Friday Roundup

*We're awaiting news on the negotiations between DCU and Colorado and Colorado and out-of-contract Christian Gomez. Last I heard, the deal was just about done.

*Speaking of the Rapids, a report in a Peruvian newspaper says the club was in talks with former Bolivian national team goalkeeper Jose Fernandez, who played seven games for the Revs in 2001 and is currently with a Chilean club Melipilla [correction: He plays in Peru.]. He is 37.

*By now, you know that Brad Guzan was denied a work permit in Britain and plans to play for Chivas USA again. Even Pravda found this newsworthy.

*Following up on our exclusive report about the site of the U.S. team's first World Cup qualifier, Home Depot Center has finalized an agreement to stage the match against Barbados or Dominica on June 15 at 2 p.m. Pacific time. Expect a formal announcement soon.

*We are still holding out hope today to see the complete USA roster that will face Mexico, but it appears a weekend announcement is more likely. Yesterday, Mexico unveiled its list.

*ESPN's MLS and national team broadcast lineup is set: JP Dellacamera (finally!) and John Harkes in the booth, sideline reporter Allen Hopkins, with Rob Stone and Julie Foudy in the studio. Thoughts?

*You read about it on the Insider a few weeks ago, but now it's official: D.C. United will play a preseason friendly against San Jose at Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo on Feb. 24. It's also been announced that DCU will play an away tuneup against the USL2's Richmond Kickers on March 22 -- four days after their Champions' Cup second leg match with Harbour View at RFK and a week before the MLS opener at Kansas City.

*The African Cup of Nations knockout stage is set for Sunday and Monday, highlighted by the Ghana-Nigeria matchup. Who is your pick to win the championship?

*Greg Andrulis signs a major recruit at George Mason University.

*And finally, congrats to Marco Etcheverry (DCU legend), Kevin Payne (DCU president), Cindi Harkes (former UVA star), Gary Allen (youth coach) and Ferdinand Paciolla (coach, administrator) for being voted into the Virginia-D.C. Soccer Hall of Fame.

By Steve Goff  |  February 1, 2008; 10:10 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Your Questions, My Answers
Next: Toronto News and SuperLiga Details

Comments

Too bad for El Guzano... Good for Chivas though

Posted by: -K | February 1, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Goff, what this I hear about a major announcement being made by Toronto today? Not that I really care about Toronto, but I am always interestd in anything MLS related. Thanks

Posted by: DC United Fan | February 1, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Free Eric Wynalda!

Posted by: RK | February 1, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Do we really need 5 people to cover a soccer match?

How about just JP in the booth and Stoner doing the studio show.

Posted by: Chris | February 1, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Eric Wynalda IS free. Free to not pollute my airaves. Free at last, free at last. Great God almighty, I am free at last.

Posted by: Chico | February 1, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Re: Mexico's lineup -- no Castillo = good, but Dos Santos = uh-oh. They're definitely bringing a strong lineup.

Re: JP. Dellacamera -- far and away the best thing the Metros have had going for them over the years. I'm glad to see him get his chance here.

Re: the Gomez deal -- why bother trying to get draft picks from the Rapids? If there's no chance of getting Clark or Cooke, we should go for allocation money alone. There's no point in getting draft picks, since D.C. United does not take the draft seriously and doesn't even try to draft well.

Posted by: Bootsy | February 1, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

You're spot on, JP is the best PBP guy around for soccer, and he's done a fine job with hockey, too.

Posted by: Kim | February 1, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

No Julie Foudy!!!!!
She's awful!!!

Posted by: USvsIreland | February 1, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

congrats to gary allen. i took a coaching course w/him and he was awesome...

Posted by: PKTaker | February 1, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm so happy to be rid of Tommy Smyth. His 'colorful Irishman' schtick was tired and old. Wynalda knew the game, but tried too hard sometimes to be edgy. And Mr. Baseball was just a bad fit all around.

JP will be a most welcome change.

Julie Foudy's voice grates on me.

In the end, I won't care one little bit if ESPN could just learn to keep the camera on the ball when it's in play.

Posted by: Matt Mathai | February 1, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

The changes on the ESPN night games are spectacular, utterly spectacular. First, Dellacamera is the BEST color guy for soccer in the country. That's fact, undeniable, undebatable fact. and no more three voices in the booth either. that was retarted.Every time i had to sit through 90 minutes of tommy, wynnie, and frankenstein o'brien i died inside a little bit.

Posted by: Andrew | February 1, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Dear DCU,
As a big United Supporter who recently moved to Richmond for school, thank you for playing the Kickers on the 22nd. This almost makes up for the Champions Cup games being played during the week when I have class.
Love, Matt

Posted by: Matt | February 1, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I can't stand Julie Foudy! Ugh. Get rid of her!!!!

Posted by: Johnny | February 1, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I'm less happy with the departure of Wynalda than I am with the departure of Dave O'Brien. Any soccer fan worth anything knows that listening to Dave O'Brien call a match was an excruciating experience. I have as much knowledge of the game in my big toe as he does throughout his body. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | February 1, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Glad to see JP in the booth for MLS matches. It's about time he took his place there.

Posted by: Malaga CF fan | February 1, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I don't know why the Rapids would be looking for another keeper. Bouna Coundoul had a great game in Senegal's last match in the ANC. 3 highlight reel saves.

Posted by: Malaga CF fan | February 1, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I'm fine with the ESPN broadcast lineup. Just take the cotton out of Allen Hopkins mouth and put it in Julie Foudy's with a piece of tape over it.

I also agree that five is too many. They should also concentrate on reducing the number of cameras they use to cover the game and hire some directors and producers from Europe. I often can't stand watching the games on ESPN because the folks in the booth don't seem to know futbol. Their camera switches don't make sense and are often behind the play so the viewer misses things.

Oh, and another thing. Stop interviewing the coaches during the game. I can't believe how patient the coaches are with ESPN over this. I can't stand it when a parent asks me a questions while coaching my 12 year olds.

Posted by: MezzSouthGoal | February 1, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Hey Goff

I dont want to call you out or anything but Jose Carlo Fernandez plays in Peru now for a team named Jose Galvez.

Posted by: 135 | February 1, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I guarantee that if United had traded for Guzan, that work permit would have been awarded and we would have lost both of our goalies across the pond. Best of luck to Wells and Carvallo this season, we are going to need 'em both to have outstanding years.

Vamos United!

Posted by: DudeAbides | February 1, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Rob Stone = ass clown

Julie Foudy = borderline retarded (nothing against retarded people, but they should not be in the booth)

John Harkes = pussy, Wynalda is an arrogant a-hole, but at least he can bring up some interesting points from time to time. Harkes is f-ing boring.

JP with Tommy Smith and Hopkins in the studio with Jen Chang, Ives Galarcep and Steven Goff.

Posted by: Uncle Jason | February 1, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

-----

No worries. Thanks for the update!

Posted by: Goff | February 1, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

To: Johnny and US vs Ireland,

We're coming for you.

Posted by: Mia & Co. | February 1, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

How can the Kickers game be a "tune-up" if DCU will already have played two games in a major tournament, the fact that it's Harbor View notwithstanding?

Posted by: Juan-John | February 1, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Va/DC Soccer Hall of Fame? Who knew?

Posted by: Chico | February 1, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

As for the African Cup of Nations I think the final will be Ghana and Ivory Coast. I fully expect that with Drogba as skipper the Ivory Coast will walk away with the Cup.

All the major European teams have sent scouts to Ghana, does anyone know if any MLS teams are checking out the talent.

Allez Drogs; ALLEZ COTE D'IVOIRE

Posted by: Allez Drogba | February 1, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

No Julie Foudy!!!!!
She's awful!!!

Posted by: USvsIreland | February 1, 2008 10:37 AM
----------------------

Agreed, listening to snaggletooth's voice is listening to fingernails running down a chalkboard!

Five people per production is ridiculous but is merely the standard for TV sports production these days. Ever heard Tony Siragusa chime in with his useless comments during a Fox NFL production? Good thing is that ESPN thinks MLS matches require this type of attention. I would however love to have just JP and Harkesey...with Stoner (actually, I prefer Dave Revsine) in the studio.

Posted by: DE | February 1, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

ESPN MLS focus must be to grow the audience, and I think this crew is good for that. Experienced TV pros who have covered more than one sport for an American audience, plus knowledge of the game. Wynalda and the Onion Bag were a big distraction.

Unlike many former male players (Wynalda being the prime example) Foudy doesn't preface everything she says with some interjection or reference about her own career. To me, her commentary is insightful and to the point, for either mens or womens games. Also she uses American English instead of affected British terms. ("Oh, my, doesn't Randy Moss have pace.") Why the hate?

To grow the audience, more important to work on who's behind the camera than in front. The camera work last year was horrible.

Posted by: WNT fan | February 1, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Why does ESPN insist on putting Julie Foudy in the booth. I wish they'd realize that ratings would be higher if they appealed to hardcore soccer fans. Foudy's glib commentary and lack of anything substantive to say in the booth is a real turnoff. I honestly sometimes ask myself if it's worth watching a game if I have to listen to her.

Posted by: Nic | February 1, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

-----

(sigh)

it's a figure of speech

a tuneup, an exhibition, a friendly, whatever you want to call it -- how about "just-for-fun activity"?

;-)

Posted by: Goff | February 1, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

""with Jen Chang,""

Talk about retarded. The guy has less knowledge of the game than community league parent who's been forced into coaching.

Posted by: Just Say NO | February 1, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

J.P. Dellacamera rocks! Maybe not as much as John Hiatt, but still...

African Nations Cup: The winner will be Didier Drogba!! The Chelsea striker will single-handedly slay all lions, including the Indomitable Lions in the final....

Should be very interesting. Can Tunisia's organization tame the high-scoring Indomitable Lions? How would Egypt fare in a rematch, after their huge opening round upset of Cameroon? Then there's the projected semi-final clash between Chelsea mates Drogba and Essien. While I'm going with Ivory Coast over Cameroon in the final, I woudn't be surprised if the Goffer's pick of Ghana comes through, and I wouldn't sell Tunisia short on chances of an upset over Cameroon...

Defintely some fine footy to to watch Sun. and Mon.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | February 1, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

=================================

Posted by: WNT fan | February 1, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Count how many times Harkes says "as well." He has one or two other irritating verbal tics. This will be painful for me. Glad to see Dellacamera.

Posted by: tps | February 1, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Foudy was against MLS from the start and caused the complete downfall of WUSA. Why is she on there at all?? I also heard she has real bad cooties!!!

Posted by: DA Soccer Fan | February 1, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Foudy hates freedom.

Posted by: GWB | February 1, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Foudy needs to go - she's awful and perpetuates the 'wussification' of American soccer.

Posted by: Kev | February 1, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Base your drinking game on how many times Harksie says "Absolutely JP" in response to anythign JP says. You'll be begging for me to return by mid May.

Posted by: Eric W | February 1, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Seems like strange timing to move Mo out of the coaching position, and supposedly up the ladder. Will TFC ever find consistency, or will that club always be chaotic...?

Just saying

Posted by: savannahfan | February 1, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Gary Allen was my C license instructor. Wonderful guy, very smart coach. Glad to see him on the list (and btw, his son is a heck of a player as well -- look for him to show up in Goff's blog in the coming years).

Posted by: MtP | February 1, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

What's up with Nery Castillo? He's not on the roster. Man, I was looking forward to seeing that kid play again. Is he injured or something?

Posted by: Matte | February 1, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Yet another reason why Goff is the King Kong of soccer bloggers: his patience with silly questions from not-had-first-cup-of-coffee readers! :-)

-------------------
"(sigh)

it's a figure of speech

;-)

Posted by: Goff | February 1, 2008 11:31 AM "

Posted by: Juan-John | February 1, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

@WNT Fan

"Dead wrong. The "hardcores" need to connect the dots between why MLS can't keep young players and this kind of cult-like mentality. Hardcore fans can watch higher quality men's soccer on TV pretty easily, they don't need (and many don't want) to watch MLS on ESPN."

Well, I'm about as hardcore a fan as you can get. I am not, however, a Euro poser (or poseur, if you wish.) Don't confuse the two. I want to see MLS succeed and want ESPN to improve its production values. Right now, their broadcasts bring to mind American Gladiators more than a soccer game. Way too glitzy, too many cuts to different camera angles, gross overuse of the Sputnik-cam, etc.

Just learn the basics. The ball should never leave the screen if it's in play. Show the coaches before the match, and if there's some controversial play or a goal. That's it. Don't go to a closeup of a player AFTER they've passed the ball. I want to see the ball and the receiver of the pass. It's really not that hard.

As it is, ESPN broadcasts are borderline unwatchable. You'd bring in a lot more hardcore fans if they'd improve.

Posted by: Matt Mathai | February 1, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

JPD is the best. Harkes is acceptable, but I'll miss Tommy Smith (yes, I like the onion bag references). Could be worse than Harkes...could be Bruce Arena. Stone and Foudy doing studio...at least I can mute my TV (DE is right - Revsine is vastly better than Stone).

Posted by: BillyBob | February 1, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Well i hope to see Gato Fernandez over here again, he studied here in colllege in the US, so his english should still be pretty good. He was out of work when he left chile and was about to head back to bolivia but got that last minute offer from peru. They are probably paying him pennies though.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | February 1, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kim | February 1, 2008 10:36 AM

Ouch.

Posted by: Mr. Its in the Net! | February 1, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

My vote is for Ghana and Ivory Coast to make it through and for Cameroon to get knocked out. I want Drogba & Essien away from Chelsea as long as possible and Eto' back to Barca asap!

Posted by: ANC | February 1, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Just Say NO:

""with Jen Chang,""

Just Say NO,

I was joking about having Ives, Chang, and Goff in the pre-game, but to try and bring Jen Chang down to a Julie Foudy level is idiotic. He is an excellent columnist and should team up with Goff and/or Ives. Let me guess who your favorite player is...Taylor Twellman...no, wait, Ben Olsen.

Have fun at the new WPS games, stud.

Posted by: Uncle Jason | February 1, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe any MLS team would spend one cent on the Bolivian goalkeeper Fernandez. I watched him play in Bolivia and there are highschool goalies who are better than he is. What a joke!

Posted by: Timoteo | February 1, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Uncle Jason,

I'd have to agree that Chang is an idiot. That's why his blog is at the bottom of the ESPN soccernet website---Because he's the worst they offer.

Posted by: low standards | February 1, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Matt -- I would agree that the production values are the key to attracting more fans, hardcore or otherwise. That was really my point. Whether you have Foudy in the studio or someone else.

Kev -- as for "wussification" -- well, look at your current MNT captain, anad the new MNT jersey (or should I say, blouse). And the fawning over DC United's first DP -- a grown-a*s man who in front of tens of thousands of spectators came up from behind another competitor and scratched at his eyes. I would argue strongly that, at a minimum, the percentage of wussies is no lower in the mens game than in the womens. Certainly Foudy, who wore the band for several hundred national team caps, at times in conditions the MNT wouldn't dream of playing in, and brought home two World Cups and two Olympic golds, doesn't contribute to the wussification of the game in America, quite to the contrary. Grow a neck, and stop hating the girls, it's not manly.

Posted by: WNT fan | February 1, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

To place Jen Chang on the same level as Goff is blasphemy. He offers poor insight and no journalistic integrity.

Goff, as we all have seen, sets a different standard.

Posted by: and another thing | February 1, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

At this point Cote d'Ivore has to be the favorite to win the ANC -- it's really theirs to lose as far as I can tell. Ghana at home should be the favorite, but from what I understand, they haven't been clicking, and the pressure to win at home may just be too much. All that said, it would not shock me to see (defending champ) Egypt or Tunisia winning either. Both teams are fairly inconsistent, but when firing on all cylinders and maintaining composure, can play with anyone at the ANC.

Posted by: edgeonyou | February 1, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Hatin' on the girls ain't manly but watching play sure is boring.

Posted by: HulkHogan | February 1, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Watching anyone play soccer is boring.

Posted by: Jim Rome | February 1, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

American announcers, the lot of them, have no clue on how to call a soccer game and are not getting any better just like our refs. Sign up Martin Tyler as "Designated Announcer" and bring him over.

Foudy's on the spot observation and soccer IQ is much higher than the rest of the clowns on that crew.

Bring on Ray Hudson and let's have some fun. Actually most of the guys from GolTV are better than these idiots.

Posted by: Cleatmarks | February 1, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

For those of us who like to root for the underdog, who qualifies as a Cinderella team? Guinea?

Posted by: 22201 | February 1, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Listening to Jim Rome is boring and harmful to your mental health.

Posted by: Jim Everett | February 1, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Foudy's comments are often predictable, cliche-ridden, and generic. But at least her comments are on the level and not tainted by personal agendas, which has been a problem with Wynalda and Arena, and perhaps Harkes to a lesser extent.

BTW, Foudy is hardly the best woman working in this field. Whatever happened to Wendy Gebauer Palladino, who teamed up really well with JPD in the past?

Posted by: 22201 | February 1, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 22201 | February 1, 2008 12:38 PM
-----------------------------------

Of those that are left, Angola is the only one that could sort of be considered a Cinderella. Just to give you a sense, here are the FIFA rankings from a few weeks ago of the eight quarterfinalits (the ranking is within Africa) And yes, I know the FIFA rankings are absurd, but they're all we've got...

1 - Nigeria (not that they're playing like it...)
2 - Cameroon (ditto)
3 - Guinea
4 - Egypt (defending champs)
5 - Ivory Coast
8 - Ghana (home team)
9 - Tunisia
13 - Angola

Posted by: edgeonyou | February 1, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Pravda also found it worthy to mention IUPUI: http://newsfromrussia.com/news/sports/25-01-2008/103665-IUPUI_donation-0
Slow news days in Russia...

Posted by: c-hawk | February 1, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I CAN'T STAND Julie Foudy on soccer broadcasts! Why does ESPN insist on using her? And where's Brandi Chastain? I liked her on the MLS broadcasts.

FWIW, I really liked Eric Wynalda's honesty of opinion. I'd much rather have a commentator who calls it like he sees it, even if I don't always agree with his calls.

Posted by: de | February 1, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Allez Drogba asks "does anyone know if any MLS teams are checking out the talent."

MLS can't afford anyone playing in this tournament. There are great opportunities for MLS to recruit good, cheap talent from Africa, but the teams recruiting at this tournament will be offering contracts well past the MLS range.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | February 1, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

If JP does the MLS broadcasts the way he did the Champions League then this will be a great improvement. But if ESPN tells him to dumb it down, then it won't improve things much. I heard JP do some MLS games in the past and that is exactly what happened. He dumbed it down and was as bad as all the other lame ESPN announcers. ESPN thinks that the people watching are stupid and don't realize that the announcers are spouting rubbish. But I think they're wrong and that soccer fans know they're being bulls++ted.

As far as Wynalda is concerned - glad to see him go. This is the guy who before the 2006WC wrote that Taylor Twellman should start ahead on Brian McBride on the USMNT. Wynalda completely dismissed McBride's scoring in the EPL by stating how easy it was to score in the EPL. Yeah, Wynalda had opinions, but so does every horse's ass.

Posted by: CenterCounter | February 1, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

nery's injured

Posted by: kikin | February 1, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

It's funny how everyone on here is clamoring for JP Dellacamera. I may be dating myself, but I remeber 15 years ago when the only source of soccer information was the dead-tree edition of SoccerAmerica. There was one universal among the soccer crowd, and that was that JP was a horrible announcer for the few games that made it to TV. All these other people were still playing in the game, not sitting in the booth. We definitely have come a long way.

For the record, JP is now great, but I can't stand Harkes, and the rest I will be fast-forwarding through anyway.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | February 1, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Come to think of it, that was closer to 20 years ago now. :-(

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | February 1, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

If it wasn't for Seamus Malin I wuldn't be a fan. Best US announcer ever. http://cdn.libsyn.com/epltalk/EPLTalk_episode14.mp3

Posted by: rykoman | February 1, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

ACN question: does anybody know whether or not having onse side of the bracket be all west african was done on purpose? did the game the matchups or was it all a happy coincidence?

Posted by: free dc | February 1, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Nice. No Wynalda.

Posted by: Shane MacGowan's Teeth | February 1, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: free dc | February 1, 2008 01:56 PM
------------------------------------------

Three teams from the west and one from the north are competing for one spot in the finals; ditto for the four teams competing for the other spot. It doesn't look terribly unbalanced to me.

Posted by: 22201 | February 1, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rykoman | February 1, 2008 01:54 PM
------------------------------------------

According to Wikipedia, Malin still works for BSPN, but I can't remember when I last saw him. Does he do mostly Euro action, which I seldom get a chance to see? I wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot at MLS or other domestic action.

I'd like to see Brandi Chastain on camera again, too.

Posted by: 22201 | February 1, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

he talks about espn, other announcers etc here in a great interview done a little while ago..works for espn for int'l games but for non us feed I believe

I'd like to see Brandi Chastain on camera again, too.

Posted by: 22201 | February 1, 2008 02:14 PM

Posted by: rykoman | February 1, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 22201 | February 1, 2008 02:07 PM
--------------------------------------------
d'oh. i read it too fast and thought the sunday games were one bracket and the monday games the other. the political and historical things for the sunday games are fascinating.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 1, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------

I can date myself better than that. I've been reading the dead-tree version of SA for over 30 years.

Posted by: 22201 | February 1, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

kikin, thanks for the info on Nery. Too bad. That kid's solid gold.

Posted by: Matte | February 1, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

MLS can't afford anyone playing in [the African Cup of Nations]...

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | February 1, 2008 01:22 P
----------------------------------------------

I generally agree with LeesburgSoccerFan's posts, but I have to take issue with this one. Yes, if you look at some squads like Ghana or Ivory Coast, you'll see that 95% of the players play club ball in Europe. However, if you look at the defending champion and current quarterfinalist Egypt's squad, most of the players play club ball in Egypt. Previous champion and current quarterfinalist Tunisia ha about half its squad playing domestically.

So while MLS obviously can't compete for the top talent (the BBC website ran a good story about Premiership scouting at the ACN), there's no reason to think it can't compete for some of the less heralded players. Of course the wild card is that we have no idea what Tunisian or Egyptian club salaries are, but until someone posts a link that demonstrates these as being outside MLS's capacity, I remain unconvinced that MLS should simply ignore African talent.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 1, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 22201 | February 1, 2008 03:40 PM
============

Oh yeah?! Well I remember watching soccer in black and white - at the stadium!

As far as announcers go, why does Fox/Sky Sports hire only Scots. Ah canna unnerstan a bludy ward thar sayin.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 1, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

I just don't get it. I don't think Julie Foudy is bad on the air at all for the pregame show. I can smell the sexism coming off the computers in your mothers basements. For a pregame show she's absolutely fine.

Posted by: nycct | February 1, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

ESPN LISTEN: No sideline reporter or studio team is needed. Don't kill the game with nonsense and don't treat your viewers like idiot children.

Posted by: Matt L | February 2, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse