Why I'm Grateful for My Blog.....

.....and The Post's Web site

From last night's Simpsons episode:

By Steve Goff  |  January 7, 2008; 4:52 PM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Working in a Combine
Next: Ohio State Revolution

Comments

excellent...

Hey Goff, any idea when this year's MLS Season schedule will be coming out?

Happy New Year

Posted by: therealfan | January 7, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm a huge fan of newspaper content being available online, particularly in RSS feeds. I love that the blog is available that way, so I can see when you put something new up. I just wish that so many news outlets would let us have prose content instead of turning everything into video. It's almost never accessible to the region's large sub-communities of blind and deaf. Just something to think about.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | January 7, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Full MLS schedules are expected to be released first full week of February.

Posted by: Goff | January 7, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Has the simpsons lost all forms of subtlety?

Posted by: DCAustinite | January 7, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Pretty good line, even funnier when you realize the quality of writing on The Simpsons has gone steadily downhill since 1999.

Posted by: d, dc | January 7, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of sports journalists and print: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/24/business/media/24sportswriters.html

This Simpson's episode was one of the more biting satirical ones in recent memory. Or maybe because the timing, as I'm suffering from campaign season news overload.

Posted by: Larry | January 7, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Sorry to switch to all things USMNT - Any chance that the Nats would be interested in a summer Home and Home vs the Three Lions? Say a game at Wembley and a game at FedEx?

Or at least a game @ Wembley?

Posted by: UVA-United | January 7, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

The Simpsons are (is?) still really funny. And true. The medium he's talking about isn't "newspapers", it's "actual news."
There are only a few places left where one can get information that's relatively unbiased.

At least this site is upfront and doesn't spend its time complaining that its competitors are poor journalists.....

Posted by: Hacksaw | January 7, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

> Has the simpsons lost all forms of subtlety?

No, just Nelson.

Posted by: r | January 7, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Good line. Happy New Year! Glad to have all the updates today.

Posted by: m | January 7, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

We still love you, Mr. Goff. If you ever wrote one of those article things for one of those newspapers, I'd read it.

Oh.

Sorry. My bad.

The ink can rub off and I'm pretty sure I got a paper cut once.

Posted by: sitruc | January 7, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

That was just perfect...of course, people still found a reason to be negative...

Posted by: RK | January 7, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

The funny thing is, Goff...I actually thought of you and your blog when I saw that.

Posted by: Funny. | January 7, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: td | January 7, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff...Hate to be the one to ask the question...but have your sources turned up anything on Jonetta Rose Barras' claim that the plans for Popular Point will be released this week and that it includes the soccer stadium? I know you would tell us if you knew, but I just had to check. Thanks!

Posted by: Niv | January 7, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't know, kicking back on the couch Sunday morning with a cup of joe and a laptop doesn't have the same appeal to me. Guess I'm just an old fart.

Posted by: Chico | January 7, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Goff...Man do we (WashingtonPost.Newsweek Interactive) have big plans for you and the Insider! Viva la revolution Internet!

Posted by: Rob Curley | January 7, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Chico
the footy on a laptop is all I have known!!!
its good times!!!!
and I am not stuck spending money on cable..

Posted by: myt! | January 7, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

I know I no longer count as a subscriber to the Post (as I was for 10+ years) but I read it more than ever; I just do it on-line. I wonder how that effects the business of newspapers like the Post?

Posted by: BarkerDavidL | January 7, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Larry | January 7, 2008 06:04 PM

Other than making me think I'm in the wrong profession, the most interesting thing in that article was this:

ESPN consistently draws one of the largest audiences in cable, and it charges cable system operators more than $3 a subscriber for the right to carry its programming, by far the highest such fee in the industry.

ESPN regularly charges about $2.90 and the Disney Channel charges about $.80. The NFL Network was publicly asking for $.70. Meanwhile, ESPN led the charge in blasting the NFL and belittling their plans. Sorry, I haven't had any ESPN semi-rants this week.

Posted by: sitruc | January 8, 2008 1:47 AM | Report abuse

Hey Barker, I'm in the same situation as you, but I don't think it has affected the business at all. In a dead-tree edition we can ignore the ads, but here in the e-world, they force feed them to us.

Posted by: Troy | January 8, 2008 4:24 AM | Report abuse

Nelson is great!

Posted by: Felix | January 8, 2008 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BarkerDavidL | January 7, 2008 11:36 PM
---------------------------------------------

What it means is that they are scrambling to come up with new revenue streams and an overall business model. It's not so much the subscription money that's important, it's the ability to sell ads based on subscribers. They should be able to more or less replicate that online. Nonetheless, they are very concerned with declining subscriber figures (at least that's according to a friend who works at the Post on just this stuff).

The publisher of the NYT gave an interview last year in which he said that he was more or less assuming that within 10 years the NYT would stop publishing a print edition.

Posted by: edgeonyou | January 8, 2008 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Eddie Johnson?!?

Goff,

The news last week was that Derby was pursuing Eddie Johnson in a supposed possible MLS-record bid.

Today, press confirms Derby has locked up Robbie Savage from Blackburn, Laurent Robert (formerly of Newcastle) and Hossam Ghaly from Tottenham.

Does that mean their pursuit of Eddie Johnson is toast? Say what you will about Savage, Robert and Ghaly, but I don't see how Eddie competes with them. For better or worse, they are proven, known commodities within the Premiership, whereas Eddie would be an unknown and therefore a greater risk.

Any ideas as to Eddie's status?

Thanks.

Posted by: Erick | January 8, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

A ton of WNT news today, Mister Goff. A separate post, maybe?

Among other things --- for the artist f/k/a GoPennState -- Pia named the PSU coach to her staff, on a part-time basis, I'm guessing so that she can do both jobs. She's keeping the keeper coach.

Posted by: WNT fan | January 8, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chico | January 7, 2008 08:15 PM
---------------

And try using your laptop as a dropcloth when your kids are finger painting. Man! I'm still trying to remove the paint from my keyboard.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | January 8, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Ha, ha!

Posted by: jj | January 8, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

relieved, from a very great distress, those rivals whom it meant to LdKdggKrCB the greater part of those dealers from the necessity of keeping any

Posted by: James | January 18, 2008 5:38 AM | Report abuse

The whole expense of maintaining the fixed capital must evidently be LdKdggKrCB with them. In this consisted a great part of the policy of Mr

Posted by: Betty | January 18, 2008 5:49 AM | Report abuse

aewdsa saf wefrasf adsf sdaf

Posted by: Jessica | January 28, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse