USA Roster Announced

ROSTER BY POSITION FOR MEXICO MATCH

GOALKEEPERS: Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Tim Howard (Everton FC).

DEFENDERS: Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham FC), Ramiro Corrales (SK Brann), Drew Moor (FC Dallas), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard de Liege), Michael Parkhurst (New England Revolution), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock), Eddie Robinson (Houston Dynamo).

MIDFIELDERS: Freddy Adu (SL Benfica), Michael Bradley (SC Heerenveen), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Bobby Convey (Reading FC), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Maurice Edu (Toronto FC), Benny Feilhaber (Derby County), Stuart Holden (Houston Dynamo), Eddie Lewis (Derby County).

FORWARDS: Jozy Altidore (New York Red Bulls), Clint Dempsey (Fulham FC), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Pat Noonan (Aalesund FK).

By Steve Goff  |  February 2, 2008; 5:58 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Falls to U-23s
Next: Gomez, Rapids Closing In on Deal

Comments

Great roster! I hope they give Freddy a full 90.

Posted by: Dave | February 2, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Finally, a roster to be excited about. Go get them boys!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DC United Fan | February 2, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

You'd mentioned that Conrad looked certain to be on the roster, you know why he wasn't included?

Posted by: Anonymous | February 2, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

following up on a comment from the previous thread

per the USMNT blog
Steve Cherundolo had been scheduled to come to Houston until he suffered a groin injury in Hannover's 1-1 draw away to Hamburg earlier today.

Posted by: emanon | February 2, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

.....wait a minute, i could have sworn Eddie Lewis just picked up an injury on his knee i believe, i mean i could have sworn i read that somewhere recently?!?!

Posted by: DjB | February 2, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

I want to see one of these two lineups (am I completely kidding myself? yeah, probably, but I like to dream):

----------Altidore----------

--Convey---------------Edu--
-----------Bradley----------
-Corrales----------Robinson-
----Bocanegra--Parkhurst----
-----------Howard-----------

Posted by: MemRook | February 2, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

"Brian Davis"? Is that Brad's evil twin who crosses from the right? Let's get them both on the roster!

Posted by: SmartyPants | February 2, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

MemRook, you dreamer, you. One thing...Robinson is exclusively a central defender. Trust me...you don't want him at right back.

Posted by: Chris H | February 2, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

well fine then, put Drew Moor back there, I don't really care. haha. I mean, I DO care, but I'm not entirely enthused about our defender options. I honestly thought Coralles looked good against Sweden, I think Bocanegra is still one center back. I want to give Parkhurst some minutes (maybe starting against Mexico isn't the greatest idea, but like i said, not entirely realistic). But if you like, make this the back line:

-Corrales-------D.Moor-
--Bocanegra--Robinson--

Posted by: MemRook | February 2, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

continuing my "not enthused about our defenders" rant, I meant for THIS game, the roster BB put out.

Where's Spector or Dolo or DeMerit? I think that especially Spector has been doing quite well. I think he should get some more serious playing time with the team. And DeMerit ain't a bad substitute.

Posted by: MemRook | February 2, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

In related news, Michael Bradley strikes again. He score in Heerenveen's 7-0 win today.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | February 2, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Michael Bradley is only on the team because his uncle writes for MLSnet.com.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 2, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm betting Noonan and Dempsey will start up top. Not becaus it's smart, but because that is what I think Bradley will do. Also, Gooch and Bocanegra in the back, though Parky is better than Gooch in ways I can't even express.

I think it is Very important, for Convey's sake, that he plays very well. If not, I think we are in a bit of a pickle. Justin Mapp and Alvarez are the only other possible options, and they are, at best, coming along.

I'm concerned with Drew "Norm" as a starter, and if Corrales is subbed in instead of Parkhurst, I will smash something.

Also, Adu and Altidore will undoubtedly be put on later.

Posted by: iagofart | February 2, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Pat Noonan?

Posted by: pc | February 2, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

I just don't get this Pat Noonan thing.

He's a nice MLS player, that's about the extent of it. He has good skill but no speed and no aeriel presence. He's useless out there.

I just don't get it.

Posted by: A Rickey | February 2, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Here's the lineup I'd like to see:

-----------Altidore----
--------Dempsey--Donovan----
-----Bradley----Feilhaver---
------------Edu------------
-Corrales----------Robinson-
-------Gooch----Bocahurst---
-----------Guzan-----------

Posted by: Rick In Ashburn | February 2, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

I completely agree with you about Noonan. If he isn't in the starting lineup, we'll All be happy. But Bradley is a predictable man. He's not starting Adu or Altidore against Mexico, though I wish he would. Also, considering Donovan is the only player good enough to start at right mid, he's not going to be the second striker.

Therefore, Snoozin will start.

Posted by: iagofart | February 2, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Please for the love of all that is not frat boy uniforms let me see Deuce play on the right wing for at least part of this game. Oh...and also significant minutes of the Freddy-Jozy show. I don't expect to see this line-up at the opening whistle, but I'd love to see this as our options (sans defense - I won't even bother pretending to know the best defensive line-up)

--------Altidore--------
-----Adu----Donovan-----
Convey-----------Dempsey
--------Bradley---------

Posted by: AT | February 2, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

The only thing this team lacks is experience in qualifying. Other than Donovan, Bocanegra, Gooch and Dempsey is there anyone on this roster that has battled in the confines of a hostile Central American stadium?

It will be mighty interesting to see how they develop as we head towards South Africa.

For once, I'm excited about our attacking options and our depth. If they can score goals, we won't have to worry much about the back 4.

Posted by: delantero | February 2, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

I'll say again -- what is it with the all the haters and Pat Noonan? After Donovan and Altidore, he was our bets field player against Sweden.

Posted by: FIsch Fry | February 2, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

re: the Pat Noonan haters.... they confuse him with Danny Noonan.
Which is sad, because Danny proved he could play.

Posted by: qtip | February 2, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

What to understand about Noonan? We have no real forwards (until Jozy comes alive for the senior squad--then he's the only one). Noonan is one of the best of that thing we haven't got.

Posted by: viv | February 2, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

You know what? I don't really care who gets the start as long as Bradley, Altidore, Adu and Edu all get at least 20 mins. At some point we're going to lose one of these, but I can accept it if those guys are getting valuable minutes.

Posted by: thesillyseason.net | February 2, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

BOCA 2-3 RIVER super classic game. Just Wow! Marcello Gallardo's River team beet BOCA and won the 2008 Copa Revancha and lifted the trophy. Perhaps that's a good sign that River's spirit translate into Gallordo and DCU can win the trophies too. Three red cards to River and One red to Boca.

Posted by: td | February 2, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Here's my starting 11:

-----Altidore-----Donovan------

Davis-------------------Dempsey

-------Clark-----Bradley-------

Corrales-------------------Moor

-----Bocanegra-----Onyewu------

-------------Howard------------

Without Twellman, I think you have to go with Altidore in his spot. And I think Donovan should sit just behind him, with Dempsey on the right, where I think he's best at. I liked Davis' crossing in the Sweden game so I'd like to see more of that against Mexico with Altidore to get on the end of those. Clark and Bradley holding down the midfield and shooting from long range. I think it's a good balance of attack and defense, with most of these guys being 2-way players.

Posted by: Chris H | February 2, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Here is lineup I want to see:
---Altidore--------Dempsey---
--------------Adu------------
-Convey--------------Donovan-
-----------Bradley-----------
-Pearce--Boca--Onyewu--Parkh-
------------Howard-----------

I think Bob Bradley's lineup is:
----------Dempsey------------
-Convey---Bradley----Donovan-
-------Edu--------Clark------
-Pearce--Boca--Onyewu--Parkh-
------------Howard-----------

He's definitely going to bust out the 4-5-1 that Arena used in Germany. It will probably work against Mexico and other Concacaf minnows, but not against the Czechs and Ghanians or any other powerhouse. I'm so sick of set piece, penalty kick, and counterattack goals. We need two forwards and an attacking style if we want to beat the best teams in the world.

Posted by: Mark | February 2, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

It's good to see Stuart Holden getting called in, I wonder whether the game being played in Houston influenced his call-up.

Is Ching no longer in National team picture?

He was a pretty regular part of the team up through the Gold Cup last summer and seems to combine well with Donovan.

It would be nice if we could develop a target forward who isn't A) an 18-year-old who will be away at the Olympics; B) a retired bleeder like Brian McBride, or C) Taylor Twellman.

Posted by: garbaggio | February 2, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Hey... does anyone know anything about the Mexico line up? Are they taking this as seriously as it looks like we are? I think Goff posted a link to it last week, but I don't know the players well enough to say if they're putting up their best team. Thanks.

Posted by: David | February 3, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: David | February 3, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: David | February 3, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: David | February 3, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: David | February 3, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Nnnnnoonan!

Posted by: Ty Webb | February 3, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Too those above, Convey is starting over Davis, and Bradley is not an attacking midfielder. He's the only real destroyer of the bunch, albeit he scores like a maniac for his club. Better to keep him where he's comfortable. He's scored from that position probably because they don't see him coming.

The midfield should consist at least of Convey, Donovan, and Bradley. The only real drama is who pairs up with Michael in the middle. Edu, Rico, and Benny= a very confused midfield if you sub them all in. Better to choose one.

I don't see us losing if we don't get crazy with the subs. The only real venom Mexico has is Castillo, who wasn't even called in. But, as the above would indicate, there is a lot of confusion with the lineup.

Posted by: strangely confused | February 3, 2008 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Here's my team:
---Altidore--------Noonan---
-----------Donovan----------
-Convey--------------Dempsey-
-------Bradley----Edu-------
--Bocanegra--Parkhurst---Corrales-
------------Howard-----------

I think it would be very cool if Bradley went with a 2-5-3, he's stocked in the midfield and I feel Noonan is a good striker and a good complimentary player who can lay off balls and deliver to the United States' finisher Jozy Altidore. Donovan is good to hang out as a third striker and when Adu gets in the game Donovan can take either striker role and Adu gets to play in the coveted CAM. Dempsey is a winger, he should play there.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 3, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Great rosters, except for a couple things:

1) Where are Spector (a player that plays pretty regularly for West Ham) and DeMerit?

2) Why is Eddie Lewis in this team when he is injured and is well past his prime?

Hopefully Adu, Bradley, and Altidore get meaningful time together.

Posted by: Chase | February 3, 2008 1:22 AM | Report abuse

BRADLEY IS STARTING!!!!!

There is no way in hell he isn't. Don't wish. It's happening.

Posted by: ! | February 3, 2008 3:17 AM | Report abuse

BRADLEY IS STARTING!!!!!

There is no way in hell he isn't. Don't wish. It's happening.

Posted by: ! | February 3, 2008 3:17 AM | Report abuse

Why most people do not includ Adu in the line ups. He plays in the biggest club than any of the players and he plays well there but not in the UMNT?

Posted by: td | February 3, 2008 6:50 AM | Report abuse

Why is Landon Donovan even getting called up??? What has he ever done at the National Team level against anybody outside the USA/CONCACAF??? Also why have Davis/Moor/Corrales ETC.... called up and on the bench. They will not have any chance to be on the team in 2010!! Where is Demerit, Subotic, Spector??

Guzan

Parkhurst Gooch Boca Pearce

Clark

Dempsey Bradley Convey

Adu Altidore

Possibly Edu instead of Clark But No Donovan until he decides he wants to really play at a high level and challenge himself in a European league!!!!!!

Posted by: usnavysrchief | February 3, 2008 6:56 AM | Report abuse

Dudes, like, where's Frankie Hejduk?!

I mean, like, seriously, dudes, you know?!

Posted by: Joe Doc | February 3, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Andres Guardado pulled out of the game because of an injury and Nery Castillo has been injured since his debut w Manchester City several weeks ago.

Otherwise Mexico is bringing the A team and the Latino media has really been harping on the fact that they haven't beaten us in El Norte in umpteen years.

Hugo Sanchez is even bring in naturalized players like Sinha from Toluca. Sanchez spent years undermining former Nat coach LaVolpe for calling up naturalized players insinuating it was an insult to Mexican honor.

Posted by: garbaggio | February 3, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

The great thing is that we'll have a major home-field advantage during this game.

: )

Oh, Danny Noonan was a force at Nebraska in the mid-80's. I'd love to see him bust through the line and sack the Mexican QB.

Posted by: Hoost | February 3, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Noonan? Seriously? To all you people who have been complaining about Twellman, this is what you get!

Posted by: DCUMD | February 3, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Hopeful Lineup:

--------Atidore-------
----------Adu---------
Donovan----------Dempsey
-----Bradley--Edu-------
Pearce--Boca--Gooch--Parkhurst/Moor

Very, Very Hopeful...

Posted by: psps23 | February 3, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

-------

I'm sorry, Donovan hasn't done what?

It couldn't be A) scored in a world cup against a superpower, B) The leading goal scorer in US history,C) A man with almost a hundred caps at 25 or D) The most hated an feared player Mexico has ever seen FOR A REASON. Other than that, he's a loser.

Is Donovan as good as he could be? No. Is he going to carry the team? Only once in a while (Ecuador hatrick and a good showing against Sweden). But the other great players, Dempsey, Bocanegra, and later on Adu and Altidore, will still depend on his experience and the fact that he's still our most potent weapon.

Cheers!

Posted by: Remembers | February 3, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Remembers: Your post said it all. Not one mention of anything at all against anyone outside Concacaf since 2002!!! Nothing!!!!! He needs to prove himself on the big stage like most of his teamates!! As far as I am concerned he should not start in our best 11!! Now the real questions are these. Can he be better? Absolutely!!! Can he play at the highest level? I believe he can! Will he decide to play at the highest level? No. because he is comfortable where he is and that is a shame for his team mates and the US soccer world!!! Will he help us get to the world cup in 2010? I hope he does but I also hope that Bob Bradley does not play him at all until he earns it!!!!!!

Posted by: usnavysrchief | February 3, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Why I hate Donovan . .

He stated last summer that he'd rather play for his club than in Copa America.

Copa America is on par with the European Championship as the second biggest Cup in the world---after the World Cup, of course.

To say you don't want to compete for that is a worse cop out than leaving Europe for your mama's bosom.

Granted, when he wears the US jersey, I'll cheer for him, but otherwise not so much.

Posted by: delantero | February 3, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

If Pat Noonan is a serious candidate for 2010, we are lost. If Pat Noonan is not a serious candidate for 2010l, what in the world is he doing on this roster? Slow, poor work rate, his best days behind him -- he is a symbol of the past. Keep him on the bench, BB!

Posted by: John Godfrey | February 3, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

If I hated Donovan (which I honestly don't) this is why I'd hate him:

Posted by: MemRook | February 3, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

HA HA! Thank you memrook, quite the fashion guru Fivehead has become.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 4, 2008 1:58 AM | Report abuse

Our Mex streak ends in Houston due to a pro-Mex crowd and BB bringing in guys either out of form or lack of competitive games. He brought guys from Europe who don't start or even play for their respective clubs yet he still calls them based on potential.
Mexico 3 USA 1

Posted by: tex | February 4, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

overall good roster...

but what is Noonan doing there. He is not at the national team level.

overall we have a better team than they do, I wish we shopped playing them ever year and concentrate on having more games in Europe.

Posted by: Joel | February 4, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

To usnavysrchief : When did Ecuador join CONCACAF? I guess it must have been after the last World Cup, but before Donovan schooled them so badly, in what was probably his best game?

Posted by: Fisch Fry | February 4, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse