Right of Way

As DCU supporters surely know by now, the baseball team that escaped Estadio RFK last fall (and, along the way, apparently added a few sketchy characters to its roster) says it plans to use RFK's Lot 8 as a parking and staging area for fans to be shuttled to the new stadium. For most of the Nats' 81 home games, this will not be a problem: park, hop on the bus, enjoy the 10-minute ride -- ha! -- on the access road out of Lot 8 and then onto the freeway for a seamless -- ha! -- cruise to the ballpark.

There are a few days, however, when the Nats are home and Lot 8 at RFK will be needed for, you know, an actual event at RFK. My understanding is that, on these rare occasions, Nats fans will have to park in Lot 7 on the far side of the RFK grounds and ride the shuttle to the new stadium via an alternate route. For congestion and safety reasons, the baseball shuttle will not be permitted to drive against the flow of traffic on the access road and enter the freeway.

Bottom line: DCU fans arriving via the freeway should not notice any changes to their normal match-day routine, nor will they have to alter their tailgating plans.

Again, this is my understanding of how things stand at the moment. Change is always possible in our city of baseball boondoggles.

By Steve Goff  |  February 28, 2008; 4:03 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Santino Apologizes
Next: Mina Signs....

Comments

Steve,

Thanks for addressing our fears of tailgating prohibitions and general Lot 8-withdrawal.

Mmmmm, smell those grills goin' now.... :)

Posted by: that's a relief...if that stands | February 28, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Um yeah, I think I can pinpoint when this is going to be a giant clusteryouknowwhat: June 29
Orioles@Nat game (starts at 1:35 pm). It's also the D.C. United-LA Galaxy game (a.k.a. The Beckham game) with kickoff at 12 noon.

K

Posted by: SEKim | February 28, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Did the Don have some work done in the last year? His smile and general appearance look bizarre.

Posted by: Dr. 90210 | February 28, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

::sigh::

will we ever get out from their shadow, hell, we need to win mls cup

Posted by: hokiesunited | February 28, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I've been studying MapQuest aerial maps of the stadium area, and for the life of me I can't figure out what other "back access road" Boswell could have been referring to.

Posted by: tri-village | February 28, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

hmmm, better bring my big flyswatter just in case.

Posted by: pests | February 28, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Still a problem since Lot 7 is overflow for Lot 8, which has happened to me many times. Why not put the hardball fans in Lot 6, since it doesn't matter how close they are to the Stadium?

Posted by: WNT fan | February 28, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I've got your "back access road", Trebek.

Posted by: Sean Connery | February 28, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

This is off-topic, but I just read somewhere that Andriy Shevcenko 9yes, THAT Andriy Shevcenko!!!) could be headed to DC THIS SUMMER!

So I just thought that was potentially exciting.

And yes, this sucks. The worst baseball team in the MLB has a higher priority than the best team all-time in the MLS. Shameful.

Posted by: rick | February 28, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I know this is off the subject, but I am not sure how many people will go back and read the comments about the Brazilian trialist, and I figured you would like to hear this, so I am posting it here.

My brother trained with Atletico Meneiro about three years ago. This is what you had to say about Cesar, "Yeah, I played with him. I kinda remember him being really full of himself too. He was physically really strong. That's weird seeing him again. He wasn't the best player they had, I would say he was in the middle."

Posted by: White Kix | February 28, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

==========================================

To visit his in-laws, perhaps?

Posted by: tri-village | February 28, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

White Kix, interesting about Cesar. Three years ago that young brazilian would be three years younger and more likely to have an unreasonably high perception of himself.

Lets hope that he uses DCU as an opportunity to show that his ego is not misplaced.

Posted by: bribri | February 28, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

White kix:
If he was good DCU couldn't pursue him to come try with us and the club wouldn't release him either. Either in the middle or poor player is the reason why MLS in general and United can bring such. Unfortunately that's the fortune we have in our face. Keep on dreaming for the quality players to come!

Posted by: td | February 28, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

You know, it's neither fair nor valid to refer to the Nationals as the "worst team in MLB," as they have not been in the entirety of their (albeit short) existence.

Love DCU, but doesn't mean we have to hate on the Nats. We were RFKin!

Posted by: Anonymous | February 28, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

nice use of the word 'boondoggles'!

Posted by: ahelms | February 28, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

RE: Worst MLB team v best MLS team. It doesn't matter. DC expects more revenue from baseball than soccer and DC needs the money. Haven't you read the news? CFO Natwar Gandhi (note to WP.com: insert hyperlink to Mahatma Gandhi) says that DC faces a $96M budget shortfall.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 28, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

While we were worrying about Lot 8, the expected stuff happened up in Chester, PA. Among other things, it was confirmed that the new team will take the pitch in 2010. Thus, in 2009 MLS will once more have an odd number of teams. How will they handle this, schedulewise?

Posted by: tri-village | February 28, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

That plan is great, except for those few times when I have gone to a game at RFK, arrived early and STILL had to park in Lot 7 due to turnout for the game. I wouold be very unhappy if that happened and I couldn;t find a place to park because Nats fans had the lots filled.

If then Nats can't find places for their fans to park, then that should be their problem , not mine.

Posted by: Dave | February 28, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to make an appearance soon - you just don't know it yet.

2009 = 15 teams = 28 matches on a Single Table

2010 = 16 teams = 30 matches on a Single Table.

Provided SuperLiga becomes the 4-7 spots on the table and CCL is 1-4, US Open Cup is still around, SudAmericana is a destination for someone and MLS buys 2 spots in Libertadores only teams in the 8-??? spots will be playing the minimum of 15 home games.

Posted by: Single Table | February 28, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff/anyone who knows,

Does this mean that if we wear Nats caps to the parkinglots we get to park for free?

Posted by: Glaucon | February 28, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I've got your "back access road", Trebek.

Posted by: Sean Connery | February 28, 2008 04:51 PM
===========================================

Hah! What is a leather glove?

Posted by: Stan | February 28, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 28, 2008 05:16 PM
=======================================

We here in Montgomery County laugh at your puny shortfall!

Posted by: $300-$400,000,000 short... | February 28, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

19 days to the first home match!

Posted by: Curious | February 28, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I've used lot 7 plenty of times when I came late. And the LA game? Fugghedaboudit. I find it another nail in the coffin that DC United fans will have to pay to use the lots around RFK but the Nats fans won't. I hope DC United quits DC. End of story.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | February 28, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Look on the bright side - This gives us an opportunity to harass the hell out of baseball fans:

"Your Sport Is Boring" clap clap clap clap clap clap

"Your Not Singing....your not singing...your not singing anymore"

And my personal favorite:

"STEROIDS.....STEROIDS....STEROIDS!"

Posted by: James | February 29, 2008 6:41 AM | Report abuse

Lot 7 gets a lot of runoff from Lot 8 when that fills up (quite often, I might add). This plan is as stupid as Mayor Fenty himself.

Posted by: Hoost | February 29, 2008 7:39 AM | Report abuse

I-270, Exit 1L: Worst MLB team v best MLS team.

I'm a huge United fan, in fact I'm a fan of every team in this city...but before you call the Nats the worst MLB team you should maybe know what you're talking about. They were far from the worst team...in fact they far surpassed everyone's expectations last season.

Posted by: Sam | February 29, 2008 7:57 AM | Report abuse

------
------

Even in attendance?

Posted by: Empty seats | February 29, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Sam: sure they exceeded expectations, but since this expectations were for perhaps the worst team ever in major league baseball, no biggie. I don't know why people are so worried, by June the stadium novelty will have worn off, and people won't be so happy about park and ride for a sub-par team.

Posted by: northzax | February 29, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Sam: I was referring to an earlier post, note the "RE:." And why didn't you take me to task for calling DC United the best MLS team when Houston won the MLS Cup? Be consistent in your criticism.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 29, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I don't know, I guess I don't really understand why people are pissed at the Nationals for this. I get being pissed. I really, really get that. But you guys are hating a team for something they can't control. Hate the ownership, even, but don't take it out on the team itself.

That's all. I just think the anger's misdirected.

Posted by: Atlanta | February 29, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rick | February 28, 2008 04:53 PM

Wow, I didn't know the Royals were moving to DC!

On a serious note, June 29 is indeed going to be a cluster-you-know-what of Epic Proportions. I plan to avoid complications by taking metro to Lot 8 at around 8:00 AM and enjoying an extended tailgate with my fellow supporters while listening to traffic reports on the radio and laughing heartily.

Posted by: EdTheRed | February 29, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I-270, Exit 1: I didn't say anything about United not being best because I try not to dog the teams I like a lot. Looking at the history of the MLS, I think United probably is the best team in the league.

And I have to agree with Atlanta, don't hate the Nats because their ownership and the city helped creat a giant cluster f with the parking deal. I think it sucks too, but it ain't the team's fault. They get out their and play their a$$es off just like every other team in this city.

Posted by: Sam | February 29, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I didn't know the Royals were moving to DC!
Posted by: EdTheRed | February 29, 2008 09:59 AM

Hey now! There are at least four or five of us in the world who are actual Royals fans! Be nice, we haven't had anything to be happy about since the strike year.

Anyway, although I see how the parking works when there is no DCU game, I still don't understand two things about the parking plan:
1) for any game DCU plays, how will a fee be charged? What if, as others have suggested, I wear a Nats hat and say I'm just there to catch the bus?
2) Seriously, what about 29 June? With another sellout, or even close to it, won't the lots be full enough with just DCU fans? is there a one-time plan for that date? Or is the DCSEC blissfully unaware?

Posted by: Rob | February 29, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse