CONCACAF News and Thoughts for Alan Kelly

*The groups are set for the six-team CONCACAF women's Olympic qualifying tournament April 2-13 in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. Two nations will advance to China this summer. The Americans will play Mexico and Jamaica in group play and, assuming they advance, face Canada, Costa Rica or T&T in the semifinals, which will determine an Olympic berth.

*The TV schedule (Fox Soccer Channel) has been finalized for the CONCACAF Champions' Cup, which includes D.C. United and Houston.

*Our thoughts are with former D.C. United goalkeepers coach Alan Kelly, who is recovering from colon cancer at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda. Kelly, 71, has been involved in Washington area youth soccer for many years. Across the Atlantic, he remains a legend: 47 caps for Ireland, 513 appearances in 14 years for Preston North End, a managing stint with Preston and one game in charge of Ireland. A section of Deepdale, PNE's home, is named for him. His son, Alan Jr., was also a keeper, for Preston, Sheffield United, Blackburn and Ireland (34 caps).

By Steve Goff  |  February 25, 2008; 12:54 PM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Santino on Trial
Next: MLS-USSF Updates

Comments

Stay strong, Allen. Your D.C. United family is thinking of you.

Posted by: Smitty | February 25, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Can someone post the tv schedule listings?

(stupid firewall at work)

Posted by: Chico | February 25, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Best to Alan Kelly! My son took his keeper clinic and he is a true character. My thoughts are with him and his family...

Posted by: JkR | February 25, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

what a difference a year makes, DC would have the 2nd leg at home as long as they're in the competition.

Chico, here it is:
1st legs
Tues 3/11 Pachuca at Motagua of Honduras 11pm tape delay on FSC/8pm live on Fox in Espanol
Wed 3/12 DC at Harbor View 8pm live on FSC
Houston at Municipal of Guatemala at 10pm live on FSC
Thu 3/13 Saprissa at Atlante 11pm live on FSC
2nd legs
Tue 3/18 Harbor View at DC 7:30pm live on FSC
Wed 3/19 Municipal at Houston 8:30pm live on FSC
Motagua at Pachuca 11pm live on FSC
Thu 3/20 Atlante at Saprissa midnight delayed on FSC, 10pm live on Fox in Espanol

Possible DC later rounds
Semifinal, 1st leg either at Pachuca or Motagua on Tues 4/1, 2nd leg here Tue 4/8.
Final, 1st leg would be at either Houston, Municipal, Atlante or Saprissa on Wed 4/23 and 2nd leg would be here Wed 4/30

Posted by: th | February 25, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

A toast to you, Alan Kelly, for a full and speedy recovery.

Posted by: Joe Doc | February 25, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

th, you are da man! Take 50 out of petty cash ;>)

Posted by: Chico | February 25, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Greg Ryan will be on the Canadian sidelines if they play through to a final vs US. I hope so.

Posted by: WNT fan | February 25, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Kelly, hope you recover well. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Posted by: The Jim | February 25, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes to Alan and his family. Here's hoping for a great result from the surgery and get will soon big man.

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | February 25, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes to Alan Kelly. He also (co-?) owned Corner Kick, which was - once - the only indoor venue in Montgomery County. It doesn't exist anymore, but we'll fondly remember it as very "old school," a thin green carpet upon a slab of concrete. No mercy. It's a man's game, even in the co-rec league.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 25, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Best to Alan Kelley - he is a class guy and was a no-nonsense, excellent goalkeeper coach.

Posted by: Lonnie | February 25, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I feel like an idiot. I just now noticed that our nemesis, CD Chivas Guadalajara, is not in the CCC!

Posted by: gilbert | February 25, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Blood and bloody ashes, Gilbert! Get it together, man!

Posted by: Joe Doc | February 25, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Ciudad Juárez? Jeez... interesting choice for a women's tourney venue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_homicides_in_Ciudad_Juárez

Posted by: Stay Off the Streets! | February 25, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. I was wondering about Juarez too. It's not as if thousands of fans from El Paso will cross the border to support the USWNT.

Maybe the Mexican federation is hoping that thousands of fans from El Paso will cross the border to support the Mexican WNT.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 25, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

""2nd leg here Tue 4/8.""

How certain is the date of this second leg of CCC if we beat Harbor View?

Posted by: delantero | February 25, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

""2nd leg here Tue 4/8.""

How certain is the date of this second leg of CCC if we beat Harbor View?
------------
That's what the linked schedule from CONCACAF said. I'd hope they've talked to the possible hosts for that date before putting out the schedule. But this is CONCACAF, so I'm sure Jack Warner and his pals can be bribed into changing it. :)

Posted by: th | February 25, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Best to Alan Kelly - I trained with him when I was younger and he is a great guy.

Posted by: RB | February 25, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stay Off the Streets! | February 25, 2008 02:59 PM
==========================================

If it were a men's tournament, would you be saying the same thing? After all, for every woman who has been murdered in Juarez in recent years, four men have been murdered:

Posted by: tri-village | February 25, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WNT fan | February 25, 2008 02:15 PM
==========================================

When I first read this I thought that maybe Michigan had seceded and become the newest province. But then I found a source that explains what you were referring to:

Posted by: tri-village | February 25, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes to Alan Kelly, get well soon.

Posted by: Red Devil | February 25, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I wish a very swift a painless recovery for Alan Kelly. He's one of the nicest (and funniest) guys I've ever met and I've had the privelege to have been coached by him. Take care

Posted by: Aaron | February 25, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes to Alan Kelly for a complete and speedy recovery. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. Both of my sons attended his goalkeeping camps and enjoyed them thoroughly.

Posted by: Winoman | February 25, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stay Off the Streets! | February 25, 2008 02:59 PM
==========================================

Posted by: tri-village | February 25, 2008 05:24 PM
====================================

The difference is that the men who have been murdered are generally involved in the drug trade and/or other illegal stuff like human trafficking. The women who have been getting murdered or simply disappeared by and large have simply been factory workers plucked off the streets. That's what makes it rather scary.

Posted by: Stay Off the Streets! | February 25, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------

And I thought my wish had come true!

Posted by: W. Woodrow Hayes | February 25, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stay Off the Streets! | February 25, 2008 09:19 PM
==========================================

This sounds suspiciously close to blaming the victims. In any event, the last thing anything should ever want is for law enforcement officials to make judgments that some crimes should taken more or less seriously than others, based on their opinion of the inherent worth of the victims. There was a time in this country when white-on-black crime was not taken seriously; ditto for gay-bashing. Who would want to return to those days?

Posted by: tri-village | February 26, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Count me in as another that is curious about the selection of crime-infested Juarez for a women's tournament...the things that have happened to women there are awful, as is the lack of a police force or arrests.

tri-village, you sound as if you have no clue about what has happened there over the years.

Posted by: RK | February 26, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

I have read exactly the same reports as everyone else. I am less interested in the crimes themselves than in the rather revealing reaction to them. I expect the police to do their job with regard to all crimes, period.

Posted by: tri-village | February 27, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

"I expect the police to do their job with regard to all crimes, period."

Wouldn't that be nice?

Posted by: RK | February 27, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Alan Kelly is a legend among GKs who grew up in the area. Tough as nails trainer, but every minute with him was a blast. Trying not to be distracted by his jokes was as challenging as his drills. Probably the most fun I have ever had with a coach. Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery.

Posted by: MtP | February 28, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse