Meantime, in Dallas, er, Frisco

I'm hearing that relations between Ecuadoran forward Roberto Mina and FC Dallas are strained and he might not end up with the Hoops, after all.

Let's rewind for a moment: The sides agreed in principle to a deal last month and Mina arrived at training camp. Dallas wanted to take a closer look and monitor his fitness before finalizing the contract. But the process has dragged on and Mina, who played for Dallas last night, apparently wants to go elsewhere. The buzz is that two clubs overseas, as well as two MLS teams, are interested in his services, though his preference is to remain in America. (My hunch is that Colorado, which just today traded forward Nicolas Hernandez to Columbus, is one of the suitors and would love to have Mina as a target for recently acquired Christian Gomez.)

Mina made $80,000 in MLS last season, but because he was on loan, his total earnings were probably doubled. It's not unusual for foreign players in MLS to have two sources of income -- one public, one private. Take Guillermo Barros Schelotto, for example. He was on the books in Columbus for $150,000, but my understanding is that he made $350K last year and will collect more than $500,000 this season.

Anyway, we digress.

Dallas appears close to signing Chilean forward Reinaldo Navia, so let's keep an eye on this Mina situation and see whether his rights are traded or he leaves MLS altogether.

By Steve Goff  |  February 27, 2008; 2:20 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Crew Move
Next: DCU's Brazilian Trialist

Comments

Any idea how these split compensation deals are accounted for under a team's cap? Is Schelotto's full $500,000 applied to the Crew's cap?

Posted by: Mickey | February 27, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

i can understand that the loaning club may be paying some of the bill for players in MLS on loan, but who exactly is paying the other $200K for Barros Schelotto?

Posted by: jeremy | February 27, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff, could you explain the whole money situation with Guille? I remember hearing that he was making the amount you stated of 500k a year compared to 150k on the books, how does this happen? How do they make the rest of that money? Where is the money coming from? Sponsorships or something?

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | February 27, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Goff,
your friends at SI seem to have failed to give you credit. Currently the third post down

I assume you were joking about the box of Cheerios... I though it was captain crunch, but they seem to convey it as hard fact.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 27, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Much like Pirates, Major Corporations, High Net Worth Individuals, and criminals - I imagine that MLS is only booking a proportion of any guys (read - not Americans) salary on their books. The salary cap is more of a guideline (re: LA Galaxy).

CBA negotiations will be the most exciting off-field development this year.

Living Wage Minimums
"Salary Cap" Increases
Extension of DP Rule
Publication of MLS' books by MLSPU

The other thing that would be very interesting to know about MLS is some of the clauses in the contracts - Sell on fees, bonus clauses, incentives, etc, etc.

Posted by: Offshore Shell Company | February 27, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I love that the box of Cheerios for Quaranta is being picked up by other media!

Classic!

Posted by: GoldenChild | February 27, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

"Washington Post" is credited at the bottom of their item -- no worries.

Wish I could explain more about the salary issues (Schelotto, Mina, etc), but don't have any other information.

Posted by: Goff | February 27, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

That is very interesting about mina and schletto. That's what I always wondered about the "salary cap"-who would know if the crew, for examplke, deposited 100k in some account in argentina.

What I will always remember about mina is that he supplied ruiz with the ruiz that ruiz bicycled in on perkins.

Posted by: yes, cheating | February 27, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

----
Sounds like a Hillary line. Liking capitalism much?

I'm not a subscriber to the feeling that playing in MLS is a privelege. Living wage? I agree that the wage for rookies is terribly low, but all the more incentive to work hard and demonstrate your value. Players can always do what Clarence Goodson and Troy Perkins did -- head overseas for more money.

Indeed, Perkins is the perfect model. He played for United, and worked part-time elsewhere. Some would call this embarrassing. I say it was stimulus for Perkins to work hard so he didn't have to carry two jobs. Now he's in his mid-20s earning six figures. That's how the system ought to work.

Posted by: Joe Doc | February 27, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yes, cheating | February 27, 2008 04:24 PM
------

Jakers! Talk about your loophole. I'm not suggesting that ANY team in MLS is doing/has done this, but...Goff, are you aware of any mechanism in the twisted world of MLS rules that would identify this kind of activity? Talk about circumventing the cap.

I suppose Mina got tired of being the emergency second chioce. To be honest, the guy is quality and all, and I could see how he could add value to another MLS team, but he really did not light up the world for FC Dallas last year. I mean without a Ruiz, Dallas is going to need someone who can really step it up if they are going to seriously contend out in the West next year and Mina just does not look the part.

Posted by: Kosh | February 27, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Joe Doc,

Excellent points - and no one, especially in America, should get a handout and hard work and dedication should be the ultimate rewards.

However, MLS and it's clubs as a business need to raise the comp at both ends of the spectrum. The bottom should be enough so that players under 24 don't have to choose between a day job/Scandanavia and here. There are some players (Pat Noonan) who go for pure monetary reasons and there are players that go for the prestige/opportunity. The second group isn't going to be retained - but for guys that would like to stick around MLS and make a living - they should have the ability to focus on their training/fitness/skills rather than underwriting sub-prime mortgages (sorry - it was too easy).

It's a tough call either way. But, and it's only my opinion, if the league is going to add 2 more teams in the next three years it's going to need the financial ability to keep some guys here rather than seeing them depart for a way to pay the bills.

Posted by: Living Wage | February 27, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

MLS = Mysterious League of Soccer

;-)

Posted by: Goff | February 27, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Kosh,

Mina hasn't played in a meaningful game for Dallas since 2006. He's blown out his knee two years in a row.

Posted by: ryan | February 27, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

ryan is correct. Judging Mina on last year, other than noting that his risk for re-injuring his knee is high, is unreasonable.

For those that remember him before his injury problems, Mina is quite the player. Fast, powerfully-built, aggressive, a useful finisher, and he has a strong leap. Not only that, but he can also play on the left wing in a pinch. He's got 6 caps for Ecuador, and is still only 23. The kid can play. I'd go so far as to say that the only clubs in MLS he wouldn't start at are us, NY, and Chivas (and for us, he'd give Moreno a hell of a run for his money). If he's healthy, someone is going to get a big boost up front.

You'd think Houston would be in the market. Even if the new guy Caraccio works out, they'll still need more depth. Wondolowski is a good guy to have at 4th on the depth chart, but any higher (especially with Ching's injury history and national team call-ups) and they'll struggle for goals. If I was Dominic Kinnear, I'd be trying to make a deal right now.

As for Navia, is it safe to assume he'd be a DP for Dallas? He still starts for Chile and scored at a 1 goal per 2 game ratio in Mexico over 6 years (180 apps., 90 goals, at least according to Wikipedia). That would be a big move for Dallas, who I would imagine would then try to move one out of Thompson, Oduro, or Ricardinho for further defensive reinforcements.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | February 27, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

@Posted by: Joe Doc | February 27, 2008 04:30 PM
letting the market decide? Are you a madman? :p

Seriously, I think the guys are underpaid on both ends, but I think the exodus of players for 4th division clubs potentially dilluding the product is going to 'force' the owners to pony up more.

Listen, if you owned a club, would you not pay as little as humanly possible while remaining competitive? I know I wouldn't toss an extra million or 50 if I didn't have to. They could probably keep the salaries at this level for another 10 years if they wanted to, but I can guarantee that the league quality would drop and their product would be devalued.

You can call these guys 'greedy bastards' and whatever else, but ultimately they are smart; you generally don't make billions being a moron. They know they need a quality product that people want but they also know they won't be able to stay in business if they over pay for it.

We can grouse about it all we want, but until there are season ticket waiting lists at every club and sell outs for nearly every game, they simply aren't going to be shelling out a million a year for every first team player. It's incumbent on us as much as them to spread the word to help the league grow. It's how every other league grew in this country and MLS will be no different.

Posted by: papa bear | February 27, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Mina has lost all credibility in Dallas with what happened with him last year and the "knee injury"... Dallas diagnosis him w/ torn meniscus and Mina's people decided he needed to go to South America for a 2nd opinion.

What happens? Mysteriously a torn meniscus turns into a completely torn ACL and a full replacement. Ending his season.

FCD's doctors and front office were stunned because there was ZERO evidence that there was any ACL damage, much less a complete tear.

And then Mina proceeded to get super fat.

Mina has much to prove with everyone in Dallas. If he ends up elsewhere, "buyer beware".

Posted by: Capt Fantastic | February 28, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

"Take Guillermo Barros Schelotto, for example. He was on the books in Columbus for $150,000, but my understanding is that he made $350K last year and will collect more than $500,000 this season."

Huh? Makes Little Sense.

I'd love to know what percentage of hard-core, DCU fans get extremely annoyed by the loose rules in the league. Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy following the league less when I read these things....

Posted by: jj | February 28, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

@ Papa Bear: am I a madman? Quite possibly. Such is the burden of brilliance.
(Somewhere my wife just cracked up laughing without knowing why).

I think you, me and Living Wage (one man's living wage is another's poverty line) agree on one thing: we don't want price controls. I agree the owners need to pony up more cash for salaries, or else. And it's the "or else" that will get them to do it, not some Orwellian scheme that will cause current, and new, owners to re-think their MLS investment.

Posted by: Joe Doc | February 28, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

WHERE IS THERE A LIST OF PLAYERS IN THE WAIVER DRAFT ON MARCH 4TH? AND WHEN DOES DC UNITED PICK

Posted by: INTERESTED | February 28, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse