Island Qualifying Underway

While Super Bowl fever gripped America (and little else of the planet), CONCACAF World Cup qualifying commenced yesterday with Bermuda settling for a 1-1 tie at home against the Cayman Islands. Several other first-round series will begin this week.

Read about the Revs' Khano Smith, who is recuperating from surgery and missed the match; how the game unfolded; and the reaction from Bermuda Coach Keith Tucker (the former longtime boss at Howard University).

Speaking of Howard, an update on the current coach's troubles.

By Steve Goff  |  February 4, 2008; 10:56 AM ET
Categories:  World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Going to Agogo
Next: Guardado Is Out

Comments

super bowl weekend should be a 3 day holiday here in the good ol' us of a

at least for us college students

Posted by: 24060 | February 4, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I am not a football fan. I did tune in due to lack of anything else to watch last night. I think it was 10-14 with a few minutes left. It seemed like an eternity of commercials had just finished. They had a kickoff and then it went back to another eternity of commercials. A few minutes of playing time took over 30 minutes. Instead of all commercials why don't they have more commentary between plays?

Posted by: Andy Rooney | February 4, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

"Instead of all commercials why don't they have more commentary between plays?"

YOu're kidding, right? $$$$$$$$$$$

Posted by: Skippy | February 4, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

To Goff's point, kind of an interesting Financial Times article by Simon Kuper on why (American) football hasn't caught on globally like soccer and basketball. See link below (unfortunately you need a subscription to read the whole thing. (Despite being a Revs fan and posting under "New England Guy", I'm a Jets fan, so yesterday was a lose-lose proposition for me, though I'm glad the Pats lost.)

Posted by: New England Guy | February 4, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

re; Super Bowl fever gripped America (and little else of the planet)

Listening last week to the BBC, I heard many discussions about the Super Bowl. I've heard similar discussions reach almost feverish pitch in past years.

For whatever reason, the Super Bowl is a big deal in England, even to many Brits who do not normally follow American football. 80,000 people did show up in October to watch the Dolphin and the Giants chew up Wembley Stadium's field. Steve Coppell, Reading's manager admitted to being a Patriots' fan (although he used to be a Raiders' because he liked their uniforms).

Posted by: ho | February 4, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

It might be a big deal in England because the game is designed to be watched on tv. The Dolphins Giants game probably drew well because of the novelty factor, Wembley had just opened and alot of ex-pats attended. If they only knew how watching an NFL game live is like watching paint dry, they'd never attend. And I say that as a football fan. I'd rather go to a college football game anyday of the week over the NFL.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | February 4, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I was shocked this morning when my Argentine boss here in Buenos Aires asked me if I saw the game yesterday. I thought he was confused and meant River's win over Boca on Saturday....

Posted by: Lost in BA | February 4, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

NFL football is more popular globally than most soccer fans will ever give it credit for. Sure it isn't 100% mainstream or even close to being on the level of soccer or basketball (baseball for that matter) internationally but it does have a solid base similar to how soccer was in the US pre-MLS and early days of MLS.

I don't understand why so many soccer fans feel so necessary to not want NFL to succeed globally. Kind of pathetic if you ask me.

Posted by: NFL is more popular than you'd think | February 4, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Most brits commented on G v D game how boring it was and that they came to see naked g...s
NFL dreams to reach globle but it never will because there is already much more exciting Rugby besides world football.

Posted by: td | February 4, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

In my eyes football is as popular as getting my wisdom teeth removed. Call that pathetic as much as you want. If I wanted to talk about football I would got to football.com

Posted by: DC SOCCEr | February 4, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

As for the Cayman Islands somehow tying Bermuda, the article says the return leg is in the Caymans. I thought they had to play it elsewhere because they didn't have an adequate stadium?

Posted by: RK | February 4, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

After the two tough friendlies that Coach Tucker and Bermuda had with Puerto Rico about 3 weeks ago, I would have expected a better result. Especially after having seen about half the squad playing for the USL2 Bermuda Hogges. The pressure is going to be on now. I hope that they can bounce back.

Posted by: yankiboy | February 4, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ho | February 4, 2008 11:42 AM
uhhh...that would be because there is a large number of ex-pats and the BBC has rights to broadcast the radio edition of the Super Bowl and Sky Sports does television.
Posted by: NFL is more popular than you'd think | February 4, 2008 01:15 PM
I am an NFL fan. If it succeeds globally great. I think it's better than Rugby honestly.
However, it's not nearly that popular. They int'l viewership numbers the NFL releases are the number of homes available not home many people actually watched. If MLS did their ratings like that they could have said the SuperLiga was seen by 300 million people since Telefutura is everywhere in the US. A tad dishonest, no?
The fact is, the bulk of the overseas viewership is curiosity, expats and the large military contingent. The only countries where the game is mildly popular with the natives is Germany and Holland. (again, there are so many Germans who have been born with 'Ami' daddies that it probably just carried over.

Posted by: papa bear | February 4, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse