Another Facundo in MLS?

That would be forward Facundo Sava, 33, who has been scoring at a high rate for Racing in Argentina the last two years and had previously passed through Fulham and Celta Vigo. Though his price would be rather steep, I'm hearing that three MLS teams have expressed some level of interest, including Columbus. I'm guessing San Jose has taken a look as well. Sava is known for pulling a mask out of his sock after scoring and putting it on.

A sample of his goal-scoring prowess:

By Steve Goff  |  March 15, 2008; 12:37 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Walker Waived and Lots More News
Next: The USA's Dilemma

Comments

Well, now that muddies the Olympic qualifying situation. Guatamala has beaten Mexico 2-1 (Mexican players have GOT to learn how to keep their shots on net, not killing pigeons), and either they or Haiti(!?!?!) will win the group. Mexico MUST beat Haiti in their finale or they are toast. Canada still has an outside shot, but they must hammer Guatamala to gain an advantage on goal difference and hope Mexico and Haiti tie. Meanwhile, the US doesn't have a clue as to whether there is an advantage to finishing first or second in their group. Who'da thunk it?

Posted by: Throwin | March 15, 2008 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Goff workin late again. Excellent reporting. When are the Loyalist going to get Mobile alerts of when you post.

Posted by: The Jim | March 15, 2008 2:07 AM | Report abuse

Throwin, I read your post and was hoping you were kidding since I wasn't able to watch the matches. As if qualifying weren't "interesting" enough...

Posted by: sitruc | March 15, 2008 4:44 AM | Report abuse

one of my bros told me that many soccer players are seeking hot & sexy girls on billionairefriends.com, where the wealthy and the beauty mingle. OMG!! what do they wanna do ? just for fun or serious?

Posted by: jack | March 15, 2008 6:25 AM | Report abuse

Hey - sorry to be a bit off topic, but isn't that ShamrockFest rock concert thing this weekend at RFK? is there concern that could damage the field in any way prior to Tuesday's game?

Posted by: FC | March 15, 2008 7:20 AM | Report abuse

It's outside the stadium, not inside

Posted by: Anonymous | March 15, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Is this guy Facundo Erpen's brother? :)

Posted by: Tron | March 15, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Is this guy Facundo Erpen's brother :)

Posted by: Tron | March 15, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Is this guy Facundo Erpen's brother :)

Posted by: Tron | March 15, 2008 09:11 AM

If it were up to Miles maybe the 2 Facundos would be brothers

Posted by: 135 | March 15, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

he'd be a good pickup for the league. Good finisher, exciting. If he's asking a lot of money, is Columbus considering using it's DP on him? If they do, how would that sit with GBS?
I wish Chicago would toss Barrett into the lake and sign Sava.

Posted by: papa bear | March 15, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Steve, is there any word about whether the interest is being returned?

If so, and the migration to the north thus continues, our secondary national team to support wears a light blue jersey :-)

Posted by: seahawkdad | March 15, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Steve. Now I'll be singing "Neun und Neunzig Luftballon." I wish I knew the rest of the lyrics to break up the repetition.

Thanks a lot.

To return the favor of infectious pop tunes:
I'm walking on sunshine
Oh yeah
An don't it feel good!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 15, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Hey, the more quality players in the league, the better. I am starting to really enjoy this argentine influence. Isn't it interesting that DC really seems to start these trends, and then, a couple of years later, everybody copies them?

Posted by: Great! | March 15, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Sava would be a good compliment to Guillermo Barros Schelotto, as he excels in the air (not so much with the ball at his feet), but any team willing to pay DP for him is absolutely loco!

Posted by: Uncle Jason | March 15, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Steve: Your paper says today that FIFA has ruled that all new stadia have uniform field size of 105 x 68 YARDS. Surely these dimensions are in METERS. A 68 yard wide field is awfully narrow for the beautiful game.

Posted by: Hedbal | March 15, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

That's a sniper! I particularly note the breakaway at 3:00, wherein Sava scores the goal that Robbie Findlay somehow screwed up on Thursday. Any MLS team would do well to add this guy. I'm sure United has no cap room left, right?

I-270 -- interesting that you picked Walking on Sunshine. If memory serves the the original version of each of these songs came out stateside in Sept. 1983. (Nena had a hit, while Katrina had to wait a year or more for a domestic release, with horns added). I always link these two songs, and I'm happy to have the melodies buzzing around my head.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | March 15, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Now SAVA is the guy that MLS really wants from Racing, not the has-been Reinaldo Navia.

Funny if Dallas gets stuck with Navia (as rumored) while Columbus or San Jose get the real Racing star--Facundo Sava.

Posted by: Shmenge | March 15, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Just for you FischFry:

Neunundneunzig Luftballons:

Ninety-nine Red Baloons:

Treten auf Sonnenschein (accept no imitation!):

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 15, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

any thoughts on the 8 international players/team and its affect on the american futboler?

I can only imagine that raising the level of play will make the US player that much better.

Great stuff every day! keep up the good work.

Posted by: dan | March 15, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Wow - Sava to Columbus? That would destroy Racing, who is already struggling. They are relegation candidates even though they are one of the top 5 clubs in Argentina (popularity wise - it was Peron's club and the stadium is named after him). On the one hand, I would be SHOCKED to see the club let him go, but there is a HUGE but.

Racing is in bankruptcy protection, and trustees are running the club to ensure its debtors get their money back. The reason the club hasn't been able to compete for the last few seasons is because they are forced to sell their good players when they have the opportunity. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't believe it. But.... Looks like Racing is going down.

Posted by: Lost in BA | March 15, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Sava is nice. He will score a lot more goals than piojo playing the same position, and cost significantly less as well. He is the Racing player that KC should have gone after as he will prove to be a better value.

Posted by: Nick | March 15, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse