Missing Links

We'll start the day with plenty of reading material and hopefully be able to offer some news later.....

*Read my profile of new DCU goalkeeper Jose Carvallo.

*Oscar de la Hoya joins MLS.

*Australia's bid for the 2018 World Cup faces immense challenges, not least of which involve rugby and Australian rules football.

*Another Iraqi regime change.

*Does the Pan-Pacific tournament have a future?

*Everton 2, Man City 0 (hurry up and watch it before the video gods block access!!):

By Steve Goff  |  February 26, 2008; 9:25 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS-USSF Updates
Next: Olympic Outlook [updated]

Comments

Rumors out of Toronto have Ronnie O'Brien headed to San Jose .... you hear anything?

Posted by: MLS Fan | February 26, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

The Pan-Pacific wasn't a real tournament -- it was an excuse to sell David Beckham. At least the Carolina Challenge Cup is what it is -- exhibitions to get teams ready for the season. And it is in a great town and venue...

Posted by: RK | February 26, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

What was the card for in the Everton - Man City game? I don't have sound on my PC here, so maybe I missed something in the commentary. But it didn't even look like a foul to me. Strange.

Posted by: Matte | February 26, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

BTW, brilliant restart. The keeper did amazing work to recognize the danger and make a sensational save.

Posted by: Matte | February 26, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juan-John | February 26, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

We never had the same issues with the WC here as the NFL is out of season...

If the AFL as embedded in the culture as it is, I don't think they should worry...the main issue is economic loss (who is going to make it up to the owners who lose prime dates in the middle of the season?)

Posted by: frank | February 26, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Steve, any update on Niell's injury?

Posted by: Chico | February 26, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

De La Hoya buying into the Dynamo is a good thing. He's got ca$h and a high profile. The club have some great fans and are builiding a hip "urban" credibility that many of the other MLS clubs don't have. I think that Oscar's image is a good blend of "urban" and corporate. The fact that they already can get 30K into their current stadium in what is perceived to be a rough part of town is really impressive.

I think that this might be their "DP signing". Better than one. The exposure, the publicity. I have to give them credit. They have really rebounded from the whole 1836 debacle. They have survived and thrived. This move to bring in the Golden Boy will probably prove to be another really good move.

Posted by: yankiboy | February 26, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

"As Goalies Go, He's a Keeper"

Whoever wrote this headline must be punished. The double-entendre is waaaay to obvious.

Good article though.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 26, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

That was a tremendous hit off that dead ball. Great awareness from both sides.

The de la Hoya investment sounds like it will be another strong building block for MLS. I would imagine the fresh ownership will want to quickly stamp their work on the club and it will be interesting to see what that turns out to be.

Posted by: Chris | February 26, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Great piece on Carvallo, Mr. Goff. Loved the insight on how Kasper and Co. review tapes. For a small fee, I'd be happy to help United go through them all. Who do I call?

Thanks for staying on top of it all, Steve.

"Duty is heavier than a mountain, death is lighter than a feather."

Posted by: Joe Doc | February 26, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

The LA Galaxy are continuing to demostrate their business model is not to win championships, but to showcase David Beckham around the world.

If I was Alexi Lalas I would have taken the Galaxy to some remote place where the team and coach could bond and learn each other's strengths and weaknesses before facing any type of opponents.

But, if the Galaxy's success is driven by the number of eyes that see David Beckham in a Galaxy Jersey, then I suppose they're doing a pretty decent job.

Posted by: TCompton | February 26, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Way off topic, but it's distressing that US National Team Light (AKA Fulham) can't steer clear of the relegation zone. Can't mount an effective attack. Can't keep the ball out of their own net. Troubling. Do you think McBride will make a positive or negative impact coming back for the balance of this season? Do you think Johnson will find success? Do you think Dempsey will see more time in the midfield with Johnson and McBride on the roster and healthy? And what's up with Boca?

Posted by: Matte | February 26, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

""*Does the Pan-Pacific tournament have a future?""

But the marketing campaign via MLS.net called it "the most important soccer event of the year"!!

Posted by: delantero | February 26, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

WorldSoccerDaily Shop shows 08/09 Kit with stripes.

Someone call their blasphemy.

Posted by: Kit Manager | February 26, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

"If I was Alexi Lalas I would have taken the Galaxy to some remote place where the team and coach could bond and learn each other's strengths and weaknesses before facing any type of opponents"

Like a remote French estate far from the lights of Paris? Alexi's been there, done that, failed miserably.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 26, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

"If I was Alexi Lalas I would . . . "

That's the beginning of a good contest.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 26, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

""Alexi's been there, done that, failed miserably.""

Well, I have nothing but laughter at Lalas' history of foibles but Stevie-O Sampson had a little something to do with benching the goatteed one in frogville.

Posted by: d | February 26, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

"If I was Alexi Lalas I would . . . "

Play a red afro and a goattee into a marginal playing career but eventually attain successively higher management positions for which I am entirely unqualified. I will then take clubs into even worse shape than I found them.

Posted by: chiba | February 26, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

"If I WERE Alexi Lalas..."

Sorry, one or two times I can let it go, but 3+ is just too much :)

Posted by: RK | February 26, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

If I was Alexi Lalas I would . . . "

HIRE KELVIN SAMPSON, THE FORMER INDIANA BASKETBALL COACH

Posted by: Josh | February 26, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

(Apologies to Sheldon Harnick and Jerry Bock)

If I were Alexi,
Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.
All day long I'd biddy biddy bum.
If I were Alexi Lalas.

Oh hush. You knew it was coming

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 26, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Ladies and Gentleman Alexi Lalas and his band Ginger:

The band is no longer together. To all the critics out there you can't say every decision he made is bad. At least one time he made the right one and got out of the music biz.

Posted by: CD | February 26, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

If I were Steven Goff I'd

Get a new post up quick before this trainwreck of a post gets out of hand...wait, I mean MORE out of hand.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 26, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

GOLTV has learned that Ronnie O'Brien has been traded the San Jose Earthquakes. O'Brien played 13 games last season for Toronto FC picking up four assists in a season filled with injuries. Mo Johnston would not comment on the trade at training today saying O'Brien is still under contract, but that is all he would say. O'Brien was not in training and it has been confirmed he has said goodbye to his team-mates. It was no secret O'Brien was not a fan of field turf and probably thinks his career is better suited on grass with Frank Yallop's expansion side.

Posted by: TFC Fan | February 26, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I'll take credit for the last post, forgot to put my name in.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | February 26, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

If I was Alexi Lalas

oh wait I am.

hahahhhahahahhahahaha

Posted by: Alexi Lalas | February 26, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

A little disappointed to lear n that United did not acquire rights to Carvallo. If he's as good as his resume, I'd like to see the team make a push to keep him -- though it seems like he's being groomed for bigger and better things...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | February 26, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

"O'Brien was not in training and it has been confirmed he has said goodbye to his team-mates."

That's Cute.

Posted by: CD | February 26, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Hey don't make fun of me for my teary-eyed good-byes to my teammates.

Posted by: O'Brien | February 26, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know the time/method for the Dynamo ownership announcement today? I don't see anything about it on mlsnet.com.

Posted by: GoldenChild | February 26, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

"One wonders whether the Revs would have more silverware if they traveled to countries with a slightly higher soccer development level, higher at least than Bermuda..."

you mean someplace like...Mexico, where the Revs will be going next week to play some top-level teams?

Posted by: Will | February 26, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

If I were Alexi Lalas...

I would probably not be reading comment threads on soccer blogs, and if I did, I would be laughing out loud at the ire of all the wannabe GMs while I get paid in full to actually _be_ a GM.

Posted by: edgeonyou | February 26, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

WorldSoccerDaily Shop shows 08/09 Kit with stripes.

Someone call their blasphemy.

Posted by: Kit Manager | February 26, 2008 10:52 AM

I would call leaving the stripes out blasphemy.

Posted by: Red Devil | February 26, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Matte | February 26, 2008 09:56 AM
----------------------------------------

The ball's away and the dude takes a sneaky swipe cleats up at the back of the other player's calf. It didn't really look like it connected, but obviously it did 'cause the recipient immediately puts his arms up and looks to the ref for a call.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 26, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Matte | February 26, 2008 09:56 AM

I saw this game and before he hit out at Osman, he made a wild challenge at Yakubu, the guy lost his head in frustration and deserved to be sent off.

Posted by: Red Devil | February 26, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Go L.A. Galaxy.

Posted by: Alexi Lalas | February 26, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, for the first time in Insider history, I'm shutting down the comments. Thanks to the 6-year-olds who ruined it for everyone today (their posts have been deleted). Back later with a new thread. Maybe.

Posted by: Goff | February 26, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse