Santino Apologizes

Santino Quaranta poured his heart out today after training -- how he disappointed himself and the fans, how he has worked so hard to be get into shape, how he has wanted so desperately to prove himself again. I am saving most of the stuff for Friday's print edition story, but did want to share a few comments.

He said he has firm offers from other clubs in MLS, but wants to prove himself with United. GM Dave Kasper said a decision whether to offer him a contract would be made by the end of next week when the club's training camp in San Antonio wraps up. As for a salary, "He would have to start a lot lower, and we've talked about it," Kasper said of Quaranta, who made $105,000 last season. "He just wants the opportunity."

Among the issues Quaranta addressed was the incident (if we can call it that) late in the summer of 2006 when he returned to RFK for the first time after being traded to the Los Angeles Galaxy and, at one point in the match, made rather unfriendly gestures toward the DCU supporters. Many fans have not forgiven him. (You know who you are!)

"It was an emotional thing for me, that game, but those fans, that hurt me. I really owe them an apology. In all honesty, that's not the way I am. My state of mind I was in back then, it just showed where I was in my life. Little things like that, it was ridiculous, man. I am sorry about doing that, I regret that. I was emotional. They were getting on me a little bit too, but that's professional sports. I think about that a lot."

So is all forgiven, folks? What do you think of his comments?

While you think about it, a few other quick items to share:

*Former West Virginia teammates Dan Stratford and Pat Carroll said they have agreed to developmental contracts. Stratford, who grew up around London, said he's a big Arsenal supporter and used to attend matches with his uncle, who has season tickets. His father, however, is a Wolves fan. He was not sure why.

*Kasper confirmed that David Blumer, a 22-year-old forward for Grasshoppers in Switzerland, will begin a trial with the club in Texas. If United likes him, he would be available on loan.

By Steve Goff  |  February 28, 2008; 2:20 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DCU Update
Next: Right of Way

Comments

tino has other offers but wants to be with united? apology? i accept and welcome him if we give him the chance.

Posted by: antonio | February 28, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I for one take him at his word. It would be nice if he is hungry and us out to prove the skeptics wrong.

Posted by: steve-o | February 28, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I forgive you, Tino, but you're still sleeping on the couch. Stick a dagger in NY or the Gals and we're together forever.

Posted by: d, dc | February 28, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I definitely wasn't expecting that. I've forgiven. I'll wait for the Friday story before I consider forgetting.

Had anybody heard that Chester, PA is going to get a MLS team?

Posted by: sitruc | February 28, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I hope that his heart and head are in it this time. Tino has good ability and if he can stay healthy, I'm sure he will be productive.

Posted by: Tino Fan | February 28, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

forgiven. so long as he outshines lannycakes when they come, ill be more than happy

Posted by: Chris | February 28, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Time to put it to bed and move on. Lets get back to the job of supporting our team. Our WHOLE team.

Posted by: Chico | February 28, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Sign the kid. Grasshoppers are my team in Switzerland.

Posted by: Matt | February 28, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I agree with sitruc, that was a bit unexpected, but I think it goes to show you that there is a lot going on with the palyers/team that fans have no clue about. Further, if he really has firm offers within MLS but is here trying to play for DC and make things right personally and professionally then there's hope this might turn out all right for everybody.

Welcome back 'Tino.

Posted by: Looking Dangerous | February 28, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

tino,
dont worry about those geeks in the stands who never were able to make there high school team but are now experts in football get you down. I dont hold a grudge over crap like that, being emotional, that happens sometimes. Everyone needs to move on

Posted by: dorks | February 28, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Grasshoppers in Switzerland
-----
and people complain about MLS nicknames

Posted by: john | February 28, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

You know I could never stay mad at you tino...

Posted by: jgildea | February 28, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

He is still dead to me.

Until he returns the "gesture" to L.A. and/or RBNY fans.

Posted by: Rocko | February 28, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

"Santino Quaranta poured his heart out today after training"

Did you give him a hug afterwards? Is this one of his 12 steps?

Posted by: jgildea | February 28, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Apology accepted.

I just hope that someday Karma doesn't require me to apologize to all of the MLS refs I've, uh, "criticized" from the stands for lo these many years (they know who they are, but in case they don't, here's a list: Everyone But Esse).

Posted by: EdTheRed | February 28, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Dang, he reads Bigsoccer!!!

Posted by: voyager | February 28, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

We appreciate the fact that he's worked hard to get himself into shape, but the real question is, has it worked?
Does he look fit?

Posted by: jrnail23 | February 28, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Great news and info, Goff.

Well-done by Tino as well.

Looking forward to Friday's print story.

Posted by: Well-done | February 28, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I'll wait for tino to walk the walk.

dorks: why the backhanded remark about our ultras? it's what makes DCU games the best in MLS.

Posted by: johnR | February 28, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Does Santino look fit? Also, how is he looking in practice?

Posted by: RONANDO | February 28, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

does anyone know who is available in thee waiver draft next week

Posted by: interested | February 28, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Daring to disrespect the Almighty Immaculate Barra Brava is an unforgiveable sin, like genocide. Too bad Tino, doesn't matter how sincerely you apologize or how hard you're willing to work to play for DC instead of elsewhere in MLS. Unless, of course, you do the same classless act to other supporters - right Rocko?

Posted by: La Barra Blanca | February 28, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I hate to bring this up here, but... I was just reading today's column by a certain Metro section columnist. I know I really shouldn't do that, but I did anyway. He talks about all the parking woes of the new baseball stadium. And mentions that apparently the baseball team is still planning to offer their patrons free parking and shuttles from RFK. Has anyone figured out how that is going to work on nights when we have a game at RFK at the same time as the baseballers are playing? Do we get free parking too?

Posted by: Glenn | February 28, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

OK Goffer. Fess up. Was this apoolgy unsolicited? No lead ins, like, "you know Tino, a few BARRA members still think you are worse than notorious NBA punks that taunt fans -- you probably need to seek forgiveness before donning a DCU jersey."

Posted by: MR Caretaker | February 28, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Very strong and humble comments from a 23 year-old. I hope it gives him peace of mind so that he can focus on playing soccer.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 28, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I bought the paper today but as soon as realized there was no news for soccer I suddenly dumped it in the trash bin. So I didn't see the dead man's plan on the metro section.

Posted by: dead | February 28, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Forgiven. I love the fact hes here on trial when he has other offers.

Also, we could add a forward on loan...Interesting Goff. Any idea on his loan amount and how much cap room we would have to accomodate him?

Thanks Goff, you're the best.

Posted by: strago | February 28, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

As others have said, nothing says sorry like a couple of kegs at the next tailgate...

Posted by: Blondie | February 28, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Glenn | February 28, 2008 03:15 PM
==========================================

This came up in a previous thread, after it was mentioned by Boswell (Thomas, not Bobby) in Wednesday's sports pages. Boswell provided the additional detail that the Southeast Freeway access to Lot 8 may be declared baseball-only on such occasions.

Posted by: tri-village | February 28, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the apology Tino !! Eventhough u F..ked up we still have to support you a a part of our beloved DC UNITED! Then only thing I ask from u is that when you score against the Beckhams (assuming u make the team) u Come to us and celebrate with the peolpe who have supported u for so long and that hated you for a while too hehe!

Hey Dorks you are ^%#^$@#%^&$*&#&$&%#%@#$ (STAY CLASSY) TCompton advice

Posted by: 135 | February 28, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Why would you leave the Grasshoppers? How many people can say they've played for United? How many can say they played for the Grasshoppers?

Posted by: La Cabra | February 28, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

tino,

Posted by: dorks | February 28, 2008 02:48 PM

This post is B.S., Dorks. I am a 12 year D.C.U. season ticket holder and was at the game in question....while I had no idea that the gesture even occured, when I read about it in this Blog, I sympathized with the offended parties because my HEART lies with D.C. United and I DO get offended when anyone puts down me or my team. It is called PASSION. If you don't have it, stay off this blog and most importantly, stay away from R.F.K.

Santino, I have loved you from the beginning and will welcome you back to our team with open arms. Stay strong, my Brother and I hope to see you wearing the Black and Red soon.

Posted by: Smitty | February 28, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

--------
--------

Will United let the DCSEC get away with that idea?

Certainly more United fans/vehicles will want to access the RFK lots than Nats fans/vehicles will on shared game dates.

Posted by: Huh? | February 28, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Where are people reading that Simms is being beaten out by Stratford? I'm really intrigued by that idea ...

Posted by: Anonymous | February 28, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

It's good of Tino to bring it up and say what he did.

Posted by: Bootsy | February 28, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

That he wanted to be forgiven is all I needed to hear. Yep, he's welcome back. Now, for his own sake as well as for ours I hope he buckles down and lives up to that enormous potential.

Posted by: soccer nerd | February 28, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

free way to lot 8 where is this?

isnt lot 8 where the Barra Brava tailgate?

Posted by: need directions | February 28, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I will only forgive you if you:

1) make the team again
2) embarrass the tutu-wearing girly galaxy players...

followed by a vigorous apologizing session including all three: blood sweat and tears...

sorry bro but you dis brava you dis me!

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | February 28, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

"Boswell provided the additional detail that the Southeast Freeway access to Lot 8 may be declared baseball-only on such occasions."

How is this even enforceable? Will the lot attendants check cars for evidence of peanuts, cracker jack and sleeping pills?

Posted by: Anonymous | February 28, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

If the DCSEC spent thousands of dollars in accomodating both teams on the field I can't see them not accomodating both sets of fans in the parking lot.

Btw, yes...Lot 8 is where our tailgate is.

Posted by: Chico | February 28, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

That was a class thing to do and I hope Tino has worked hard and makes the team. Good luck!

Posted by: DCAustinite | February 28, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

OUR TAILGATE NOOOOOOOO Papi Oscar is gonna have to speak to this people!

Posted by: 135 | February 28, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Tino, you want to be forgiven. All you have to do is be the baller you were supposed to be from day one. Bag ten goals and ten assists and your cup will over flow with love. Till then; talk is a nice gesture, production is more powerful than an Obama speech.

Posted by: Soccer Guru | February 28, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Awesome. Nerd fans pretending that their 12 year old soccer franchise is Boca Juniors can bully a young player who was traded away by shouting abuse about how he's fat and lazy and a bad father, and even (on the internet) allege that he's a drug abuser, and if the guy stands up for himself, he's vilified until he comes crawling back kissing ass.

No wonder so many United fans are believing their own clippings. Pathetic and spineless from Q.

Posted by: dorks2 | February 28, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

With a team name like "Grasshoppers," expect SteinBog to have a field day if the guy actually signs.
--------------
"Kasper confirmed that David Blumer, a 22-year-old forward for Grasshoppers in Switzerland, will begin a trial with the club in Texas. If United likes him, he would be available on loan."

Posted by: Juan-John | February 28, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

hey dorks2 u sound like a metro fan

Posted by: 135 | February 28, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

free way to lot 8 where is this?

isnt lot 8 where the Barra Brava tailgate?

Posted by: need directions | February 28, 2008 03:38 PM
==========================================

Most people going to RFK from the 14th St. Bridge will be familiar with this route. You veer off to the left just before the freeway ends at Pennsylvania Ave. I suspect that more vehicles enter the RFK grounds at this point than at any other.

Posted by: tri-village | February 28, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

thanks tri-village thats my route and they are trying to clese that for baseball fans COME ON!!!!!!!

Posted by: need direction | February 28, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm not overly offended by Santino's previous behavior, but I find his apology a tad orchestrated. As said by others, future actions will support any apology he can offer. Still, good on him for saying what he did, the way he did, and at this point early in the relationship.

Having done so, he may now cuddle...

OTOH, if baseball fans take over Lot 8 - for free, no less - I say we tailgate on the road that circle RFK. Good flat surface, so the grills and kegs will be steady, and good proximity to the field...

Posted by: Too orchestrated | February 28, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Santino, it really is simple. Perform on the field for DCU with effort and pride and all is forgiven. You don't have to perform another crass act towards another team's supporters as some have suggested. Just play with passion for DCU and you will win everyone over.

Posted by: GoldenChild | February 28, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | February 28, 2008 03:40 PM
==========================================

To clarify: According to Boswell, they would turn it into an express lane for shuttle buses between the two venues.

Posted by: tri-village | February 28, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

------
------

Ask Jeff Agoos.

Posted by: Been done before | February 28, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

When Tino makes the team I will forgive him, because he is with DC United and therefore must be supported. Until then, screw him!

Posted by: Grudge | February 28, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey dork, you picked the right user name.

Posted by: RowdyRoddyPiper | February 28, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dorks2 | February 28, 2008 03:46 PM

dorks2.....
I don't know if you are referring to my previous post, but I have never shouted any abuse towards Santino and I have never written anything about him on the internet until today, when I invited him back to the team with open arms....what I am trying to say, and you are obviously too dumb to understand, is that when you have a great team like D.C. United to follow and you are passionate about something, then the reactions from the offended parties is understandable. If you don't understand, then you do not have the passion that our fans do and you will never understand. So, like I said before, get off this blog and stay away from R.F.K. If you happen to come to D.C. for a game, come by and see me before the game in parking lot 8 or come up and see me in section M50, row 1 seats 18 and 17 and we can talk face to face.

Posted by: Smitty | February 28, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Tino, you're okay by me.

Incidentally, a buddy of mine who saw the United-San Jose friendly last weekend called me and told me he saw "some guy who looked like Santino Quaranta, only 30 pounds lighter" playing for United.

Good omen....

Posted by: DWE4 | February 28, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Regarding that "obscure back access road from RFK", I don't think Boswell is referring to the road from the freeway to Lot 8.

When I got to RFK for the Galaxy game last year, the Galaxy bus was right behind me. Before the entrance to the road to Lot 8, the bus hung a left and snuck off a back road to the stadium. That HAS to be the road Boswell is referring to. How else do they expect people to get to Lot 8 from the freeway, anyway? To go through the neighborhood streets?

Posted by: Mike | February 28, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

------

Ask Jeff Agoos.

Posted by: Been done before | February 28, 2008 03:55 PM
==========================================

I vaguely remember this, but I can't find any mention of it on Goose's Wikipedia page. When did he play for them?

Posted by: tri-village | February 28, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Smitty, get a grip.

It's okay to love your club.
It's okay to apologize.
It's okay to be loyal to the shirt.

Give it a rest.

Posted by: Chill Dudes | February 28, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Agoos never played for them - it was an offseason speculative destination, kinda like Eddie Pope going to Feyenoord.

Posted by: Henchlow | February 28, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Santino, you are forgiven. I've spoken to him a few times at team functions, and he is a nice young man who had to grow up quickly under a microscope. He is only 23 now, and was even younger when he faced "transition" from his first job and his first home. It is not at all uncommon to react in a less than perfect fashion when losing a job. Who out there has lost a job, at a young age, and handled themselves with perfect professionalism? More the exception than the rule? Who is more "mature" in years and still says or does regrettable things? The only difference is that Tino had a lot more people watching. It's all part of growing up, and it shows a lot of guts to suck it up and try to come back. I hope it works out and that he is welcomed back.

Posted by: Section 304 | February 28, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

We are going to tailgate and break into the cars of nationals fans...that is what we are going to do.

Posted by: jgildea | February 28, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I will only forgive you if you:

1) make the team again
2) embarrass the tutu-wearing girly galaxy players...

sorry bro but you dis brava you dis me!

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | February 28, 2008 03:40 PM

Oh, come on. I'm in the Barra too, and it's not some inner-city gang in which all those who disrespect the Barra get a slug between their eyes. The guy apologized, and he's trying to make the team. Listen to Chico: let bygones be bygones.

Posted by: Glaucon | February 28, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it be weird if Santino actually started playing the way we had (probably unfairly) hoped he would back in 2001?

Like I said before, his apology is good enough for me, regardless of whether he makes the team or not.

Is there an unwritten rule at United that they must have two Carrolls on their roster?

Posted by: TCompton | February 28, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I forgive you, Tino. On one condition...you not only score in LA, but you flash the Riot Squad a Joey Barton-esque moon in your celebration dance. Ha-ha!

Seriously I forgive you and was just kidding about the scoring a goal part (I mean you really don't have to score to do the serious part).

Here's hoping you can make it back into the fold.

VAMOS UNITED!!

Posted by: Kosh | February 28, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

smitty - your kind of faux hooliganism is what's not welcome at RFK, whether you're in the barra or not.

Posted by: ugh | February 28, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Im in a forgiving mood today, he has to raise a 5th MLS Cup and SS

Posted by: The Jim | February 28, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

My $0.02: If the beisbol fans and the futbol fans park in the same lot, it could be an opportunity to introduce them (even if it's just in passing) to the joy of soccer. Or it could be an opportunity to act like jerks and reinforce Mark Fisher's stereotypes.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 28, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Smitty | February 28, 2008 03:59 PM
==========================================

If everyone who did not share your "passion" took your advice and stayed away, attendance would drop to a couple thou, tops.

Posted by: tri-village | February 28, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Chill Dudes - that's cool. I am chilled and ready for a great season. I read this blog and the comments daily and rarely comment myself, but I felt that I had to respond to dorks' post. Next time I'll just read and keep it to myself.

Ugh - They love me at R.F.K. I know all of the staff that work in half the mezzanine...I buy them sodas and food, I spend a lot of money on D.C.U. gear and promote my team everywhere I go. I pay for my season tickets early, attend all games and most extra curricular activities. I drive over 120 miles round-trip to watch the 180-200 games I have attended and have grown my section from 3 season ticket holders to over 9 (and these are the more expensive seats). Don't tell me that I am the type of person not welcome at R.F.K. I'll keep on attending games from out here in the country until I die.

Go D.C.!!

Posted by: Smitty | February 28, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

SoccerAmerica reporting that Israel Sesay may not be in the Galaxy's plans this year. Would love to see the local kid in the black and red.

Posted by: WNT fan | February 28, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

tino,

Posted by: dorks | February 28, 2008 02:48 PM
=================================

Do you care whether Goff made his HS team or not? I'd consider him an expert in football regardless. Impugning someone's opinion based on their playing resume is not logical.

Posted by: WNT fan | February 28, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

A few days ago, he was persona non grata, today prodigal son. People on here crack me up.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | February 28, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Steven, In the past, MLS had a policy against loan deals. Has this changed?

Posted by: Giles | February 28, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

If Stratford had truly beaten out Simms for starting DM, don't you think the team would give him something better than a developmental contract?

Also, Agoos was born in Switzerland (his father was a diplomat - but not a Washington Diplomat), but left as a child. I don't think he was on Grasshoppers' radar at age two.

Posted by: Hedbal | February 28, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I take Quaranta at his word. If fans can't get over it, then that is their problem.

Posted by: Dave | February 28, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

We love you Santino. All is forgiven. Be the next Jaime for us. Score the winning goal in the CCC final.

Posted by: New Jaime | February 28, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

WNT Fan-

Sesay is intriguing, but I don't know if there will be enough developmental spots left. By my count, we've got Monteiro, Kirk, Stratford, and the Brothers Carroll already signed, and Thorpe is the only keeper besides Wells and Carvallo still in camp. That's 6 spots taken.

We still have Cordeiro, Owens, and Schmitz from the draft, Murphy on trial, and now the 3 new trialists (Cezar, Blumer, and Thompson). Only 4 from this group will get in, assuming no trades or other trialists.

It is odd, though, that LA never seemed interested in giving Sesay a chance. Just last week, they left him on the bench as their only unused sub against Gamba Osaka, despite sending on trialists and rookies with no contract. Then again, I guess explaining LA's decision-making often would require more booze than I have on me.

***

On Quaranta: Forgiven. Glad to see that you want it to work here at DC rather than other MLS teams. Now, how's your fitness?

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | February 28, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

jgildea -- get outta here with that stuff.

Horray United!

Posted by: David | February 28, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Wow, this kid was a loser and not worth a United uniform. Our front office is so stupid when it considers dropping Steven DeRoux, who hustles 100% of the time, yet considers bringing back a cry baby like Santino Q. Any we wonder why ticket sales are lagging????

Posted by: MIA | February 28, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

@MIA

Hell, I can hustle on the field. It won't make me a good player. Quaranta has undeniable talent. It's his commitment that has been questionable.

And on what basis do you say that ticket sales are lagging?

Posted by: Matt Mathai | February 28, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Tino has bought himself enough time with the fans to do something with the team.

Now comes the hard part: He has to play hard and well everyday. Much easier said than done!

Posted by: Interesting | February 28, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

We have to admit that some of our fans are idiots and can go way too far with their drunken babbling. Let's show a little class and not fall victim to this macho posturing.

Welcome back Tino, I hope.

Posted by: La Norte | February 28, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad that Tino apologized to the supporters groups & fans. Now, Tino, train harder than you ever have before. Also play harder than you ever have before. Don't hold anything back. We all know you have the talent, now you must put out the effort. Everyone here wants to see you (and the team) succeed.

Posted by: Winoman | February 28, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

I've burned my signed rookie Tino card, but if he's truly apologetic and not just blowing smoke, I'll tentatively accept his apology. All is not forgiven (for me) but IF he makes the team and IF he produces on the field and IF he takes a responsible role in the locker room and IF he publicly comes over to 134/135 and gets on both knees and bows in an "I'm not worthy" rite of passage, then I'll welcome him back with open arms.

Honestly, I hope Tino's life straightens out and all is well for him in the future.

Posted by: Beaker | February 28, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey Matt,

what world are you looking at to say Santinos talent is so good that he does not need to hussle. If you remember Ali curtis was all hustle and I would say he was more of a succes than Santino was at this time. I play indoor soccer all the time and its arrogant pricks who think they are the next pele who never amount to much. I hope I am wrong and Santino shows up, because with his talent and his hustle he could be a good player (who said great). I personally prefer a player with no talent bleeding for the shirt instead of someone who has his head stuck in the wrong place. I respect hi apology, but like an earlier post he will show us respect on the field. This issue is beyond that La night. Santino has disrespected our team for far to long. Its time for him to put his foot where his mouth is.

Posted by: DC FAN | February 28, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

@Posted by: dorks2 | February 28, 2008 03:46 PM

while I think you are being a bit crass about it, you are right that there are SOME DC fans who believe they are La Doce, which is a joke. Just an outsiders perspective on it here.

I can only speak for myself, but I know that if a player made rude gestures to us in Chicago and was on the team the next year, there would be no problems at all. No apology needed so long as he worked his ass off. If you are playing for another team you shouldn't be nice to opposing supporters, even if you did play for them at one time.

Posted by: papa bear | February 28, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Does DC have some sort of arrnagement with Grasshoppers I don't know about?

Didn't Kim Jaggy also come over for a trial from them?

Posted by: Aljarov | February 28, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Santino doesn't need to prove anything to any fan of this team. If he wears the shirt, I'll be cheering for him. For those who would prefer to find reasons to continue to ride a member of the squad for perceived slights to fans, there are still plenty of seats available at the new baseball park and you can spend your summer booing and heckling your own players to your hearts content. This isn't about what we are owed; this is about loving the shield. Coming back on trial evinces a love for this team that no number of miles logged driving to away matches or purchases of season tickets (even in the mezzanine) can match.

Posted by: BarraSmile | February 28, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Glaucon:

I was KIDDING...except for him scoring against the Galaxy, I would appreciate that...

;)

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | February 28, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, it's hard to detect.

...Won't you ever forgive me???...

Posted by: Glaucon | February 28, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Good Lord, think Tino could get through all these posts? I barely made it myself, but couldn't help myself. I'd love to see Tino play for us. unfortunately, he's got Reyna/O'brien disease. Can't stay healthy

Posted by: Anonymous | February 28, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Tino had me at 'hello.'

Posted by: Jerry McGuire | February 28, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

You have been given one more chance by the club and it's fans Tino. Never forget that.

Posted by: Dave | February 29, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse

This has the potential to be a "Very Special Lifetime Movie"... Local kid from the gritty streets of Highlandtown dazzles with the U17s, gets drafted by the hometown club, debuts to limited success has untold promise, then it "all goes wrong", player makes bad choices, is at the end of his rope career wise.... but then is given a second chance back with hometown team---the rest could be history! Americans, man, don't we just love this kinda story?

Posted by: biggie | February 29, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

that's funny. grasshoppers are my team as well..thought i was the only one in the new world.

Posted by: mizage | February 29, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

What a great story in the Post today! Great work, Goff.

As for Santino, I remember his first goal for L.A. two years ago. Wow. He has tremendous touch and vision. And, he has great size.

I don't know his fitness level or if the recent string of injuries have hurt his game. But, if he's moving well and healthy - and, more importantly, if his head is there - this could be a huge signing for DCU.

Posted by: jj | February 29, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

This has the potential to be a "Very Special Lifetime Movie"
Posted by: biggie | February 29, 2008 08:48 AM
=================

:-) I think Steve is working on a script, given the opening:

The nameplate above Santino Quaranta's locker in the basement of RFK Stadium provides a stark reminder of his status with D.C. United.
"GUEST PLAYER."

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 29, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

glaucon: I know. My sarcasm is pretty pathetic unless it's in person. Makes for some controversial blogging. LOL.

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | February 29, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

For those folks who forgive Q1, fine with me. For those that expect some extraordinary jesture to accept him, that just seems odd to me.

For me, I don't forgive him for his actions. I think his apology is contrived and orchestrated. I would not boo him, because I won't boo my own team. I don't feel compelled to cheer for him, though. Perhaps, as time goes on, I'll feel differently.

Others may have different opinions, so be it.
For that jackass

Posted by: JSF | February 29, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

"for that jackass" was the beginning of another thought that I decided to skip, but didn't delete that prepositional phrase. ignore.

Posted by: JSF | February 29, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

what happened with Jerson Monteiro? i heard he turned down the development contract.

Posted by: frank | March 2, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse