DCU Roster Update

Having trouble keeping track of who is in D.C. United training camp? Yeah, me too.

Here's the latest roster information from California, where United is facing Chivas USA in a scrimmage today and will play San Jose at Cal Poly SLO on Sunday:

Ben Olsen (ankles) and Jeff Carroll (toe) remain sidelined by injuries. Gonzalo Peralta will return from personal leave in Argentina on Thursday. Rookies James Thorpe and Tony Schmitz have returned to school to graduate. Quavas Kirk has joined the squad following Friday's trade with the Galaxy and former L.A. midfielder Josh Gardner has started his tryout. Veterans Jamil Walker and Justin Moose continue to pursue DCU contracts. Draftees Brandon Owens and Dan Stratford, as well as free agents Grady Renfrow and Pat Carroll, are with the club. Trialist Ardalan Attar is apparently gone.

New to camp for tryouts: Maryland defender Spencer Allen, Virginia midfielder Dane Murphy and Denver goalkeeper Matt Bredehoft (DCU assistant Chad Ashton is the former Denver coach).

Did I miss anyone?

[updated] Chivas defeated United, 1-0.

On the MLS front, New England has formally announced the signing of Honduras midfielder Mauricio Castro . From what I understand, defender Jay Needham, MLS property of United and under contract with USL Puerto Rico, did not accompany the Galaxy to Hawaii for the Pan-Pacific tournament after spending time in L.A. training camp.

By Steve Goff  |  February 18, 2008; 2:59 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kassel on Terps' List, but.....
Next: Hello, Is There Anybody In There?

Comments

Hope the result from today's scrimmage Is good. I wonder why closed!

Posted by: td | February 18, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Josh Gardner... I wonder, does LA still own his rights? Perhaps we could just swap Gardner's rights for Needham's.

Posted by: DCUMD | February 18, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

0-0 at halftime

Posted by: Goff | February 18, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Gardner is a free agent.

Posted by: Goff | February 18, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

And it seems pretty clear that Needham doesn't want to play for DC.

Posted by: Soy United! | February 18, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

0-0 at halftime
Posted by: Goff | February 18, 2008 03:29 PM
-----
ugh....

Posted by: td | February 18, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Needham was cut by the Galaxy last week.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 18, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

That last paragraph is a confusing sentence. Needham signed with New England?

Posted by: sitruc | February 18, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

fixed

Posted by: Goff | February 18, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Chivas wins, 1-0

Posted by: Goff | February 18, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

So is Gardner a true free agent, or does LA still own his rights the way we did with Gomez or Vanney?

Posted by: AJ | February 18, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

OK, unless DCU is saving the mastermind winning skills for later dates and not showing off what they've, I am bignning to wonder are they real?

Posted by: td | February 18, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

1-0? Ugh...

Posted by: Mike | February 18, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

its practice kids. lets not get discouraged yet

Posted by: moses | February 18, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

We lost in a scrimmage?

OMG, we might not win a single game this year!

Posted by: Matt Mathai | February 18, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Scrimmages hate soccer.

Posted by: Lost in BA | February 18, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Hey, overreactors to my supposed overreaction, maybe you guys should chill. i can't help being a fan and wanting them to win every game they play. If I am wrong in wanting my favorite team to win, then I am fine being wrong. I know it is a scrimmage and I know it is pre-season because I am not stupid, but I want my team to win. Get off your high horse.

Posted by: Mike | February 18, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

We lost in a scrimmage?

OMG, we might not win a single game this year!

Posted by: Matt Mathai | February 18, 2008 04:57 PM
-----------------------------------------------

you're right- we may not if this trend continues.

get ready for: ohhh its just preseason, wait till the season starts. then ohhh its just the regular season, wait for the playoffs. then where's our stadium fenty!!

Posted by: mb | February 18, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the fix and the update.

Posted by: sitruc | February 18, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

To me, losing 1-0 in a scrimmage is just fine. These "games" are broken up by 3 half-hour sessions. So, if the C team lets up a goal, I'm not sure that is too much of a problem. I'm more concerned that our A team isn't scoring. The goal of these sessions is not to win... it is to keep our roster players fit, adjust strategies and tactics and get a look at the players who are on the bubble of making the roster. Still, if we won every scrimmage so far, I think people (including maybe me) would be saying the Cup and Shield are ours.

Posted by: Greifie | February 18, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

To me im not worried about losing, once i find out the info, like how did we look out there? Fitness wise? Oppurtunities? We're we playing with our B team? We're we playing around with the formation? How did we get scored on? How many shots on goal did we have? How many close oppurtunities did we have? How long was our A' Team playign for? How did Gallardo look? How did our D' Look? etc. Stuff like that.

Once i know all this then its time to analyze. But until then, its just a number. 1-0. Big whoop.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | February 18, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

The last time the Redskins won the Super Bowl, they had a horrible pre-season and lost every game badly... just sayin'

Posted by: AlecW81 | February 18, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Don't mind the bad grammer uptop.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | February 18, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I don't enjoy reading "the sky is falling" level reactions (though I realize I'll see them again and again as long as I read comments on internet message boards). People being frustrated that we have just one preseason win? Reasonable. People using this to predict we will miss the playoffs? Unreasonable.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | February 18, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

As a fan, I am eager to win all games regardless. It's about building the confidence and not oh we lost another pre-season games. We shall see. If the team wins when the real games start and get us to any of the champoinship trophies I would be the first one hang upside down and admit that I was wrong!

Posted by: td | February 18, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm not going to make a big deal of it, but I sure would like to hear we actually won a scrimmage against somebody other than the US U-17s.

For all the new players I'm not hearing a lot of scoring or winning????

Posted by: Nick from Big Soccer | February 18, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

donde esta moreno, yo???

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | February 18, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Of course there is reason to be concerned. Although there is a lot of lineup-tinkering and reserve play in these preseason games, both teams want to win -- particularly DCU, given its lack of success so far. It by no means makes it likely that DC will struggle out of the gate, but it's safe to infer that the team hasn't found its form as well as one would have hoped.

Posted by: mk | February 18, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Here is a story on the match.

Posted by: Luis | February 18, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

29 days to the first home match!

Posted by: Curious | February 18, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

29 days to the first home match!
Posted by: Curious | February 18, 2008 07:16 PM
------
DCU website says 40 days..what do they mean?

Jesse Marsch's retalation sounds pretty nasty and he should have been sent off just by saying a language like that acting stupid like that. He is a rubish man. It's clearly discrimination.

Posted by: td | February 18, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't read a thing into the loss today.

Looking at the lineups presented in that blog, the first half and second half DC United sides were both a mix of first XI and reserve players.

The first XI hasn't really played all that much as a unit together. Until they get a chance to, who cares? It's just preseason.

Posted by: Mike | February 18, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Internet nut | February 18, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

40 vs 29 probably due to counting down to Harbor View match vs first MLS match

Posted by: emanon | February 18, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

29 v. 40: CONCACAF (3/28) v. MLS (4/5)

Posted by: dcca | February 18, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, typo, 3/18 for CONCACAF Harbor View FC at RFK.

Posted by: dcca | February 18, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Thanks all for clearing up the dates mixed up.

Rossi missed a pk against Racing at the last two munites and ended up draw. What a shame! The keeper was already sent to the wrong side, if he didn't send out wide.

Posted by: td | February 18, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Did I miss something? I thought his birthday came and passed and he was still Italian. Aren't American players the only people who can't finish?

Posted by: sitruc | February 18, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Aren't you guys worried about Benny? I thought he was going to have this really routine surgery (if there is such a thing) right after last season, watch some great DVDs with his legs up on the couch, and then be back and better than ever for this season. Now he's back for more treatment and still not training. Yikes!
Get well soon, Ben!

Posted by: David | February 18, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

"How about Jay Needham?" was my thought. Even the LA Galaxy doesn't want him.
Maybe he is 10 yrs too young for them.
It's looking like Payne's comments concerning him not really being in DCU plans is for a good reason. Perhaps Jay should take a harder look at his career. You know, that back-up plan.

Posted by: marksman | February 19, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Niell didn't play at all? Did I miss something?

Posted by: BK | February 19, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

I would guess that it says a lot that despite all their defensive problems last year LA still doesn't want Needham.

Posted by: DCUMD | February 19, 2008 7:53 AM | Report abuse

So Castro is stepping down in Cuba and signing with New England? Once a revolutionary, always a revolutionary.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 19, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Goff,
Do you have access to or inside as to what champions league games on TV today in the US? I am trying to track down but except Liverpool v Inter on BSPN2 at 2:30pm EST and Roma v. Real Madrid at 5:00pm on BSPNc Ch 265 VA I don't see any on FSC or GolTv. I bet they are Setanta. I stayed home for this very purpose!!!

Posted by: td | February 19, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

td, ESPN carries the Champions League coverage here in the states and I'm not sure that FSN/Setanta/GolTV have any coverage at all.

Posted by: strago | February 19, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

strago:
Thanks.

Posted by: td | February 19, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

----
Well, Chest, thanks for deigning to join us anyway, and we'll try to improve our behavior. Do know that we're going to get you (along with Mast Juan) a FREE Insider Nation t-shirt once they're printed up.

I for one think it's peachy that Gallardo & Co. are not scoring goals.

Posted by: gringo | February 19, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Needham has anything to worry about. He's making decent coin in Puerto Rico, and was the USL Player of the Year. Maybe he'll never develop into an MLS-caliber defender, maybe he will in a few years time, all I know, is I wouldn't be in too quick a hurry to leave Puerto Rico. The women, the beaches, the rum, what's not to like?

Posted by: AlecW81 | February 19, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Needham was Rookie of the Year not POTY

Posted by: Anonymous | February 19, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

My prediction of the sky is falling is coming true.

Posted by: Nostradamus | February 19, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I hope those of you with yesterday off enjoyed the nice weather, while the rest of us stiffs were stuck in the office. I hope your pickup game ended in a draw after you netted an own goal in the closing seconds. So there!

On another equally stupid note, I watched The Big Lebowski over the weekend, and I gotta say: it wasn't funny. Ok, yeah, there were some funny scenes, but overall, I was trying to figure out the cult-like hype over it. What did I miss?

BTW... United wins the SS again this year. You read it here.

Posted by: Joe Doc | February 19, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Joe Doc - I went by your office yesterday to gloat. Didn't you hear the horn? I'm bummed that you missed it because I rented a convertible specifically for the occasion.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 19, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

there was a lot about the Dude that didn't make a whole lotta sense

Posted by: Anonymous | February 19, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I-270, Exit 1, you're cold. Ice cold.

Posted by: Joe Doc | February 19, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Goff? Steve? Hello....? I'm jonesing, man! I need the Insider crack!!!!

Posted by: gilbert | February 19, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Ice cold is now a goalkeeper in noway.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 19, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

The biggest factor in our success this year will be Gallardo. And let's face it, the guy is not going to come in and blow up immediately. It takes some time for a playmaker to gel with his teammates. But he's got the pedigree. We're going to be fine.

Posted by: Matte | February 19, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I predict United will get hot in mid-June, fizzle out in late August, then get things together in time for a solid playoff run.

Posted by: AlecW81 | February 19, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

AlecW81, sounds like '05. SCHWEET!

Posted by: Matte | February 19, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Where was Franco Niell during the Chivas scrimmage?

Posted by: BK | February 19, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, Niell wasn't tall enough to get on Space Mountain, so he went home.

Posted by: AlecW81 | February 19, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

well played ALec

Posted by: Anonymous | February 19, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

My prediction of the sky is falling is coming true.

Posted by: Nostradamus | February 19, 2008 10:35 AM
-------------------------------------------

Actually, that's my prediction. Yours is something about the world ending.

Posted by: Chicken Little | February 19, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Any truth to the New England DP rumor?

Posted by: Golden Baller | February 19, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

What NE DP rumor?

Posted by: gilbert | February 19, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm not posting the link to Ives blog on Goff's blog. Bad form IMO...

Posted by: Golden Baller | February 19, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

No names mentioned on the NE DP rumor...

Posted by: RK | February 19, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

No news today?

Posted by: DC United Fan | February 19, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Hello.
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone home (Goff)?

Come on, now.
I hear youre feeling down.
Well I can ease your pain,
Get you on your feet again.

Relax.
I need some information first.
Just the basic facts:
Can you show me where it hurts?

Posted by: GoldenChild | February 19, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I heard a caller to world soccer daily say that one of the "considerations" that dc got from colorado in exchange for gomez was their DP slot. is there any truth to this?

Posted by: moses | February 19, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

moses,

Goff's covered it in some of the previous posts. The best answer would be "yes, but not in name."

Joe Doc,

Obviously, you're not a golfer. :)

Sky,

I believe you're not falling. I know you're not falling. But I look at Atlas, and he doesn't look in shape, and... I'm a bit worried by that.

Posted by: B.A. | February 19, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I need help understanding New England's plan for acquiring a DP.

NE wants a DP

=> the man for whom you are ready to pay the big bucks

=> proven-excellent-impact player

=> higly-desirable

=> currently under contract somewhere

=> unavailable since the transfer window closed a couple of weeks ago

Are they thinking loan, quality player who just happens to be languishing out of contract, or what? I just don't get it. Can anyone help explain?

Posted by: Postmaster | February 19, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

must have missed that explanation. thanks B.A.

Posted by: moses | February 19, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Postmaster-

The transfer window did not close a few weeks ago if you are an MLS team, only in Europe. European teams can't BUY anyone- they can still sell. MLS can buy through April 15.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 19, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

is it just me or does it seem that it is more difficult to get information about united this pre-season. It appears that even brother goff is having some difficulty in getting info. It would be nice if the club itself would offer a daily training ground report that offers us at least who was at training and what they club worked on during the session. I am not asking for the divulgence of team secrets, but it would be nice if the loyal fan base could be kept in the know: at least somewhat. This is most notably a problem when the club is training away from RFK such that steve can't follow. During these times the club drops off the face of the planet except for whatever steve can dig up through his sources.

Posted by: rob | February 19, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Kemo Sabe.

Posted by: Postmaster | February 19, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Alert...I wasn't kidding the first two times. Seriously, no one knows why Niell's name was absent from the roster vs Chivas? Would have thought someone here would have heard.

Posted by: BK | February 19, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse