Barnsley Mania

Watch the reaction of the Sky Sports studio commentators as they monitor Barnsley's dramatic FA Cup game-winner against Liverpool at Anfield on Saturday. Someday, my man Rob Stone will react this way during a U.S. Open Cup matchday. ;-)

By Steve Goff  |  February 17, 2008; 1:17 PM ET
Categories:  World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend Kickaround
Next: Celebrating Presidents' Day.....

Comments

"Izze havin' a laugh?"

Posted by: dug2008 | February 17, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Steve, many thanks for the blog--it definitely made me "feel at home" while stationed in Kuwait for a year. BTW, Yanks Abroad just published its most recent "23 Tickets" segment which contains some interesting selections. I bet our contributors have some different ideas...

Posted by: Army Chaplain for DCU | February 17, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

just watched an episode of animal cops detroit.. "BARNSLEY" was written in the snow on a car.. coincidence?

Posted by: smith | February 17, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Saying a player's going to be on an A-squad 2.5 years from when he hasn't been capped by a nation--or even signed a senior-level contract--appears to be many different types of folly at once.

Posted by: B.A. | February 17, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

That was an absolutely incredible game. The GK-on-loan-from-Preston (I think) did really well, too.

Posted by: Juan-John | February 17, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Saw that last night and enjoyed it. Thanks for putting the video on Steve.

Posted by: Snow Lion | February 17, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

My friend Dany lives in Barnsley and was at the match, the second time he had been to Anfield, the last time Barnsley was 19th in the premier league and they won 1-0. My housemate asked me why I was yelling at my computer in the last minutes of the match.

Posted by: dtd | February 17, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

It's always great when the underdog pulls out an upset.

Posted by: peridigm | February 17, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Rob Stone would have wet himself, regardless if he was in the studio or calling the match live. Try imagining Ray Hudson calling it. They would have needed to perform CPR! Then there's Dave Johnson's call. "It's in the net, it's in the net, Goal Barnsley" in something resembling Luciano Pavrotti doing a spoken word reading of King Lear while suffering from laryngitis.

Posted by: Throwin | February 17, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

fantastic game, love seeing Liverpool choke.

Posted by: owendylan | February 17, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Fantastic ending to that game. Should have been a penalty and then to continue on like that to get the goal! Amazing!

Posted by: Gooner | February 17, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

A little slow on news, eh Steve?

Posted by: Randolph Merriman the Third | February 17, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Hi all, Thanks Steve for using the video I put on You Tube on Saturday on this page.

The more people that see his wonderful piece of FA CUp magic the better for sport.

I have an other video posted on my You Tube page of the match. Please feel free to come a visit the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o5RBc4W8A0

All the best & well done Barnsley!

Posted by: sano1153 | February 18, 2008 3:05 AM | Report abuse

I normally have about 0 interest in English Football due in large part to the dearth of technical ability on display, but it's pretty hard not to enjoy seeing a team that is fighting to stay in the second division knock out one of the big clubs, the only way that would have been better is if it happened to ManU and their throng of plastic fans.

Posted by: papa bear | February 18, 2008 3:59 AM | Report abuse

Barnsley were great. No time wasting, no running to the corner flag. Just win!

Posted by: JDO | February 18, 2008 6:49 AM | Report abuse

Barnsley have been rewarded for their shock fifth-round victory over Liverpool with a home tie against Chelsea in the FA Cup quarter-finals - so sayeth the London Times

Posted by: Alien | February 18, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

That was awesome!

Posted by: Joe Doc | February 18, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!

Posted by: Russ Hodges | February 18, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Do you believe in miracles? YES!!

Posted by: Al Michaels | February 18, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Fantastic ending to a great game. I was very happy to see Barnsley come through, and get exactly what it deserved. That was a horrible non call by the official. I hope that official gets fined big time, and suspended, because you cannot NOT make that call. Im just glad Barnsley were able to rub it right in his face a few seconds later, and knock off one of the BIG clubs. I don't typically support the big clubs of any leagues ( I will digress here, I am a D.C. United supporter and they are a pretty big fish in MLS, but hey, I cant help it they came about in 1996 and I decided to support the home team!)

Posted by: KJ | February 18, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

The best part is that you can see people in the background of the set going bonkers when the goal goes in

Posted by: AC | February 18, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse