DCU Update

Greetings from chilly Lot 7 outside Estadio RFK (aka the training grounds).

A quick update:

*Trialist defenders Grady Renfrow and Spencer Allen have been let go. So has the former U. of Denver goalkeeper whose name escapes me at the moment.

*The young Brazilian, Cezar, whom we told you about yesterday, is here. Another trialist, former Stanford midfielder-defender Galen Thompson, will join the club in Texas tomorrow. The most famous trialist, Santino Quaranta, is here and will travel to San Antonio.

*Justin Moose was in North Carolina the last few days but is expected to rejoin the club tomorrow and continue his tryout in Texas. Dane Murphy (Virginia) has also been invited to the next stage of training camp.

*Pat Carroll is still with the club, a sign that he will earn a developmental contract.

*Franco Niell did not practice today because of his knee contusion, but is working out inside and is fine, according to a team spokesman. Ben Olsen remains sidelined with ankle issues but is hoping to join the club in Texas next week to start workouts. Clyde Simms (hip) was jogging on the side while the rest of the players practiced.

More later.....

By Steve Goff  |  February 28, 2008; 11:55 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Methadone Metronome
Next: Santino Apologizes

Comments

Goff,

do you know of any audio,video or TV feed that will show the philadelphia coverage?

Posted by: Soccer is my LIFE | February 28, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

MLSnet.com will have a live feed of the Philadelphia announcement.

Posted by: Doze | February 28, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Scheduled for 2 p.m. EST.

Hey, Steve, how did we rate double coverage today?

Steinberg is in the house...or at least that's what he says in his Sports Bog.

Posted by: seahawkdad | February 28, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

When do MLS rosters need to be finalized? March 2nd?
Doesn't there seem to be a lot of players vying for only a few available spots? If so then who will get those spots on the full roster and which players are still available for developmental slots?
Sorry for so many questions...

Posted by: blackandredblood | February 28, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Is Jamil Walker still around?

Posted by: Rex | February 28, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Steve, how did we rate double coverage today?
Steinberg is in the house...or at least that's what he says in his Sports Bog.

Posted by: seahawkdad | February 28, 2008 12:13 PM

==============

I'm not Steve, but...
I think that Steinberg is seizing the opportunity, provided by Bobby Boswell's trade, to have the most relevant site for irrelevant DC United information. Besides, he needs to keep his soccer chops honed for the times that Steve is away covering the National or Olympic teams.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 28, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what this big announcement in Philly is all about? ;)

Posted by: boda united | February 28, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Is DCU ever going to go back to the pre-Nowak days with open training sessions for the public? It was a pleasure to be able to drive to Pizza Hut Park and watch the team train in Frisco and not have to be a media member or an UBER special VIP-somebody.

Posted by: El Pichichi | February 28, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Any truth that Stratford is pushing Simms out of the starting DM slot?

Posted by: delantero | February 28, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

delantero, if Stratford wins that spot Simms becomes HUGE trade bait. He had a good year last year.

Posted by: Matte | February 28, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff,
Why don't you just give us your cell # and we can call with questions? That would be fun, right?

Posted by: jgildea | February 28, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Think it would be great if Stratford pushes Simms, that's what developmental players are supposed to do. Keeps the team sharp and provides options for a long season. Would think it to be a massive mistake to get rid of Simms because of a strong showing by a young player in one camp and don't think it will happen.

Posted by: -K | February 28, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I think the released Denver goalie is Matt Bredhoft (not sure if I trust the source as I think it's some Washington Post reporter's blog!).

**********************************
"Any truth that Stratford is pushing Simms out of the starting DM slot?"

Posted by: delantero | February 28, 2008 12:52 PM
*********************************

I thought that was just hyperbole from a Washington Times headline.

Posted by: garbaggio | February 28, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

You can still use Olsen in DCM, too. Simms is replaceable if DCU can find flank players that can play.

Posted by: therealfootball | February 28, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update, Steve.

I keep hearing of all these players we are taking a look at, is this for developmental reasons only, or do we still have open spots on the full roster?

Just curious, because our date with Harbour (sp?) View is upon us, and with no word coming out about the progress of pre-season I am staring to get a little uneasy under the collar. It's probably not as bad as I may think, but a bit more info from the club would help. In any case, thanks again Steve for getting us what you can. Were it not for you, I'd probably have gone full blown mad by now.

Posted by: Kosh | February 28, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kosh | February 28, 2008 01:03 PM
-----------------------------------------------

I would assume that DC is wisely using this time as a chance to take a look at a lot of players who probably won't make the roster right now, but might come in useful sometime in the middle of season if the roster needs replenishing due to injury or other factors. If I were a coach or GM, I'd just as soon bring someone in who is a semi-known quantity and I've got some kind of relationship with, as opposed to some random USL1 player. Just a guess though.

Posted by: edgeonyou | February 28, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

"Harbour (sp?) View"

As the team's name, it's a proper noun. So "Harbor View" would be incorrect. Same goes for the Labour Party in Great Britain. The media get that one wrong all the time.

I'm not the Grammar Police. I'm just a concerned citizen.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 28, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Thanks for the update!

Now, how do these guys look? Fat or Fit? What formation are we playing? Who's hot? Who's not? What's the team lacking? How many press people are there? How many Fans?

Posted by: Looking Dangerous | February 28, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I believe we have a few senior spots still open as well? 2 maybe?

Posted by: strago | February 28, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Any news about a Swiss trialist from Grasshoppers? Name's David Blumer, apparently. Another striker. Franco Niell doesn't inspire enough confidence? Jaime? Luci? We seem to be shopping around.

Posted by: Dan | February 28, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Kosh, you are stark raving mad.

Posted by: Matte | February 28, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Philadelphia the city of Brotherly Love? I thought that was San Fransisco?

:P

Posted by: Garret | February 28, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Where is the MLSnet.com feed?

Posted by: Sons of Ben | February 28, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff,

Posted by: jgildea | February 28, 2008 12:58 PM
------------------------------------------
Steve asked me to give everyone his cell phone number: 867-5309

Posted by: Joe Doc | February 28, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking about putting my bosses number there and signing it Goff, but I guess the cold medicine I was on wore off just in time.

Posted by: jgildea | February 28, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Steve writes: "Ben Olsen ... is hoping to join the club in Texas next week to start workouts."

That's GREAT news!

Posted by: Anonymous | February 28, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Just getting the best depth we can...

Posted by: B.A. | February 28, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and ask for Jenny.

Posted by: Joe Doc | February 28, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm not the Grammar Police. I'm just a concerned citizen.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 28, 2008 01:12 PM

no you're a geek.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 28, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Whatever. But I sign my screen name to all my posts.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 28, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Quaranta's comments sound pretty honest to me. I'll take him at his word and wish him luck.

As for Blumer, unless he's willing to take a developmental contract (no way), aren't we pretty much all out of roster spots? Especially if Quaranta makes the team ahead of Walker and Moose. Blumer would have to bump Kpene in my mind to have a chance.

Posted by: DCUMD | February 28, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg is in the house...or at least that's what he says in his Sports Bog.

Posted by: seahawkdad | February 28, 2008 12:13 PM

There are a couple of entertaining DCU related posts on the bog today.

Posted by: emanon | February 28, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

As far as I can tell, we have seven players (Kpene, Dyachenko, Blumer, Cesar, Quaranta, Moose, Walker) fighting for three spots. Kpene, Cesar, Blumer, and Quaranta could all be developmental, although I doubt the last three would accept that. Moose and Walker haven't sounded that impressive, so I don't see them sticking around. I think Dyachenko, Quaranta, and one of Blumer or Cesar get the remaining spots with Kpene going back to developmental.

FYI, we have to be roster compliant by March 1st. That means we can't have more than 18 senior players and 10 developmental players signed on the roster. Trialists don't count. Neither do unsigned players still in camp (i.e. any developmental players who are year to year or players we have that are out of contract like Moose and Walker).

The waiver draft is on Monday for anybody that gets released in the next few days.

Posted by: Jason | February 28, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

ARE THE NAMES OF THE PLAYERS AVAILABLE IN THE WAIVAER DRAFT POSTED ANYWHERE?

Posted by: CURIOUS | February 29, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Not yet. Some were released today (Virtuoso, Piercem and Thomas were waived by Columby for example), but most would be named either late today or Monday morning when the official waiver list is revealed.

Posted by: Jason | February 29, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse