Guevara and DCU Updates

The latest on the Amada Guevara saga:

From one of his reps: "Amado will not be joining MLS at this time. The MLS made a concerted effort to see that Amado rejoin the league and we were able to reach an agreement but unfortunately certain obligations could not be met within the requested time period and unfortunately this means that Amado will stay with Motagua until the end of their current season. Amado does hope to return to MLS during the summer transfer period."

*Defender-midfielder Dane Murphy (Virginia) and goalkeeper James Thorpe (Franklin Pierce) have signed developmental contracts. Talks continue with Cezar, but I assume he will sign and receive a senior roster slot. That would leave the final developmental slot for either Brandon Owens or Jeff Curtin.

*Jaime Moreno participated in workouts again and is getting closer to being available if not Saturday than Tuesday at Pachuca. He says he is 80 percent, up 10 percent from Tuesday. Curtin (groin) jogged on the side while Ben Olsen (ankles) worked out inside the stadium.

*Tom Soehn had to remind me of this, and so I will remind you: Rod Dyachenko is not eligible to play Saturday at Kansas City because of the red card he received in the playoff finale vs. Chicago. However, he will travel with the team to K.C. and continue on to Mexico.

*A U-14 youth team from Rosario, Argentina, was in town and got to watch the first portion of practice. The players were clearly mesmerized by Marcelo Gallardo, a legend in Argentina. Safe to say, they purchased quite a bit of DCU merchandise at the club store at RFK this morning.

*You can catch me talking DCU and MLS tonight on "Washington Post Live" on Comcast SportsNet. The show starts at 5 p.m.

By Steve Goff  |  March 27, 2008; 12:14 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: USA-Argentina!

Comments

It must be great to be 13 and able to come to the states and see one of your idols while here.

Oh yeah, first!

Posted by: peridigm | March 27, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Two questions Sr. Goff:

1) When does the team have to decide between Brandon Owens (great name) and Jeff Curtin?

2) Any idea what U-14 team that was? It's not the team coached by Facundo Erpen's dad, is it?

Posted by: Lost in BA | March 27, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see Jaime come on as a super-sub in KC for the last twenty minutes or so to let him test out that hammy.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | March 27, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Vamos United

"O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave............"

Posted by: Ric Flair | March 27, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Cezar,
He has a couple goals this pre-season, but I have not heard much about his performance. Good enough to earn a senior spot apparently.
Any one out there that has seen him practice/play that has an opinion?

Posted by: jgildea | March 27, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

------------

No hurry. They'll probably make a decision before the first reserve game (mid-April maybe?). They could end up signing Curtin and retaining Owens's rights while he pursues other options. Who knows. We'll see.....

Posted by: Goff | March 27, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: seahawkdad | March 27, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Goff, what's your take on fans who yell out 'O' or anything else in support of a local team during the National Anthem? Just curious.

Posted by: Ric Flair | March 27, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Goff: Speaking of pursuing other options, I know it's only been a few days, but are there any indications as to where Kpene might land next?

Posted by: tri-village | March 27, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

we don't get WaPost Live down here in Texas :-(

Posted by: justsayin' | March 27, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I've long thought that Guevara is a great talent. If somebody can figure out how to help him get his temper in check, they will improve their team significantly.

BTW... is there a confirmed nickname for our two new center backs?

Posted by: Joe Doc | March 27, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ric Flair | March 27, 2008 01:02 PM

Are you really bringing a totally irrelevant argument from another thread up.

Posted by: laur | March 27, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Joe Doc,

I'm kind of partial to "The Flying Gonzalo Brothers," which I've seen several times on BigSoccer.

Posted by: Leaky123 | March 27, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I'll echo that, laur; I don't need to go through that argument again.

Posted by: RK | March 27, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: seahawkdad | March 27, 2008 01:00 PM

You need to get out more and into the neighborhoods, pops. There's plenty of DC United stuff around.

Posted by: Chums Buckingham-Nicks Brubeck | March 27, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Cezar,
Any one out there that has seen him practice/play that has an opinion?
Posted by: jgildea | March 27, 2008 12:46 PM
-----
He is better than Pato.
----
But I will be still at work. When do they replay?

Posted by: td | March 27, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I'll echo that, laur; I don't need to go through that argument again.

Posted by: RK | March 27, 2008 01:19 PM

I agree, new thread, new season, new discussion.

Go DCU.

Posted by: Ken | March 27, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Will there be a youtube video on Washington Post live tommorrow?, I don't have Comcast Sports Net anymore.

Posted by: yo its me | March 27, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I have to say Goff. Being a CMNT and a TFC fan really tests your patience. I think Mo must have some resemblance of a plan, because at this rate he's sure to get fired within the year.

Posted by: DigzTFC | March 27, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

----
But I will be still at work. When do they replay?
==========================================

There is a replay most nights, but apparently not tonight, for some reason:

Posted by: tri-village | March 27, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

re: BTW... is there a confirmed nickname for our two new center backs?

The Gonzalo Twins!!

or just

The Twins!!

Posted by: myt! | March 27, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

for you guys that don't have comcast, they show the video of Washington Post Live on the post website somewhere, it's just impossible to actually find where it is.

Posted by: pat | March 27, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

re: BTW... is there a confirmed nickname for our two new center backs?

Brothers Gonzalo.

Posted by: Lost in BA | March 27, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

i believe the team from argentina is scrimmaging north staffords jv tonight @ ns. just an fyi...

Posted by: PKTaker | March 27, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Is there a chance Amado could come to the league if the Honduran season ends April 2nd?

Posted by: DigzTFC | March 27, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Re: "...DCU merchandise at the club store at RFK..."
-------------------------------------
--Posted by: seahawkdad

--Posted by: Chums Buckingham-Nicks Brubeck
--------------------------------------

Herr Goff (and anyone else):

Any ideas how a nonlocal diehard can throw some dough around at the team store at the stadium, without flying to DC, I mean? Does the team store have a web site? I'm dying for some new gear and want to hit that team store, but thus far I'm still limited to worldsoccershop's limited lineup and the outdated choices at MLS's online shop site.

Thanks.

Posted by: Robert in Orlando | March 27, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

How much insight do you have into the Feilhaber situation? Is Derby holding up his transfer out, or is Feilhaber/agent being too picky with other offers, or maybe there haven't been other offers (aside from Maccabi)?
Just curious, because that situation is killing his career as well as any future USMNT consideration.

Posted by: Gburg | March 27, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff when you are going to be on WashPo Live in the future can you tell us the night before so we can set our DVR's. I almost never get home from work that early. Thanks.

Posted by: Capitol Hill | March 27, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

"are there any indications as to where Kpene might land next?"

Given his fitness issues, maybe Kprispy Kpreme?

Posted by: ff | March 27, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

""The store purchases probably mean that there'll be more DC United gear seen in public in Rosario than can currently be seen on the streets of DC...""

Maybe, but old DC United jerseys with the names of Pope ($205), Kamler ($180), and Maessner ($140) went for some pretty good coin on ebay last week.

Still can't find an old pre-sponsorship jersey for myself (I hate last year's model).

Posted by: delantero | March 27, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Washington Post Live Link (As bookmarked last time Goff was on):

Posted by: Doze | March 27, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Orlando Rob,
Check out this Bigsoccer Forum

Posted by: Doze | March 27, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Check that, Maessner's long sleeve throwback Jersey went for $190, Kamler's short sleeve for $138.

Posted by: delantero | March 27, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Pobrecito Amado, que se queda en Honduras para retirarse de futbol internacional

CIAO PAYASO! Nos vemos en calificaciones.

en vivo y directo desde del condado de Prince William, VA.

Posted by: porbre Red Patch Boys | March 27, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

re: BTW... is there a confirmed nickname for our two new center backs?
I'm sticking with the plain old 'los Gonzalos' but I kind of like the 'Flying Gonzalos' :)

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 27, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised Ric Flair hasn't proposed calling our 'D' the Four Horsemen...

Posted by: JB | March 27, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

I knew what you meant, but the headline:

Guevara and DCU Updates

makes my skin crawl.

Posted by: Kim | March 27, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I'll bet Guevara came to an agreement with MLS and Toronto, but that Chivas was demanding too much for his rights. I can't see how that would change by the summer.

Posted by: Wild and Sourceless Speculation | March 27, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone tried to subscribe to MLS tv on the internet? I can't find any information on their website, and their customer service is ghastly incompetent, insultingly so. This is the response I got from them:

Dear Valued Customer,

You can access our web site Major Leauge soccer.com

MSL.com

I copied and pasted that. No kidding. Could someone help?

Posted by: Dan | March 27, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Dear Valued Customer,

You can access our web site Major Leauge soccer.com

MSL.com

I copied and pasted that. No kidding. Could someone help?
=======================================

I've checked this website constantly the past few weeks and all I keep seeing is something like "MLSLive.TV and MLSnet.com Matchday Audio will return in 2008. Please visit our Video/Audio section for great MLS highlights from last season! ."

I've emailed the customer service quite often but haven't received any response from them.

They need to get ontop of this, because thanks to my crappy cable carrier I can't get MLS Direct Kick. Thanks alot Charter Communications.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | March 27, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

The press release for the Seattle franchise name voting says that they're allowing write-in votes. Wonder if we can get enough people to vote for Seattle Sounders...

Ugh - you have to register and then wait for the e-mail to be able to vote. What a pain!

Posted by: DE | March 27, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

twins in spanish = gemelos (h sound)
dcu twins = gonzalos

there has to be a nickname there

gonzmelos?
gemzalos?
gemelos gonzalo?

Posted by: danj | March 27, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

The Pillars of Gonzalo!

Posted by: lostinchicago | March 27, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Chief Wiggum (I assume the donut shop has WiFi now?), I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I'll need MLStv 'cuz I live in FL.

Ah, and for our defenders, how about "Gonzalos' Gallows"?

Posted by: Dan | March 27, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dan | March 27, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey it's up!

Posted by: Dan | March 27, 2008 04:56 PM

__________________________________________

Thanks for the heads up, bout freaking time. (not that you posted, but that mls updated their page)

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | March 27, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

20 bucks ain't too bad either, considering I live in Southern California and this is the only way for me to get most games.

Posted by: Chief Clancy Wiggum | March 27, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Its 5:25 and I am wondering if I missed Goff on WP Live? Damn if I did. Awesome if I didnt.

PS: What the hell happened to Russ Thaler? He get the axe?

Posted by: Matt | March 27, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

It was a very classy thing for DCU to allow access to the kids from Rosario. They enjoyed Niell even more than Gallardo. Gallardo is silky smooth on the ball, but Niell was flying everywhere winning balls and disrupting things like a mini-Ben Olsen. They were surprised to see Peralta on the team too. Very knowledgeable group, especially the adult chaperones.

Posted by: GoldenChild | March 27, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Os Gemeos Gonzalos...
I know it's DC United week and Comcast and all but I sure coulda used a heads up on the Goff on WPLive! At least it's a fight...
hope that link works...

Posted by: Dadryan | March 27, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Geez: come up with a better title next time; you nearly gave me a heart attack. I thought that looser Guevara was in talks to join DC United. Having Tino is bad enough; we don't need his kind too

Posted by: Anonymous | March 27, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

anyone know any bars in dc showing the dcu game on sat?

Posted by: the heights | March 27, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

The Argentina Teams are from Jockey Club Rosario: http://www.jockeyclubderosario.com.ar/

Posted by: RDT | March 27, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

heights

check with the bars listed on the SE viewings page

Posted by: Heights Caretaker | March 27, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Nicknames...nicknames....

The Lone Gonzos (X-Files ref)
Thunderbolt & Lightfoot
The Junkyard Dawgs (in honor of RFK)
Los Asesinos Gemelos
Gonzopalooza (kidding, kidding)
Vanilla Fudge

I got tons of these things.....

Posted by: grotus | March 28, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Gonzomandyias (a la Shelley)

Posted by: grotus | March 28, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

The Bones Brigade!

No? Nobody? Stacy Peralta? No? Awww, screw you guys.....

Posted by: grotus | March 28, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

The Bones Brigade!

No? Nobody? Stacy Peralta? No? Awww, screw you guys.....

Posted by: grotus | March 28, 2008 09:58 AM
---------------------------------------------

I got it -- nice one grotus, not too sure about the crossover appeal of '80s skating and MLS though...

Posted by: Anonymous | March 28, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

c'mon! all I did was skate and play soccer! sometimes both at the same time.

Posted by: grotus | March 28, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I knew you were more like me than either of us would ever admit Grotus.
I used to think it was silly how many kids out there either only skated in video games or got turned on to skating by THPS.
I have accepted my fate as a soccer fan that really came to love the game by playing the video game.
Jesse "the Mess" Martinez rode for Powell Peralta for some time, I don't recall him ever getting a pro model though.
I think he got it on SMA...
Maybe we should get the shirts and bring our boards to the next home match...

Posted by: Dadryan | March 29, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse