Toronto News and SuperLiga Details

*I am hearing that Mo Johnston is out as Toronto FC coach and will move into a personnel role with the club. Frankly, I am not surprised. The buzz at MLS Cup here in D.C. in November was that Mo might not return as coach and would slide into the front office. Let's await an official announcement today.....

*Sources tell me that DCU, Houston, New England and Chivas USA are set to participate in SuperLiga this summer. The Mexican opponents and the match dates should be unveiled sometime in March. What I am also hearing is that MLS will again lighten the regular season schedule for those four clubs around the time of the tournament. Speaking of the regular season, the latest target date for release of the complete schedule is apparently next Thursday, but that could change. I do know that DCU is tenatively scheduled to play its two matches with Real Salt Lake within a couple weeks of each other early in the season.

*And a college note.....

As we reported here last week, Michael Brady is officially leaving as American U. women's coach to join John Kerr Jr.'s staff with the Duke men's program.

By Steve Goff  |  February 1, 2008; 11:36 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Roundup
Next: Mo, Toronto and Gomez

Comments

So, sometime before the first game we should know when the first game is?
Or is it the 2nd game?

Posted by: marksman | February 1, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

From what I hear DC United will have a very very light MLS schedule during July...also that there could be quite a few Thursday games due to TV requesting the team playing for the national games.

Posted by: soccerrules | February 1, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I have read in the FMF website that Pachuca has already confirmed that they will be back to defend their Superliga Title. The other teams have not been announced but it is believed to be Chivas, America and Santos Laguna.

Posted by: Michoacano | February 1, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the Mex update!

Posted by: Goff | February 1, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Nice to hear we have a couple of early season games against a modest opponent (RSL) while the team adjusts to all the new faces.

Posted by: Kire | February 1, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Anyone making book on the odds DC draws Chivas again?

Posted by: Stevan in Gaithersburg | February 1, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

What will really be interesting is how MLS will lighten the load when the Champions League is played during the end of the regular season and the playoffs.

Posted by: BillyBob | February 1, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kire | February 1, 2008 11:59 AM

As I recall DCU lost to that modest opponent in Salt Lake City last season.

Posted by: BillyBob | February 1, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I remember Bradley on the sideline with cramps during a 5 overtime NCAA final. That's how you resolve a draw! An important match should never go to penalties. Just keep playing and let fitness and bench depth decide. Congrats on the new job, Michael, even though I could never bring myself to cheer for Duke.

Posted by: Troy | February 1, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Re: TFC

And... queue the coaching rumors about Jose Murhino(sp?) coming to MLS again...

Posted by: gilbert | February 1, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

So MLS teams will play in the Conc. Champ Cup in the spring, Superliga in summer, and Conc. Champs League in the Fall? How much money does MLS/SUM need to siphon off US-Mexico club games exactly? Plus the Open Cup, and I am sure when they get to 16 teams in this league, there will be a league cup.

Face it, MLS teams have the same schedules as an under-14 boys traveling team.

Posted by: AM | February 1, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

AM, What's the problem? I like watching my club play, and I (and others like me)pay money for the privilege. It is a business, after all. I don't begrudge the owners the chance to make a buck.

Posted by: ff | February 1, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Goff:

Do you know if Superliga 2008 will be played in the US or in Mexico? The Wikipedia page (I question its accuracy) says the matches will all be in Mexico.

Posted by: Mike | February 1, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

-----
So, sometime before the first game we should know when the first game is?
Or is it the 2nd game?
-----

the opening schedule is "official".

The league is still finalizing the full schedule:

"The schedule consists of all home openers and is subject to change with the rest of the schedule to be announced by early February."

United's page also has some of their international matches listed:

Posted by: links | February 1, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Completely devalues the league schedule - theoretically, United could play Pachuca more times than any Western Conference team this year. Overschedules the players at crucial times of the year. I know they can't turn a profit with all the DP and Beckhams of the league, just based on gate receipts for league games so they have to trick it out some, but if I am a season ticket holder and they are rolling out second-stringers making 14k a year against Kansas City on Saturday to save the first teamers for the mid-week game in Guadalajara, I would feel cheated. At some point, the league has to be the priority over home and homes with Costa Rican teams.

Posted by: AM | February 1, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Also regardign Superliga: Any chance for English language broadcasts?

Posted by: JeffreyG | February 1, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

The comments by soccerrules reminded me that it's been a while since I mentioned how much I dislike the Thursday home games. I understand that it's about getting MLS on TV (which is good) but they should really be sure to spread these games evenly among all the teams in the league.

Posted by: Doppler | February 1, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

AM wrote,

"if I am a season ticket holder and they are rolling out second-stringers making 14k a year against Kansas City on Saturday to save the first teamers for the mid-week game in Guadalajara, I would feel cheated. At some point, the league has to be the priority over home and homes with Costa Rican teams."

Don't know if you're referring to Concacaf Champions Cup (where we face a Jamaican team and then if we advance would probably face Pachuca), but if you are, I totally disagree.

I go to just about all DC's home games. The CCC games HAVE to be a priority. The possibility of winning and going to the World Club Cup should take priority over beating KC or whoever we face in our 30-game regular season before we even get to our playoffs.

Just my opinion, but I hold it pretty strongly.

Posted by: garbaggio | February 1, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Coach Brady was my high school soccer coach at the Potomac School ten years ago. Great to see that he's moving up the ranks within the college coaching scene. He's a fine coach.

Posted by: CLewisDC | February 1, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only person who thinks the Super Liga is a colossal waste of time considering there are two Champion League Cups this year including one taking place during the MLS playoffs?

Posted by: DC Dave | February 1, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Garbaggio,

Appreciate the discussion, but it kind of proves my point. MLS League Play becomes just one competition in which team play in, not the priority. MLS is not Europe - even the best MLS teams don't have the depth in their teams to be playing Saturday-Wednesday schedules every week. I just don't think it's fair to have MLS teams picking and choosing which tournaments to play in and how hard. And when you add in it's a World Cup qualifying year, a top American MLS player could have 8-10 games in a month from playing qualifiers, Open Cup, League, and CCC games and very little downtime between them to recover. I think MLS is burning the candle at both ends with its player resources to turn a quick buck.

Posted by: AM | February 1, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Seems that since SuperLiga is about TV and money, and MLS has a good deal of parity and no guarantee that the largest markets will have the best season, then make SuperLiga our "UEFA Cup" and enter FCD, RBNY, Chi, and KC into it. All playoff teams, all a few bad breaks from being in the CCC and/or CCL, and 3 are definitely big market. I know that wasn't the oringinal deal, but an MLS side winning wouldn't be that much less likely and MLS, LLC would still get its money. Meanwhile, the top four can compete in CCC and CCL for those million-dollar trips to the Club World Cup. I know that "second four" wasn't the Superliga promise, but hell, it's not like MLS never changed its mind about something.

Posted by: cowtown fcd | February 1, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

mmmm, Chivas USA vs Chivas Guadalajara in a meaningful match.

And they said "brothers don't fight." Hah...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | February 1, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

GHANA WILL WIN THE CAN 2008!

***BLACK STARS FOREVER***

Now that I've gotten that over with, I must say I am mourning C. Gomez with all my heart, but I wish him the best in Colorado :(

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | February 2, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

"Again lighten the schedule"? What does that mean? Not schedule games on the same day as SuperLiga games?

Last year the Dynamo played at least one MLS game every week all summer except for the week where we played three SuperLiga games. How was that lightening the schedule?

April - 4 MLS games
May - 4 MLS games
June - 6 MLS games (+ Gold Cup + Copa America)
July - 5 MLS games + the All-Star game + 2 SuperLiga games
August - 4 MLS games + 2 SuperLiga games
September - 4 MLS games
October - 3 MLS games

Looks to me like they loaded up our schedule around the time of SuperLiga, they didn't lighten it. At best you could say they kept it the same.

Posted by: newtex | February 2, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse