Morning Kickaround

*On the surface, the reports that Morelia is interested in acquiring MLS MVP Luciano Emilio seem awfully far-fetched, but I am hearing that the Mexican club may very well be serious about the prospect. Of course, it would take several millions of dollars to even get MLS's attention. Emilio's U.S.-based agent, Alex Solis, says: "No one has called me. As far as I know, there is nothing to it."

*Latin American press reports say that Guatemalan midfielder Freddy Thompson has attracted interest from Chivas USA and the Columbus Crew, and that Panamanian goalkeeper Jaime Penedo has been in contact with the New England Revolution but that he will likely remain with Municipal in Guatemala.

*Read about USA winger Jeremiah White here and Berlin-bound Bryan Arguez there.

*When you are 6 feet 6 and 205 pounds, it is hard not to be noticed. But because of a late-season knee injury, the University of Virginia's German giant, striker Yannick Reyering, is very much flying under the radar before the MLS draft. Reyering, whose NCAA eligibility was exhausted after his junior year, will be on the list of eligible players at the draft tomorrow in Baltimore. He led the ACC in goals with 13 this year before injuring a knee in the final moments of a loss at Maryland. Reyering underwent surgery to repair a torn ACL a week later and is on pace to be fully fit by June. In 56 career appearances for the Cavaliers, he had 39 goals and 10 assists.

Will an MLS team take a chance on him?

"Someone will take him and he will be a good pickup," Virginia Coach George Gelnovatch said. "He has got a lot to offer."

Reyering will not return to Charlottesville from winter break until early next week and plans to follow the draft online from home in Germany. Even if he is claimed by an MLS team, he could still end up heading back overseas to play for a lower-division club. (His agent is based in Europe.) It will depend on the contract offer and how patient the MLS side is willing to be with a player recovering from a serious injury.

"It's a shame what happened to him," Gelnovatch said. "No one was able to see him in the ACC tournament, in the NCAAs or at the combine. He's a little bit off the radar right now."

*Who are the top prospects in the draft? Take a look at Ives's rankings.

*Kevin Keegan is back in Newcastle!

That's all for now. I am off to Baltimore for various MLS and convention events. Hope to join you this afternoon.

By Steve Goff  |  January 17, 2008; 8:01 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Arguez Deal Nears Completion
Next: Update From Baltimore

Comments

Keep your damn hands off our striker!

Posted by: MattMathai | January 17, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Will a team take a chance on him!?!
I would be extatic if he dropped to us in the second round!

Posted by: jgildea | January 17, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

I came to make a bad Law & Order joke about a Guatemalan running for President, but left with my head down and my tail between my legs.

/I'm snowed in.

Posted by: sitruc | January 17, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Reyering can be a little brash at times and doesn't always seem to give 100%. As the venerable Goff pointed out though, he still has 39 goals and 10 assists. He knows how to score.

I certainly wouldn't mind him falling to United.

Posted by: CavFan | January 17, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe the Revs would be in the market for a goalkeeper.

Posted by: Mike | January 17, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

I absolutely love Reyering. He would be great in MLS and a real bonus to United. His skills extend beyond the obvious. He's a very smart young man who reads the game well. He's a good passer and much better with the ball at his feet than you might expect. He also took a number of free kicks at UVa.

With today's surgical and rehab techniques, his injury should not be a long term concern. If he were available at 24, I'd be jumping up and down.

OK. End of gushing.

asitis

Posted by: asitis | January 17, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Morning -

Are we back to kicking each other as we await Harbor View FC?

Posted by: UVA-United | January 17, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Though Emilio already has a contract, he certainly might have expected some increase in pay from DC United given his stellar performance last year.

Has there been any news/rumors of anything of that sort?

Posted by: Kire | January 17, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Franco Niell and Yannick Reyering strike partners...that would be worth the price of admission! :-)

Posted by: Tweaked | January 17, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Evidently I'm not snowed in. Morelia better not go after Luci.

Posted by: sitruc | January 17, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Goff, great article on Jeremiah White. I really enjoy reading about some of the players who have interesting stories to share. It'll be interesting to see how White does in the Camp and whether he'll get capped.

You've got to imagine that a kid who excelled at soccer in college and has fought his way through the less glamorous side of European football has got something decent to offer. Maybe he'll even be able to fill a void on the right side of our midfield.

Posted by: TCompton | January 17, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

"In 56 career appearances for the Cavaliers, he had 39 goals and 10 assists.

Will an MLS team take a chance on him?"

The preceding sentence should answer the question. And at 6' 6", who would not take the chance? Besides, Tommy can yell at him in German, "Schneller! Mehr Bewegung! Noch ein Bier bitte."

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | January 17, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Ted, the article says that the Rev's drafted White so I guess we'd owe those dbags something if we attempted to sign him.

Posted by: Chico | January 17, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Chico,

Those claims only last 2 or 3 years so I think the revs have no right to him anymore. However because he is being called into the national team he might have to go to the lottery process if anyone in mls wants to sign him.

Posted by: DRB | January 17, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Thanks DRB, staying current with MLS rules is waterboarding for the average fan.

Posted by: Chico | January 17, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Great article today! An interesting story - sounds like he has a good career with his father to fall back on. Why not have some fun in Europe and see if you can make a go of it?

Also, thanks for the link to Ives' pre-draft analysis. Looks like some interesting prospects. If I have it right, no great playmakers, but a few good forwards, defenders, and goalkeepers. And, possibly, a few good wingers. Without Gros, DCU could certainly use one!

Posted by: jj | January 17, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Nice article on Jeremiah White. Thanks Steve

Posted by: Kev | January 17, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Goff - it's been a long time since you've done a Q&A. what do you say?

Posted by: pat | January 17, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

My take on the White article is that he is not interested in MLS. He's making good money there and nothing that he has done in his career suggests that he wants to play here. There's nothing with that and it would be great to see him succeed in Europe.

He gives us another option for the USMNT when the Euro-based players are called in during the summer or for a friendly in Europe. Maybe he'll choose to end his career in MLS, but that's so far away that he'll probably play for Philly.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | January 17, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Penedo is class. I thought he was playing in Spain, why has mls allowed him to be demoted to the guatamalan league. DC should have grabbed him.

Posted by: ruscien | January 17, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Goff

Can we expect any major announcements from the league brass on Friday in Baltimore?

Posted by: UVA-United | January 17, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Hey, according to Yahoo sports article, Zidane is interested in possibly coming back and playing in MLS...Wow, this is news...like a year ago!

Posted by: JonInVB | January 17, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

A good article on Dorman's departure from MLS...he wanted to STAY in MLS, even at $30,000, even with St Mirren paying mountains more cash. Even so, he wanted to STAY and could not work it out.

What does that mean? The Revs or the league did not want to pay for a player of his quality.

They won't sell guys who want to leave, and won't pay guys who want to stay!

Am I the only one in thinking that some of MLS business practices - at least with player deals - seems somewhat amateurish?

Posted by: Erick | January 17, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Gotta chime in on the good Jeremiah White article. I didn't realize he was such a well-established collegiate star. I wonder if he felt kinda low-balled by MLS offers as good 4-year players (Needham, Abe pson) seem to get paltry offers if they don't get a Generation Adidas (or P-40 for White) offer.

Goff, no need to go to Baltimore for the draft as I'm sure it's been cancelled...

Snow flurries have been spotted in Arlington! Please remain calm. Evacuate the city. Proceed to your local grocery store and buy all the bread, milk and toilet paper you can carry. Check back some time in April or May.

Posted by: garbaggio | January 17, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

"There's nothing [wrong] with that and it would be great to see him succeed in Europe."

Me leave word out. Me not make sense. Me proof read in future.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | January 17, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I really enjoyed your piece on White. Let's hope he gets capped and can make an impact on the team. We need as many solid players as we can get, seems like he might be a good find; 25 year old with all sorts of european experience in some if the grittier leagues, and he has speed too!

Thanks, keep up the good work.

Posted by: J-Mart | January 17, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I can see it now . . . Burch with a mighty left footed cross from our middle third, 6-6 giant Reyering heads it home past a helpless keeper. . .

Posted by: delantero | January 17, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Snow Flakes!!!

Oh...

I think the transfer window for the Mexican league is now closed. Their league play begins tomorrow with Moreilia (boooo) at Veracruz. Let the beer and hair flow. Let the chicas in hot pants cheer, the Mexican League is here!

Posted by: Snow Flaked | January 17, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tweaked | January 17, 2008 09:21 AM
______________________

They could do an update of the old Manute Bol/Muggsy Bogues poster!!

Posted by: Greenbelt United | January 17, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Seems to me that if Emilio is worth several Million dollars to MLS and United, he's going to start asking for several million dollars. What is his salary right now? League max? It at least should be.

Posted by: TCompton | January 17, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Eggs, bread, milk, toilet paper...

Everyone over to my house for french toast in the bathroom!

Posted by: Hoost | January 17, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

And Namoff passes the ball up to Fred...Fred sends it to Gomez in the middle of the pitch...Gomez gets the ball up to a darting Olsen and Olsen crosses to Reyering waaayy up there...Tooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrr!!! Und der Torhüter von RBNY hatte keine Chance gegen den Riesen aus Deutschland! Tor, Yannick Reyering!!!

Posted by: BigWave | January 17, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

If the Revs turn down 2.5 skrilla for Twellman, then United better not open negotiations for Emilio for anything less than 4M.

Is the Mexican Peso better than the dollar yet?

Posted by: London Dan | January 17, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Fulham have signed Forward Marlon King from Watford.

Eddie Johnson transfer fallen through?

Posted by: mb | January 17, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: UVA-United | January 17, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Steve, any sense as to whether it was Jaime Penedo and/or his representatives who contacted the New England Revolution, or was it the other way around? The Revs don't exactly need a new keeper at present, so this news has us scratching our heads... not that we haven't stopped scratching our heads for some time now.

Posted by: Evan | January 17, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

mb -- Interesting news from Craven Cottage. Thanks for the 411. Maybe EJ's staying here...which I don't get. His speed would seem well-suited there.

Goff-- Allow me to chime in with praise on your Jeremiah White piece. A nice read. I feel smarter already.

Any clue what % United would get, if Hertha sells Arguez down the road? Maybe that would make me feel better about the deal...

Did anyone watch the AC Milan-Napoli game? Ronaldo, Seedorf, Kaka and the wunderkind, Pato put on some show...Even Man U can't put together that kind of offense....

Snow?!?!?
Snow?!?!?

Posted by: Fisch Fry | January 17, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

*Open* at $4M?

How about *open* around $8M and maybe end up in the upper $4-5M range?

Posted by: Ron | January 17, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Reis is starting to get old. Maybe they are getting ready for next year when he may retire???

Posted by: gilbert | January 17, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

It's hard to believe FSC didn't have a doubleheader last season. I guess it was the sometimes painful post-game that made it feel like 5 hours.

Posted by: sitruc | January 17, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Any word on when the full season schedule will come out? I've got another couple of weeks before I have to have my vacation requests in.

Posted by: Franklin Planner | January 17, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Just saw the Sky Sports report on the return of Keegan. Reporters were interviewing players through their car windows as they arrived for training. It was unsettling to notice that Jaime Troisi has a crisp American $100 bill hanging from his rear view mirror. That's what's become of our currency folks, the equivalent of fuzzy dice and pine tree air freshners.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | January 17, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

You're welcome Goff for the new name for this segment. :D

Posted by: Jacknut | January 17, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

What are the odds that my mention of the $100 bill came right after the post from "Franklin Planner" on Ben Franklin's birthday.

Something terrible will happen today. Wait! It's already happening! The clouds are disintegrating apart and white fluffy fragments are falling from the sky!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | January 17, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

No, it's Namoff passes to Fred; and then Fred passes it back (and backward) to Namoff. Once again Fred geht mit dem Backpassenchickenouten und NO utilizet sein Brazilienfussballbonitoskillen mit der Ball advanzentoderbleedingGoalhabenmachen.

Posted by: gringo | January 17, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

The American Economy faked it's growth from 2001-now.

If you want to listen to one of the greatest rants of all time - go to CNBC.com and listen to Cramer spout on financials for 13 minutes.

Now the real question - did DC get paid from Norway and Germany in Euros?

Posted by: UVA-United | January 17, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

GOFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What is going on with EJ. He shouldn't leave England til he has a new team. Could Fulham be buying both King and EJ. That would defintely be an upgrade over Healy and Kamara IMO. We need som info on this, help us out.

Posted by: Johnny | January 17, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Gringo: You crack me up so much dass Ich in meiner Hose getinkelt habe.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | January 17, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

TCompton:

We have a void at right midfield? Last time I checked, our right midfielder was on the MLS Best XI for 2007 and was the heart and soul of the team.

And now, a bit of a buzzkill with regards to Reyering:

I don't know about you guys, but I think our first pick should be used on a replacement for Gros (or a center back, for that matter), rather than another striker. Reyering is not all upside. He was slow before the surgery, and it's very hard to predict how someone of his size will react to major joint surgery. Taking him with the 24th pick would be foolish, as he'll probably be around longer than that (recent major injury, possible Euro interest, would take up a foreign spot...that's pretty much every way you can make sure to fall in the draft). Don't get all hot and bothered just because there is a 6'6" forward.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | January 17, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

""Backpassenchickenouten""

Ah, that;s making me laugh that is hard to typ

Posted by: delantero | January 17, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Nameof the new women's soccer league:

Womens Professional Soccer (WPS)
www.womensprosoccer.com

Posted by: jade1mls | January 17, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jade1mls | January 17, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

So the new women's pro league changed its logo from the old WUSA one to one which features Mia Hamm.

How long till the MLS logo is rebranded with David Beckham? :p

Posted by: Anonymous | January 17, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

A) Chest, stop showering us with reality, it's snowing! We chip balls in constantly to players under 6 foot who have less vertical leap than a toy-Tigger at Toys R Us.

In my dreams, I see a physically dominant striker like Drogba.

B) I'm somewhat concerned regarding the lack of announcements on these Latino signings . . . . . .is this a pre-draft ploy so that fellow MLS GM's won't get an idea of where and whom we're looking to draft?

Posted by: delantero | January 17, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Goff wont be responding for a while. hes traveling right now so chill

Posted by: ben | January 17, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I like how the front page has 4 blondes.

7 teams? Surprised they have an odd amount.

Posted by: RK | January 17, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Thanks jade1mls.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | January 17, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Bad name.

"WPS, I did it again."

Very bad name. I hope they take a mulligan.

Posted by: WNT fan | January 17, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

"Bad name."

I wouldn't say that. WhiPS has a certain marketability to it.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | January 17, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Too bad the women's league isn't named:
Professional Ms's in Soccer (PMS).

Posted by: D'oh | January 17, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Well, I hope you're right I-270. I'm sure the target group is a lot younger than I am, but to me it recalls what at the time was the single largest municipal bond default in history, Washington Public Power Supply. Or the Britney Spears song. Either way it's not good.

But I'm sure they paid top dollar to some marketing whizzes who have tested it, so hopefully it will have legs, and be "Whips" not "Whoops". Either way it won't be W-P-S, too many syllables.

Posted by: WNT fan | January 17, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Goff- Can you do a check-in article with Freddy Adu? You did a nice piece about him just before he left for Portugal, and it would be an interesting follow-up to see how he's settling in with the team, and how he's doing off the field, too.

Your White piece reminded me of him.
David

Posted by: David | January 17, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

David: Jason La Canfora profiled Adu several weeks ago. In a few months it may be time for an update.

Posted by: 22201 | January 17, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I like the looks of a 5-7 midfielder from Uruguay in the draft named Jonathan Sabbini. At only 19 this guy has a great touch and the ability to get around guys. If Gomez is not coming back, then I might take a flier on this guy. United does not have to get a 30 year old foreign midfielder if they can get one in the draft. He may be the only true #10 in the draft so picking him might be a bargain.

If we are looking at wide midfielders, then I like the look of David Roth, a 5-8 wide midfielder, who played at Northwestern. Great passer and crosser. Not real quick but knows how to get around people, make big plays, and score goals. On MLSnet, he was United's projected 24th pick

Who do you guys like?

Posted by: United's fury | January 17, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Ives drove all the way from NJ in the snow, stopped along the way to make a post to his blog, meets up with YOU, Goff, in the lobby of the hotel, posts that he met you in the lobby, and we are still waiting for some dish from our local soccer guru. Goff, he's showing you up!

Posted by: 95-South | January 17, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse