Earth Watch

*For those of you tired of watching the U.S. national team play Mexico, Sweden and Poland, you are in for a treat this summer. (No, I'm not talking about the showdown with Barbados or Dominica in June, although I know you are fired up for the start of World Cup qualifier.) We know the Americans will play at Spain. And we learned this week that plans are close to being finalized for friendlies against England at Wembley (May 28) and Argentina at Giants Stadium (June 8). Not bad, eh?

Anyone out there (not affiliated with the USSF) planning to attend all three matches?

*The David Beckham tour continues in Asia, but the star of the show is the fishy one, Carlos Ruiz. Watch the moving pictures below. On a side note, might Beckham earn his 100th cap for England three days before the Galaxy's regular season opener?

By Steve Goff  |  March 6, 2008; 10:49 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Sweeps Doubleheader
Next: Olympic Preparation

Comments

Beckham's touch is sick.

Posted by: Joe Doc | March 6, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Both passes that lead to the first goal were perfect. The first one to Beckham was an easy one, but was put exactly where it needed to be. Of course, Beckhams cross was sweet. One touch right to the head of Ruiz. Well done.

Posted by: voyager | March 6, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

the galaxy has already earned a trophy and the season hasn't started.

seriously, why do these promoters feel the need to give out an enormous piece of hardware for these exhibition matches? it's ridiculous- do they not realize this?

Posted by: mb | March 6, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I'll be at the England-USA match.

Hoping Becks will get his 100th then @ Wembley infront of the home fans and not in Paris.

Looks like cracking and testing matches for the US this summer.

btw Becks set up for Ruiz 1st goal = a touch of class. Ruiz looks lethal :) and some of the drafties/rookies quite good. Better times ahead!

Posted by: Ben | March 6, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

""Beckham's touch is sick.""

I'll second that. Nice soft cross for Ruiz.

Posted by: Troy Perkins | March 6, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

As a US fan, how hard would it be to get tickets to the game vs England at Wembley?

Posted by: wembley | March 6, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

My only option to attend is to Giants Stadium and I think I will treat myself to that trip to watch Messi, Tevez, Aguero, Maxi and of course Riquelme. I wish US has that star quality but I hope to see Adu flashing!

Posted by: td | March 6, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

All those June Fifa dates might make trouble for some of the stars of MLS.

United has matches on May 29 and June 4, so I can't imagine Bob Bradley would take any United players to those Eng and Spain friendlies.

I'd imagine the US squad will rely heavily on US players who are out-of-season with their foreign clubs.

Posted by: Clashing calendars | March 6, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I'll see Spain and England, but kind of doubt I'll fly back for a game in NY. If they were hosting it in DC, of course, I'd find a way...

Posted by: troy | March 6, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

ill go to NY to watch the USA-ARGENTINA game with my Argentina Jersey sorry guys

Posted by: Marcelo Gallardo | March 6, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

The Yanks are busy this summer.

Posted by: The jim | March 6, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I can't imagine Bradley taking any United players to England/Spain even if we didn't have any games that week?! There just aren't any US 'A' internationals on our roster at the moment.

Posted by: cs | March 6, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Troy -- did you make Algarve yesterday??

Posted by: WNT fan | March 6, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

How do you think the New York Red Bulls will finish in 2008? Win MLS Cup 42%
Make Conference Finals 24%
Make Playoffs 25%
Miss Playoffs 9%

I saw that in their website what a joke LOL

Posted by: 135 | March 6, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

i have been arranging all my travel plans so i can hit both england and spain - what a trip this should be

Posted by: bruce | March 6, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mb | March 6, 2008 11:09 AM

Amen, brother

Posted by: BK | March 6, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Man, as a United supporter, that first goal is what scares me about the Beckham-Ruiz duo. Last year, Becks really had no one to target up front, no headhunter who could really put the ball away. Play like that though? That's dangerous...

Posted by: Andy | March 6, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

C'mon guys. It's fine if we get trophies for friendlies. Remember how good you felt when you got the participation trophies at the end of the year banquet in your youth rec league days? We're just building confidence...

Posted by: Alexi Lalas | March 6, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I did. I posted scores as they happened on yesterday's "Harbouring Thoughts" thread. The coverage and the score don't reflect the dominance of the game. The Chinese truly had difficulty getting the ball past midfield. Barnhart needed to make only one save in the game by my count, although she also stopped a point-blank shot by a striker who was about 15 meters offsides. You could see the frustration build in the Chinese team; the wheels just fell off at about 60 minutes.

The ladies hit the crossbar twice and had several other opportunities. Blogosphere idiots who said the WNT was slow haven't seen the pace of some of these players. Many players got minutes as there was no apparent limitation on subs. Besides the obvious stars, Heath, Kai, and Chalupny (spelling? I don't have my match report with me at the moment) all looked good.

I brought my daughter to the match, so I couldn't post as much as I would otherwise have done. I'll miss Friday's game against Italy, but I'll be at Monday's against Norway. If they make the final, I'll go to that as well on Wednesday.

Finally, it may not be directly of interest, but the players couldn't have been nicer to my daughter. They all came over to chat with her and sign autographs. Such a change from the millionaire egos and attitude problems in the mens professional game.

Speaking of which, Benfica-Getafe tonight in UEFA Cup! Hey, just because they are obnoxious millionaires doesn't mean I won't go see them play. The late game is why I won't be down in the Algarve tomorrow.

Posted by: troy | March 6, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: td | March 6, 2008 11:17 AM
---------

Don't hold your breath for that combo to be on the field. They are playing Mexico on the 4th, the US on the 8th, then a week later play Ecuador and Brazil in WCQ.

Posted by: Lost in BA | March 6, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Ely Allen looks a great pick up.

Posted by: Richard, UK | March 6, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Terrific, thanks. Look forward to your continuing coverage . . . .

"Blogosphere idiots who said the WNT was slow haven't seen the pace of some of these players." Good stuff.

Interesting how many of the post-game quotes used the words "fun" and "exciting" to describe the game and Pia's scheme.

Posted by: WNT fan | March 6, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

What a great weekend to go up to NY, visit friends, and take in a great game (hopefully with Demichelis from Bayern Munich playing).

Posted by: Juliet | March 6, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Well, from the League's standpoint, any pairing of Beckham/Ruiz, Beckham/Donovan, or Donovan/Ruiz would be a very good thing to hear.

I actually hope that LA is better this year. The same goes for NY. It makes beating them and knocking them out of the post season that much more thrilling.

Posted by: TCompton | March 6, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

are they going to put in grass at giants stadium for the game? can they do it for all of mls season until nfl peseason?

Posted by: pat | March 6, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I will be at the USA vs Argentina match if it happens. Let's just hope they field the real deal.

Posted by: Argentina Fan | March 6, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Why Yes! I plan to be at all three of those USMNT frendlies this summer!

Wait, what's that?

OK, I'm now being told that no, in fact I won't be at any of those friendlies.

Posted by: Dave Obrien | March 6, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I watched most of that LA match. Was that supposed to be an All-Star team they were playing?

Posted by: sitruc | March 6, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I don't think we'll have to worry about Pescadito. The Gonzalo's will put him on his ass before he can make it into the Penalty Area.

Posted by: AlecW81 | March 6, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: td | March 6, 2008 11:17 AM
___________________________________________

Well for sure, you wont see messi. He's out for close to 6 months for the injury he suffered against celtic.

But on beck's, good job. He had an awsome cross, something that shows he still has his touch, and with RUIZ a proven finisher Gal's may be very dangerous this year.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | March 6, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

WHOOPS! Misread, its suspected close to 6 weeks aka 2 months. So never mind Messi probably has the chance to play. Excuse my reading competence blunder.:(

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | March 6, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

troy, Getafe is the "working man's" team of Madrid, though...and Benfica has some American on it, so there's something for everyone...

Posted by: RK | March 6, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Ruiz also scored earlier off a beautiful Beckham cross that was errantly called offsides. Replays clearly show Ruiz onside by a yard before the pass. Should've been 4-0.

Posted by: G$ | March 6, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ben | March 6, 2008 11:12 AM

LOL! The Gals were playing a semi-pro team. USL Div II would have been stiffer competition. The Gals are a pub team. No playoffs for you.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 6, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Our second favorite WaPo "journalist", Marc Fisher, is doing his regular on-line chat and I was surpised to see it described thusly:
"Potomac Confidential fills the midday lull with discussion by Metro columnist Marc Fisher who looks at the latest news with a rigorous slicing and dicing of the issues that define who we are and where we live."

Most folks here would never accuse Mr. Fisher of being burdened by notions of rigor in his reportage. Oddly enough, a mere day after his steaming blog about "DC and Fenty calling United's bluff", not one question was fielded about said post. Hmmm, I know the Post maintains editorial control of these discussions and can answer whatever questions they want, but c'mon - FOUR questions about parking at the Nats new stadium, and not a single one about the Poplar Point development, when United's owner HIMSELF posted a response to your blog? That's just weak...

Posted by: Poking the Bear | March 6, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Nice hat trick by Ruiz.

:gag:

Man, those are hard words to type. That's what's so frustrating about the guy--when he stays on his feet and just plays the game, he is very, very good. And entertaining to watch.

But when he gets all chippy and pissy and straps on the roller skates entering the penalty area and lets his elbows fly when the refs aren't looking and decides he'd rather open a restaurant in El Salvador than play for his team...

:grrr:

I look forward to seeing how his season progresses, as well as what United's Gonzalos do against him. With quality service from Beckham and the shifty play of an in-form Donovan, LA may very well have the best cure for a shaky defense this season.

Posted by: Stevan in Gaithersburg | March 6, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

If USA-England were on a weekend, I'd think about going.

Posted by: Juan-John | March 6, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------------------

GOOD! Because i couldn't care less if someone on DC United is playing for the US National team and in a busy year for the US this is important.

While other teams like Houston will be decimated by call ups, and drop points as a result we can just keep on winning games and repeat winning the Supporters Shield.

Posted by: gm | March 6, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Excellent match-ups for the US, I believe Argentina will play some of their big stars in order to get them ready for those qualifiers. Even if they don't they have so much talent that it should be a tough match for the US.

Off Topic:
A lot of good matches in the UEFA Cup, a tournament I like watching because you don't often see some teams from Scandinavia or east Europe and can be, at times, very entertaining;

Tottenham vs. PSV
Fiorentina vs. Everton
Rangers vs. Werder Bremen
Benfica vs. Getafe
Leverkusen vs Hamburg
Marseille vs Zenit St.P
Bolton vs. Sporting
Anderlecht vs B. Munich

Posted by: Red Devil | March 6, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Fisher is weak. He chose to run with that headline and post factually incorrect (or at the very least poorly researched) material. Now he goes live and has the chance to answer his readers one on one, he ducks for cover.

Like my old man used to say..."You can't open a can of worms and expext one worm to come crawling out"

Posted by: Chico | March 6, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Final tally -
Nats questions: 9
Capitals questions: 1
DC United/Poplar Point questions: 0

Not that I expected otherwise. It's nice to see the Caps get a mention, since undervalued DC sports franchises (read anyone but the 'Skins) need to stick together, but at least Fisher promises to enlighten us with a scintillating article about the "death of Smooth Jazz Radio in DC" come Sunday. How oh HOW will I sleep until then (especially since, ya know, smooth jazz radio is no longer in DC)

Posted by: The bear is dead... | March 6, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

it was an all-star SECOND division team that the Galaxy played in China!

Posted by: jc Rome | March 6, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Re USA v Argies I am just dreaming

Posted by: td | March 6, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

You can't open a can of worms and expext one worm to come crawling out"
Expext chico? conme on! you write in the BB website hahahahahaha

Posted by: 135 | March 6, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

conme on?!

hee hee...

Posted by: Chico | March 6, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know how to get tix if England-USA game is on?

Posted by: SEP | March 6, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stevan in Gaithersburg | March 6, 2008 01:16 PM
-----------------------------------------------

Why would I open a restaurant in El Salvador when I'm from Guatemala City?

Posted by: Carlos Ruiz | March 6, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know how to get tix if England-USA game is on?
=========================================

The logical starting point would be with U.S. Soccer:

Posted by: tri-village | March 6, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

This is absolutely fantastic. Spain and England _away_, plus Argentina... This will truly put us to the test, and it's about time. I _am_ sick of playing Mexico in the US. This is an opportunity to show the world how good we really are. (or how bad). I can't wait!

I'll guess the results:
Spain 3, USA 1.
England 1, USA 1.
Argentina 1, USA 2.

Am I drinking too much red white and blue Kool Aid?

Posted by: Amanda | March 6, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Will the March 18 match be promoted at all by the Front Office?

Posted by: Harbour View FC | March 6, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

You are correct, RK, but adu is in olympic qualifying and won't be there. I'd root for getafe if they were playing anyone else, but not my benfica

Posted by: troy | March 6, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Right again RK. Just met a bunch of getafe fans outside stadium. Tough SOBs, spoiling for a fight.

Posted by: troy | March 6, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I'll be at the USA v. England game at Wembley.
I'm in England May 24-31st.

Posted by: DeKo21DCU | March 6, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

So the US is at Spain on June 4 (http://ussoccer.com/schedule/index.jsp.html) and then home for Argentina on June 8? Really?

Posted by: McBride | March 6, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Will the March 18 match be promoted at all by the Front Office?

--------

There have been ads in the print edition of The Post in recent weeks.

Posted by: Goff | March 6, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Argentina 1, USA 2.

Am I drinking too much red white and blue Kool Aid?

Posted by: Amanda | March 6, 2008 02:28 PM

Are you on crack?

Posted by: Messi | March 6, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

"Will the March 18 match be promoted at all by the Front Office?

Posted by: Harbour View FC | March 6, 2008 02:39 PM
***********************************

I hope the team promotes it, too. Only a small percentage of sports fans will understand the significance of the game so some educational outreach / promotion would help.

I believe I saw in ad in the Post sports page within the past couple days (just checked today's and didn't see anything).

Posted by: garbaggio | March 6, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Why would I open a restaurant in El Salvador when I'm from Guatemala City?

Posted by: Carlos Ruiz | March 6, 2008 02:20 PM
-----------------
Because it was a Hooters! Don't you remember!?
Too many headers, campádre. ;-)

Posted by: Stevan in Gaithersburg | March 6, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Not that anyone cares, but getafe is up on benfica 2-0. Cardozo got red carded at 9 minutes and it has been a struggle since. Benfica just put one off the crossbar. I mourn.

Posted by: troy | March 6, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I hope to go to the one in Madrid and the one at Giants Stadium. Will be leaving Spain sometime in early June so it's doable.

Posted by: Scott A | March 6, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse