Matchday: DCU-Harbour View

Greetings from Estadio RFK. Last time we were here, Christian Gomez, Troy Perkins and Bobby Boswell were on the pitch, baseball foul poles were still standing and United was headed toward another premature playoff exit. Ah, the not-so-warm-and-fuzzy memories.....

A few things to share:

*Fox Soccer Channel will carry the match tonight, starting at 7:30 p.m. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:36. Audio optional.

*If we are tied after 90 minutes, there will be two 15-minute overtime periods and, if necessary, penalty kicks. No away goal rule. The winner of this series will face Motagua or Pachuca, who will play the final leg Thursday in Mexico.

*United chief investor Victor MacFarlane says there is nothing new to report on the Poplar Point situation. Not sure what to make of that feedback. DCU partner Will Chang says he has purchased a small interest in a Chinese club from Ningbo, his father's hometown. Those items are completely unrelated, unless of course United is really desperate for a new stadium.

*You might have seen the reports that Toronto is interested in Honduran Amado Guevara, the former MLS MVP. I'm told by a reliable source close to Guevara that "it is a longshot for him coming back right now ... many hurdles." So we'll see where that goes in the coming days.

*Harbour View defender Ronny Amaguaña, who is from Wheaton, Md., will have an estimated 90 friends and family at the stadium, and an additional 60 local youth players with whom he worked in the past.

*Minor schedule change: United's Aug. 9 game at New York (7:30) has been moved to Aug. 10 (5 p.m.).

DCU LINEUP: Wells; Namoff, Martinez, Peralta, Burch; McTavish, Simms, Gallardo, Fred; Niell, Emilio. Subs: Carvallo, Carroll, Dyachenko, Kirk, Mediate, Quaranta, Stratford.

As usual, this is the place for your pregame, in-game and postgame thoughts. Please share!

By Steve Goff  |  March 18, 2008; 5:16 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Maradona Gets High
Next: United Moves Forward

Comments

"Ah, the not-so-warm-and-fuzzy memories....."

STEVE GOFF'S A UNITED FAN!!!

Posted by: Glaucon | March 18, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

"Ah, the not-so-warm-and-fuzzy memories....."

STEVE GOFF'S A UNITED FAN!!!

Posted by: Glaucon | March 18, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Um, no. Nice try, though ;-)

Posted by: Goff | March 18, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juan-John | March 18, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Let me be the first to say VAMOS UNITED!

Posted by: DCBird | March 18, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

another saturday night match stolen. thanks, guys.

Posted by: d, dc | March 18, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Moving the NYRB match to Sunday makes the road trip a lot tougher.

Doesn't mean I won't go, of course...

Posted by: Matt Mathai | March 18, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

make a trip up to NYC and stay for a few days. Ives reported that the DC game was moved to make way for a NY-Barcelona friendly on the 7th.... That way we can watch NY lose twice, badly!

Posted by: therealfan | March 18, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

The DC/RBNY game changed to make way for Barcelona on the 7th. I guess RBNY wants to lose badly on the 7th and the 10th. GO DC!

Posted by: therealfan | March 18, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Can you clarify the Guevara issue? The news set our message boards on fire and if it doesn't happen Ives might inadvertenly caused a massive backlash against Mo. News of any kind at this point has to concrete for us, because we've had everyone and his sister linked to our club and nothing happening.

Posted by: DigzTFC | March 18, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Can you clarify the Guevara issue? The news set our message boards on fire and if it doesn't happen Ives might have inadvertenly caused a massive backlash against Mo. News of any kind at this point has to concrete for us, because we've had everyone and his sister linked to our club and nothing happening.

Posted by: DigzTFC | March 18, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

All I know is what I wrote...

Who's Ives?

;-)

Posted by: Goff | March 18, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Any guesses on attendance tonight?

First home game, but it's not the regular season, and it's a Tuesday night. Wish I could be there! I'll be watching from abroad.

Posted by: Joe S. | March 18, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Club hoping for 15,000

Posted by: Goff | March 18, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

"Ah, the not-so-warm-and-fuzzy memories....."

STEVE GOFF'S A UNITED FAN!!!

Posted by: Glaucon | March 18, 2008 05:24 PM
____________
Um, no. Nice try, though ;-)

Posted by: Goff | March 18, 2008 05:31 PM
____________

REALLY?!?!?! Wow, where was I when that was established?!?! lol. Why not? Who DO you support if not United? I mean what other MLS team is there to like? ;-)

I miss Perkins so much...don't bring him up again... :(

I have no worries vs. Harbor View tonight, and why is because of the emotional statuses of the teams.

Harbor View: missing two starters (and their equipment manager--and worst of all, the TEAM CHEF!), playing away from home

DC United: playing on their home field for the first time since fall, improved field conditions enormously since last week!

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 18, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Goff can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe what he means is that he, and all other Post sportswriters (who do actual news coverage and not just write columns or blogs), aren't supposed to take sides. Because of this, he can't be the "fan" of any particular team.

Posted by: Matt in Silver Spring | March 18, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I've been to Ningbo. It's a two hour drive from Hangzhou. Supposedly the Chinese are building one of the longest bridges in the world that will run from Ningbo to Shanghai.

Posted by: Joe | March 18, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Glenn Davis had a writer from the Ft Worth Star (I believe) on his show last night and he exposed PHP's location as the real reason for their lackluster (not mention bland) crowds. While New Carrolton/Greenbelt isnt Frisco I fear a move to the 'burbs.

GET IT DONE, MacFarlane!

Posted by: Mountaineer Pride | March 18, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Because of this, he can't be the "fan" of any particular team.

Posted by: Matt in Silver Spring | March 18, 2008 06:37 PM
___________
After I posted, I realized that. :)

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 18, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joe | March 18, 2008 06:39 PM
==========================================

Goff: Did you get anywhere near Ningbo last September?

Posted by: tri-village | March 18, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

========================================

A while back I read somewhere (I forget where) that what Frisco/PHP has going for it is that although it appears to be in the middle of nowhere right now, population growth in the vicinity over the next decade or two is expected to be rapid, sort of like Ashburn or Gainesville. Alas, I'm not sure the same can be said for the College Park/Greenbelt/New Carrollton area.

Posted by: tri-village | March 18, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

It's pretty cold and so far not many arrived. Although everyone seems really excited like myself. With all that beer I had to twice already.

Posted by: td | March 18, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

I thought WFED was going to have a pregame show, but perhaps that is just for MLS regular season matches. I am curious as to whether their (low-power) signal reaches the RFK parking lots. And I have no idea what WiFi access (to the WFED Internet feed), if any, there is out there.

Posted by: tri-village | March 18, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Did I miss something? Why is Burch not in the line-up? I missed the last 15 minutes or so of the away leg because of the FSC shenanigans (DVR), but I don't recall hearing of any red cards or injuries other than Morenito's since then. What's up?

Posted by: Soy United! | March 18, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Uh... never mind. I need glasses.

Posted by: Soy United! | March 18, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: td | March 18, 2008 07:15 PM
==========================================

At least, according to the Weather Channel's satellite images, most of the precip will pass north of the area.

Posted by: tri-village | March 18, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Game Time!

Posted by: boda united | March 18, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know where I can stream it?

Posted by: Mike | March 18, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Different team in the "booth" tonight...

Posted by: RK | March 18, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

ugh these shirts desperately need a sponsor.

Posted by: longfellow | March 18, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know where I can stream it?

Posted by: Mike | March 18, 2008 07:31 PM
=========================================

I don't know about video, but for audio:

Posted by: tri-village | March 18, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

channelsurfing.net (IE only)

Posted by: RK | March 18, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

This announcing team is Miles ahead of last week's -- even got Ni-ell correctly.

Posted by: RK | March 18, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Or you can use TVU Player.

As for PHP, the last time I was there it was pretty much the only thing besides a few "downtown" Frisco buildings. It also doesn't help that the stadium is sunk into the ground (although that in itself is pretty awesome). You honestly can't see anything above ground except for the main entrance and luxury boxes.

Posted by: Jason | March 18, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

this team definitely misses Ben Olsen, as a captain, on the right wing, and emotionally

Posted by: diego r. | March 18, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

the goal king! Devon McTavish!

btw: it looks like Niell has been watching some Carlos Ruiz "how to roll around on the grass in the MLS" tapes

Posted by: diego r. | March 18, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Picking up where benny left off!

Posted by: matt y | March 18, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

haha mctavish is on fire...

Posted by: longfellow | March 18, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

McTavish, scoring leader! By two!

Posted by: Sean M. | March 18, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Golazo, McTavish is a goal machine...

Posted by: Chase | March 18, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

FSC is off the air down here in Hampton Roads and that really sucks.

Posted by: Outoftwnfan | March 18, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

McTavish with another goal! 2 in 2 games!

Posted by: RK | March 18, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh, great scoop to McTavish, who kills the keeper...

Posted by: RK | March 18, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Our D is looking pretty solid so far (both defense, and Devon)

Posted by: Taylor | March 18, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Wells must be bored...

Niell with a good chance at the break but wastes the shot.

Posted by: RK | March 18, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

who's the captain????

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 18, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know where I can stream it?

Posted by: Mike | March 18, 2008 07:31 PM
=========================================

I don't know about video, but for audio:

Posted by: tri-village | March 18, 2008 07:34 PM
Thanks I was able to track it down vid on TVU

Posted by: Mike | March 18, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

No doubt, the whole back line was solid in the first half. Burch showing some skill. But Fred is my MVP so far... doing a lot more creating than anyone else, including Gallardo.

Posted by: Joe S. | March 18, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Niell doesn't look good at all.

Also, those jerseys look like training jerseys.

Posted by: Adam | March 18, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Peralta and Gonzalez rock! You really notice Gillardo's contribution when went off (ie, Rod Dyachenko did not help United maintain pocession). Quaranta should replace Niell as #3 striker-actually Quaranta is Moreno's backup, Niell is Emilio's.

Posted by: TCompton | March 18, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Disagree with you two on Niell. He was great tonight at holding the ball when surrounded by defenders. And while his size might sometimes be an impediment, he drew a bunch of fouls in the final third, and will continue to do so all year.

Also, Quaranta doesn't have Niell's speed. Niell will be very valuable coming in for Moreno late in matches and running at defenders with tired legs.

Posted by: DCUMD | March 18, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Fred was clearly man of the match. He was aggressive on defense and even more eager to get into the offense . . . on both sides of the pitch and up and down the wings. He was having fun.

Good stuff all around, despite a lot of poor early touches, they came storming back to really show what a powerhouse they can become.

This year's version of United,"DCU 2008", is more technically skilled at every position than I have ever seen them be.

Posted by: delantero | March 18, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Peralta and Martinez are really good. And Peralta is not shy about yelling at Fred to play some D once in a while.

Gallardo needs to shoot more.

The grass looked a little long to me.

5 goals are fun!

I think Harbour View got cold.

Quaranta was a beast. I hope he can keep that up all year and not get hurt.

Posted by: Glenn | March 18, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

I saw Kpene at the game and he seemed to have a slight limp. Any word on that?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 18, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I saw Kpene at the game and he seemed to have a slight limp. Any info on that?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 18, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I saw Kpene at the game and he seemed to have a slight limp. Any info on that?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 18, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about all of those posts it was accidential

Posted by: Anonymous | March 18, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

what a blast watching the second half, we still got a lot to work on with chemistry but i like it!

Posted by: hokiepride | March 18, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

As others have said, Niell is presumably the sub for Emilio, while Quaranta is Moreno's understudy.

Fred's performance tonight was ridiculous. Emilio should have put in at least 4 as well.

The new jersey's are growing on me, but they'd admittedly look much better with Verizon's logo emblazoned across the chest (just for the need infusion of RED)

Posted by: AlecW81 | March 18, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Matt in Silver Spring | March 18, 2008 06:37 PM

_______________________________________

Living in DC and writing about United day to day and not being in the slightest bit a fan is like being a eunich in a brothel surrounded by lusty sailors.

Posted by: I cannot believe he doesn't like United more than the rest of MLS | March 18, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Fudge Verizon!
Do you steal your cable from them?
Five guys would be a tastey sponsor.
Who cares?
Numba 18 again?
I was sitting in front of some Winchesterites, who were just as stoke to see McT get some more.
Burch and McT be the hot white edge!
forget about it!
DC is going to diarheaaaaaah hella goals into the old onion bag this year dorks!
Yo Mastodork Juan!
come out and plaaaaaaaayyyyyyy.
Bye Bye Jicama

Posted by: dadryan | March 18, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

As long as someone can feed Emilio the ball, D.C. will have the Supports Shield again.

Posted by: Alan | March 18, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Yo Mastodork Juan!
come out and plaaaaaaaayyyyyyy.

Posted by: dadryan | March 18, 2008 11:18 PM
-----------------------------------------
that's freakin' hilarious...

Posted by: grumpy | March 18, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

What a nice night at RFK. I thought all the guys played great. I couldn't be more excited for the season to get under way.

I also appreciated Quaranta's bow to the crowd. He listens, he gets it. I thought he played great and am excited to have him back.

Posted by: Sean G | March 18, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

McTavish, the pride of Wincester! A goal scoring machine for sure.
This was a fun game to watch, hope to see the team continue to play like this and get tighter and more together.

Posted by: blackandredblood | March 18, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Luciano is not the only man who could score.
Tino came real correct.
Tiny men will not hold up in MlS...
Niell would be wise to get some but most north americans find your cartwheelilng flip flopping kind of umpa loompa ish.
I am really trying to not be a dick...
Niell can't last...
Ben Olsen PleasE get Better1
Burch/ McT!
Don't f-wit DA white boyz,,,
couple of the match to those Homos
Nice SAvory mr Wells.
I'll quit playing and say hot damn DC you scored one more than I expected and at 5-0 that rocks.

Posted by: MADRYAN | March 18, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan | March 18, 2008 11:23 PM
--------------------------------------------

Give the ball to McTavish!!!

Posted by: andrew | March 18, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

I wish this crap counted towards my fantasy courier crisis league play...

Posted by: dadryan | March 18, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

The guys put together some enjoyable plays in the second half tonight. Glad to see United rise to the occassion once HV seemed to believe they had lost it.

As far as the PHP topic is concerned, my humble opinion is that it doesn't suffer from being "out in the suburbs" as much as it is challenged by the fact that there is nothing close to a Metro system to get the fans to the game. As long as United parks a stadium in reasonable walking distance to a Metro station, the fans will get there -- especially since United fans are a committed and loyal bunch (although we'd all prefer it stay in DC). Also, PHP gets a good turnout for games, but they are more of the "family fans" -- moms and dads with kids. So you see many less people waving flags, standing all game, or banging their music maker -- as a previous poster said it appears "bland" compared to RFK. I was in DC at RFK for the first 10 yeas of MLS and in Frisco the last 2, so I don't know how different the fans are now as compared to when Dallas played in the Cotton Bowl, etc.

For those who haven't been to PHP since last year, there are tons of new buildings being built all around the stadium now that the Dallas North Tollway extension is open through Frisco -- making it MUCH easier to get in and out of the stadium for big games.

Posted by: UnitedFanInTX | March 18, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Niell doesn't look good at all.

Also, those jerseys look like training jerseys.

Posted by: Adam | March 18, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

-----------------
That was nice.

After the game he came over to the Barra, exchanged his shirt for a Barra shirt and traveled down the stands, getting hugs and welcomes from all of us. He then continued along the Screaming Eagles section for more of the same.

He did some beautiful work tonight with his passing. I think DC United has the real deal with him this time and once more has pulled off an unexpected find.

Posted by: seahawkdad | March 19, 2008 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Back from the game -- watching the replay on FSC. My thoughts:

McTavish was a revelation in midfield. Benny's gonna have to work hard to get his job back. Though, Namoff a liability in the back, McTavish is in a good spot in the midfield.

Mon of the match, though -- clearly Fred. Showed fantastic skill with his traps, and his passes.

Gallardo has impressive skills. First half - Great volley shot -- nice long pass to Fred, Good work in the second half running the offense.

Niell controlled the ball well, but his finishing was horrible. He does seem adept at drawing fouls. His size is a liability, but htat isn't reason enough to play Quaranta.

Santino was in the right place at the right time for a couple of plays. A nice asssist, but he missed a goal earlier -- saved by Luci's follow-up. Quaranta also had one boneheaded paly where he ran down the field ahead of hte defense -- he was offsides the whole way, and kept calling for the ball. Someone needs to remind him about the need to stay onsides.

Very impressed with our new inside defenders, especially Peralta.

In sum - -United found it's rhythm, eventually. This team needs to run at its opponents -- with Niell and Gallardo on the field, especially. A nice result, but nicer still to see the new United, possibly better than the old United.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | March 19, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Glad to hear that about Quaranta. He made a difference tonight, and it's good to have him back.

It was also awesome to see the huge smile back on McTavish's face tonight. He can keep that up! Not quite a hat trick, but he reminds me of Olsen's suprising batch of goals from last season. Awesome! Good work Devon, and get back on the field soon Ben!

Posted by: UnitedFanInTX | March 19, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ??? | March 19, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

i thought neill looked fine. he's always busy, nipped possession away from the harbour view defenders/ midfielders several times, and drew a number of fouls. sure, santino is close to everyone's heart (particularly after his sentimental mea culpa), but he didn't seem more effective than the knee-high neill.
it will be interesting when benny comes back. realistically, simms and mctavish can both do very well this season, and soehn would be wrong to pull either of those guys out if they're in form. benny will have to work hard to get on this team... but its never a bad thing to have a deep squad.

Posted by: longfellow | March 19, 2008 12:47 AM | Report abuse

My, what a difference a little smooth grass can make! . . . Great coaching from Soehn.

Posted by: Glaucon | March 19, 2008 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know how much DC had to pay Willy Wonka to get that ompha loompa #34 Neill?

I do believe that he is on loan.

Seriously though, if he improves and adapts to MLS as Fred has, he will be an invaluable member of the team and a perfect partner for Emilio.

Posted by: dtd | March 19, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

What was the deal with Fred sucking on my pascifier?

Posted by: Maggie Simpson | March 19, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

What, no love for Peralta?!?

First of all, when Gallardo gets clocked from behind in the first half, Gonzo's the one who's keeping OUR players from going off the deep end and punching somebody.

Secondly, he's clearly taken over the back line (telling the rest of them where to go -- AND THEY DO WHAT THEY'RE TOLD), which didn't let a goal through tonight.

My credit card's already 136 bucks lighter after visiting the Team Store, but if I were to get a personalized jersey, it'd be PERALTA's.

Gawd, gimme more games just like that!!

Posted by: Juan-John | March 19, 2008 1:19 AM | Report abuse

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 19, 2008 1:19 AM | Report abuse

I think it was something like 60k for a year loan.

I think Niell will be great for us this year, give him time to get his into it.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | March 19, 2008 1:23 AM | Report abuse

Is there an explanation for the technical difficulties that this blog experienced last night, at the height of the action? (You will notice that there was no traffic between 8:31 p.m. and 10:02 p.m.)

Posted by: tri-village | March 19, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Yo Mastodork Juan!
come out and plaaaaaaaayyyyyyy.

Posted by: dadryan | March 18, 2008 11:18 PM
-----------------------------------------
that's freakin' hilarious...

Posted by: grumpy | March 18, 2008 11:30 PM
===========================================

Huh? Is it really such a big deal that MJ predicted that DCU would only win 3-0, and the actual score was 5-0? (Check the "United Lite" thread at 1:49 p.m. Monday.)

Posted by: tri-village | March 19, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!!!

Posted by: | March 19, 2008 01:19 AM
---------------------------------

Um, not yet... We are the semifinalists...

Posted by: edgeonyou | March 19, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

"Huh? Is it really such a big deal that MJ predicted that DCU would only win 3-0, and the actual score was 5-0? "

Thank you for pointing that out.

It played out more or less like I expected, though I thought DC would break it open more quickly, and Gallardo, and not Fred would be the one to open it up. But Gallardo was once again going back too much to fetch the ball to engineer a lot of dynamic attacking play.

I was surprised that Harbour View folded so badly in the second half and abandoned their defensive scheme. DC has some very good speed, much more than last year, which will help them considerably against the more lead-footed MLS defenses.

If I were Soehn, Moreno would be a spot starter, playing only against teams who won't be beat with speed, and instead require combination play to get goal scoring.

Should be interesting to see the games against better attacking Mexican teams. I'll have an opinion about who I think will win after I watch the opposite quarterfinal.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | March 19, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Let me say too that now might be the time for a five man midfield, if Simms can't learn to be a stronger linking player. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a better than average MLS d-mid, and he proved last year he can score, but he needs to be able to work to move the ball, either on his own or through the right passes, about ten-twenty yards forward after a win within a few seconds to make the best use of Gallardo.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | March 19, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse