A New Stadium

That got your attention, didn't it? (A cruel trick on a Monday morning, my apologies.)

Just to brighten this gray day in the nation's capital, let's celebrate the opening of the new ballpark on the banks of the sparkling Anacostia. The home team opened their field of dreams with a dramatic victory, thanks to a game-winning strike by a former UVA player. (Ryan Zimmerman played at UVA, just like 24 current of former D.C. United players -- sign him up!)

Amid all the glowing, breathless prose in this morning's Washington Post about the Nationals' new home, the following words were used to describe Estadio RFK: "old and much-maligned", "decrepit", "dilapidated," "tired," and "decrepit" (again). Anyone got a spare wrecking ball?

As for the team that still plays at RFK, DCU remained in Kansas City yesterday and worked on conditioning in the hotel pool. Many of the players went to see the movie "21" last night -- perhaps they felt they'll need a little luck in Pachuca tomorrow. All 19 players who made the trip to K.C. are expected to board a charter today for the flight to Mexico. The club will have a light training session this evening and then prepare for the first leg of the Champions' Cup semifinal series Tuesday (10 p.m. ET, Fox Soccer Channel).

Other things you should know:

*Bermuda defeated the Cayman Islands, 3-1, on the road to win the series by a 4-2 aggregate and advance to the second round of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying, where they'll face Trinidad and Tobago in June. Congrats to Bermuda Coach Keith Tucker (the longtime Howard U. coach) and his assistant, Keith Tabatznik (the former Georgetown coach). Meantime, the Bahamas advanced on away goals even though it played both legs against the British Virgin Islands at home. The second-round pairings are set:

USA - Barbados
Guatemala - St. Lucia
Trinidad & Tobago - Bermuda
Antigua & Barbuda - Cuba
Belize - Mexico
Jamaica - Bahamas
Honduras - Puerto Rico
Canada - St. Vincent & The Grenadines
Grenada - Costa Rica
Surinam - Guyana
Panama - El Salvador
Haiti - Netherlands Antilles

*Read Grahame Jones's account of the Galaxy's humiliating loss at Colorado on Saturday. Some strong quotes from the beaten visitors.

*For Chelsea's benefit, Malaysia considers coming out from under its rock.

*Ronaldo's cheeky goal against Aston Villa:

By Steve Goff  |  March 31, 2008; 10:15 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday: DCU at K.C.
Next: USA Women's Roster Set

Comments

you're supposed to make fake announcements about the stadium tomorrow, Goff!

Posted by: pat | March 31, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Form the match report:
"...Gonzalo Peralta's apparent equalizer was repudiated by an offside call..."

"Repudiated"? I had to turn back to the front page to make sure I was reading the Sports section and not A. Keep this up and you'll have to hyperlink to an on-line dictionary.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 31, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

That was an awesome goal by Ronaldo.

Posted by: laur | March 31, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

"Argentine playmaker Christian Gomez, the league's most valuable player in 2006 and acquired by the Rapids in an off-season trade with D.C. United, was the best player on the field by a long way."

Better than Beckham. Better than Donovan. Better than Ruiz. But not worth DP money.

Sunday 5/4 3:00 pm.

Posted by: WNT fan | March 31, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

So, what's the recipe for flying into Mexico for a match?

Go as early as possible to adjust to altitude?

Don't go in (and stay in KC) to avoid potential ailments?

I've seen teams go both ways. Just curious what the rationale is....

Posted by: PotomacBoater | March 31, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

If Pachuca's stadium is at a zillion feet, why on earth spend an extra day training in Kansas bleeding City? Would not every precious day spent at altitude help the lungs acclimate?

Posted by: gringo | March 31, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

In regards to the LA article: Wow. Another questionable call by an MLS official. Shocking.

Posted by: MLS Reffing | March 31, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

That wasn't Ronaldo! He's fat and bald and playing in Italy.

Posted by: RK | March 31, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

PotomacBoater: I've seen both as well. I'd assume we'd prefer the former if we had more time before the KC game. However, since we don't I asume the latter :P

Posted by: strago | March 31, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

In response to gringo. If you can't arrive at the high elevation game site at least a week in advance to acclimate, then it is physiologically more sound to show up just prior to the match and play. Given the schedule united have they have chosen the better pathway. The larger problem to me is improving the interplay and communication between Gallardo and the stikers. They were not on the same page on saturday. But then again the entire team were unfocused in KC for understandable reasons. Lets face it, the champions cup is very significantly more important than is the opening league match in a league in which a rather unfortunate segment of the season is somewhat unimportant. KC wanted that match more than we did: an understandably human reaction by both sides.

Posted by: rob | March 31, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

BTW Colin Clarke embarrassed Xavier and LA for what should be the GOTW.

Posted by: RK | March 31, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I think this shunning by United is all Gomez needed to take his game to the next level. He's out to prove them wrong and so far he has. While I like gomez, I think this move was necessary and made everyone better. We needed a more consistent distributor and marshall of the midfield; and CO needs all the help they can get. Gomez gets his money and a fire lit under him to perform. Now we just have to shut him down when he plays us, lets hope benny is playing by then!

Posted by: DudeAbides | March 31, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Only 18k for Beckham and Opening Night? What happened to the hype machine?

I'm leading the Soccer Insiders league on fantasy MLS...first time for everything. Go Terry Cooke!

Posted by: RK | March 31, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Only 18k for Beckham and Opening Night? What happened to the hype machine?

-----

That's about capacity in Denver, no?

Posted by: Goff | March 31, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

gringo-

Acclimatization can take between 1-2 weeks, I believe. I don't think we had time to make any real difference by going yesterday.

Hopefully, we learned a lesson Saturday and will try to put the ball on the ground and keep possession. The only times we looked dangerous in KC was with slower build ups, while all of our attempts to hit it long saw us lose the ball immediately. Not only will that trend continue in Pachuca, but the long ball style involves a lot more running. If we don't try to possess the ball and slow the game down, we're going to struggle.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | March 31, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

That's great for Gomez. I'm glad to see that he's off to a good start in Colorado. I'm also glad that he got to dismantle the Galaxy, so that's great. Of course, he was also playing against possibly the worst defense in MLS history.

So, take it for what it's worth.

Posted by: TCompton | March 31, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Ug, it is only 18k...

Posted by: RK | March 31, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Standing in the new Nats stadium and looking across at Poplar Point I could only dream of how cool it would be (will be) to have a DCU stadium over there.

Posted by: Sean G | March 31, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Regarding the Grahame Jones' article: Imagine someone questioning an Okulaja PK call. Wow, has that ever happened before?

asitis

Posted by: asitis | March 31, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

RFK is indeed "old and much-maligned", "decrepit", "dilapidated," "tired," and "decrepit" (again)., but it's our old and much-maligned, decrepit, dilapidated, tired, and decrepit house, dammit.

(The DC Baseball Park does look nice.)

Ronaldo's pass to set up the Rooney goal was probably better than the Ronaldo goal.

Villa's really fallen apart.

Good for Keith T. He's a good guy.

Posted by: formerjournalhack | March 31, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Good old Grahame Jones getting the facts wrong again. It was substitue Ciaran O'Brien that received the red card for the late tackle on Ruiz. How anyone could have him confused with Omar Cummings is beyond me.

Glad to see Christian doing well...still wish he was wearing the Black & Red.

Posted by: DCU & VW | March 31, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Come on, it's not a post-game until Goff gives us his player ratings!

Posted by: Section 130 | March 31, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

No ratings this week -- press box sightlines were so poor in KC, it would be unfair to judge anyone over a full 90 minutes.

Posted by: Goff | March 31, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I saw the highlight video on mlsnet and I think it was fair play to Abby. You can see the Galaxy defender comes in at a slide and takes out the attacker's back leg, sending him off balance.

It's a good call and worthy of a PK.

Posted by: Sean M. | March 31, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

PK was terrible. Was a classic play where they way the defender went down it looked like he was going to foul him, but stopped short. If Okulaja waits a half second before blowing the whistle, no call is made.

Still, there was no excuse on the lack of effort on the last two goals. And at least if you are going to give up, dont get suspended for the next match. Xavier is showing his true colors.

Posted by: srfinger | March 31, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

when are they going to announce VW as the sponser??????

Posted by: chris | March 31, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

the player ratings are really simple:

KC 2 - DCU 0 - nuff said.

DC stunk up the joint.

Posted by: bobf | March 31, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Rapids-Galaxy:

It was nice to be at a packed Dick's. Sold Out. Great atmosphere but too quiet. I wish we could figure out how to teach Americans to sing (I'm American and I hate the traditional American sports chants that last for 30 seconds).

I was at the August 26th Rapids-Galaxy game. The place was full of Beckham jerseys -- and he didn't come to the game (that was fine, we kicked their $%*@! then, too!) On Saturday night I saw few Galaxy jerseys. Loads of Rapids kit -- a crowd there to support their team (and, yes, to see Becks).

Our section was completely Rapids fans. I don't think anyone around us thought that was a PK.

Becks made some awesome kicks -- no one at the receiving end to do anything with the ball, and Bouna was great in goal.

Regarding Grahame Jones's LA Times article, Cummings did not make the tackle on Ruiz. Cummings had a great game and scored a goal. He was pulled off later in the game. Ciaran O'Brien made the bad scissors tackle on Ruiz -- Ciaran entered the game late and it was his first game. He was the Rapids first pick in the super draft. Not too impressed by the LA Times not getting that right. The tackle was unfortunate, too say the least. The game was almost over and the decision was clear -- hence the reason Landon was furious. O'Brien was playing in his first game and wasn't out on the pitch very long -- probably overflowing with adrenaline. 1st game -> Red Card = OUCH!!

Posted by: PH | March 31, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I'll say this about the PK call: if the striker goes down and stays down, chances are more refs than Abby would have made the call. The striker, to his credit, tried to stay alive. He definitely lost whatever edge and position he had as a result of the defenders actions to the back of his legs. But his ability to quickly return to play made the call look suspect.

I DID NOT, however, see the contact (if any) up close.

Are those ridiculing the call saying he didn't foul him? Didn't touch him?

Posted by: JkR | March 31, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I just opened my dead-tree version of the Post, and I found the MLS standings at the bottom of page E12, presented in a manner that made it look like a single table. Then I looked more closely and saw that the Eastern and Western Divisions were run together. An additional tip for the Postie who is responsible for that page: Goal differential should be used to sort teams that are even on points. Thus, for instance, New England should be at the top of the East.

Posted by: tri-village | March 31, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

------
I hear you. Our national supporters also need to develope some nice songs with long tune that gives people chilling effect when they hear... not just usa usa usa...
PK. that ref should be fined or banned for a few games for judgment like that.

Posted by: td | March 31, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Re: Altitude. There's no advantage to just a day or two of acclimatizing. They shoould have blood doped. Couple IV bags, a centrifuge, a hematocrit of 50% or so and voila, no altitude problems.

Posted by: Floyd Landis | March 31, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Or, Floyd, they could just go with coca leaves.

Posted by: gringo | March 31, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Or, Floyd, they could just go with coca leaves.
=========================================

Has anyone pointed this out to Blatter? It was good enough for the pope (at least the last one):

Posted by: tri-village | March 31, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

as we voted for a seattle name, can we vote the galaxy administrators out of office?

not sure how much longer they (galaxy honchos) can pretend that the galaxy are a team... if beckham were to leave at the end of the year (he's got too much class to leave during the season) I wouldn't blame him. He would be better off playing on a real futbol team... not a circus.

Posted by: dan | March 31, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Dear Floyd:

This brings me to a question I've had for some time re. MLS and international soccer too. What's the deal with steroids and doping in futbol? As a cycling fan, I've seen my sport get dragged through the mud, yet you _never_ hear about soccer players getting caught. There's enough money in this sport that a little edge to out-muscle or out run your opponent would be very tempting. Does MLS test? Does FIFA, UEFA or EPL? If they did test, surely SOMEONE would get caught from time to time.
It feels like a don't ask don't tell unwritten policy.

I asked this question to Ben Olsen during the chat last week and he elected not to answer it.

Goff - I think there is a good story here.

Insiders: what's your take? Does it happen? With what frequency? Why don't you hear about it?

Posted by: David | March 31, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

"I find it hard not to criticize some of the decisions tonight, but I've been told I'll be fined if I do," Beckham said. "I don't really want that to happen. Referees have got a tough job, we all know that, but certain decisions change games and I think that has happened tonight."

Don't they fine MLS players something like $100. Beckham saying he is worried about a fine from the MLS is kind of funny.

Posted by: CD | March 31, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

David,

I'm a cycling fan too. Was a Cat 2 for awhile back in the day . . .

I'm sure every sport at it's highest level has doping issues. Cycling has characteristics as a sport that make it a prime candidate for doping--it's primarily an endurance sport (steroids, doping, EPO, etc. all can improve performance) and less a skill sport like futbol (where these drugs/techniques would have less of a direct influence on the outcome.)

Having said that, improving endurance and strength in footballers would most certainly help players. Whether or not they they can softly trap a driven cross or pick out a corner of a goal at 30 yards would be harder to directly correlate to performance enhancing drugs.

Posted by: Michael Rasmussen | March 31, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Do the quakes really only have 15 guys on their Roster?

Posted by: San Jose | March 31, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I think we all realize that contact in the penalty box is treated differently than contact over the rest of the field. I think if a referee is going to call a penalty kick, the defender really has to earn it. Was the tackle a little reckless? Of course. Did he make contact? Maybe. Was it worth a penalty kick? No. Did I enjoy seeing the Galaxy self-destruct? Absolutely.

Posted by: MLS Reffing | March 31, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

"Insiders: what's your take?"

My take is that you're taking the remark too seriously.

=================

"Beckham saying he is worried about a fine from the MLS is kind of funny."

He's the team captain and has to set an example. If he mouthed off after game 1, what authority would he have to control his teammates' tempers on the field?

======

"Do the quakes really only have 15 guys on their Roster?"

Why do they need more if the whole team is on EPO, HGH, and steroids?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 31, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Embarassing Galaxy aside, Okulaja is the worst ref in MLS by far, and that was not a penalty. Wish MLS would make Pierluigi Collina their next big signing.

If you think the American player base is a little light, just think how bad the American referee base is. I am surprised they haven't used CONC standbys like Carlos Batres and Peter Pendergast yet to fill in.

Posted by: AM | March 31, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Watching LA's destruction took away a bit of the pain from watching us get beat by KC. Their defense is even more Swiss-cheesy this year than it was last year. And now they don't have Cannon to bail them out anymore. I guess this is what happens when you pay most of your cap space to 2 or 3 guys.

I thought the PK was a little bit weak, but I have to say that when I saw Xavier flying in there I was ready to yell PK until Cummings bounced up so fast. So I would cut Abbey a little bit of slack on that one. However, I'm not sure the foul on Ruiz really deserved a send off. Yeah, it was reckless and it is too bad he is really hurt for once but I didn't see all that much contact. Caution for sure though. But why nothing for Donovan for racing 30 yards to shove the guy in his chest and face? Was at least a caution not warranted there?

Max seemed to think LA would be favored over SJ on Thursday night, but I'm not sure why anyone would say that. SJ may not have too much scoring punch, but I think they will have a pretty solid defense. And against the "Super Club" they won't need much of an offense. I know where I will be Thursday night...

Posted by: Glenn | March 31, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

David,

Yes, I believe that most European leagues test (don't know about MLS). Several high profile cases include Rio Ferdinand from Manchester United - suspended 8 months for refusing/not showing up to take his drug test - Jap Stamm, Dutch defender playing in Italy at the time was suspended for doping. It happens but there are so many players (versus cycling's elite) and so few cases of people getting caught that it isn't a huge story. Italy has been out in front of this issue but most of the "story" seems to have been dealt with a couple years ago after the really ugly scenes from cycling and Olympics showed the pervasiveness of doping.

Posted by: DC Fan | March 31, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

sure we all love to complain about how bad MLS refs are, but you can find something to complain about with refs in every league in the world. Look at how many there are in the EPL like Stiles and Bennett and Mike Riley who are either weak or self-important showboats.

Now I won't disagree about Okulaja being the worst, and his continued employment by MLS and USSF is baffling. But we don't have a monopoly when it comes to this subject.

Posted by: Glenn | March 31, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MLS Reffing | March 31, 2008 03:53 PM

Say what you will about the reffing, but it was Xavier's fault 100% - If you are dumb enough to go 2 footed from behind in the box, you deserve the PK. I hate to defend Abby, but the poor judgement is all on Xavier, the center HAS to make the call when someone goes in 2 footed from behind, regardless of where it was in the field.

Posted by: soyinocente | March 31, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

San Jose roster (yep, there's only 15 of 'em):

Is there some story behind this? It's not as if they didn't have ample lead time. Toronto didn't have this problem last year, did they? Also, I vaguely recall that in its early years, on occasions when United was hit with a rash of injuries and/or national team callups, it brought in players from Richmond and elsewhere in lower leagues under special one-game contracts. Is this still permitted?

Posted by: tri-village | March 31, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

GOFF WHAT UJ THINK OF BRADLEY TRYING KCs MICHEAL HARRINGTON HES A BEAST IN DA US TEAM RONALDOS GOAO WAS CLEVER BUT IVE SEEN BETTER WHAT THINK A OF A TEAM IN CONNECTICUT ? LOTTA GOOD PLAYERS LOOK JOHAN SMITH

Posted by: BRIDGEPORT F.C. | March 31, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

See what happens when you work from Starbucks?

Posted by: Decaf latte | March 31, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Bridgeport FC has truly mastered the English language.

Posted by: National Literacy | March 31, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

For anyone who would think of expressing him/herself using all caps: When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Posted by: tri-village | March 31, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MLS Reffing | March 31, 2008 03:53 PM

===========

Are you saying he didn't foul him / didn't touch him?

I'm trying to understand. I have not seen a close up, so I have no idea. I saw the defender go in from behind, and break up a scoring chance 6 yards from goal.

Saying it's not penalty isn't the same...

Posted by: JkR | March 31, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tri-village | March 31, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Greetings from Denver. Just moved out from DC.

First, Dick's sporting goods park puts RFK to shame (the stadium, but definately not the crowd). It's an awesome venue. A little small, but great sight lines from anywhere in the stadium, great concessions, free parking (!), and the video replay board is huge.

I went to the LA match, and also watched the inter-squad pre-season match last week. It was clear a lot of the folks there on Sat were there to see Beckham. The crowd is generally quiet and not-so-educated (at least, that was the case where I was sitting). Some of the crowd, though, was very active and regularly boo-ed Donovan whenever he got near the ball. (which wasn't very often... it was like he was in a national team match or something... he just disappeared).

I think the PK call was really stupid. I think it technically was a foul, but not something that should have been awarded. In fact, it took everyone a bit to realize the ref had made a call cause most folks just saw the attacker pop up and continue the play. But the other goals were all legit, and LA's attack was just a joke. All in all,though, that ref was really bad. He made a number of calls in the first half on Beckham's side of the field that were just silly.

Anyway, look out MLS. The Rapids are legit, and with Gomez on the field, they look really sharp. (And, I think, Gomez looks like he's in the best shape i've seen him in ever).

Posted by: Hacksaw | March 31, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Wow, its going to be a LOOOOOOOOONG season for LA. Beckham is going to hate it!!! (eek!)

I hate seeing teams get worse, but I think LA needs fresh new faces. Its terrible what happened to Ruiz, like him or dislike him, he is good when he plays right. Poor LA... lol!

Posted by: Felix | March 31, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Hacksaw: So for whom will you be rooting when the Rapids and United clash?

Posted by: tri-village | March 31, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

I can't find any mention of a replay for the first leg against Pachuca, on comcast this week, could they possibly be showing it on Wednesday?
Also what's up with no local broadcast of the "home opener".
Am I missing something?
Is it worth getting the MLSlive tv thing or what?
I suppose missing the first leg wil be tolerable with the ChampsLeague coverage...

Posted by: Dadryan | March 31, 2008 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Dadryan,

Comcast doesn't have the rights to the Concacaf Champions Cup, so I don't think you'll find it there. You can watch it on www.tvunetworks.com, channel 21500.

Posted by: Glaucon | April 1, 2008 12:22 AM | Report abuse

If you think the American player base is a little light, just think how bad the American referee base is. I am surprised they haven't used CONC standbys like Carlos Batres and [b]Peter Pendergast[/b] yet to fill in.

Posted by: AM | March 31, 2008 04:29 PM
-------------------------------------------
AAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH!!!! Quick, get the garlic, stakes and Holy Water! Prendergast was just mentioned!!!

All joking aside, Prendergast makes Okulaja look like Collina. Ol' Pete may be the worst official ever in the history of the game, and when you consider some of the Mr. Magoos out there, that is saying something...

Posted by: Throwin | April 1, 2008 1:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: AM | March 31, 2008 04:29 PM
-------------------------------------------

Posted by: Throwin | April 1, 2008 1:54 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Glaucon
I have a Mac and I don't have a ton of computer know how. Is there a way for me to get some sort of live stream of the Pachuca game with my set up?
Anyone?

Posted by: Dadryan | April 1, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

ledger - best drugstore choose / sorry if i mistake this field

Posted by: ledger | April 5, 2008 2:28 AM | Report abuse

adult-diapers , adult-diaper

Posted by: diaper | April 19, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

adult-diapers , adult-diaper

Posted by: diaper | April 19, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

adult-diapers , adult-diaper

Posted by: diaper | April 19, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

(_._)

Posted by: Kyle | August 15, 2008 12:54 AM | Report abuse

This is a very informative site.

Posted by: Casandra | August 16, 2008 12:54 AM | Report abuse