Morning Kickaround

*Martin Taylor shows remorse.
*The Guardian analyzes Spurs' victory.
*David Moyes's misunderstanding.
*David Beckham has got Seoul.
*Peter Nowak to unveil preliminary 24-man U.S. roster for Olympic qualifying today or tomorrow.

For those turning on their computer for the first time since 5 p.m. Friday, be sure to check out our weekend discussion threads as well.

More later.....

By Steve Goff  |  February 25, 2008; 8:16 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United-Earthquakes Friendly
Next: Santino on Trial

Comments

First!

Posted by: Section 130 | February 25, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I give Taylor credit for manning-up and visiting Eduardo in the hospital. That took courage, and I have a bit more respect for the man.

But that doesn't change my attitude toward cleats-up tackles. Much in the way the NFL has rules limiting certain types of tackles, FIFA ought to do the same with players going in cleats up. It will help keep The Beautiful Game beautiful.

As for diving... don't even get me started.

Posted by: Joe Doc | February 25, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Video of Eduardo has been removed from Youtube due to property of Arsenal FC....

Posted by: Keenan | February 25, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Keenan | February 25, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Hey Goff,
Hows it going? I love your blog.
Love,
BOB

Posted by: BOB | February 25, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I am well, how are you, "BOB"?

Posted by: Goff | February 25, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

"first"? what is this, the pointy-ball blog?

a healthy, motivated David Beckham is nothing but good for MLS. glad to see he's in form again.

Posted by: northzax | February 25, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

The WNT's path to the Olympics is supposed to be clarified today:

Posted by: tri-village | February 25, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Tri-Village,

Thanks for the reminder!

SG

Posted by: Goff | February 25, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Glory, Glory, Tottenham Hotspur!

Posted by: Anonymous | February 25, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

This was from the other day, but I didn't get a chance to respond and it's too good to pass up:

Nice job Kasper/Payne!!!

Posted by: delantero | February 24, 2008 06:48 PM
----------------------------------------------

James Bond, meet your new nemesis: Kasper Payne!

Posted by: edgeonyou | February 25, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

On studs-up tackles -- a red-card isn't enough. I propose a radically different approach to create a real deterrent. When an injury results, the guilty party should not be allowed the return, until the injured player does. It's that simple.

Why should the perpetrator get to return in the next game, or after a short suspension, if the victim cannot play? You can't really say a foul is worth a two-game or evn a five-game suspension. There is on way to measure that and mete out a just punishment in that way -- not when the foul has resulted in a serious injury. The only way to be fair is to measure the punishment by the yardstick of the injury caused.

I recall Ihemelu's vicious tackle that broke Domenic Mediate's leg. Ihemelu shouldn't have been allowed to resume his career until Mediate was able to do the same.

Not only would this make the punishment fit the crime, this is the only way to dissuade future incidents. The problem with these tackles is they can be so dangerous. If the tackler faces losing his own career for such reckless play, it will stop. The perpetrator will never face the same risk of injury, but this rule will force these reckless tacklers to face similar consequences in terms of their ability to play.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | February 25, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Interesting note to me in the Guardian piece, as to Paul Robinson. Wasn't so long ago that Robinson was England's no. 1. Now, the press is writing that Tottenham will be looking to upgrade at the position this summer. How fickle are fate's fortunes!

Based on reporting, Avram Grant and Bruce Arena might be the most ignorant successful coaches ever seen.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | February 25, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Why Grant left Joe Cole on the bench for so long is beyond me...and why the referee blew the extra time whistle as Kalou broke free of the defense is also beyond me. Regardless, I give Tottenham credit for playing a great game and pulling out the win.

Posted by: Sam | February 25, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fisch Fry | February 25, 2008 12:03 PM
_________________
I understand the premise you're proposing, but I'm not sure it would be entirely helpful, just or fair. Not that Taylor fits in this category, but what if he had just come in hard (instead of hard & studs up), without malice, and Eduardo's leg was broken anyway? What if he'd barely contacted the player, but the contact was enough to make him come down wrong-footed and tear his knee ligaments? These are but two examples of why the current system of review (as opposed to a more automatic system of dispensing punishment) is more fair.

Posted by: Not so fast, there | February 25, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Spurs and their fans. They were the better team on the day.

I thought Grant made some huge errors in his squad by starting Lampard and Wright-Phillips instead of Ballack and J. Cole.

Posted by: Red Devil | February 25, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Obviously, what I'm proposing is a penalty to be meted out by the governing league body, or even FIFA. This is post-game review. If the play was hard but fair -- not unreasonably dangerous, there would be no reason for suspensions of any kind. What I propose is instead of a announcing a suspension for X number of games, the suspension could be linked to the injury.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | February 25, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Fisch Fry: there are a billion reasons why your idea would never fly. I personally don't like it, but it's hard to penalize someone for a year because their form was poor on a tackle if it lacked malice.
I mean, these guys are playing for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Form does fail some people sometime. It sucks that people get injured sometimes but that's sports. I don't think there needs to be any draconian punishments dished out for pure accidents.
Next thing ya know we'll be lay off groundskeepers for 6 months when a players cleats get stuck and he blows a knee out (like McBride did earlier this season)

Posted by: papa bear | February 26, 2008 5:10 AM | Report abuse