Arguez Out, All of Latin America In

*D.C. United's transfer of 19-year-old midfielder Bryan Arguez to Hertha Berlin has been finalized, sources close to the negotiations confirmed. Don't be surprised to see an official announcement today or Monday.

Jose Carvallo? Yes, he's here and the deal is just about done.
Gonzalo Peralta? Whereabouts unknown, but the deal is close.
And, um, that other guy, what's his name? Mike Gallego? No, that's not it. Ah, Marcelo Gallardo. Yup, just about finalized.

What else?

*How about an England-Germany friendly in Berlin?

*As we told you weeks ago, former MLS midfielder Chris Henderson is set to join expansion Seattle, which will begin play in 2009. Henderson left Kansas City, where he was an assistant, and interviewed for a job with Colorado. The Rapids, however, plan to hire an assistant from Arsenal's organization. Now he's landed in his native Washington state to become the club's technical director.

By Steve Goff  |  January 25, 2008; 1:24 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gomez Continued and Other Morsels
Next: Breaking Women's News, Guzan, DCU and Terps

Comments

wow if Goff is reporting as "just about finalized" I'm actually going to start believing it's going to happen.

Posted by: pat | January 25, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

yay! If we hire all of south america, were's sure to beat south american teams in tournament play!

Posted by: DCAustinite | January 25, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Color me excited for the upcoming season.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | January 25, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

All of Latin America EXCEPT Christian Gomez.

Posted by: argo0 | January 25, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

...and Veron.

Posted by: argo0 | January 25, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Is there any word on whether Martinez, Peralta, or Carvallo speak much English? I figure out of that group Martinez is a starter, while Peralta and Carvallo should push McTavish and Wells, respectively, for their jobs. If Peralta wins the job and we have a back four of Namoff, Peralta, Martinez, and Burch, we could have some communication issues if they come in with no knowledge of English. Somehow, I'm not expecting us to somehow have signed more South American center backs whose mothers happen to teach English (like Erpen).

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | January 25, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

What a week!! All this United news AND I learned a few days ago that Neil Young and Rick James were in a band together (The Mynah Birds) back before Neil was in Buffalo Springfield. Who knew?

I wonder if I'll find out I was adopted over the weekend?!?

Posted by: Kire | January 25, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Carvallo is fluent in English, not sure about the others.

Posted by: Goff | January 25, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I totally have that Mike Gallego card.

Posted by: jon | January 25, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

how about burch & mctavish knowing spanish ?

Posted by: Anonymous | January 25, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Steve, is Gallardo due to be here in time for Monday's opening training session?

Posted by: Chico | January 25, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

-- DCAustinite

LOL

DC United, aka - South America North? Columbrazbolitina?

Posted by: Anonymous | January 25, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

forgot one Columbrazbolitinaperu

Posted by: United fury | January 25, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if I'll find out I was adopted over the weekend?!?

Posted by: Kire | January 25, 2008 01:42 PM

As a long time Rick James and Teena Marie fan, I didn't... but my uncle claims to have known. Also, you were bred by the US government in a petri dish. The people who raised you were actually government agents.

Posted by: sitruc | January 25, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I'd give Carvallo the Open Cup games and maybe the Superliga

Posted by: United fury | January 25, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Distrito del Colombia, Unidos.

Posted by: Sean | January 25, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

D.C. United Nations!

anyone? anyone? (bueller?)

Posted by: d, dc | January 25, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Check this out!

This is good news for Michael Bradley! I definitely think he is ready for the EPL.

Posted by: Garrett | January 25, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

how about burch & mctavish knowing spanish ?
========================================

this here's Amurka. They can learn Amurrkan.

Posted by: G.W. Bush | January 25, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Looks like a good group coming together, hope they can gell as a team! I just missed United in FL by a week, I am bummed. Guess I have to wait for the season to start.

Posted by: Excited am I | January 25, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

All the concern here about language difficulties reminds me of the stories told of the all-time lovable losers, the 1962 New York Metroplitans:

From wikipedia: The band's name comes from a baseball anecdote. During the 1962 season, New York Mets center fielder Richie Ashburn and Venezuelan shortstop Elio Chacón found themselves colliding in the outfield. When Ashburn went for a catch, he would scream, "I got it! I got it!" only to run into the 160-pound Chacón, who spoke only Spanish. Ashburn learned to yell, "¡Yo la tengo! ¡Yo la tengo!" which is "I have it" in Spanish. In a later game, Ashburn happily saw Chacón backing off. He relaxed, positioned himself to catch the ball, and was instead run over by 200-pound left fielder Frank Thomas, who understood no Spanish. After getting up, Thomas asked Ashburn "What the heck is a Yellow Tango?".[

Posted by: Fisch Fry | January 25, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

This was the 60s, and James was in Canada, evading military service. Young has commented that it must have been just about the only R&B band that featured an acoustic 12-string guitarist.

Posted by: 22201 | January 25, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Damn, this has got me excited.

Question goff, are we so far the team with most Foreign players on our squad?

And also guys, i have a feeling this year should be good for us. Don't want to say more, cause i dont want to jinx it. But man i gotta goooood feeling in my gut. :)

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | January 25, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Mike Gallego? Go A's!

Posted by: JJH | January 25, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | January 25, 2008 01:42 PM
--------------------------------------------

Actually, you've got the facts slightly wrong -- Erpen's mother was a kung-fu instructor.

Posted by: edgeonyou | January 25, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I was planning this for Veron, but:

Bienvenidos a Washington, Sr. Gallardo!! Bienvenidos a todos!!

If the two Gonzalos can keep us from making bone-head blunders in the playoffs, the're most welcome. El Muñeco -- we will demand a lot more than that. Bring us a trophy and you will be loved like never before.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | January 25, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

What's up with Villa trying to steal away Guzan?

Posted by: quakes fan | January 25, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

And also, let me add in since san lorenzo couldn't get Gallardo, they are now after Real Zaragoza's D'Alessandro agrentine international.

I'd love to have him over Gallardo, but IMO is too young and most likely would have gone for us if we offered him a big pay check(thats not to say we didnt).

Bottom Line IMO we wont get 20something's in our DP spot until our league can be like argentina or brasil or mexico, which is a jumping point for big players that plan to go to europe after those big 3 leagues. In order for us to be considered a good league for imports to consider our league good for them, we need to participate in Copa Libertadores where La liga and Italy are watching more so, than the MLS in general, where the EPL watches.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | January 25, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

glad. For a season.

When the whole "starting eleven of foreigners" articles were coming out, I laughed.

I'm not laughing now.

DC needs at least one American to contribute to the attack. And I'm not talking about Olsen, much as ya gotta love last season.

Where will most of these guys be in three years? or even Next year? with one year loans and aging players, we don't seem to be thinking ahead very much.

Posted by: iagofart | January 25, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

"Neil Young and Rick James were in a band together"
------------------------------------------
This has been a great week! I found out the original drummer for Sonic Youth was the "relax, I'm a professional" parking attendant from Ferris Bueller...

Posted by: grumpy | January 25, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Not to worry about the language problems...our team will create a new language: spanueselish

Posted by: seahawkdad | January 25, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I am not sure the EPL is the best place for Bradley. Granted, he could learn alot from Arteta (one of best, most consistent players in the Premiership), but the physicality and pace are much different that in Holland. He is still really young, even by Premiership standard, especially so for such a key position that requires poise and cunning. I am not saying he can't, but he would most likely figure in the reserves, perhaps some Cup ties.

He would get more time in the Bundesliga. Two years of first team football there and he would be well prepared for the rigors of English football.

Guzan?!? Of course! He is a STEAL for an English club. The dollar has plummeted relative to the pound. Moreover, it says he is one/fifth the price of Scott Carson, who is no miracle keeper by any stretch. Good for Guzan. O'Neill is a legend. If Guzan has a desire to coach/manage later, O'Neill would be a good mentor.

Posted by: Erick | January 25, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Hello Goff: Just finished reading a BLOG on BBC.COM. They are saying that LANDON DONOVAN is on his way to England for negotiations with an unknown club. Tell me I am crazy for even giving this a second thought! But with the way all the Americans have been leaving and with Beckham training in England Right now, could it be possible that he is going overseas?

Posted by: usnavysrchief | January 25, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Thinking ahead does not work in MLS unless you hold people hostage a la NE.
Teams have to be re-built here. Youth can leave for europe whenever they are unhappy, and keeping them as reserves is not an option since they would only be paid $17k per year...

Posted by: jgildea | January 25, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Not that I'm a Colorado or, gasp, Arsenal fan, but it is kind of cool to see that the Rapids are going to hire someone from the Arsenal organization. A bunch of MLS teams (RSL-Real Madrid, Chivas-Chivas, Red Bull-Red Bull and not to mention MLS-Bundesliga) have partnerships but you rarely hear much about it outside of NYRB getting Austrian rejects or Chivas USA getting players from Guadalajara in their first season. Anything to aid in the development of soccer in America in my eyes is a good thing even if it involves Arsenal...that hurt to say.

Posted by: Nick | January 25, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

forgot one Columbrazbolitinaperu
Posted by: United fury

Release the Fury!! Sorry, left over from the Caps game last night...

I think I'd modify that to Columbrazbolitinaru. 'tinaru' has a nice ring to it - if a bit effeminate sounding - like some lost Incan city or a super-charged version of a caipirinha.

You can call us the Tina's but our South American matadors will slay your pink cow a--.

Then again, certain Teena Marie fans might not mind being called the Tina's...

Posted by: Kire | January 25, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

This is a bit lengthy. Apologies in advance.

I've been considering who could be making a move for Gomez. We've been told that 6 teams have shown interest, and that Colorado is definitely one. I think we can rule out the following:

LA (cap room)
Chivas USA (no DP slot)
Houston (DeRosario)
Chicago (Blanco)
NY (already maxed out on DP slots)
New England (ultra-cheap ownership seems set to run with Ralston at AM, with Albright replacing him on the right)
KC (they seem to be changing their formation to 3412 to suit Marinelli)

That leaves us with Columbus, Colorado, Dallas, Salt Lake, San Jose, and Toronto. Noting that DC needs wide players and has no Generation Adidas players, here are the plausible offers I can imagine these teams being willing to make while also suiting our needs:

Colorado: One of either Mastroeni (they're shopping him around), Jacob Peterson (GA winger/striker), Nico Colaluca (GA winger), or allocation money
Columbus: Tim Ward (GA outside back) or allocation money
Dallas: Anthony Wallace (GA defensive utility player)
RSL: Nathan Sturgis (GA defensive midfielder/center back) or allocation money
San Jose: Kei Kamara (GA winger/forward) or allocation money
Toronto: Allocation money (I'm guessing they won't be willing to ship us Mo Edu or Marvell Wynne)

So, just from this (which is all speculation), I'd say Colorado seems most likely. They desperately need to improve their playmaker as well as prove to their fan base that they actually do care about the team. Gomez does all that. They also have things we want: wide players with speed that are cap exempt. With the recent defensive signings/signings-to-be, players like Ward, Wallace, and Sturgis aren't really necessary. I don't see San Jose pursuing this too hard, as Yallop seems to favor his attacking midfielder to play deeper and put in more work than Gomez usually would, in the traditional English style (Ekelund and Beckham were both used this way). Thus, I feel Toronto (a team that needs a central creator) might emerge as the other serious contender. Sure, they only really have $$$ to offer, but at some point that money becomes more useful than a cap-exempt Peterson, for example.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | January 25, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Just heard that Terry Cooke requested a trade out of Colorado. He doesn't like Clavijo and doesn't like the apathetic fans. Loves playing in MLS though.

Cooke and allocation money for Gomez's rights???

Posted by: Landis | January 25, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Iagofart does have a point.

Look at the last four MLS Cup winners including United's cup. All those teams were made up of mainly Americans.

Posted by: United fury | January 25, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

---------------------

Erick

I have no doubt Guzan will be successful. I heard his transfer to Celtic was a mere formality (according to Ives) but this is the first thing I've seen about Villa. Of course it's from a Blog I've never heard of if Mr Goff announced it then I would take it more seriously.

Posted by: quakes fan | January 25, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

seahawkdad-

I don't know if you follow the Caps, but if you do you probably remember Esa Tikkanen, who often spoke in a hybrid of Finnish, English, Swedish, and other indecipherable sounds that was dubbed "Tikkanese".

Of course, if you follow the Caps and remember Tikkanen, then you surely remember his blown breakaway in OT of game 2 in 1998's Stanley Cup final, which saw Detroit go up 2-0 and basically was the back-breaking moment for the Caps.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | January 25, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Donovan to England? He's making a mistake staying in MLS- if he has a chance to go be a star on a mediocre EPL squad like Boro, West Ham or Bolton he should do it.

OR if that doesn't work out he can go play for America FC... I mean Fulham FC. :)

Posted by: Landis | January 25, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Senior Chief,

Just pray it is so!

Posted by: gilbert | January 25, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

The reason Landycakes won't go (back) to Europe is because he's a puss! He likes being a big fish in a small pond, doted on by ESPN.

And um Landis? You don't need to act like you've "heard" something when you just read it on the lame MLS Rumors blog. Seriously, that website is a mess - what's with that picture on the header? Two people, who think they're pretty, wearing sunglasses. Ridiculous.

Posted by: DE | January 25, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Chest, for that breakdown. That really helps put things in perspective.

Initially, I was excited about the prospect of Cooke. But thinking more about it, a young, cap-exempt American with lots of potential to grow and develop seems like a better investment for DCU and a more clever use of Gomez's unfortunate departure.

If we could entice either Peterson or Colaluca (or both!) with a higher salary for a multi-year contract. I have to admit, I am partial to Colaluca, for no other reason that he contributed so much at UVA.

Posted by: DCBird | January 25, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Donovan to England?

Maybe LA actually had a plan?? I know, its hard for me to believe also.

Posted by: marksman | January 25, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Guzan to the EPL where we can still see him play on TV!

Posted by: Golden Child | January 25, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Where are you reading about this Donovan rumor?

Posted by: DC United Fan | January 25, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kire | January 25, 2008 02:33 PM

You mean ColOmbrazbolitinaru, with an "o."

That is unless the Columbia you are referring to is DC and not the country Colombia.

Posted by: Sam | January 25, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

God, for both positive and negative reasons, get Landon the hell out of here.

I don't want to see him playing in MLS--1) I have to watch him then, and 2) he's not really going to improve here. And boy we need him to.

Posted by: viv | January 25, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

And I have to say, Peterson would be a good pick up, but in trading value for value, get Cooke. Can you imagine the Cooke to Emilio goals that will result from that? Like Casal's debut assist--only repeated over the course of a season!

Posted by: viv | January 25, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

If Chivas sell Guzan, they'll have allocation money that they could use to buy down the cap hit on Gomez's salary. They'd even have some leftover to use in a trade. Just throwing that out there...

Posted by: DCU | January 25, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

If you want young talent, trade him to RSL, they'll probably give you Sturgis, Findley, AA batteries, tickets to a lakers game, a headscratch and land in Montana all for the rights just to talk to Christian.

Posted by: Don Roritor | January 25, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Landon's not going anywhere, not while his wife is the star of a sitcom and making more $ than he is...That is, assuming the strike ever ends.

Posted by: DCU | January 25, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Defender Gonzalo Peralta is travelling to Washington to have a physical with DC United, according to his club in Argentina.

Almirante Brown president Juan Antonio Echeverria said the deal has not yet been finalized with DC United but the physical will determine whether talks continue.
The transfer is not closed," Echeverria said. "There is an interest in him. He is travelling to have the check-up. Then we have to wait to see the results."

The 27-year-old is due to arrive in Washington later on Friday.

"If everything is all right with him we are going to receive an offer, but we can't talk about money yet," Echeverria said. "He hasn't signed a contract with DC. It is very important to make that clear. Today, Gonzalo is a very important player for Almirante and with him we are going to evaluate his future. We have to follow these steps and then we are going to talk about the transfer."

Posted by: emanon | January 25, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I love Christian, but lets sell him somewhere he can get him some money and also will wallow in crapitutde, rather than come back to bite us in the ass, IE RSL or Colorado, as opposed to Chivas, where he coould be the engine that really makes that team spectacular.

Posted by: DCAustinite | January 25, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Hope some of these guys are better than Filomeno and Donnet. I will remain neutral until they show something on the MLS fields.

Posted by: MLS Fan | January 25, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have a good opinion on the best site for watching FREE Africa Nations Cup highlights?

Posted by: MtP | January 25, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

===========================================

I think they were casualties of Novak's style. I thought they had real potential as evidenced by how well they did post-united. I would have donnet back on the wing in a heartbeat with this squad.

Posted by: DCAustinite | January 25, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

The Latin American invasion if all our signed means we will have filled 7 of our 8 international spots. Also just yesterday we drafted Stratford that if we sign him takes the eighth. If Cooke does not have a green card that seems a waste because it would mean we almost certainly won't sign Stratford. If there was a deal that was looking good or interesting yesterday we don't draft Stratford (unless Cooke has a green card).

Posted by: bluemeanies | January 25, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Quakes Fan,

I agree, Guzan should do well. Celtic should be a dead end - Boruc, their #1, signed a contract extension through 2011 a few weeks ago. There is no point in going into a #2 situation. (Seitz as likely #3, I think Hahnemann's days are numbered...)

As I see it, Tim Howard is the USMNT #1, with Guzan as the #2 for the foreseeable future. If Guzan wants that #1 shirt, he needs first team football. He could get that at Villa.

With his size and skill, he would do well in Spain or Germany. I wonder if the language issue has him solely hoping for a team in the UK.

Posted by: Erick | January 25, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I'd be happy with a Gomez trade that somehow brought Wells Thompson over from NE. We need another workhorse winger of the Josh Gros mold.

Re: Gallardo... Wasn't the Veron deal "just about finalized" at one point...

Posted by: DCUMD | January 25, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MLS Fan | January 25, 2008 03:16 PM
_________________________________________

Those 2 guys IMO could have been great for DC, but both didnt get enough playing time to show their goods. Filo wasnt a regular starter ever, yet was the only guy to put one in for us against Getafe in the ass beating we recieved from them 3-1 in spain.
Its too bad he requested out, after he saw he wasnt getting alot of playing time and his club Nueva Chicago made it back to the first division. I really feel at his fairly young age he could have panned out to be something. He had an incredible year following his transfer back to argentina too!

and Donnet showed superior ball handling skill compared to our WHOLE team, but didnt get first team minutes either to show his worth, instead coming in at the 70th ish every other game. Also He wanted too much money at the time, if we could have had him for Fred money i would love to have him back right now. He could have been our crazy good right winger right now. :( I really liked this guy if you couldnt tell LOL.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | January 25, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Bolivian DC Fan - All I care about is MLS results. They didn't produce them for whatever reason. If these guys don't produce then United will be real bad this year.

Posted by: MLS Fan | January 25, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Landis | January 25, 2008 02:42 PM

You're assuming he can compete for and win a starting spot. That would mean working hard every day in practice.

Posted by: Assume | January 25, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

If any guys on any team don't produce they will be bad that year.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | January 25, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

-------------

Thompson is terrible. His defense is nonexistent and when it threatens to surface, it is only as a petulent tackle from behind. He overdribbles with his head down, crosses less (and maybe less accurately - I don't know since he never does it) than Josh and he does not score, either.

I much prefer disliking him on the Revs. Terry Cooke is ten times the player.

Posted by: Liverpool_SC | January 25, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

What if we trade Gomez's rights and some cash to RSL for Kyle Beckerman? He would develop well with our players (new ones especially) and could even improve his MNT situation. It's a good idea.

Posted by: Provacative Discussion Starter | January 25, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

__________________________________________

Great point!

Posted by: Mr. Agree | January 25, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I agree with wishing Donnet had gotten more time with the team. If we only had Fred for his first 6 games everyone would be calling him a total bust, it just takes some time to get integrated.

Posted by: pat | January 25, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm in need of a recap. Compiled from wikipedia . . .

So we've added 5 players, 3 of whom have played for their country at one time or another; center mid-Gallardo 32 y/o (Argentina 44 caps), central defender Martinez 32 y/o (Colombia, 36 caps), and goalkeeper Caravallo 22 y/o (Peru, 1 cap) and some younger players with marginal resumes but in needed positions; central defender Peralta 27 y/o, forward Niell 24 y/o.

And new nicknames of Muneco (the doll) and Enano (the dwarf)!!

Posted by: delantero | January 25, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Donnet wasn't a true winger, so his contribution was limited by the fact that he was expected to both play wide and defend all the way to the end line. He was better in the middle. Same, I think, with Fred, who doesn't seem to be a natural winger either. Now if we could just get Terry Cooke....

Posted by: Hedbal | January 25, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

The advanced, h. sapiens lobes of my brain know that our two tiny new attackers can score plenty of goals and indeed succeed, but my dumbass ape-relic cortex fears that many of the big wholesome MLS wheat-fed defenders will run them over.

Posted by: gringo | January 25, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I've got an idea, how about Gomez traded to Houston for Stuart Holden. He seems to be a promising wing midfielder.

Posted by: United fury | January 25, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Amen on Stuart Holden. Chances of Houston letting him go though are slim to none.

Posted by: viv | January 25, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: United fury | January 25, 2008 03:55 PM
-----------------------------------

I think Holden (like Fred and Donnet as discussed above) is better centrally, but was forced out to the wing because DeRo and Clark are ahead of him in the middle, plus Brad Davis was injured most of last season and Houston needed someone to fill in.

Plus, do we really want to send a former MVP to the defending champs?

Posted by: Kenobi | January 25, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Is Bryan Arguez 18 or 19 year old? DCU's website has 1/13/89 as his birthday, making him 19, but USSoccer's website has 11/13/89 as his birthday, which would mean he's 18.

I'm trying to understand if he's eligible to play in the U-20 World Cup in 2009... perhaps it doesn't matter which he is, if the cut-off is 1/1/89 for the 2009 tournament.

Posted by: Eugene | January 25, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

according to the Fifa 2007 U20 roster list, Arguez was born on Jan 13, 2989.

I believe that would make him eligible for the next U20 in 2009.

Posted by: Youngsters | January 25, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MLS Fan | January 25, 2008 03:28 PM
_____________________________________

I agree, winning in the league is everything, but as someone said about fred, if we had let him go after his first 6 games he'd be another donnet. It took him that long, and i feel if donnet would have been given a full season to play with us he'd still be with us playing on the right.

________________________________________-

Posted by: Hedbal | January 25, 2008 03:47 PM
_______________________________________

Terry Cooke?? MMMM... Maybe... but i'd rather have donnet, who IMO was slowly getting used to playing the wing, its not that hard. All you gotta do is have the fitness and he obviously had the ball skills and passing ability to do great things for us, its too bad he wasnt 100 percent up to shape in our mid level season mark.

He REALLY could have been something big with time.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | January 25, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Holden is a great player, but Houston will never trade him for Gomez...well, unless they want to use DeRosario as a forward now that Ngwenya is gone and Jaqua is on the way out as well.

Still, I don't see them going for it. Houston's model seems built on avoiding paying out Designated Player money to one guy, and instead spreading it around. They would likely rather use that $500K Gomez is asking for to pay 5 of their starters $100K.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | January 25, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

according to the Fifa 2007 U20 roster list, Arguez was born on Jan 13, 2989.

I believe that would make him eligible for the next U20 in 2009.

Posted by: Youngsters | January 25, 2008 04:26 PM
-----------------------------------

Not to mention making him the first player to time-travel backwards almost 1000 years just for the privilege of playing in a U-20 World Cup.

Posted by: Kenobi | January 25, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

All South Americans are belong to us!

Posted by: Dave | January 25, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

All these dream trades are nice, but what makes folks think that DCU will get anything for Gomez besides conditional picks and some cash?

Posted by: Billy Baroo | January 25, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Dont trade Gomez to an Eastern team...please.

Thank you.

Posted by: the cheat | January 25, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: UVA-United | January 25, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenobi | January 25, 2008 04:44 PM
=====================

Yeah. With his talent, we definitely got screwed on that transfer fee.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | January 25, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Billy Baroo-

I thought the things I listed were reasonable. It's not like we're offering up the rights to, say, Rusty Pierce. Gomez is a former league MVP and wants to stay in MLS if someone will give him the offer he wants (which is now public knowledge).

Maybe Sturgis was a stretch (kind of banking on RSL's usual follies), but the others? Peterson is a regular sub in Colorado, but with Cooke and Clark he's not going to crack the lineup. Colaluca is one step further down the bench. The Rapids are clearly desperate to offload Mastroeni, which is why I brought him up. Ward is still a backup in Columbus, a team that has not exactly lit up the league in his time there. Wallace isn't in the running to start at any of the positions he can play in Dallas, or even see minutes (Moor and Rhine on the right, Wagenfuhr and Wagner on the left, Serioux and Ricchetti at DM). Kamara has been OK, but you've got to figure he'll be a sub rather than a starter.

Gomez for Holden isn't happening, but I'd gladly take one of these GA players that aren't that important to their teams over allocation money.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | January 25, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Liverpool's Stanley Park home.

Posted by: UVA-United | January 25, 2008 05:05 PM
=================

Beware of the decepticon!

Posted by: Optimus Prime | January 25, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

I am soooo looking forward to the new season. As a long time openly gay United supporter, I can safely say this is both the best AND the HOTTEST team we have fielded since the Mario Gori era.

Color me excited? Hell, we are EN FUEGO, BABY!!!!!

Remember: We're here, we're queer, we're dousing you with beer! UNITED! UNITED QUEERS UNITED!!!!

Posted by: Queers UNITED | January 25, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

we'll be fine, just as long as Luciano Emilio is in charge of teaching every player on the team a new language. You're beautiful ! will mean: "Jay Heaps is about to kick you in the shins"

Posted by: diego r. | January 25, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

oh, and Terry Cooke would be exactly the type of wing player United could use. sounds like a good trade to me: Rapids get one of the best players in the league and automatically become at least decent. DCU gets one of the finest assist wingers in the league. Plus, trading Gomez to a crappy western conference is much better than trading him to somewhere where DC will play against him regularly

Posted by: diego r. | January 25, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

I guess I'm the only Germany Nats fan (born there--but support the USMNT first and foremost)
I have to say I'm disappointed we are playing a shoddy side like England...again. They constantly bring up 2001 but fail to realize they were playing a German C team in a game that was meaningless for us. No German considers England and arch rival. No one. Holland is by far the biggest rival. It's not even close. Mostly because Holland is actually capable of competing more often than not.
England is just horribly, horribly overrated.

Terry Cooke would be a great pickup for anyteam. He is the best RM in the league (unless Beckham starts playing out there again, then he is the best obviously) I would LOVE to see him in Chicago.

The Donovan bashing is so passe. The guy is the best player on the USMNT. Like it or not, its a fact. If he wasn't then everyone else should be scoring goals and creating dangerous opportunities at a prodigious rate.
The simple fact is he left Germany because he didn't adapt culturally and never learned the language. That's a lot tougher than many people realize. He could flourish on a weaker Prem side.

Posted by: papa bear | January 25, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

54 days to the first home match!

Posted by: Curious | January 25, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

I think Papa Bear is saying that England thinks of Germany like Maryland thinks of Duke. England / Maryland say it is their top rival but their "top rival" couldn't care less about whether they set couches on fire or if their team is terribly overhyped or if the coaches are generally lousy

Posted by: churtmah | January 26, 2008 1:03 AM | Report abuse

I have to say, I believe that England is the most overrated footballing country in the world. I would like them to prove me wrong, but I don't think it is going to happen

Posted by: churtmah | January 26, 2008 1:06 AM | Report abuse

As an American living in Germany, I can back up what PapaBear said. The Germans find the whole English obsession with beating Germany kind of amusing and well, strange. Germans sing songs about and think about beating Holland...that's their rival. England, while always sure to be difficult---and never to be taken lightly by Germany, well, the Insel-Affen just aren't that important really.

Getting good value for Gomez is the most important thing. It will be terribly disappointing if he goes without compensation. I like the idea of Cooke or Mastro. In addition to adding bite in midfield, Mastro can also play centrally in defense in a pinch in case one of the S. American's don't pan out. Just a thought

Posted by: todd11 | January 26, 2008 6:47 AM | Report abuse

I have to say I rue having to lose Gomez but Gallardo could be a step up. A full Argie international has, by definition, quality and experience in tough environments. The qaulity of the French league is very high. He will be a magnificent addition if he comes and if he cares.
I think the DC front office have out done themselves in scouring the world for quality at value. I am Very pumped for this year. We've been on the verge of domination for a couple of seasons but have just lacked that little bit extra. Now we seem to have it. Quality, experienced defenders (presumably), fresh legs up top along with returning quality. Jaime available as forward or A-mid. This is going to be great.

Posted by: RRP | January 26, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

And maestroeni speaks spanish....

But really all us fans should be asking the front office to bring us Terry Cooke!

Posted by: Black square | January 26, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------

*"tough environment" -- in his last major competition, didn't he draw straight red, and then stay on the field and claw a guy's face on the other team? If I'm right that's not good experience in a tough environment.

*the quality of the French league may be high, but Gallardo didn't play, that's why he left.

* a step up from back-to-back Supporters Shields and MVPs (one of them Gomez) is one thing -- MLS Cup. He better be good. And he better not claw someone like Chris Brown in the face if he values his life.

Posted by: WNT fan | January 27, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse