Morning Kickaround

*USA-England? At Wembley on May 28? It is possible. We told you last week that Sunil Gulati and Co. were hoping to set up a friendly on that date in Europe a few days before the test at Spain, and this is apparently their top choice. Gulati declined comment last night. There is also a strong possibility of a June 8 match -- one week before the USA's first World Cup qualifier -- against a top five team, which we believe is Argentina. The site will be the northeast U.S., but I do not think Washington is under consideration. Realistically, that leaves Philadelphia and the New York-New Jersey area. (Foxborough is probably out because the Revs have a home game that day.)

*D.C. United will wrap up a two-week stay at Bradenton with a scrimmage against Kansas City tomorrow morning. New Argentine D Gonzalo Peralta has left camp for "personal reasons" and will return on an unspecified date. MF-D Jeff Carroll has returned home early to have a toe injury examined. Rookies Dan Stratford, Brandon Owens and James Thorpe have returned to school to finish classwork and will report back to the team later in training camp.

*The Charleston Battery is going green.

*A women's soccer documentary is released in Berlin.

Real Madrid 7, Valladolid 0:

By Steve Goff  |  February 11, 2008; 8:49 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Egypt Celebrates
Next: D.C. United Updates

Comments

Goff,

I watched part of the Madridistas dominant performance yesterday. Most of the match, it appeared the other team wasn't even trying. Great article on the Battery using solar energy at their field. I can see visions of stray shots past the goal hitting those panels....

Posted by: toddinho | February 11, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Re-Peralta leaving...

Is he heading back to Argentina? And if so, could there be issues with him returning quickly? Our D needs all the time in the world to gel after the big shakeup.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | February 11, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

US v England?

Let's feed them some humble pie.

I mean how many times can you play Poland and Mexico?

Posted by: Whigs and Tories oh my | February 11, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Or disappointed that Clint Mathies scored right away in his first game in Greece?

Posted by: Should I be glad? | February 11, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Mctavish is a good player. We need center backs like him and Peralta aka "THOR" for depth and to compete for the starting jobs.

Let's hope it's not homesickness and he'll be back.

Posted by: three little birds by my doorstep | February 11, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Why not a double header at The Razor?
Its been done before - here in DC for example.
Would do wonders for the Revs' home attendance numbers.

Posted by: marksman | February 11, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Solar panels behind the goal? I sure hope that someone thought to put a large net or something in front of them. I imagine it wouldn't be cheap to fix a panel shattered by a wayward shot on goal.

Posted by: Not cheap to repair | February 11, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

USA v England yes that is a good move and yes a better move for Gulati against Argentina plan. Hell, I travel to New York or New Jersey if the disgrace DC authorities can't manage to get a game here to lift its profile.

Posted by: td | February 11, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Its about time that the USSF has scheduled some serious competition abroad. These games can only help prepare the US play against the best teams in the world in hostile environments. It should be very interesting if the US can results against both England and Spainn. By the way, do you know if the US-Spain game will be played at the Bernabau? That would be awesome. Vamos USA!!!

Posted by: DC United Fan | February 11, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Steve, what's United's schedule after tomorrows scrimmage? Do they head back here before going out west?

Posted by: Chico | February 11, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Great start for Mathis, but isn't this vintage Clint -- a bright start followed by disinterested underachievement concluding with full-blown animosity with the coaching staff?

Posted by: Postmaster | February 11, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I like our friendly schedule anymore - let's hope that it really does offer the growing opportunities for the USMNT. We really need to grow some more defenders - specifically marking backs.

Posted by: UVA-United | February 11, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

36 days to the first home match!

Posted by: Curious | February 11, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Perlata may be having serious second thoughts about playing in MLS with DC. Argentine players are notoriously known for pulling this type of stunt and then trying to get out of their contract. Be careful.

Posted by: red | February 11, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Any video of that 12-0 drubbing El Salvador (I think) did of Anguilla last week during WC qualifying?

Posted by: Juan-John | February 11, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

All Charleston players will be required to wear personal electrical generators on their knees (couldn't find the photo on the website):

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 11, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: red | February 11, 2008 10:44 AM

Name some names. Who has "notoriously" done this in MLS?

Posted by: Well, you know everything... | February 11, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

hey Goff,

Why is Foxboro out for this northeast USA match on June 8th? I've been to several USA matches there and every one of them has been part of a Revolution double header (with the exception of last summer's Gold Cup tripleheader).

Posted by: andrew | February 11, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I call BS on that "Argentine Players" rant. Besides tar and feathering an entire nation of soccer players it's just flat out wrong. I would agree that players in South America where paychecks have been known to be few and far between sometimes push players to the brink. But to generalize like that is just inane.

Posted by: Chico | February 11, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Off topic.

I know that DCU's designs were a different group, but why does Rossetti get to design practically EVERY stadium for MLS? HDC, Toyota, RSL, Philly, Red Bull Park.

Posted by: UVA-United | February 11, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

Ditto for what Andrew said. If anything, New England is a front-runner for the supposed USA-Argentina match. I've been to plenty of Revs-USMNT doubleheaders so I don't see why we would be counted out.

Address this please!

Posted by: Christopher | February 11, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

If we play England that would be great, a good test for us. Put that together with games against Spain and Poland and finally we are starting to see some good challenges on the road.

Posted by: Joel | February 11, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't there a very good french player that signed a contract with the rapids, left shortly there after, within a couple of weeks....

Posted by: toddinho | February 11, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

No, it wasn't a very good French player, it was Gilles Grimandi.

Posted by: Kim | February 11, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Of course a USA-ARG friendly could be a doubleheader at Foxborough. My hunch is that they want it as a single game and, if that's the case, Foxborough is already in use. Maybe they'll prove me wrong and stage a doubleheader, thus providing another artificial attendance figure for an MLS game that otherwise would draw 14,000.

Posted by: Goff | February 11, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Of course, that documentary brings to mind last year's superb comedy Offside, which is presumably available on video by now.

The article refers to "an empowered all-female crowd." That is a contradiction in terms. One is not truly empowered until one is free to associate with whomever one jolly well pleases.

Posted by: 22201 | February 11, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

"Charleston Battery" would now have two meanings...

Posted by: ff | February 11, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Hi Mr. Goff,

Best blog in MLS, thanks.

What have you heard about Jay Needham trialing at LA Galaxy? My understanding is that DC holds his rights, what do you think the asking price would be if Jay and LA work out a contract that makes him happy?

Posted by: Mike from LA | February 11, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

would Argentina agree to play on the fieldturf at Foxboro? or NJ for that matter? Or would they install real grass for the match?

Posted by: Glenn | February 11, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Great Real Madrid video - and yes, the other team appears to be soccer's version of the Washington Generals - but where were the ARs? RM players were clearly off-sides for the first and I believe last goals (but I'm no expert, so please clear this up for me if I'm wrong)...

Posted by: Rob Iola | February 11, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Goff:

Wouldn't the artificial turf alone rule Foxboro out? Why would any national team with a sense of pride want to play on that surface? If memory serves correctly the last Nat team game at Foxborro occured when the field was actually grass. I would apply the same rational to NJ for not be selected.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 11, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I hope all is well with Gonzalo Peralta. Hurry back.

Posted by: boda united | February 11, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: UVA-United | February 11, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

"RM players were clearly off-sides for the first and I believe last goals (but I'm no expert, so please clear this up for me if I'm wrong)..."

RM might have been offside on the first goal (it was close), but it was earlier in the play before the video picks up. Robinho is very offside for the final pass, but as the ball went to Baptista and not him, it was legal (that part of it at least).

The last goal looked good to me. I think Drenthe was behind the centerback, though in front of his man.

Posted by: Tim | February 11, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

They've been putting natural grass down for big games, and this would be one of them so I once again wouldn't count Foxboro out because of natural grass. Just last summer we had Gold Cup games on natural grass.

And its tough to draw 14,000 out to Foxboro when there is no public transportation from any city...but I digress, a discussion for another time. Just figured I would go ahead and respond to the bit of sass you threw my weay.

Posted by: Christopher | February 11, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tim | February 11, 2008 01:30 PM

If I were reffing, I'd have called Offside, as I think that while Robinho didn't try to play the ball, he certainly was in the line of sight for the keeper and could have distracted him (or screened for Baptista), thus he's active.

But then again, I'm just a youth ref and not a pro.

Posted by: AR | February 11, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I like the idea of a USA-ENG friendly, particularly with Becks playing. Weren't the USA-Mexico and England-Switzerland the only two friendlies to sell out their respective stadiums?

Also, since such a game would be played outside of North America, would ESPN still have the rights to it, or would FSC/SKY Sports grab it? If the latter, one wonders whether the main U.S. Fox Sports channel would grab at the chance of airing a Beckham game (as long as it didn't interfere with NASCAR or baseball)...

Then again, I may just be blowing smoke out my @$$... :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | February 11, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

AR, I'd have to agree with your assesment of Robinho's position on that goal. I think anyone would have a hard time arguing that he didn't influence play.

Posted by: Matte | February 11, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------

They were by far the two largest crowds (out of about 40 international matches) on that day. Others may have sold out, but if they did, the stadiums in questions must have been smaller.

Posted by: 22201 | February 11, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Soccer America reports that none of the current and former Freedom players who trained with, or played for, the USWNT during Sundhage's first couple of months (Huffman, Krieger, Lohman, Weimer, Welsh) will be going to the Algarve Cup in Portugal next month.

Posted by: 22201 | February 11, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Just realized May 28 falls on a Wednesday, so I guess FSC or GolTV would have to carry it.

Now if Gulati could arrange a weekend fixture...

Posted by: Juan-John | February 11, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Clarification: The Soccer America report mentioned the players currently in camp from whom the Algarve Cup roster would be named. Since Krieger is currently in Europe, her omission from the list is not necessarily significant. She could be added later.

Posted by: 22201 | February 11, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Here's another story about female footballers, in this case of the Afghan variety:

Posted by: 22201 | February 11, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

You say, MF-D Jeff Carroll has returned home early to have a toe injury examined. Rookies Dan Stratford, Brandon Owens and James Thorpe have returned to school to finish classwork and will report back to the team later in training camp.

Is Grady Renfrow still working with the team?

Posted by: paul | February 11, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

US v Arg on June 8? Seems unlikely against their first team. Argentina plays Ecuador at home on June 14 or 15 in a WCQ, and then away at Brazil on June 17 or 18. Maybe their U-23 team, which just destroyed Guate in LA.

BTW - love the ridiculous comment by Red about notorious Argentine futbol players. He must me a Mexican fan. (For those not having a clue to what I am referring, please see the latest FMF "gentleman's agreement" not to due business with River because of Farias and his transfer fiasco.)

Posted by: Lost in BA | February 11, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

US v. England. not bad. I'm more excited about Argentina and Spain. I think those are much sterner tests for us. England is WAAAAY overrated. Like USMNT WC 2006 edition overrated.

I dunno, double header at Foxboro sounds like it's right up the leagues ally. They did it with the Gold Cup I can't see why a friendly vs. Argentina would be exempt.

All in all I'm excited with how the international calendar is looking next year.

Posted by: papa bear | February 12, 2008 7:43 AM | Report abuse