Crew Move

Columbus has finally acquired a foreign forward, though not from overseas. It's Nicolas Hernandez, an Argentine who comes to the Crew from Colorado in exchange for defender Tim Ward and a third-round draft pick. Hernandez, 28, had seven goals in 2006 but just one in 21 appearances last year. Ward, who turns 21 tomorrow, appeared in only six league matches in 2007.

By Steve Goff  |  February 27, 2008; 11:23 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Slow Ride.....
Next: Meantime, in Dallas, er, Frisco

Comments

That's a good move for the Crew. I think Nico's got some pretty good skill.

It will certainly make life for C. Gomez a little more difficult. Perhaps, Colorado is freeing up some salary cap room to bring in someone new.

Posted by: TCompton | February 27, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Boy...it is a slow day isn't it.
Are DC back at practice today or tomorrow? any updates about Niell's knee and Tino's 'shape' would be much appreciated.

Posted by: jgildea | February 27, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sigi Schmid | February 27, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I'm a long-time Clavijo basher, but wow what a nice move for Colorado. Ward will slot in at right back, freeing Ihemelu to move back to central defense. And with the preseason that Cummings is having and a possible big foreign forward signing coming, Hernandez was expendable.

Posted by: Scott Dunham | February 27, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Decent move for Columbus, though they need more help on offense than Hernandez. They still look like a Barros Schelotto one-man show.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | February 27, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Off Topic -

Goff,

We know the Barca vs Red Bull match is off. Is there any word on the summer tours for any of the major European clubs?

Liverpool was said to be looking at coming here this summer.

Thanks!

Posted by: Erick | February 27, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Quote "I am very happy with this move, because now I can have some Argentinian cuisine which will add to my already massive gut. YUM!"

Posted by: Sigi Schmid | February 27, 2008 11:47 AM

Boy, I hope Sigi doesn't eat him.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 27, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

That really is an outrageous protuberance displayed by Sigi. It looks like he swallowed a half-dozen soccer balls -- or even Richie Williams.

Someone from Subway should give him a call. He could be the next Jared.

Posted by: Joe Doc | February 27, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Boy, I hope Sigi doesn't eat him.

Posted by: | February 27, 2008 11:54 AM

I always wondered what happened to Eddie Gaven!

Posted by: Ba-da-bump | February 27, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

any updates about Niell's knee and Tino's 'shape' would be much appreciated.

Posted by: jgildea | February 27, 2008 11:46 AM
------------
Update on Tino's shape: ROUND.

ZING!!

Hey you tee one up like that, someone will take a swing.

Posted by: Kosh | February 27, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Niko is good. If possible, I would have liked him to come to United for cheap to back-up our guys.

Posted by: BK | February 27, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I put it in quotes b/c I knew it was there, duh. :-)

Posted by: jgildea | February 27, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Don't remeber where I read it, but someone who was at the Cali practices said 'Tino was actually in good shape.....here's hoping he follows Moreno's "comeback" from Metrobull land. Imagine being able to have Moreno, Gallardo, and 'Tino playing productively thanx to the Pinkcows!

Posted by: boda united | February 27, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Goff --

Still waiting to hear about Super Liga details for 2008. Will DC be hosting matches again or will they be in Mexico? Is it true that they are in a group with Chivas-Gudalajara and Pachuca (and Houston)?

Posted by: Phil | February 27, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

The Rapids are doing this to clear cap room. Ward is Gen Ad. Nico 130K of cap space. Look for the Rapids to sign Brazilian forward Reinaldo.

Posted by: Bonji | February 27, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

-----------

When I know, I will share it. I don't withhold information.

DCU will definitely host group-play games at RFK.

Official announcement expected in the next 10 days.

Posted by: Goff | February 27, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Don't know if this has been discussed already, but there is a rumor circulating that the Philly team name is going to be Philadelphia Independence FC... not too shabby. Might be the best name after D.C. United.

Posted by: Soy United! | February 27, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Ward has a lot of potential, but Clavijo isn't the guy to help him reach it.

Tim Ward would be a very good fit for DC. Decent speed, good skills, two footed. He needs more experience reading the game, and good, smart coaching on defensive tactics. He would complement Burch very well, making up the left side of a defense. And his salary is low. I think Nico Hernandez is a decent forward, but if it weren't for the fact that Clavijo will waste Ward's talent, this would be a good deal for Colorado, even without the draft pick.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | February 27, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

As a Rapids fan I just have to say...

Yippeeee!

He'll work hard for the Crew, and if they raise the crossbar by about 10 feet he'll score lots of goals.

Posted by: deron | February 27, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Ward barely saw the field for Columbus, why do people in Colorado already have him penciled in as a starter?

[edited by Goff because of inappropriate language.]

Posted by: GLD123 | February 27, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

"Philadelphia Independence FC"

That would be really good

Posted by: BK | February 27, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the Rapids, how is Christian Gómez settling in?

Posted by: TCompton | February 27, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

[edited by Goff because of inappropriate language.]

Posted by: GLD123 | February 27, 2008 01:01 PM
-------------

That's bacause the Rapids play at a much, much less standard of quality. Yeah, I know what you're thinking..."less quality than the Crew?" Amazingly, it is possible.

Posted by: Kosh | February 27, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I put it in quotes b/c I knew it was there, duh. :-)

Posted by: jgildea | February 27, 2008 12:21 PM
---------------

I know jgildea, but it's a slow news day and I'm teeing off on whatever is out there. Sorry, I just really need the season to start.

Posted by: Kosh | February 27, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Any chance you kids can chill out on the inappropiate language and crude remarks? I'm sure there are a ton of people who would hate to lose the Soccer Insider or have it curtailed. Grow up children...

Posted by: UncleSam | February 27, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Please people - show some respect for your first amendment rights. Debate, discourse, discussions, intelligent banter can occur without showing the maturity of a middle-schooler.

The more time Goff spends editing BigSoccer.com the more he's likely to give up this activity and the less time he has to chase down stories and craft his wonderful articles on all things related to football in this country, including DC United.

Just show some respect.

Posted by: Idealist | February 27, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Here's another vote for Philadelphia Independence FC.

Posted by: CMJ | February 27, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Here's another vote for Philadelphia Independence FC.

Posted by: CMJ | February 27, 2008 02:01 PM
----------------------------------------

I dunno, looks cool like that, but consider the short version..."Philly Indy" or even worse "Philly Indy FC" (you have to say it out loud to really get how bad it could be).

Posted by: edgeonyou | February 27, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Philadelphia Independence FC? I dunno. Try saying it out loud a few times - that's a whole lotta syllables. It would have to be shortened, at least for casual conversation, and all I can come up with (that doesn't sound stupid to me) is 'Philly'. Which is what I'd call it if the team had no name at all.

Posted by: Names are hard.... | February 27, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: longfellow | February 27, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

With Nico on our squad, total world domination cannot be far behind!

Posted by: Crew Fan | February 27, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm kinda surprised that Goff tolerated a few of the posts toward the end of that recent thread on Santino Quaranta.

Posted by: tri-village | February 27, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I don't see the need to add Philadelphia to the team's name. I mean Independence FC (or SC, to be poilitaclly correct) sounds nice and smooth to me. You get a feel for where the team is from and what it's about. Or they could go with some "Keystone" reference in their naming. That would work too. As long as they don't go with the name of some animal or natural disaster...I mean we have too many of those. But hey that's just me.

Also I appologize for my BigSoccer-like banter earlier. Slow day, and I was just having some fun. My bad. Appi-polololo-gies.

Posted by: Kosh | February 27, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

longfellow,

I believe that RSL fans can pencil him in as a starter on the medical staff.

In all seriousness, it could be a great signing, depending on what system Kreis will use this year.

Posted by: B.A. | February 27, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

"As long as they don't go with the name of some animal or natural disaster."

The Washington Snow Forecast!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 27, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

"Or they could go with some 'Keystone' reference in their naming."

You mean to be mocked as the Keystone Kops? I just don't see that ever happening.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | February 27, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

they could bring back the Pennsylvania Stoners franchise back to life!

Posted by: dyslexis | February 27, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Ward is a left back. I don't see the need to bring him in to Colorado when they already have Burciaga and Prideux there. Seems like a weird move to get that player. The third pick is a proverbial Cheerio box, so nothing gained there.

That said, I like the move for the Crew. I have always enjoyed Niko's game and really wanted him as our third forward option for a while. He should be a good partner for Moreno, and the partnership with Schelotto should be interesting.

Posted by: Jason | February 27, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tri-village | February 27, 2008 02:28 PM

He didn't. The posts are gone and the thread was shut down. He probably would have gotten to it sooner, but he's got that whole sports-writer thing goin' on...

Posted by: Joe Doc | February 27, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

That was a different thread. The Quaranta thread is still intact, complete with commentary such as:

"That's YOUR JOB!! What are you talking about we dont get paid to cheer you dumbfuc. we do it because we like to and because its our passion but ofcourse u would never understand that because u dont even have passion for your ugly a.s family. As i said be4 FU.K Tino and Fu.k U TOO"

Posted by: tri-village | February 28, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Prideux's going to be cut next week but the writing was on the wall long, long before this deal.

Good move by CO to free up cap space. Niko's a striker in Clavijo's mold : great work rate and enough skill to play in the Argentine 2nd division but not the MLS. I've never seen a striker so shy to take a shot when he's got one. The ladies in Columbus should be happy... at least until they see him continually failing to score.

Posted by: Allen | February 28, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse