World Champions, NCAA Champions

AC Milan defeats Boca Juniors, 4-2, in Yokohama to claim the FIFA Club World Cup title. Video highlights here.

Meantime, Messi will miss next weekend's Barca-Real showdown with a foot injury.

Today at 3 p.m. (ESPN2), it's the NCAA final at Cary with No. 2 Wake Forest facing No. 5 Ohio State. Share your pregame, in-game and postgame thoughts here.

In China, the USA under-23s score three, then concede three and settle for a tie.

By Steve Goff  |  December 16, 2007; 11:10 AM ET
Categories:  World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Aftermath (Veron and NCAAs)
Next: NCAAs, the Aftermath

Comments

After watching all of those 5:00 matches, I forgot about the final.

Posted by: sitruc | December 16, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Let's go Wake!

Posted by: Tom | December 16, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like the China match turned into a tense one with some great Chinese officiating.

Posted by: sitruc | December 16, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I am a bit skeptical of AC Milan's win over Boca. Arguably the best player in the world, Riquelme, was not allowed to participate in the Club World Cup. Who knows what the result would have been if he had played.

Posted by: DC United Fan | December 16, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I know folks, myself included, are skeptical of the club world cup but it was actually a helluva game.

Posted by: good game | December 16, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Ohio State for the win!
Shame the title could not have stayed in the Americas.

Posted by: Garret | December 16, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Man U - Liverpool and Arsenal - Chelsea were great matches. Let's hope Wake Forest - Ohio State is another good one!

Posted by: 12th man | December 16, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

no PK's

Posted by: JSF | December 16, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

GOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLL!

OSU 1-0.

Posted by: 22201 | December 16, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

If you're not near a TV, this link may be useful for audio/gametracker:

Posted by: 22201 | December 16, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

2 awful non-calls against Wake in the first half:
1. Clear PK that the ref ignored. Not even close to playing the ball.
2. Cheap shot off the ball against Phelan that should have been a yellow, at minimum, if the ref saw it.

Posted by: Tom | December 16, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I believe there was a fair bit of rain overnight in the Triangle area, just as there was in the Washington area, but the pitch looks just fine.

Also, I was expecting an overwhelmingly pro-Wake crowd, but there is a lot of red in the stands. Then again, Ohio State is a very large institution, minting new alumni by the thousands, so you would probably find a lot of OSU alums coming out of the woodwork, no matter where a game like this is held.

Posted by: 22201 | December 16, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Nice game, but Magill is a massive weak link in the Buckeye attack.

Posted by: franz goffka | December 16, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Did Wake perhaps get the benefit of a no-call on that ball that may or may not have crossed the touchline just before the Tracy goal? The instant replay was not from the best angle.

Posted by: 22201 | December 16, 2007 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Incorrect call, but either way the linesman was guessing. Better to err on the side of letting them play.

Posted by: franz goffka | December 16, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

The linesman was right there -- you have to believe he made the right call.

What on earth was the OSU keeper crying about on the 2nd WF goal???

Posted by: RK | December 16, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

What was OSU's keeper complaining about on that second WF goal? I saw nothing that was even close to offside or anything else.

Posted by: 22201 | December 16, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

The OSU keeper got a yellow card for his efforts, which I'm not sure the BSPN2 crew picked up on.

Posted by: 22201 | December 16, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

He was saying handball, but I sure didn't see it.

Pity that the injury to Gabel will probably cost Ohio State the game. Lomnicki has been an absolute disaster. All the same, Wake deserves the title.

Posted by: franz goffka | December 16, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Being "right there" may have been the problem. It is easier to make that call if you are viewing it from up the line in either direction.

Posted by: 22201 | December 16, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

College soccer really needs to ditch the countdown clock. All this play-acting and time-wasting is worse than Italy.

Posted by: franz goffka | December 16, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I just rewound the tape and replayed the winning goal in slo-mo a few times. I saw nothing that looked like a handball.

Posted by: 22201 | December 16, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Whiny goalie was grasping at straws, I guess -- and you're right, ESPN didn't pick up on the well-deserved yellow.

Posted by: RK | December 16, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Why DOES college soccer not follow the FIFA system of timing a game/substitutions? Anybody know?

Posted by: Juan-John | December 16, 2007 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure Wake fans are happy enough winning today, but in the back of their minds, they've got to be thinking about a dynasty. Has there ever been a college soccer program so deep in young, skilled players?

Posted by: franz goffka | December 16, 2007 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps so that more players can get PT -- that's my theory, anyway. It isn't as if FIFA rules are followed in high school, either.

Posted by: RK | December 16, 2007 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Previous dynasties have included Indiana around the turn of the current century; Virginia in the 90s; and St. Louis in the 60s and early 70s. There has only been an NCAA championship since 1959; if there had been such a competition before mid-century, Penn State would have been up there. However, the number of schools fielding teams, and the depth of the competition, didn't really take off until about 1980. As I recall, when I first starting following college soccer in the early 70s, the NCAA championship involved a 24-team field, and that was before Divisions II and III were spun off. A 48-team field such as they have today would have been a joke. Thus, pre-1980 "dynasties" should be discounted a bit. For more information go to:

Posted by: 22201 | December 16, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

*OSU center back Brunner played for the Terps in College Cup a few years ago. Would like to see DCU pick up someone like that in the draft. Very strong in the air.

*Valentin and the freshman for Wake were pretty damn good as well.

*no red card for boot in the face?

Posted by: WNT fan | December 16, 2007 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Welp, if Maryland can't win it, I'm glad it stayed in the ACC.

Go deacs.

Posted by: Colm | December 16, 2007 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Ohio State for the win!
Shame the title could not have stayed in the Americas.

Posted by: Garret | December 16, 2007 01:52 PM

I know it's tough Garret, but North Carolina and Ohio are right NEAR the Americas. At least it didn't go too deep into that otherworldly inner countryside, like West Virgina.

Posted by: spectre | December 16, 2007 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Well I was talking about the World Club Championships. ;)

Posted by: Garret | December 16, 2007 8:55 PM | Report abuse

just got back from the game. almost too perfect the way the game went in my opinion if you think about all the storylines...it was great to get to see my school win a second national championship (i was working at the field hockey nat'l championship last year). hope you all enjoyed the game as much as i did! GO DEACS!

Posted by: akdeac31 | December 16, 2007 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Adu and Benfica lose, but check out his moves 2/3rds of the way through:

Posted by: RK | December 16, 2007 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for that link, RK. Sweet moves by Freddy.

Posted by: Glaucon | December 16, 2007 11:39 PM | Report abuse

West Virginia got knocked out by both the men's and women's champions.

Small consolation, but kind of cool.

Posted by: Whip | December 16, 2007 11:46 PM | Report abuse

2 draws versus China is unacceptable. The U-23's won't be moving on to the Olympics if this kind of form continues.

Sure the game tying goal was on a dubious penalty, but still, giving up 3 in the second half is horrible.

Posted by: papa bear | December 17, 2007 4:34 AM | Report abuse

papa bear, did you notice that Nowak subbed out half the team at half time? "Everybody plays" AYSO style substitution. Tim Ward came in for Stuart Holden at half. You think Nowak will do that in the Olympics?

Don't take too much from this match. Nowak's tweaking positions and formations. He did mention that he found out some players who didn't perform well under pressure. Take a look at the second half line up. Some of those guys won't be on the final roster....

Posted by: jeff_adams | December 17, 2007 5:16 AM | Report abuse

I was at the Benfica game. Incredibly sloppy, incredibly boring...then they put Freddy in. Electric change: where Benfica hadn't put a shot on goal all game, Freddy put those moves you saw on the video seconds after coming on, assisted on a goal a few minutes later (called back for offsides), and then had a lunging desperate try in the final seconds. Benfica is a completely different team with him on the field.

Posted by: Troy | December 17, 2007 6:20 AM | Report abuse

*Valentin and the freshman for Wake were pretty damn good as well.

Posted by: WNT fan | December 16, 2007 06:58 PM

What's the rules on the college draft again? Are only seniors eligable for the draft or can teams draft younger kids and hold onto their MLS rights until they graduate?

People love to bash the US college soccer system but it seems to be producing better players each year. I would much rather have a pro MLS league strongly supported by a strong college sport like the NFL and NBA rather than a strange system of minor leagues like MLB or junior clubs like MLS is going for now.

Posted by: Southeasterner | December 17, 2007 7:56 AM | Report abuse

-----------------------------

Jeez, I hope not. I think one of the appealling things about NCAA soccer is that schools can compete at the highest level with legitimate scholar-athletes. Wake had three starters who were All-Academic with GPAs well over 3.0 in rigorous majors. ND, OSU, Tech all had kids on the list as well. As long as a crowd of 8,000 for the championship game is considered "packed," I don't think we have to worry about soccer becoming the next college basketball or football.

Posted by: WNT fan | December 17, 2007 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Reminds me of some of his time with DC, when he'd provide such a spark and United was stronger with him on the field...yet he'd still be the last on, or the first off.

He's still 18, so there's time. He's realizing his potential now.

Re the U-23s...what a fix. Pathetic.

Posted by: Re Freddy | December 17, 2007 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: WNT fan | December 17, 2007 08:25 AM
-----------------------------------------

It was considered "packed" because it was, given the venue that was used. (Ditto for the women's champtionship, which also drew about 8,000 at Texas A&M.) The next step is to try to pack an MLS-sized SSS.

Posted by: 22201 | December 17, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

A couple of thoughts on players from the title match yesterday.

Tracy is the real deal. If he goes pro he will go early, long before United gets to pick.

Would love to see Espinoza of OSU in black & red. He would fill Gros' spot on the wing quite nicely. If he's on the board when DC picks I'd grab him. But he probably won't be.

Wake's center back was awesome.

Arnaud of Wake...any relation to the KC guy? Just wondering.

Posted by: CMJ | December 17, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

*Wake's guy is Arnoux, not Arnaud

* NCAA men play next year in Frisco SSS so we'll see what they draw there.

Posted by: WNT fan | December 17, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 22201 | December 17, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

*Wake's guy is Arnoux, not Arnaud

Posted by: WNT fan | December 17, 2007 01:56 PM

---

OK...thanks for the clarification.

Posted by: CMJ | December 17, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for posting the damn score before I had a chance to watch the match I Tivo'd.

Posted by: Gary B | December 17, 2007 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Gary B: You are apparently unfamiliar with the rules around here. Goff explicitly invited us to "[s]hare your pregame, in-game and postgame thoughts here." I don't see how that can be done without referring to the score, do you? If this is a problem for you, then you should simply stay away from here until after you have watched your recording.

Posted by: 22201 | December 18, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't talking about the comments. I was talking about Goff's report of the FIFA Club World Cup score. I avoided all the news sites so I wouldn't see the score. I shouldn't expect to see the score on the Soccer "Insider" site as the score is hardly and insider matter. It's not like he gave some in-depth analysis/reason of why Milan won over Boca or anything.

Regardless, I deleted the match and watched the Chelsea/Arsenal match instead. I value Goff's soccer insider posts, but I don't think he needs to post the scores. I can find out "what" happened on regular soccer sites. What I come here for is to find out what "will" happen.

I mean seriously, give a brutha a break!

Posted by: Gary B | December 18, 2007 11:08 PM | Report abuse