Ronaldo: The End?

Brazilian superstar Ronaldo, the World Cup's all-time leading goal scorer, ruptured a tendon in his knee in a match with AC Milan today and will not return for at least nine months, if ever.

"I heard a horrible sound, like a bang, it was a strange sound," said Livorno goalkeeper Marco Amelia, who was close by when Ronaldo fell to the ground.

Here is Gazzetta dello Sport's coverage.

By Steve Goff  |  February 13, 2008; 6:51 PM ET
Categories:  World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rankings, Revs and Rapids
Next: Poplar Point Update

Comments

I hear Dallas may be having an open Dp soon . . .

Posted by: Glaucon | February 13, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

what does dallas have to do with ronaldo???

Posted by: Anonymous | February 13, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Dallas=bad DP signings
Ronaldo=bad DP singing
Therefore Dallas=Ronaldo

Posted by: E=mc2 | February 13, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

this is just sickening. Its so sad to see one play get injured so many times. Especially because Ronaldo is my favorite player ever, and the thing that really made me care about the game. He was at his peak in the 98 world cup, the first one I really remember watching seriously. I hope he can overcome this and maybe come to the MLS for the start of next season. I really think he was one of (if not THE) best to ever play the game.

Posted by: Gabe | February 13, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

It's amazing that the wiki entry has already been updated with the injury. The big guy has had some amazing goals over an impressive career with lots of good clubs. 97 caps with Brazil is downright incredible.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | February 13, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Great now he can come to MLS.

Posted by: doh! | February 13, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Thred from other post:

Big stadium news!

Posted by: J | February 13, 2008 07:41 PM
-------
I thought many would love to see this!

Posted by: td | February 13, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

34 days to the first home match!

Posted by: Curious | February 13, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Great stadium news -- if true. I'll believe it when some one other than Fenty says it. I'll take it seriously when the Council approves it.

Posted by: Curious | February 13, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Does Nakamura confirm this?

Posted by: 22201 | February 13, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Terrible news about Ronaldo. He may be on the decline, but it'd be sad if this is the end of his playing.

---------------
"Funds to pay for the soccer stadium bonds would come from taxes and revenue that already are being generated by the new baseball stadium, which opens in late March."

Finally, the Nats help out DCU (in a roundabout way) instead of bumping them down the priority list. Has anything this concrete been in the news before now in regards to Fenty porposing a stadium? This is very good news, if true.

Posted by: Taylor | February 13, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

no more zzz: the stadium news is for real. it's up to the city council now.

Posted by: poplar point | February 13, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Will Goff have some detail in tormorrow's print or is he confirming with the source for the stadium?

Posted by: td | February 13, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Right now no one but NBC4 has the story. I'm hoping to see someone confirm in the near future. If they're that close to a presser, you figure they'd, ya know, invite the press.

Posted by: Stan | February 13, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

A sad fate for a great goal scorer. Bad knee injuries happen to even the most fit players, but I wonder if Ronaldo's injury might have been prevented if he had kept himself in better shape.

Posted by: noptov52 | February 13, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Too bad for Ronaldo, it's easy to make fun of him the last couple years, but his true legacy is as the WC all time leading scorer. He's been at the top for so long it's hard to remember the guy is still just 31. Maybe it's a testament to how good he was that we still want more...

Posted by: eric | February 13, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I look forward to sitting on the bench next to former American international Claudio Reyna.

Posted by: Ronaldo | February 13, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Color me confused.

I seem to remember that United's original proposal for the development at Poplar Point was deemed inadequate, in part, because of the high cost of infrastructure improvements to the site.

Now, instead of the city providing hundreds of millions in such improvements and United (or MacFarlane) picking up the tab for the stadium, the Mayor is apparently proposing that the city issue bonds to cover the cost of the stadium, plus this little gem:

"In addition to the soccer stadium, the city is expected to spend about $240 million on street, sewage and other public works improvements on the land."

I'm not one who usually spends a lot of time examining the dental hygiene of horses gifted to me, but come on...

Posted by: DCUInWheaton | February 13, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: noptov52 | February 13, 2008 09:22 PM

It'll be a sad night for soccer fans if this proves to be the end of Ronaldo's career.

But even with the criticism he's received, some of it deserved for getting fat and being so injury-prone, at least he'd go out as the all-time leading scorer in the World Cup. Not bad.

(even if he does recover I'm not sure I want him coming to MLS....)

Chivas vs Santos starting on Telefutura right now. Osvaldo "Dirty" Sanchez goes back home in a different shirt with young New Mexican but Mexico-capped Edgar Castillo playing left fullback.

Posted by: garbaggio | February 13, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Some people will do anything to avoid playing for NJ RedBull :-)
.... and really who would blame them ...

Should we send Fenty a Valentine card?

Posted by: Lonnie | February 13, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Herr Goffinho! Any word on the stadium? Insider nation holds its breath and awaits your word...

Posted by: Bret | February 13, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow. This is a sad day for me, as i didnt mention this before when defending ronaldo, but he also was my fav. player growing up. All his tricks, his moves, his feints, were all stuff i looked up to. That one fateful day when he played for inter and that same pop sound happened, was one of the saddest days of my life, i knew things wouldnt be the same. And then on top of that he pushes himself too hard and gets out of PT and training to early, steps on the field, and then does it again!

This third time is the charm, he should be done for good. How sad. :( This is how he got fat too.

I didnt want to admit it before but yes, he is injury prone, i wanted to think he was over that but man, how terrible. :tear:

But on the stadium news! That is going to be great! Hopefully we will have a incredible team by that time, who will do awsome at our new stadium!

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | February 13, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Also i just read up a little on his injury and i believe this happened this time to his left knee, when it happened before to the right.

This just reminded me more of what my Physical therapist told me when i was rehabilitating myself after getting knee surgery, "god built you the same on both sides, and most likely your other knee may go out sooner or later"

This was her response after i complained about my other knee hurting similar to the one i got surgery on. :(

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | February 13, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

the stadium story is very puzzling indeed. Wasn't MacFarlane's plan, however, that in addition to the stadium he wanted to be the one who developed the project in order to make some money on his investment?

If the city owns the stadium how does that help us? Doesn't that just leave us with the same problems RFK does with respect to not getting the game day revenue?

Posted by: Glenn | February 13, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Hey Bolivian DC Fan:

Yeah, if you pop one knee you're gonna pop the other one... I blew out my right knee in 1991 (ACL tear), then did the same thing to the left one in 2004... when I had gotten fat and out of shape, by the way. So I'm not surprised that this future MLS DP did a job on both his knees, too.

Posted by: Modibo | February 13, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

What i want to know is what was it?

Was it his Patella Tendon that snapped? ACL, MCL? What was it?

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | February 13, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Glenn | February 13, 2008 10:42 PM

If DC United is at the press conference, I think you can rest your little head that everything with a team you don't own is OK.

Posted by: Vic & Co. | February 13, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Goff....

Do you have confirmation on the Stadium announcement?????

Posted by: Nick from Big Soccer | February 13, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

fwiw, WJLA7 also reported tonight that tomorrow Fenty will propose a stadium for DCU at Poplar Point.

Posted by: Rob | February 13, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Edgar Castillo just had an awesome dribbling sprint through the Chivas defense to beat Guadalajara's keeper with a low crossed shot and tie the score with about 10 minutes left.

Chivas dominated the whole game and could have scored a boatload of goals but Santos got 2 goals in 3 minutes to tie it up.

And as I type Omar Bravo scores off a backheel pass form a teammate to give Guadalajara the lead back. 3-2 with 5 minutes left...

Posted by: garbaggio | February 13, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Hey 'Nick from Big Soccer' - demanding updates from Goff followed by multiple question marks will not get you an answer any sooner. Take it easy. He isn't at your beck and call.

Posted by: DE | February 13, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

So, Ronaldo is popping his patellar tendons? Of ocurse, this can happen to anyobody. I believe this was what sidelined McBride last summer.

However, I might also speculate -- muscel tears and tendon weakness are common side-effects from steroids -- both anabolics and cortical. I'm not saying the guy was using anabolics, but maybe he'd been receiving cortisione injections to deal with inflammation in the joint? Or, maybe the dude was on steroids. I might also note that he claims to have a tyroid condition. Perhaps he's being treated with steroids and that accounts for the multitude of injuries he's suffered.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 14, 2008 2:04 AM | Report abuse

This is sad news indeed. Ronaldo will forever be my favorite player to step onto the pitch. I hope he can recover as he was beinning to show glimpses of his former self for Milan.

Posted by: Brava Rookie | February 14, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Ronaldo isn't finished. He'll sign with the Galaxy in a couple of years on a free transfer. The Gals are only interested in making money, and a pony show featuring Beckham and Ronaldo will sell a lot of jerseys and pack a lot of stadia in Canada and Australia for friendlies....

Posted by: Joseph D'Hippolito | February 15, 2008 12:53 AM | Report abuse