Slow Ride.....

.....take it easy.

Not much happening at the moment.

David Beckham is in need of conditioning for England's purposes, the Galaxy's match in Hong Kong awaits approval from the authorities and Real Salt Lake adds a Scot.

More later. Hopefully.

All football subjects are open for discussion. Commence.

By Steve Goff  |  February 27, 2008; 10:27 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Olympic Elderly Options
Next: Crew Move

Comments

Any word on a shirt sponser? (for the trillionth time)

=)

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | February 27, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I've noticed that when news is slow we go to the 70's Rock (Foghat, Pink Floyd).

Why don't we just make up some wild rumors like DC United are signing Bare with their 2nd DP slot, or that the Poplar Point Stadium groundbreaking has been scheduled for April 1st?

The reason....Then we will be like the other blogs arguing about falsehoods and lies.

Rock on Brother Goff until the next piece of news that's fit to print/type comes along.

Posted by: GoldenChild | February 27, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

No word on shirt sponsor and don't expect an announcement soon.

The jerseys will look quite plain for the time being -- the stripes are gone in anticipation of a corporate logo filling the space.

Posted by: Goff | February 27, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Real look to have signed a decent forward... good for the league!

Posted by: Felix | February 27, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Goff!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | February 27, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

As far as I know, unless that Scot is a reknowned expert, he'll have to do at least an internship here in the US (if not 3 years) to get licensed. So I'm not sure how there is any expectation that he'll do any part-time practicing of medicine until his playing days are over.

Posted by: Dykstra | February 27, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Wow, the new RSL strike is also a doctor. I suppose he will join in the summer?

"New England coach Fabio Capello revealed Beckham" made me think about the Revs...

Posted by: RK | February 27, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Scotland Forever! (And D.C. United a wee bit longer...)

Posted by: Joe Doc | February 27, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Can you update us on Niell's injury?

Posted by: Chico | February 27, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

Will you make the short drive from DC to Chester tomorrow for the announcement of Philadelphia's team? The Sons of Ben are reporting a meet the owners last night in which Nick Sakiewicz said that if they showed up on Thursday, they would not be disappointed.

Posted by: Jordan | February 27, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Yo Goff, if you're the 2nd most visited blog, how come you are the last blog listed on the Post's sports blog page?

Posted by: Matt | February 27, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Would couldn't DCU just have the 3 stripes across the jersey until we get a sponsor. Then at that time, we could lose the stripes for the sponsor. Really? i don't care. I'm just trying to bring up something while I have a rare slow day myself!

Posted by: Chico's Brother | February 27, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I'm really interested to see how RSL's new striker will do in the MLS. Reports from the BBC were saying that he has been pounding in goals this year and last. I think they said he had something like 41 goals in 24 games last year in the Scottish First Division.

Posted by: Nick | February 27, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Slow day? Check out Foghat clips on youtube. I miss the 70s, power chords and a screaming slide gittar.

Posted by: WNT fan | February 27, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Laff, I now associate that song with a very easy Guitar Hero song, and have disassociated it with bad 70's music. Funny how that works.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | February 27, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

"The Sons of Ben are reporting a meet the owners last night in which Nick Sakiewicz said that if they showed up on Thursday, they would not be disappointed."

Nicko: "EXPANSION TEAM? NO I JUST GOT A GREAT DEAL ON CAR INSURANCE!!!1!!1 !1ONE !1 1"

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | February 27, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I hear Niell is fine, but we'll know for sure when the team resumes training at RFK tomorrow.

No Philly for me; RFK beckons.

My blog is listed last because it was the last one to get started. Perhaps Christian Swezey's college lacrosse blog, which is scheduled to launch next week, will bump me up to next to last.

Posted by: Goff | February 27, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I didn't realize RSL's agreement with Real Madrid included friendlies in Salt Lake and the development of a youth acadamy. That's a pretty sweet deal for RSL... why on earth would Madrid agree to such a deal?

As for the striker... good for RSL, but I'll be impressed when RSL gets over the .500 mark. Hopefully Kries knows a little bit about coaching. Watching that team is as depressing as watching the Crew.

Posted by: TCompton | February 27, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Is it me or does there seem to be a media blackout (how appropriate) of the United Pre-season? And after Bradenton, there has been nearly no alternative media coverage ("Internnet Nuts" either).

Off season I must have gotten spoiled with all the Signings...

Goff, I need a fix!

Posted by: Looking Dangerous | February 27, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

The legend lives on, from the Chipewa on down, to the Great Lake they call it...

Posted by: Joe Doc | February 27, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Looking Dangerous. It does appear that United have been more stingy with information this year than last. Steve, you seem to be our only source for info regarding our club. And by the way, thank you very much.

Posted by: rob | February 27, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

well you got it made in the shade Darling, don't let that tree fall down on you.....

Posted by: Smitty | February 27, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Good pick for "Real". let see how "Real" he is to "Real" Salt Lake. Sorry I still can't believe their called "Real" Salt lake. Didn't fit right from the begininig. The way "Real" have been playing is "Unreal". haha.

All hail DC UNITED!!

Posted by: yo its me | February 27, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Chico's Brother...

United could improvise stripes with some medical tape until they get sponsors!

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | February 27, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

This, that, and the other thing.

The Kenny Deuchar, MBBS story reminds me of Burt Lancaster's character in Field of Dreams. Maybe Kenny will come out of the stands to treat someone's arthritis (he's a rheumatologist).

Should LA combine all of their pre- and post-season tours into a worthwhile Pan-Pacific tournament? Of course, it would cease being profitable when Beckham retires.

The three stripes have more to do with Adidas than DC United. It doesn't bother me that they're gone.

My suggestion for the Philly teams' name:
Deportivo Real Philadelphia City Spartak United 2010 FC.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 27, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

------------

I was not with them in Florida or California, so the opportunity to write about preseason has been limited.(If the club trained here, things would be much different.) Nonetheless, the big Carvallo feature ran in yesterday's paper and I will have blog updates and a Friday print story following Thursday's workouts at RFK. We are also planning a broader story about the new-look roster early next week while they are in Texas (and I remain here to handle my college hoops responsibilities).

Not sure what other media outlets have planned.

Posted by: Goff | February 27, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Goff, you going to Jamaica?

Posted by: Goose | February 27, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Not that y'all care what I think, and I know the DC look has a strong association with the Adidas stripes, but I think the all-black shirts look really intimidating. The only trademark-free workaround I could figure was to go for a black and white version of Boca Jrs home shirt, but what they came up with looks much better.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | February 27, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Do you, or others, know if stats are kept on the overall number of roster moves made by the league? If the number is increasing, is a measure of increasing health/competitiveness?

Also, any rumblings on PP?

Finally, any thoughts on which off season addition to United / MLS will provide the best ROI?

thanks,

Dan

Posted by: AlexandriaDan | February 27, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Goff, you going to Jamaica?

----------

No. Not going to any Champions' Cup road matches unless DCU reaches the finals.

Posted by: Goff | February 27, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Deuchar scored twice over the weekend aginst Rangers:

Both were headers off corners. Guy has some size and, here, at least, looks good in the air. Probably a good pickup. Wonder what he will be paid.

Posted by: Nogra Rover | February 27, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I went to worldsoccershop.com and found that they do have the new DC United jerseys with the three horizontal stripes across the chest.

It appears to be the '08 version.

Posted by: toddinho | February 27, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Good move for Deuchan. Gretna is bottom-table in the SPL. Hard to see how they won't be relegated even with the SFA's byzantine relegation system.

Posted by: CMJ | February 27, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Philly is apparently slated for a 2010 debut. What sort of weirdness might we see in a schedule for a 15-team league?

Posted by: tri-village | February 27, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Thanks. I'll try to contain myself till the week-end updates! And I do thank you for your great coverage.

I was surfing thru some blog and it mentioned that with the NYRB dropping Doe and Dema they were somehow 1M under the salary cap. Can you comment on that possibility? With 2 DP's that seems awfully, awfully hard to believe. And it scares me a bit unless they only have 12 guys in camp.

One report, but not the one I read yesterday:

Posted by: Looking Dangerous | February 27, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Boswell's story- Nationals Park: Best of a Bad Lot

"The result is that an obscure back access road from RFK to the new ballpark area will be used exclusively by Nats buses..."

Does this mean that they are going to limit DCU fans from using that route to get into Lot 8 when the Nats and DCU have games at the same time?

Posted by: Can't wait for the season to begin | February 27, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Here's the link:

And aren't they referring to the connector to the SE freeway? Just what is "obscure" about that roadway?

Posted by: tri-village | February 27, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | February 27, 2008 11:23 AM
===========================================
Good stuff. Back in my day, sonny, if you wanted to be a "guitar hero," you had to learn to play the guitar.

And a couple of quarts of beer would fix it so's the intonation would not offend your ear.

Posted by: dcca | February 27, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcca | February 27, 2008 04:31 PM
================

The empty bottles make good slides.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 28, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse