MLS-USSF Updates

*Final paperwork at the league office is apparently preventing New England from formally announcing the signing of Costa Rican forward Argenis Fernandez. Rest assured, the deal is done. ... Still awaiting word on Kansas City's negotiations with Argentine forward Claudio Lopez, which reached the late stages over the weekend. ... D.C. United is preparing its roster for next week's tournament in San Antonio and might drop some trialists before the club embarks Friday afternoon. We're hoping to learn more in the next couple days.

*No U.S. men's Olympic qualifying roster today. Perhaps tomorrow. One or two slots need to be sorted out. Training camp opens this weekend in Bradenton, Fla., though some European-based players will not arrive until closer to the tournament opener March 11 and, from what I understand, a few might not be available until the semifinals, if at all.

*Eduardo is on the slow road to recovery.

By Steve Goff  |  February 25, 2008; 3:56 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: CONCACAF News and Thoughts for Alan Kelly
Next: Missing Links

Comments

What do y'all think?

Posted by: Nic | February 25, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

First?

Posted by: Fisch Fry | February 25, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

What date roster's have to be finalized by? Can DC United enter the CCC with more players than they'll be allowed for the MLS season?

Posted by: TCompton | February 25, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Darn you, Nic!!!

Posted by: Fisch Fry | February 25, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

Speaking of paperwork issues, has DCU received all the necessary clearances, visas, etc., for all our new foreign players?

Thanks!

Posted by: apqjr | February 25, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

"Tickets to the tournament outside of San Antonio are 35$. Does that seem excessive to anyone else?"

It seems normal for a venue to wring money out of fans who get few chances to see MLS matches. If I were a DC fan living in San Antonio, I'd pay the $35. If I had no allegiances, I wouldn't.

Lucky for you LA is not in the tourney. Tickets would be $75.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 25, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Sooo. the schedule for fox sports coverage of the CCC says the home leg for DCU will be played at RFK. I'd like to assume that info is accurate. I know what they say about assumptions though.. I'd like to ask my mother for permission to go to the game but I think it has to be in DC for her to let me go...

Posted by: Dadryan | February 25, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Without any baseball conflicts, RFK is available for all Champions' Cup matches.

Posted by: Goff | February 25, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Oy, Goff, how'd you get shanghaied into this...?

I mean, it's a good article and all, but was Tom Boswell busy today or something (the other baseball writers being in Viera, FL, for Spring Training)?

Posted by: Juan-John | February 25, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Just wondering why the lead story on United's web page has been switched from the 2/16 story on Kirk to the 2/15 story on Popular Point? Seems like a regression.

By the way, how is Kirk doing?

Posted by: Curious | February 25, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edgeonyou | February 25, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Cut the "First" crap. We don't need to emulate the comments on PerezHilton.com

Posted by: Garret | February 25, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

the "first" comments make me shart in my pants.

Posted by: Kevin Millar | February 25, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Perez Hilton???

Posted by: Anonymous | February 25, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

You clearly have no future in tabloid journalism. The Carvallo mom interview must be done! Think of all those check out aisles at Giant!

And there you sit, respecting a player's wish. Unspeakable integrity!

I'll have none of it!

Posted by: delantero | February 25, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

I hope Kansas City gets Claudio Lopez!

Tom

Posted by: KC Soccer | February 26, 2008 3:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Really? | February 26, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

By the way, how is Kirk doing?

Posted by: Curious | February 25, 2008 09:16 PM

Khhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannn!

Posted by: Joe Doc | February 26, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Juan-John, do you make all your decisions on what assignments to take at work?? Goff's boss told him to help on a story and he did. You think MLS and US Soccer is improatnat enough to have a guy focus on taht and nothing else??

Posted by: CEO | February 26, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

all this talk about "over-the-hill" designated players is kind of frustrating. Claudio Lopez? I really think the league should be considering younger talents in some of the smaller european leagues and possibly in asia. I got this idea from a Center Holds It blog entry, http://centerholdsit.wordpress.com/2008/02/24/is-bare-worth-dp-money/
It certainly brings up an interesting idea.

Posted by: bill | February 26, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

"Tickets to the tournament outside of San Antonio are 35$. Does that seem excessive to anyone else? I'm not sure if I want to spend so much money watching trialists...

What do y'all think?"

A couple things. The ticket is a double-header, so two matches for $35 is not that bad. Also, most of the money goes to charity (San Antonio Metropolitan Youth Soccer Institute, Grassroot Soccer, Footballers For Peace & Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City Independent School District), so again, not that bad.

Just my thoughts on it.

Posted by: Mike H | February 26, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I hope Martin Taylor -the guy that shattered Eduardo's leg- gets a hefty #*$ fine and suspension. That was an uncalled for tackle and according to a ESPNSoccernet report, could have led to Eduardo's leg being lost. Shame on Taylor, and shame on Brimingham and the FA for not acting on it (even if the guy was "sorry" after the tackle).

At any rate, Vamos Vamos United!

Posted by: Rob | February 26, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Under the cap by $1 Million? Wow.

Posted by: Really? | February 26, 2008 08:50 AM
==========================================

Also with regard to that NYT article, Jack Bell states that Olympic men's football is a 23-and-under affair (apart from three slots set aside for older players). I thought it was an under-23 event. To a 23-year-old, it makes all the difference in the world.

Posted by: tri-village | February 26, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse