Got Tickets?

Tickets are now on sale for the El Salvador-Anguilla World Cup qualifier March 26, which will be played at Estadio RFK because Anguilla could not offer a FIFA-approved pitch. On the surface, there is some appeal to a neutral-site qualifier being played in our own backyard. But let's try to imagine the exchange between a ticket representative and a potential ticket buyer.

Rep: Hi, I was wondering if you'd be interesting in buying tickets to a World Cup qualifier at RFK Stadium?
Fan: By golly, would I?! The USSF is having a U.S. qualifier in D.C.?
Rep: Well, no, it's El Salvador.
Fan: Oh, okay, that might be fun. Who are they playing?
Rep: Anguilla.
Fan: Arugula?
Rep: No, Anguilla, the Caribbean island.
Fan: Cool. Who won the first leg?
Rep: El Salvador.
Fan: What was the score?
Rep: That's not important, is it?
Fan: Well, yeah...
Rep: Er, 12-0.
Fan: 2-0? So Anguilla has a chance?
Rep: Um, 12-0.
Fan:
Rep: Hello?

Okay, enough snarkiness. (Although, if you want to see the video from that first leg, click here.) We know Salvadoran fans, of which there are many in the D.C. area, will turn out. And perhaps supporters of the new USL2 club, Real Maryland, which has two Salvadoran national team players, Ronald Cerritos and Denis Alas, will be there. Anyone from Insider Nation planning to attend?

Let's see what else we have this morning.....

*American Michael Bradley is scoring goals at a historic pace for a midfielder in the Dutch league. Check out this chart, which was published before he scored again over the weekend. Of course, he is well behind Rafael van der Vaart in other ways, as well.

*2010 World Cup matches on artificial turf. Really?

*Giovanni Trapattoni from Red Bull -- Salzburg, that is -- to Ireland. Really??

*Red Bull -- New York, that is -- is looking at Diego Serna. Really???

By Steve Goff  |  February 12, 2008; 8:38 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Who's a Keeper?
Next: United, Wizards Tie

Comments

Serna back at NYRB! hahaha. I hope they confiscate his passport so he doesn't sneak off to Colombia whenever possible. He takes MLS as seriously as most Washington Times football columnists.

Congrats to little Bradley. Those are some pretty big names he is sitting with. After three years with PSV Eindhoven in Holland Beasley only had what, 10 goals?

Will they pay us to go to the El Salvador game?

Posted by: Southeasterner | February 12, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Serna to NYRB. What could be more perfect?

I might go to the El Salvador/Anguilla match, just to get a taste of qualifier atmosphere without being nervous all the time as I am during US qualifiers. Could be a lot of fun.

Posted by: Matt Mathai | February 12, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I have a good friend who's been coming with me to United games since 1996; he's an ex-pat of El Salvador, and I'll be happy to take him to RFK to see this match.

Though I'll not be buying tickets in the Meazzanine...

Posted by: Stevan in Gaithersburg | February 12, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't go to that game for free.

Posted by: HulkHogan | February 12, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Can't say as I like seeing Flipper back in MLS, but if he's going to be anywhere, NYRB makes the most sense.

Consolidate the hate... ;-)

Posted by: Stevan in Gaithersburg | February 12, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Serna? The last time I remember seeing him was when he was getting high/lowed by Harkes and Aunger in front of the Barra. hee hee...

Posted by: Chico | February 12, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Serna is even uglier than I remembered. Wow.

"If he doesn't find at least one central defender it "could be a long season," for the Red Bulls as one observer put it."

Got to love quotes like that about the New York team. Maybe they could send one of their DP's to us for McTavish.

Posted by: DCUinCT | February 12, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

sounds like ol' Sepp must own stock in an artificial turf company, or else he's just getting a kick back. Those things get foot-burningly hot during warm, sunny weather. That would seem to make them a terrible fit for a hot climate like most of Africa. The technology has advanced a lot, but it's still not as good as real grass.

Posted by: Glenn | February 12, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

Have you heard the names of the "Bigger" clubs that are looking at Bradley this summer? Does MLS have a sell-on clause with Heerenveen.

Posted by: UVA-United | February 12, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

in that list of attractive wives of footballers Tomas Rosicky looks alarmingly similar to oliver khan.

Posted by: bribri | February 12, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

el salvador game in RFK, I'm there.

(Who won't go to to a world cup qualifer for free?????? futbol not your sport then)

Posted by: yo its me | February 12, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Metro has the sell on clause when they transfered him to Holland, which is now RB's. So whatever is made 2/3 of the sell on fee should end up with NY the other 1/3 to MLS.

Posted by: NY | February 12, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

IM THERE!!!!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | February 12, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Woo! I hope a German club snaps up Bradley like the Germans did with van der Vaart and Van Bommel (via Barcelona). A number of Bundesliga clubs could lose their midfielders this summer (vdV and Diego, for starters).

Posted by: Juliet | February 12, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

All right, here is something I can vote for (unlike Crush/Siren/Jerry last week): Janelle Khouri should have won.

My second vote of the day.

Posted by: gringo | February 12, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

do you think bradley (dad) will ever learn how to use bradley (son)? or is it simply playing for a team with more chemistry and getting lucky on many, many occasions?

Posted by: smith | February 12, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I am so going to buy an Anguilla jersey!!
Its a shame they didn't get an away goal to make the second leg more interesting. :-)

Posted by: Rocko | February 12, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

In one of his MLS seasons (98 or 99), Serna ranked in the top 5 of both fouls suffered and fouls committed. What a gem.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 12, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: smith | February 12, 2008 10:26 AM

Good question. I think it's a matter of freedom to go forward. Dutch teams attack. The fans wouldn't have it any other way. They'd whistle them off the park if they didn't. Bradley's teams, in comparison, bunker. Only Cheatin' Bob can stop his son.

Posted by: Oranje | February 12, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bribri | February 12, 2008 09:45 AM
==================
Both #2 and #10 women are named Radka Kocurov. Do you think Rosicky and Kahn will appear on Trading Spouses?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 12, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Today's poll:

Monica or Venus.

As for Bradley, I think he's eliminated all doubt that he can play. I just hope he stays healthy.

Posted by: Joe Doc | February 12, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I heard Angola is going to replace Anguilla just to give them a fighting chance. If I come across free tickets, I'll go. But yeah, this won't be much of a match with El Sal most likely using 8 defenders.

Posted by: Greifie | February 12, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or is Sepp Blatter the biggest freaking tool in the sport? I vote we remove him, forcefully if needed.

Posted by: gilbert | February 12, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Glenn, good point on Sepp's financial incentives and the venal nature of futbol officials the world over. Sad state of affairs.

That being said, the turf these days is not terrible bad. However, for professional futbol, let alone the bleepin World Cup, it should not even enter the discussion.

Dismay.

Posted by: Matte | February 12, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

So does El Salvador use this game to cap tie anyone prospect with a potential claim to another national team?

Get some 14 year old US-born player with Salvadoran parents out there or something?

Posted by: Matt | February 12, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Forgot to ask: hey Curious, what's the count?!

Posted by: Joe Doc | February 12, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

To be Devil's Advocate on Sepp and his turf initiative for the World Cup - it will be nothing short of a MIRACLE if that tournament actually takes place in South Africa in 2010. He's trying to manage the expectations when officials are installing the turf the day before the matches start because stadiums are just being finished, crime is still rampant, and the country's expenditure for WC2010 sinks their financial future. I prefer grass - but you had to see this coming.

And, right now, MLS may want to hope that Sepp and Platini are successful in keeping the E in EPL. While it won't take dollars away from MLS in terms of what they have at present - it likely would retard growth as people continue to believe that Sunderland vs Wigan is a better game than DC vs Houston.

Posted by: UVA-United | February 12, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

There is some good company on that list. i hope he keeps it up

Posted by: Pino | February 12, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Dema? Osorio is unhappy with the play of Dema Kovalenko? Can we get back our beloved Dema?

Posted by: Gol de Dema Dema Dema Dema Dema Kovalenko | February 12, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Goff and others;
Egypt seems to do really well in the African nation's cup but never does much in the world cup. What's up with that? Are they good at fixing matches when the world isn't paying attention?

Posted by: Hacksaw | February 12, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Serna.....

Tell me again why NY has a team? Are they trying to suck?

Posted by: Hoost | February 12, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

RE: Today's Poll

Venus Williams over Monica Seles,
but
Monica Geller over Venus Flytrap.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 12, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

As for Michael Bradley, the question has to be this:

Is Bob Bradley not deploying Michael to good advantage, do the US team's tactics not suit his play, or does he benefit from having a certain caliber of player around him which is not available on the U.S. team?

I can't see any other possibilities...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | February 12, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

in that big apple soccer picture, it looks like Dema is trying to step on Diego Serna's ankle. and Juan Carlos Osorio is unhappy with his level of play? seems about normal to me

Posted by: diego r. | February 12, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Any word on the DC v KC scrimmage?

Posted by: Chico | February 12, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Just for that, I'm going to buy an Anguilla jersey and start singing "God Save the Queen" in my very own RFK.

By the way, RAFAEL VAN DER VAART (of my beloved HOLLAND team) is soooooo much better than Michael Bradley in more ways than those listed!!!!

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | February 12, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps the difference with M. Bradley's play on the National team isn't due to his father's stratigies or his National teammates. Instead, maybe its the caliber and strategies of his opponents. I'm fairly certain that the Mexican national team is better than most (if not all) of the club teams in Holland.

That's just a guess.

Posted by: TCompton | February 12, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Good one Steve!

Here's what happened when the ticket rep called a Salvadoran...

Fan: Will cerveza be made available?

Rep: Yes

Fan: I'll take 60

Posted by: Kev | February 12, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Fan: Can I use this as an excuse to get hammered on a Sunday?

Rep: Sure

Fan: I'll take 60

Posted by: again | February 12, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Who is responsible for renting out RFK for this occasion? Is it the Anguillan federation as the "hosts," CONCACAF, or someone else? Is the District letting them have the place for a nominal fee, or are the organizers assuming a significant financial risk? Did anyone check out the possibility of using smaller venues, such as Soccerplex or the stadiums on the GMU or Maryland campuses, or are they not up to CONCACAF or FIFA standards? Indeed, why come this far north at all, when there are other venues that are closer to both Anguilla and El Salvador?

Posted by: 22201 | February 12, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

NY signing Serna would be like if we had signed Gascoigne.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | February 12, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff,

About that little skit of yours, well, at least the writer's strike is over. Keep your day job, you are much better at it. ;>)

Posted by: Falc | February 12, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Serna represented everything that was wrong with the early years of MLS. Do you remember that MLS actually used to run an ad called "Acting 101" or some such about guys taking artful dives? For all the dives he took (and he took a ton), Serna never graduated from that class.

He also regularly dissed the fans at RFK. For both those reasons - disrespecting the sport and the fans - he is perhaps the only MLS player I have ever hated. (Not to say I am opposed to dropping the boos on other guys). I hope he does not come back.

Posted by: regular fan | February 12, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

[ Not all latinos drink "cerveza". Look at England. Joke is not funny. I'm from el salvador and I don't drink "cerveza". ]

Here's what happened when the ticket rep called a Salvadoran...
Fan: Will cerveza be made available?
Rep: Yes
Fan: I'll take 60

Posted by: Kev | February 12, 2008 12:21 PM
Fan: Can I use this as an excuse to get hammered on a Sunday?
Rep: Sure
Fan: I'll take 60

Posted by: yo its me | February 12, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

If you were Anguilla, a small island of a population of around 8,000. Which stadium do you think would make more revenue? GMU or RFK???

Posted by: 22201 | February 12, 2008 02:21 PM

Posted by: yo its me | February 12, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 22201 | February 12, 2008 02:21 PM

I'm guessing that the ES federation suggested RFK to Anguilla when CONCACAF ruled that the match had to be played on a neutral ground. Anguilla would get a nice payday from the gate here, which will probably not be as small as you think. DC or LA are good options for ES to play the match in front of large portions of their diaspora and thus make money for both countries.

Posted by: Kev | February 12, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I think ES benefits from playing in RFK in terms of fan support, but in terms of money, I think Anguilla benefits more because RFK would be considered their "home game" thus having most of the money from them. I thought I read a report from Goff that Anguilla would get most of the money at the gate? Either way everyone benefits.

Hope RFK continues to host many other world cup qualifing games from other contries.

I know it will be nice to have an European Qualifer at RFK.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 12, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I had forgotten about the size of the Salvadoran community here. I guess that for them it would be the equivalent of homecoming weekend on an American university campus, the centerpiece whereof is usually an otherwise meaningless pointyball game against a hopelessly overmatched opponent. And I guess the Anguillans have nothing left to play for, except for the opportunity to transfer funds from expat Salvadoran pockets to Anguillan pockets.

Posted by: 22201 | February 12, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

WHO CARES about this game...zzzzzzz

Posted by: bobf | February 12, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

As a Salvadorean American, of course I'm going to go. Besides, the way the ES National Team has been playing, this may be the only time we see it win. Up next is Panama.

Sad, but true.