Vanney-Kirk Trade Is Official

The league has stamped its approval: The trade is now official.

Quavas Kirk is scheduled to join United tomorrow for the first day of its 10-day California training camp. D.C. will play Chivas USA in Carson in a closed scrimmage Monday, then head north to face San Jose at Cal Poly SLO next Sunday.

"Quavas is a versatile player who has solid experience competing in our League," United GM Dave Kasper said. "He has terrific athletic qualities and approaches the game with energy and professionalism. We believe he will be a solid contributor for our club and are excited about his future at D.C. United."

I am still trying to figure out which rookies and trialists are still with the club and will share that information with you asap.

Galaxy defender Ty Harden's departure from MLS after one promising season is also official.

"My parents have worked for Goodwill for over 25 years, so it has been ingrained in me that helping others is something that we have been put on earth to do. It has always been part of my life and something that I wanted to do," Harden said. "I have loved soccer for a long time, but I have always loved helping people and doing things for others. I just got to the point where I felt there is more that I can do than just playing soccer."

By Steve Goff  |  February 15, 2008; 4:56 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kirk to DCU [updated]
Next: Weekend Kickaround

Comments

SG - Other than Josh Gardner, have you heard of any new trialists going to the California camp? It seems as if the senior roster trialists (Moose, Walker, now Gardner) are all battling for the last open spot. On the developmental roster, it seems as if Pat Carroll may be in good shape to grab a spot. Attar and Renfrow may be battling for the last open spot unless some other new rookies are brought into the fold.

Posted by: Zman | February 15, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

Do you know if the plan is still that Peralta rejoins the team in California, and if so, at what point in their California training is that supposed to happen?

thanks...

Posted by: seahawkdad | February 15, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------

Is Stratford still around? And aren't at least some of these people back in school for the nonce?

Posted by: 22201 | February 15, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Wow, the Western Conference is to DCU like the old Kansas City Athletics were to the New York Yankees. Gomez for a 1st and DP. Vanney for a GenAd fast and tall midfielder. Also, Jay Needham is trialing with LA, so if they want him Lalas will have to offer something up for that. 3 guys not in DCU's plans may help the team reload. MLS roster rules are bizarre, but take advantage of them when they are in your favor.

Posted by: griffin1108 | February 15, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

We're playing a college team? . . . Can I suit up?

Posted by: Hristo | February 15, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

College team??

Posted by: Goff | February 15, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I think he was confused by the comment that we're playing San Jose at Cal SLO.

Posted by: AlecW81 | February 15, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Hristo: bad joke - even for my tastes.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 15, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

32 days to the first home match!

PS Good news on the Vanney trade. Great upside at little cost.

Posted by: Curious | February 15, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff,

Thanks very, very much for reporting the happenings/transactions/rumors/possibilities, and such for MLS teams on the West Coast, also. I'm in California, and am an ardent Galaxy fan (I know folks - I know, everybody loves to hate the Galaxy... I know the Galaxy has been associated more with glitz, mini-tours, and ultra-expensive soccer games at the HDC... but, as a fan - I am hoping and praying like hell we don't end up in the bottom of Conference Table this year). But, being a very frustrated Galaxy fan is not easy, folks... from this side, we do NOT get quality, speedy, constant, reliable info from our blogs like you guys do. DC United is very, very lucky to have a jounalist as in the caliber of Steven Goff. Believe me when I say we "soccer nuts" out here in the West would totally be in the abyss if it weren't for diligent blog-sites like yours. Appreciate it!

Posted by: charlesj27 | February 15, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

lets hope he doesnt end up like last year's fast, tall, intriguing winger Casal. Although I guess he can't really go "back" to england..

Posted by: smith | February 15, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

22201 - IIRC, Stratford, Owens and Thorpe all returned to school for classes. I am guessing that they and the other draft picks (Schmitz, Cordeiro) seem like they should make the team as there are a bunch of developmental roster spots to fill. Pat Carroll, Attar and Renfrow are the undrafted trialists in camp.

Posted by: Eric Z | February 15, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Totally OT, but I love this quote from ESPN.com between ESPN's Derek Rae and PL spokesman Dan Johnson on the EPL's plans for total world domination:

"Rae: But should you not have spoken with the likes of the Australian Federation or the Asian Football Confederation or FIFA itself before coming out with plans like this? Would it not have been wiser to get them onside before making these plans?

Johnson: Well, we didn't leak the plans. The plans were leaked by someone else. We announced the plans."

Here's the link:

Posted by: Juan-John | February 15, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

It says something about mls salaries that hayden's leaving and will make more money at goodwill industries.

Posted by: hayden | February 15, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

==============

Dan Johnson's CV for the White House Press Secretary job.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | February 15, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

People have begun to discuss the roster structure. Here's what I have for us currently. I'm listing the players we know are on the senior roster, followed by those we know are developmental, followed by an "on the bubble" group (guys that could go either way, guys on trial, etc). I have absolutely no contacts on the team or in the press, so this could be error-strewn.

Senior roster (18 spots):
1. Gonzalo Peralta (foreign)
2. Marc Burch
3. Fred (foreign)
4. Marcelo Gallardo (foreign)
5. Luciano Emilio (foreign)
6. Jose Carvallo
7. Ben Olsen
8. Rod Dyachenko (green card)
9. Devon McTavish
10. Clyde Simms
11. Gonzalo Martinez (foreign)
12. Bryan Namoff
13. Franco Niell (foreign)
14. Jaime Moreno (green card)
15. Zach Wells
16. Domenic Mediate

Developmental roster (10 spots):
1. Jeff Carroll
2. Jerson Monteiro (green card)
3. Quavas Kirk (Generation Adidas)
4. James Thorpe (until another keeper shows up in camp, he's the only candidate to be third-string, so I include him here)

On the bubble:
1. Guy-Roland Kpene (foreign; no danger of being cut, just a question of senior or developmental)
2. Ryan Cordeiro (seems likely to get developmental spot)
3. Pat Carroll (seems likely to get developmental spot)
4. Brandon Owens (seems likely to get developmental spot)
5. Tony Schmitz (seems likely to get developmental spot)
6. Josh Gardner (is ineligible for developmental roster; must either earn one of 2 remaining senior spots)
7. Jamil Walker (is ineligible for developmental roster; must either earn one of 2 remaining senior spots)
8. Justin Moose (I believe he is ineligible for a developmental spot, and thus must win a senior contract; could be wrong)
9. Dan Stratford (foreign; seems likely to get a developmental spot, but is currently taking up the 8th foreign slot, which would mean he'd be the first to go if we signed any other foreign player)
10. Ardalan Attar (trialist; would he count as a foreign player?)
11. Grady Renfrow (trialist)

So, by my count, we have 2 senior spots, 6 developmental spots, and 7 signed foreign players out of 8.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | February 15, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Looks like DCU deleted the Poplar Point link from its stadium Web page:

Apologies if this has already been discussed.

Posted by: Juan-John | February 15, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Ty Harden you could never work for me. Greed is Good

Posted by: Gordon Gecko | February 15, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

I believe Goff noted that Kpene has a green card a few months ago.

Posted by: Doze | February 15, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Kpene holds a green card and also was a senior roster player who the management seem to like despite a lack of goal scoring - so he seems likely to get senior roster spot #17 - which leaves Moose/Walker/Gardner to battle for spot #18.

On the developmental side, J Carroll/Monteiro/Kirk have spots - Thorpe/Cordeiro/Schmitz/Owens/Stratford will likely get spots - DC tends to initially keep a lot of its draft picks (exlcuding Schramm) assuming they do not bolt to Europe. 2 spots left - Pat Carroll likely gets one - good camp coupled with good bloodlines. Between Renfrow and Attar, their fate may be dictated by who wins the last senior spot. If lefty Gardner gets it, Renfrow is likely gone since he is also a lefty plus Attar seems to be doing decent in his limited minutes per the game reports.

Posted by: Eric Z | February 15, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the heads-up about Kpene. I seem to have just forgotten that he was promoted early last season and got his green card. That means that Stratford is much more likely to make the team, and we need depth at defensive midfield.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | February 15, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smith | February 15, 2008 06:10 PM
-----------------------------------------------
Yeah, he went all the way "back" to sign for a Dutch 2nd division team... See

Posted by: edgeonyou | February 15, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Ty Harden you could never work for me. Greed is Good

Posted by: Gordon Gecko | February 15, 2008 06:48 PM
--------------------------------------------

Nor is he welcome in the PRC, where "to become rich is glorious."

Posted by: Deng Xiaoping | February 15, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't Ty Harden sound like the kinda player that would've fit into DC's standards? Not sure of his actual play, but he'd have been wonderful in the community. I could be wrong.

Posted by: Ryan from Baltimore | February 15, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

An old, out of contract player for an an up and coming youngster. Great trade for DC.

Posted by: LA does it again | February 15, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

The print edition's story on this is truly quirky.

Posted by: Curious | February 15, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Harden will work for a year and then join the Sounders. Not my idea..but Andrea C's guess.

I agree. And since I'm going to be a Seattle fan..that's good.

Posted by: Matt Y | February 15, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

"Doesn't Ty Harden sound like the kinda player that would've fit into DC's standards?"

Ryan, with all due respect to the great job DC does with helping its community, charity and service is something EVERY team in MLS devotes a great deal. A good-hearted MLS player isn't more naturally aligned to DC's values than to other teams. I know you meant it well, but your words imply that other teams aren't as devoted to encouraging their players to helping the community, and that's a vain and ignorant assumption that belittles the equally good work of EVERY team in MLS.

It's fair to say that Ty Hardin's interest in helping others is entirely consistent with the values MLS encourages in its players.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | February 15, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hayden | February 15, 2008 06:23 PM

It says something about Hayden's character that he realizes helping people is more important than money.

Posted by: boda united | February 16, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Is the MLS team in Seattle going to be the Sounders? They should take over the SuperSonic name... That would be the shizzzle for rizzzzle. Super Sonics vs. Galaxy sounds out of this world. Sir Mix vs. Snoop... Whehhhwwww!
I hope Burch is making a little more scrilla this season. I got you on a beer dog!
Vanney was pretty cool but he is a little old.

Posted by: dadryan | February 16, 2008 12:33 AM | Report abuse

I hear Jamil Walker has been impressing in FL. Let's hope he gets that final spot - I think the injury may have been a good thing for developing a player that is more than just a 'fast' player. He's got a lot of upside.

Posted by: Derby | February 16, 2008 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Steve:
Could you shed some light on the status of Quavas Kirk as an Adidas Generation Player? I am not familiar with the program, do they pay his salary? (third party ownership of players?)

Thanks

Posted by: futbol ink | February 16, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

ManU v. Arsenal is on Setanta. Yaks...

Posted by: td | February 16, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Jamil Walker should get the final roster spot, as long as he has fully recovered from his knee injury. Remeber that unlike some other promising forwards (Kpene) he has actually scored in MLS and his pace makes him a great super-sub for Moreno in games where we need a goal at the end.

Posted by: GoldenChild | February 16, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Great deal. Vanney is past the expiration date & this kid can play. Huge upside both offensively & defensively AND HE'S EFFEN HOT!!!!!

We're here! We're Queer! We're dousing you with beer!

UNITED! UNITED! QUEERS UNITED!!!!!

Posted by: DC QUEERS UNITED | February 16, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Have we officially upgraded Dyachanko? I don't seem to remember that happening.

Posted by: bluemeanies | February 18, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse