United Team Updates

Reserve midfielder-defender Jeff Carroll has a ruptured toe tendon and will be sidelined two to three months, Coach Tom Soehn said. He will remain on the 28-man roster in a developmental slot.

Meantime, midfielder Ben Olsen underwent an additional procedure, not surgery, on his recovering ankles yesterday. When will he return? "Hopefully for MLS Cup," Soehn joked. In all seriousness, "He is as antsy as anybody. After the surgery [in November], it takes a few months to get back, so it is a little longer than we had hoped, but it's not unusual."

Argentine forward Franco Niell has a strained quadriceps and has been working out on the side.

The fitness level from the Florida camp to the California camp has been "night and day," Soehn said. "You can really see a lot of the guys making progress. Getting fit and learning to play together is our main focus right now."

Some roster decisions are expected after the California stage of camp ends this weekend. There also is the possibility of additional trialists joining the club in San Antonio for the final camp beginning March 1. Soehn did say he is optimistic that the club will soon finalize a contract with rookie midfielder Dan Stratford, a supplemental draft pick from West Virginia University.

By Steve Goff  |  February 19, 2008; 3:58 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: On the Grapevine
Next: Piojo, DCU, Lunch, Real, a Book and 'Redemption'

Comments

Lets hope we will be at MLS Cup!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | February 19, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Does MLS have an IR (like the NFL) or a Disabled-List (like MLB) where you can "park" injured players without them counting against the roster limits or are teams with multiple injuries just SOL?

Posted by: GoldenChild | February 19, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Ah! So the limey will get a shot at the big time! Some of his training sessions with Bocanegra & Co at Fulhamerica will come in handy then.

Posted by: Modibo | February 19, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I think I ruptured a toe tendon playing living room soccer with the kids. It hurts like a motha and it has been two months. I can't bend my big toe for nothing.

Posted by: ouch | February 19, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, if Benny joins DCU for the MLS Cup, I'll be mighty happy....

Posted by: FischFry | February 19, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Any word on any of those thngs there wasn't any word about before?

Posted by: Anonymous | February 19, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Nope.

Posted by: Goff | February 19, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

So...the entire team is injured?

Posted by: sitruc | February 19, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Hi Goff,

Do you know when MLS Fantasy Soccer Returns? And do you participate? Will you be playing this year?

Does anyone here play it?

Posted by: yo its me | February 19, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Fantasy MLS!

Seriously, I thought I was the only person who looked forward to playing....

Posted by: DWE4 | February 19, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I liked the yahoo fantasy MLS but I think MFLS is stupid.

Posted by: Sharp | February 19, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I played the MFLS in its first year and didn't like it, its not the same as playing the Offical MLS Fantasy.

Posted by: yo its me | February 19, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Funny how half the team is injured, but Soehn still says the fitness level is like night and day between FL and CA. Which one is the night and which is the day? Judging from this report, it's not only Benny, J Carroll, and Frank O'Neal that are injured. Dyachenko and Kpene haven't been playing in any of the scrimmages lately either.

Posted by: DCUMD | February 19, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

There Should be a MLS Fantasy League for the Insider Only

Posted by: yo its me | February 19, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Any words on the probability of Renfrow making the developmental roster?

Thanks

Posted by: BarraBravaFunnyMan | February 19, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

We could certainly start up a custom MLS fantasy league only for regular Insider participants...

Posted by: DCUMD | February 19, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Soehn's comment was that the fitness has improved substantially from the start of training camp in Florida to the California sessions now, but that there is still a ways to go. Gallardo, Emilio and others are working their way into match shape. It takes time. Without naming names, he did seem a bit disappointed with the offseason routines of some players. As for the injuries, it's part of the game, especially in preseason when players are focused on conditioning.

Posted by: Goff | February 19, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

It's good to hear that Stratford has impressed enough to get a contract offer before the end of camp. We are really thin at defensive midfield (other options currently are either McTavish, who seems to be the first-choice sub at every position on the field, or pushing Olsen inside and playing Mediate at right midfield). I'm assuming this is a developmental offer (since we only have 1 more senior roster spot)?

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | February 19, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Maybe this was already mentioned, but DCUnited.com has a video up of four new players under Access United. At about the 1:07 mark, you'll note that the true purpose of the video is to show that PR director Doug Hicks has our beloved Stephen Goff by the earlobe as he's escorted through the room.
;)

Posted by: David | February 19, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

First Leg:

Liverpool 2, Inter Milan 0
Roma 2, Real Madrid 1
Schalke 1, FC Porto 0
Chelsea 0, Olympiakos 0

Posted by: Juan-John | February 19, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Sharp, you are absolutely right. The MFLS rules and scoring are cryptic.

Posted by: RK | February 19, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

thanks juan-john, because those scores are so hard to come by and NOBODY here has ANY of those games (which are played when most of us are working) taped to watch later. sheesh. i used to think people were, in general, good. . .

Posted by: why? | February 19, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

28 days to the first home match!

Posted by: Curious | February 19, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: why? | February 19, 2008 06:57 PM"

Why would you go on a blog called the Soccer Insider when you have a soccer game recorded to watch later???

Posted by: Duh? | February 19, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ouch | February 19, 2008 04:28 PM
==============

It serves you right!! How many times have I told you not to play in the living room?! You're always kicking the ball near a lamp or a window. It was only a matter of time before you broke something. I'm glad it's your toe. Maybe next time you'll think twice before doing something stupid!

Posted by: Mrs. ouch | February 19, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: why? | February 19, 2008 06:57 PM
------------------------------------------------

Since I don't really have access to Euro footie and thus don't follow it, I'll just throw in my impartial 2 cents:

If we take as a given that real-time Euro scores are easy to find online if you want to, and if we take as a given that many Euro matches are played at times when most readers of this blog (ie. American) are working, then maybe we can all just agree not to post scores?

Now, on the other hand, if you wanted to write some analysis of the matches or something like that, well, that seems more worthwhile. However just posting scores adds absolutely nothing to anyone's experience on this blog.

Posted by: edgeonyou | February 19, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

I like to record/dl the games from various sites to watch. I'm a die hard DC United supporter with no particular favorites in European soccer. Still I hate it when my experience is spoiled, as I still like to follow the European sides (how bout that Arsenal, huh?) Never the less I've learned to avoid this blog like the plague when I have yet to watch a match, as Goff himself is usually the spoiler.

Posted by: Live and learn | February 19, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: td | February 19, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

There's usually a rule that there is a mention in the thread title if there are spoilers. Was looking forward to watching roma-real. Thanks.

Posted by: thanks | February 19, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Live and learn | February 19, 2008 07:44 PM
-----------------------------------------

Precisely. Anyone who has participated in this blog for any length of time understands that there potentially will be real-time commentary on any match from anywhere on the face of the earth. I am pretty sure that Goff has said that is fine with him, and he makes the rules. (Besides, how would people know how long they should wait before discussing a result? 12 hours? 24 hours?) This poster named "why?" sounds like a newbie who is attempting to make the rules for the rest of us.

Posted by: 22201 | February 19, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

TD: ESPN Classic shows another game at 5pm and they give the highlight show on Fridays with analysis. Trust me when I say that this is more coverage than they gave four years ago when we were lucky to even see 1 game a week.

Posted by: Red Devil | February 19, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

In addition to what 22201 wrote, sometimes we post real-time scores when the matches are available to just a few of us (via p2p or ESPN360). There's no way of telling who has access to what. So, as someone else wrote, it's not a good idea to read soccer blogs if you're trying to avoid the scores.

By the way, I plan to tape the results of the Wisconsin and Hawaii primaries and watch them tomorrow. So don't post the scores.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 19, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Has anybody noticed that on dcunited.com has a new interface. I say its better the the tradition one.

Posted by: Observer | February 19, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

If you don't want to be spoiled, DON'T READ BLOGS.

Posted by: Ash | February 19, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 19, 2008 08:09 PM
===========================================

Edwards & Romney lost.

Posted by: Winoman | February 19, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

"Promised will not post score line tomorrow. I am though pissed coz espn shows only one game. So much for espn is the champions league tv channel. Over advertized under deliered."

ESPNDeportes, if you have it, shows every game from this round onward. Pretty sick deal... too bad I dont get that channel yet. I'm just glad ESPN has the rights, even if they only show one game permatchday on it's basic cable channel.

Posted by: Taylor | February 19, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Winomaaaaannn! From Hell's heart I stab at thee!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 19, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

If you don't want to be spoiled, DON'T READ BLOGS.

----------------

Agreed.

Posted by: Goff | February 19, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

What's a blog?

Posted by: Joe Doc | February 19, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Harbor View 0 DC United 1

Ha-hah!

I just posted a score from the future. That should spoil everyone's fun for the next month!

Posted by: nelson | February 19, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

I think we can all agree that a simple "SPOILER ALERT" on top of the post would be a nice courtesy.

Posted by: Glaucon | February 19, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

No spoiler alerts from me. Sorry.

Posted by: Goff | February 19, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Taylor + Red Davil: I agree that having just one champions league game is a huge development; however, I thought they show two games a day and since they don't say it on their website what games would be on the channel, I actually took the day off to watch them so after I found out there was just one game i was dissapointed. I don't get espn classic or deports. But Liverpool v. Inter game was satisfaction enough. Cheers!

Posted by: td | February 19, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

sup Goff!
how's the soccer world coming along?
sincerely,
BOB

Posted by: BOB | February 21, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Not bad BOB. The soccer world's coming along great.
Sincerely,