PKTaker | December 4, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

To argue the counter of the selfishness viewpoint:

I've long argued that it's American coaching/mentality from youth ball up that stifles the production of a talented scorer in this country.

Children that show such potential are often encouraged to share the wealth with teammates and learn to pass more. While it appears that this tactic is aimed at eliminating the ball hogs - it may in fact be retarding a player's ability to develop the "killer instinct" many of us pine for in our under producing strikers at both club and international levels.

Posted by: UVA-United | December 4, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

10,000 fans all in the corner of the field. weird...

Posted by: PKTaker | December 4, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

To argue the counter of the selfishness viewpoint:

Posted by: UVA-United | December 4, 2007 03:09 PM

I don't know..........guys in hockey like Adam Oates and Wayne Gretzky were taught from an early age that an assist is as important or more important than the final strike. Goal scorers can't score without the ball/puck, can they?
I say let the guy do what he does best.....and let him enjoy it.

Posted by: marksman | December 4, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Sheva United!

Posted by: trip | December 4, 2007 12:59 PM

Everything I've read has him going back to Serie A.
But man, would that be a nice guy to have around, or what?

Posted by: marksman | December 4, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

10,000 fans all in the corner of the field. weird...

Posted by: PKTaker | December 4, 2007 03:11 PM
-------------------

In a macabre way, I'm looking forward to watching it on TV. Could be worse, they could play on a NASCAR or horse racing infield.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | December 4, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

You know it's going to be a long post-season when United "fans" are complaining about a guy who LED THE FREAKING LEAGUE IN GOALS AND WON THE LEAGUE MVP AWARD!

I don't care how much you enjoyed reading Fever Pitch, guys. That doesn't mean you have to complain about every little thing just so you can feel like a real soccer fan.

Posted by: Brian | December 4, 2007 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: UVA-United | December 4, 2007 03:09 PM
you are 100% right. Anyone who has looked at the youth soccer skills coaching DVD's/manuals will me mortified to see the kind of things they teach kids.
To marksman's point, it's true a good assist man is important, however, to have the hunger and desire to pound the ball into the net from your youth is unacceptable.
Good assistmen develop later in life. Most point guards in basketball start out as shooting guards in youth leagues where point play is basically non-existent. I'd rather we teach kids to want to learn to strike the ball with conviction than look for the open guy first and then shoot.

Posted by: papa bear | December 4, 2007 8:55 PM | Report abuse

What about the opening for the concacaf champions cup? I was messinbg about at work and 3/4 of the slots are filled-including harbourview, the team we played a couple years ago. Concacaf champions cup, interliga championship, supporters shield, mls cup. All to dcu.

Posted by: time for the quadruple | December 4, 2007 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Brian! What the heck is wrong with you people who now hate Emilio? Emilio is ruthless and wants to score all the time - in other words he is a striker. Keep throwing those hands up Emilio!

As far as Ronaldo - he is the best footballer in the world - if he is arrogant so be it - he deserves to be arrogant when he has worked as hard as he has AND it pays off. He is amazing.

Posted by: WTF? | December 5, 2007 7:45 AM | Report abuse

How much for season tix on the grassy knoll, er, berm???

Posted by: J.F.K. | December 5, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I don't know Brian, sometimes I think we deserve the most whiniest fans in MLS tag the rest of the league's affixed to us.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | December 5, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I-270, Exit 1, there would be a lot of empty seats, but now that you mentioned it, I'm surprised the Bristol owner hasn't tried to gain some publicity by trying to attract a soccer match to the raceway. A few years ago he pretended to court UT and VT for a neutral site football game with a few million going to each school.

Posted by: sitruc | December 5, 2007 6:30 PM | Report abuse