Before the USA-Mexico Match.....

.....let's take a look at other newsworthy items.

*Australia wins its first-ever Asian World Cup qualifier.

*China and Iraq tie.

*Among the friendlies today: Turkey-Sweden, Croatia-Netherlands, Poland-Czech Republic, Austria-Germany, Ireland-Brazil, Italy-Portugal, England-Switzerland, Spain-France.

*England remembers the 1958 Manchester United tragedy.

*Jeremiah White, who just returned to Denmark after spending three weeks with the U.S. national team, took an inadvertant hit to the face during a friendly and suffered several fractures. He had surgery today and will be out at least six weeks. The Danish season does not restart until March so he shouldn't miss too many league games.

*I hear Guatemalan defender Gustavo Cabrera , 28, is scheduled to join FC Dallas for a trial following tonight's friendly against Argentina in Los Angeles. He made four appearances for Real Salt Lake in 2005 and has spent most of his career with Comunicaciones. Tonight he'll earn his 73rd cap.

*Finally, don't forget to order your official MLS bedding. Yes, bedding.

I'll be back later with a USA-Mexico thread.

By Steve Goff  |  February 6, 2008; 10:22 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Players Speak
Next: Predictions, Anyone?

Comments

Posted by: Juan-John | February 6, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Wow, that is a tough break for White.
I hope everything works out for him and he is back in the Nat picture soon.

Posted by: jgildea | February 6, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but when (and why?) was Australia moved to Asia for world cup qualifying. What's happened to the Oceania group?

Posted by: Arlingon, VA S | February 6, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Goff, So how did White get hurt? I wanted to see more of him. Looks like he will be out of the Nat picture for awhile.

Posted by: toddinho | February 6, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

I had some of the original bedding the last time they offered it. I bought it at the JC Penney Outlet at Potomac Mills.
Has to be from the 98/99 season because it has the Miami Fusion and the re-done DC logo.

Okay, I can't lie...I still have the entire set...just not on the bed : ) It's been put away in storage...I promise!

Posted by: JonInVB | February 6, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of international matches, I was able to watch all the African Cup of Nations quarterfinals online, and talk about entertaining! Way way more fun to watch than the last World Cup. Lots and lots of attacking play, nice skill, and no notable refereeing mistakes. I would highly recommend trying to watch the semis on Thurday (Ghana v. Cameroon and Egypt v. Ivory Coast).

Posted by: edgeonyou | February 6, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

It's about time on the bedding. When you go to a club shop in Europe (or even an NFL or MLS store) they have everything. You can buy Newcastle furniture for your kid's room. This level of merchandising will help make the difference in indoctrinating our youth.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 6, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I didn't see much about this game in the paper today. I would've have thought it'd at least get more coverage than, say, kayaking and water polo. All we got is just a line saying that it was on tonight...

Posted by: Spence | February 6, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Jeez Goff, I was beginning to think you overslept!

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | February 6, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I say we chip in and all buy Mastodon some nice Red Bull sheets and, if they sold them, some underoos too!

Posted by: a troll christmas celebration | February 6, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: a troll christmas celebration | February 6, 2008 11:19 AM

Blasphemy! How dare you even bring up the idea of buying something of a rival team!? I dont care if its FOR someone else...Would you buy a Red Bull jersey for a friend that is a fan of them? NO!

Posted by: JonInVB | February 6, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

-----

Huh????

Posted by: Goff | February 6, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

""You can buy Newcastle furniture for your kid's room. ""

In NOVA there's a store with a Man United dog bowl for the princely sum of $25.00

Posted by: have crap will sell | February 6, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I updated the White item with more detail.

Posted by: Goff | February 6, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: | February 6, 2008 11:02 AM
----------------------------------------

I still remember the scene from the film Fever Pitch in which the protagonist wears Arsenal underwear (festooned with little cannons).

Posted by: 22201 | February 6, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

I have a feeling stadium rumblings are in the pipeline.

Do you have any idea on what the chances of a USA vs England game in the states this summer is?

Posted by: UVA-United | February 6, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Arlingon, VA S | February 6, 2008 10:54 AM
------------------------------------------

The Aussies made the move a couple of years ago, in search of more challenging competition. Oceania is still around, but weaker than ever. Hey, if the ACC can poach teams from rival conferences, so can the Asian Football Confederation.

Posted by: 22201 | February 6, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Single men only: Raise your hand if you know what a duvet is.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 6, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Do the new MLS sheets come in plastic?
Sometimes I go potty when I'm sleeping...

Posted by: Landon D. | February 6, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Landon,

Everyone knows us bedwetters dont use plastic sheets..its rubber sheets! Geez!

Just ask the Goffer : )

Posted by: JonInVB | February 6, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Now I can get my MLS sheets and store them with my NASL sheets and pillow cases! Some of those logos are atrocious my the NASL!

Posted by: boda united | February 6, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

The other day the FCD FO listed the names of the invitees on their team Blog, which includes Cabrera and others:

Last night they added another guest player, Ali Manuel Manouchehri Moghadam Kashan Lobo...what a name!

Posted by: FC Toja | February 6, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately I do know what a duvet is, and I am single heterosexual male.

Posted by: DC United Fan | February 6, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

DC United Fan Above...

You got some 'splaining to do!

Posted by: JonInVB | February 6, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Kenny Cooper wall hanging mural!?!?! I can understand Becks and Donovan and even Ching. But Kenny Cooper??!?!

Posted by: Glenn | February 6, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Good for the Aussies. Now if only FIFA would fold the rest of Oceania into Asia. NZ and the Pacific Islands don't deserve their own confederation - it's a joke.

Posted by: SSMD | February 6, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

The same could be said for CONCACAF.

I think the conferences should be Europe, Africa, Asia, and the Americas (to include the Caribbean Islands). But that's just me.

Posted by: TCompton | February 6, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

even if you know what a duvet is you should never tell anyone...

Posted by: PKTaker | February 6, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Anybody care to make a prediction as to what the better game will be tonight?

UNCvsDOOK or USAvsMEX

Posted by: Brian | February 6, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

UNC vs Dook will be an intense rivalry game for bragging rights of nerdy college kids in North Carolina. Insults will be hurled by Dookies at "Crying after one Loss" UNC Fans and UNC fans will say something about Greg Paulus.

USA vs Mexico has every chance of being great and our politicos-to-be should attend and see not only a great football game but perhaps a true opinion on immigration issues in the United States.

Posted by: UVA-United | February 6, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Oceania do not get an automatic berth in the WC now that Australia has moved on. Their winner has to play a team from one of the other Confeds, I think it may be the 5th place CONMEBOL team or perhaps even an Asian or CONCACAF team.

Posted by: Glenn | February 6, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

The same could be said for CONCACAF.

Posted by: TCompton | February 6, 2008 01:00 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Can you imagine how long that qualification process would be? The finals would have to move to every 6 years.

Posted by: gilbert | February 6, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Anybody care to make a prediction as to what the better game will be tonight?
UNCvsDOOK or USAvsMEX
----
USA 2-Mex 5

Posted by: real | February 6, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

That link for bedding has a giant picture of Beckham. Who on earth would want Beckham in their bedroom?!

Oh right, there are the NY fans.

Posted by: Pretty in Pink? | February 6, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

we got that catalog, with Becks on the cover at home yesterday. I am lobbying the wife to order the whole set for our guest room. Our boys may get sheets, but the other stuff is too pricey.

Posted by: SeanT | February 6, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I am happily married with three incredible kids... and I have no idea what a duvet is.

Tempting to type it into Google to see what happens, but I'm afraid some red light and alarm will go off in the IT dungeon and I'll be hauled away to Gitmo.

Since I am one of the few right wingers who regularly posts on this blog (I think), perhaps I shouldn't know...

A hint, please, oh oracle from the beltway to I-70 connector?

Posted by: Joe Doc | February 6, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Incase anyone's still reading this...oceania never had an automatic birth in the WC, that's why they moved to asia. The better competition was just a plus.

Posted by: Skyler | February 6, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

At least the bedding has cargo patches. Gives you someplace to hide your gun.

Posted by: Wellington,CO | February 6, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Duvet is a common word used in England by men of all types.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 6, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang,

That's wild that UNC is playing Duke on the same evening as USA-Mexico. I was watching the last USA-Mexico friendly last February (Arizona) at a Bethesda bar, and UNC-Duke were playing that night as well.

2-0!!!!

Posted by: BillinMd | February 6, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TCompton | February 6, 2008 01:00 PM

one other note, CONCACAF represents nearly half a billion people and a massive land area. Oceania represents about 15 million and a land area about the size of Texas. Apples and oranges really.
If you wanna talk about the level of competition you have a bit more of a point but still, there are plenty of teams in CONCACAF who make noise in the WC. I can't think of the last team not named Australia who did anything in the WC.

I'm kinda pissed at Germany right now. They looked horrible in the first half. 3-0 to Austria is totally unacceptable. It should have been a much more definitive victory. (no, I don't care that Germany was missing 5 starters either. Higher standards, my friends. Higher standards)

Posted by: papa bear | February 6, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm bummed the sheets don't come in King size.

Posted by: owendylan | February 6, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse