Gomez Deal Announced [updated]

[updated with details, clarifications]

After weeks of contract and trade negotiations, the Christian Gomez deal that sends his rights from DCU to Colorado is now official. As we reported, United received the Rapids' first-round draft pick in 2009 as well as future considerations. What are those considerations? The latest I've heard from multiple sources is that D.C. will have Colorado's designated player slot for at least two years. (United filled its own DP position by signing Marcelo Gallardo last week.).

So is DCU planning to acquire another big-name foreigner soon? No, not right away anyway. But if, say, the club were to receive a major offer this summer for Luciano Emilio, it would be in position to replace him with a high-priced forward from Latin America or Europe. It could also upgrade Emilio's salary to DP.

Clearly, DCU's ownership -- which is responsible for paying the balance of a DP salary beyond the 400K (or 325K for a second DP) covered by the league -- is prepared to make the financial commitment to upgrade the roster again, if necessary.

That's all for now. If something surfaces over the weekend, I will rejoin you here. Otherwise, see ya Monday morning.

By Steve Goff  |  February 8, 2008; 3:57 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Falls to Odense
Next: Gbandi Out, Corrales and Borchers In?

Comments

Goff,

I thought the 2nd DP was a 325K hit against the cap (400K being the first DP) BAsed on the NYRB situation last year. Or did the league give NYRB speacial treatment?

(gasps!)

Posted by: Looking Dangerous | February 8, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow...
Has there been talk of giving the spot to Luci instead of replacing him with it?
Does that mean that Colorado cannot use it for the next three years?

Posted by: jgildea | February 8, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Woah, I thought Colorado said, "No way!" when D.C. demanded the DP straight up. But to get rights to the DP and a first rounder (granted, no extra money...) silences all the, "DC has no leverage" trade critics.

Awesome.

Posted by: James | February 8, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Wow. I'd say we made out like bandits on this deal. Thank you Colorado. I can't wait to see how Rapids fans react to this. That said, I'm sorry to see Gomez go.

Posted by: Doze | February 8, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

DP for 3 years and a 1st rounder.......a steal by Kasper and Company once the Gallardo > Gomez decision was made.

Now Emilio can be paid more $$ if he repeats his 2007 season and requires more $$ or DCU can begin courting a forward like Shevchenko - either way, it is a $325K salary hit.

Posted by: Zman | February 8, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Josh | February 8, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Scheva!

Posted by: UVA-United | February 8, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Mrs. Sheva!

Posted by: Sean | February 8, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

This just proves Colorado and KSE are not planning on using the DP slot. They don't want to spend that kind of money on the team payroll. "We built the stadium, now you want us to do what?"

I'm happy as a Rapids fans to have Gomez and I am not worried about trading the DP spot. It does more good that way then just letting it sit there for a rainy day that was never going to come.

Posted by: Bonji | February 8, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

"As a fan of neither team, I think this shows how inept Colorado's front office is."

No, I think this shows that the Rapids FO was never going to shell out the money for a DP. We have the stingiest FO, so it was really doubtful that we would ever use our DP slot. At least we're getting someone of value for it.

I just wish it was a straight up DP slot for Gomez swap, instead of DP slot + 1st round pick for Gomez.

Posted by: A Rapids Fan | February 8, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

its times like these that i am happy i support DCU.

what well run organization

Posted by: bribri | February 8, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC United Fan | February 8, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

If DCU signs a DP (using Colorado's DP slot) in two years does the DP slot revert back to Colorado the next year??

Posted by: Rocko | February 8, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Uh, before we draft in the first round next year can we please check to make sure the kid we select doesn't have an overseas deal in his pocket?

Posted by: Hedbal | February 8, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

hedbal: since this will be our first high pick in years, there are more options. If dcu actually uses the dp slot and gets a decent player...wow.

Posted by: northzax | February 8, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Interesting. I like this a lot. The most interesting thing is that I don't think Emilio is going to be back next year. He'll end up going for a few million and that money will be applied to some high profile DP. Kudos to the FO.

Goff, is the rumor that we get to use the DP slot for 1 year? 2? or 3 years?

Posted by: strago | February 8, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

hedbal most likely the kid would be signed by a GA addidas contract (like Arguez)...that'd be my guess.

Posted by: strago | February 8, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Is there a reason you said DC traded for the "option" to use their DP slot instead of just trading for the DP slot? Does this mean Colorado can use it next year if DC hasnt exercised their option yet, or am I reading too much into your word choice?

Posted by: dwbpnm | February 8, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

this is I know off topic, but i will be in D.C this month staying close to the capitol. Is there a major sporting goods store or soccer shop in the vicinity that sells MLS gear?

Posted by: SR | February 8, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

"As a fan of neither team, I think this shows how inept Colorado's front office is. The guy is out of contract, and DC doesn't want him. They help the upper hand since without them, DC gets nothing for him leaving! Kudos to DC for getting max value for him though."

Yep, once again Clavijo and the Rapids Fo gets abused in a trade. See Mathis for Cunningham, Kirovski for a first round pick, and Ballouchy for Beckerman for previous examples.

I'm very much in the minority of Rapids fans on this trade though, most of us believe that since we weren't going to use it trading the DP slot for Gomez was a good move. I disagree.

Posted by: Jason | February 8, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

While Gomez was out of contract, that did not mean that DC had no leverage. Their leverage was Gomez' rights. They probably told Colorado -- truthfully -- that they would keep Gomez out of MLS rather than settle for a draft pick and cash (consideration that is fairly useless). They needed actual value -- an MLS regular or the DP slot. If they couldn't get it, fine. But DC knew that there was at least a chance that the Rapids would cave. And that chance represented more value to DC than a draft pick and cash (or allocation money).

Posted by: mjk | February 8, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Great trade for DCU - gives them flexibility if they:
1. want to acquire a DP forward to replace Moreno or Emilio (if he sold) or even reward Emilio should be have another huge season.
2. want to get additional consideration (players, allocation $, draft picks) from Colorado should the Rapids want to use the DP and DCU does not plan to use it.
3. ship the DP slot to another team for similar considerations

My guess is that DCU would use the DP slot for someone like Shevchenko.

Posted by: Zman | February 8, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Wow that was expensive for Colorado. Good job to DCU for extracting so much value for Gomez.

Posted by: Eugene | February 8, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

In terms of leverage, it's worth pointing out that Colorado was allegedly not the only team interested in Gomez. DCU could certainly have pitted different teams against each other in this scenerio.

Posted by: Phil | February 8, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

After the Chivas USA and Red Bull trade a few years ago for a DP spot I never thought any team would make a trade like this again.

Colorado your stupid.

Posted by: CD | February 8, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

I guess I'm stupid also.

correction:
"you're"

Posted by: CD | February 8, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, folks, can we please be realistic? Shevchenko isn't coming to the US for at least 2-3 more years. Lord knows his future isn't at Chelski (not with Drogba, Anelka, Kalou, and even Pizarro playing ahead of him in Grant's lineups), but anyone who thinks he can't pick up at least one more big payday from a mid-table high-Euro league club with at worst UEFA Cup aspirations is kidding themselves. What do you think clubs like Blackburn or Everton would pay him to make runs at the Champions League? It would certainly be out of MLS' universe. As for talk about his American wife, reports from England to Wikipedia seem to indicate she's just as happy in Europe as she would be here.

Frankly, if we can't hold on to Emilio, I would rather take a run at poaching Juan Carlos Cacho or Daniel Luduena from the Mexican leagues. Both are young, polished scorers and such a move would not only help us, but potentially weaken future cup opponents. Then again, that's just MHO, YMMV.

Posted by: Throwin | February 8, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: A Rapids Fan | February 8, 2008 04:37 PM

------------------------------------------

What difference does it make ... you drafted a 2nd rounder in the 1st anyway this year.

Posted by: MLS Fan | February 8, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Sweet Mama Ding-Dongs, that's a good deal...

So is Colorado trying to do the soccer version of "Moneyball" by being frugal with the players it gets?

Posted by: Juan-John | February 8, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

A sweet deal for DC, given that Gomez wasn't coming back. Nicely done. Of course, the Rapids weren't likely to get much use out of the DP slot, so not a bad deal for them, all things considered.

Speaking of not getting use out of the DP slot: Shevchenko or Henry? Dream on. Either one might agree to play in New York in a couple of years, but not before the 2010 Cup -- they have to stay in top form, against top competition. I seriously doubt either would sign with MLS before then. As for coming to DC, I guess it's not completely out of the question, but I think DC needs to set its sights somewhat lower.....Henry digs America, but I think he digs New York more. Sheva? Might be more flexible, but I bet he'd be more interested in New York or Chicago, where he might find a Ukrainian community. Or not....

Posted by: Fisch Fry | February 8, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

I officially take back every reservation I have ever had about Gallardo.

In looking at the total deal - advantage DC Utd. Well done.

Hope we can use the DP slot at the right time (aquisition/trade) for someone profitable.

Posted by: PotomacBoater | February 8, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Palermo!

Posted by: Garret | February 8, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fisch Fry | February 8, 2008 07:06 PM
------------------------------------------

One would find a lot of Ukrainians in and around Toronto, too. (Philadelphia, too, if that city joins the party.) However, I wonder how much he and his American model wife would have in common with the average person from an inner-city ethnic blue-collar enclave.

Posted by: 22201 | February 8, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

SR:
I wish to help you but I have not seen any MLS gear shops around DC metro area. I do see a shop that has Soccer/Lacross near Tysons Corner but I've never been inside. There is one shop at Union Station but all they have is baseball and handball gears except one Beckham shirt. MLS gear is even harder than diging gold or diamond in
DC!

Posted by: td | February 8, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

If possible, I would rather see United trade the slot for some promising younger prospects(guys like Holden,Clark,and maybe Dane Richards,though I hate to see TFKAM get another DP)I see very little use for another DP, because two years down the road, you would have to make a decision on whether you want to keep Gallardo or the other DP.

With many DP's, comes great responsibility.

Posted by: United fury | February 8, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

SR:

If it's DC United gear you're after, call United's merchandise manager, Nathan, at 202-587-5428.

He can tell you what he has, can take your order and ship it to you via parcel service very quickly.

He's a gem to deal with.

Posted by: seahawkdad | February 8, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Enter Shevchenko

Posted by: Jose | February 8, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

It's a pretty good bet that by then more DPs will be permitted, so that DCU could have two of its own, even after this DP slot reverts to Colorado.

Posted by: 22201 | February 8, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Sorry rapids fan, the deal is poor any way you want to cut it. Basically you gave another team assets for the rights to sign a free agent.

The way to "beat" the salary cap in MLS is to gather things like allocation money and DP slots. This is what's allowing some teams to sign more players than others.

So basically you've signed Gomez, but if you had simply brought in an equivalent free agent you could of had the same thing and kept your DP slot.

Posted by: alex | February 8, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Nice of the Rapids to provide an endowed chair for Sheva.

The Fernando Clavijo Memorial Chair of Comparative of Strikership?

Posted by: Max J. | February 8, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

SR:

There's a pretty good (albeit small) soccer shop in Kensington, MD:

Hard to get there without a car, but they do have a surprising collection of local and international jerseys and the like. DCU, Freedom, etc.

Good luck!

Posted by: rke | February 8, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

ANOTHER DP, that great, this year keeps getting better and better.

Posted by: yo its me | February 8, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

"I definitely see a move for Shevchenko or eveb Thierry Henry in the summer now that we have 2nd DP. Both players have stated their desire to play in the US. This is a huge acquisition for us. Now, this is assuming that we end up selling Emilio, but maybe we should make him the 2nd DP.

Posted by: DC United Fan | February 8, 2008 04:52 PM "

Allow me to correct you a bit:
Henry said he wanted to play in LA or NY. SO basically he would play for RBNY, Chivas USA or Galaxy. He didn't just say 'MLS' he was pretty specific.

re Sheva: it has been stated numerous times by Roman that they aren't selling Sheva unless they get at least half of that monster transfer fee back. No MLS is paying that. He is a few years away at least.
Also, if he wanted to go to a city with a Ukranian population, it would be Chicago. There are only about 20K Ukrainians in the US (not joking, the population is really that small) and about 14K of them live in Chicago in, drum roll please, Ukrainian Village, most of the rest are in LA and NY.
However, given those numbers, I dout that playing for Ukranians would be a large motivating factor.

Posted by: papa bear | February 8, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I think both teams did well in this deal. I'm pretty sure Christian Gomez will be the best player to have ever played for the Colorado Rapids.

Posted by: diego r. | February 8, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Throwin | February 8, 2008
06:42 PM

_______________________________________

If you want to talk about poaching good talent in Mexico' i'd go for Chile's el Chupete Suazo! That guy would be mean for us up front!

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | February 8, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

I don't see Sheva coming to MLS for a few years, but I don't know why everyone assumes if he did come to MLS he'd prefer to go to either NY or LA.

My sister in-law went to school with her here in DC @ Georgetown Visitation and she said last time she heard about her was through a mutual friend of theirs who had mentioned that she would love for her kids to grow up here and be close to family. That was a few years ago so who knows, but back then she still had family in the area and remember that they did get married here.

If he ever does come to MLS I'm sure the wife would love it to be DC.

Posted by: LJ | February 8, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

39 days to the first home match!

Posted by: Curious | February 8, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

SR: If you're in town on March 18th just go to United's home game that evening. Bet there will be plenty of merchandie on sale.

Posted by: Curious | February 8, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Sat. 8/23/2008 at RFK, Gomez needs a big standing O when lineups are introduced. the guy brought us a championship, an MVP, three years of outstanding play, and now an extra DP slot.

Posted by: jeremy | February 8, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

SR -
If you can make it down to Gallery Place/Chinatown (where the Verizon Center is located - relatively close to Cap Hill) there is a City Sports store. They sell a few DC United jerseys, t-shirts, hats, etc. as well as the Beckham jersey. Or at least they did the last time I was in there before Christmas.

NP

Posted by: napoleondynamite | February 9, 2008 12:58 AM | Report abuse

Unless the wheels completely fall off for Emilio this season we should use this DP slot to pay the man and keep him here. Assuming he wants to stay.

No way should we sell him (unless the offer is ridiculous) and bring in a big name striker, even if the likes of Schevchenko or Henry were available.

What are they going to do? The best case scenario would be a 20 goal season. We already get that from Emilio. Meanwhile there's a huge risk in importing new players into a side, you never know if they'll gel or not. There's no guarantee, no matter what name's on the jersey.

Besides, any player that would come here is going to have major question marks: poor form, age... something to make it a bad move if keeping a relatively young and in-form sniper like Emilio is an option.

Posted by: uranderson | February 9, 2008 1:50 AM | Report abuse

Whatever you do, avoid Dick's Sporting Goods. All they have is row after row of Beckham jerseys. Not a single DC U Jersey to be found---ever!

Posted by: stupid sports stores | February 9, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Goff-

Have you heard how much FC Dallas received for Gbandi?

Posted by: gilbert | February 9, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

FSC reported this morning that Bobby Convey did not return to England/Reading for injury treatment? I didn't hear the whole story. Does anyone have more information? He did not look good on the left side on Wednesday vs. Mexico.

Posted by: sbg | February 9, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Man, I am watching Bundesliga side Leverkusen v. Hamburg and fliping to Premiership side Everton v. Reading and it is so much fun to watch German league . They are much more intertaining than EPL side. All the talks that EPL is the best league is complete talk talk. Except big four clubs in the EPL are fun to watch but pretty much entire league in Bundesliga is very entertaining compare to the rest of the EPL.

Posted by: td | February 9, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Stop talking about the DP and let's just do it already!

Posted by: The Hedgehog | February 9, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I know I'll get flamed for this but bringing Ryan Giggs or Clarance Seedorf would be good buys. I know they both are old but they still have a lot of quality to play here.

Posted by: Red Devil | February 9, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Bobby looked like he was jet-lagged and maybe had one too many free cocktails on the flight over from England.

Even if his offensive game is off, he typically brings energy and pace for 90 minutes. He had none of that against MExico.

Hopefully he's ok on the injury front.

Posted by: delantero | February 9, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps DCU will replace the departing Argentine with another more well known Argentine that played with Gallardo on the national team...

Posted by: CavFan | February 9, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for the help guys. I do hope to catch a DC United game if the schedule works out. I will be out there in April and May.

Posted by: SR | February 9, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

SR, also check out Rockville Soccer, which is not terribly far from the Twinbrook Metro stop along the red line. But the team merchandise contact mentioned above is very valuable.

Posted by: Section 304 | February 10, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse