Midday Kickaround

Greetings from Kansas City.

A few items to share.....

*Steve Guppy, the 38-year-old English wing who spent a portion of the 2005 season with D.C. United, has resurfaced in, all of places, Rochester, N.Y., as a player/assistant coach for the USL1's Rhinos. After leaving MLS, he played for Stevenage Borough and then trained with Aston Villa to prepare for a return to the States. He'll assist new head coach Darren Tilley, an England native.

*The Revs have signed Chase Hilgenbrinck, a former Clemson defender who spent four years in the Chilean league.

*The Liverpool ownership situation is getting grimmer by the day.

*The Maryland Terrapins fared well on their exhibition trip to Florida and will next face USL2 Crystal Palace on April 11 at Ludwig Field. Real Maryland, the new USL2 club in the area, will scrimmage American University at AU's Reeves Field at 12:30 tomorrow.

*A new soccer movie? No, not really, but the 1970 World Cup plays an important role in the Brazilian film, "The Year My Parents Went on Vacation." Here is The Post's short review as well as the New York Times' synopsis. Has anyone seen this yet?

More later.....

By Steve Goff  |  March 28, 2008; 12:11 PM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: From D.C. to K.C.
Next: Dust in the Wind

Comments

I don't want to get off topic, but everyone's favorite former Howard University Goalkeeper has a new gig that may be of interest 'round these parts:

Posted by: tmc | March 28, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

The BBC article didn't mention the latest reports linking Gillett and MLS:

As I said in a previous thread, this news is especially intriguing because of its potential implications. It seems to stand everything that Garber said just a few days ago about slow, steady expansion on its head.

Posted by: tri-village | March 28, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Shaka Hislop wrote:
"But one great LA prospect who doesn't play in a glamorous position is the right-back, Chris Albright. Every time I've seen him he's been fantastic, wonderfully composed, truly one for the future."

Yeah, maybe one for the future of the New England Revolution! Just click on the link in your own story, Shaka

Posted by: Huh? | March 28, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

so, does this baseball field in KC have sod overlays and a hydraulic pitcher's mound like RFK did? Our boys should feel right at home tomorrow night...or at least some of them may have flashbacks.

Posted by: Glenn | March 28, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure he meant that other right-back "for the future" that LA has, Chris Klein.

Posted by: MLS, the league of mystery | March 28, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Glenn-No the CAB field does not have sod overlays. The entire baseball field has been sodded to accomodate the Wizards. The pitcher's mound does not interfere with the soccer field. You will be surprised how nice the field looks.

Posted by: KC fan | March 28, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Glenn, everyone but our new guys will be used to he pitch...man RFK's new pitch looks be-uti-FUL...i've been there twice already to see DC vs. Harbour View and to see my beloved country...El Salvador.. GO UNITED!!!

Posted by: Fulvio | March 28, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

KCfan, thats great to know...on another note..KC IS GOING DOWN!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Fulvio | March 28, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

There is a trailer for the film here:

It looks great

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | March 28, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the LIverpool ownership situation -- THe NYTimes' Goal Blog ran a piece late yesterday about how the current owner of the USL Montreal team is building a stadium and aggressively campaigning for an MLS franchise. The blog writer speculates that Liverpool partner Gillett may be intersted in joining an ownership group there.

According to the blog piece, this would have the benefit of evening the number of teams next year -- since there would be 2 expansion teams, rather than one. The blog piece futher speculates that this accelerate consideration of the bid by the New York Mets' owner to add a franchise in New York City, perhaps to join Philly as soon as 2010.

That all seems a bit fantastical and too fast-moving for the MLS. Also, it would contradict what our intrepid blogger Goff has reported is the MLS' plan to slow down the expansion train.

I'm not endorsing either view. Just reporting what I read.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | March 28, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

From this image, it would seem as if the stands are going to be a ways from the pitch.

Posted by: delantero | March 28, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

but when you look at the photos the whole place is so small I don't think anyone is actually "far" from the pitch. So I guess there is no actual baseball played there? What's the capacity? Is it more than 10K?

Posted by: Glenn | March 28, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

BTW, am I the only that thinks that KC may be much improved this year? I realize that EJ scored a lot last year, and they've dealt away much of their defense, but they may yet be more potent, not less...

Posted by: Fisch Fry | March 28, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm rooting for KC to be much improved, if for no other reason than between that and the new stadium DC's road games in kansas cisty might be tolerable to watch.

Posted by: d, dc | March 28, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm rooting for KC to be much improved, if for no other reason than between that and the new stadium DC's road games in kansas city might be tolerable to watch.

Posted by: d, dc | March 28, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

DVR broken, away in Baltimore this weekend. What channel is the game on? Any chance I could catch it in Baltimore?

Better yet, are there any good soccer/sports bars, because I can't miss the Merseyside Derby nor the DC United game.

Posted by: Garret | March 28, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Garret - sorry to hear that you're in Charm City. But the best place for games there is on the waterfront in Fell's Point at Slainte. It's an Irish Pub near the heart of Broadway in Fell's.

Posted by: Baltimore | March 28, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

As always, youtube has everything, including the Wizards home field. The close seats are behind the goal, everything else is a distance.

""but when you look at the photos the whole place is so small I don't think anyone is actually "far" from the pitch. So I guess there is no actual baseball played there?""

Posted by: delantero | March 28, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, delantero! Perhaps this will stimulate thinking about low-cost options for filling in the gap in the lower deck at Estadio RFK (e.g., creating some sort of picnic area).

Posted by: tri-village | March 28, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully our version of the glorious Steve Guppy is more of an Assistant Coach than Steve Guppy the player.

We've had a huge regime change here in Rochester. Hopefully more things will change for the better.

Good luck tomorrow. Perhaps we should call the game "Copa Argentina" or would that be the DC-Cbus game? ...or the DC-RSL game? DC-Colorado?

Posted by: Drew-ROC | March 28, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

d,dc

You seem like if KC is not much improved, United will roll over them. If they are even close to the way they played during the early parts of last year, this should be a very tough match

Posted by: United fury | March 28, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm not surprised that at one time Steve Guppy was rated the second best crosser in the Premier League (behind Beckham.) His stint here was short and undistinguished except for some sublime long crosses from the left side and one gorgeous tackle in which he stripped the ball off a dribbler's foot without the guy even knowing it for a second or two.

Posted by: Hedbal | March 28, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps we should call the game "Copa Argentina"...
==========================================

I just learned that the Wizards had an Argentine-themed fan group called La Doce long before they had any actual players from Argentina.

Posted by: tri-village | March 28, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Fisch Fry-

Ultimately, I think KC's positives (Myers, improvement of Harrington and Morsink, and I feel like Trujillo will be a success) are offset by negatives (still starting Jewsbury at RB, no new creative players in midfield, replaced Garcia with Wahl). Lopez will do OK, but I think he won't have enough of an impact in the end to justify his price tag or take the Wizards to the next level.

For all the talk about Onalfo being so attack-minded, KC went defensive down the stretch (go back and watch them play...they look like Columbus or Colorado). I think he'll again start the season thinking they can bulldoze most people with sparkling attacking play, but will find this exposes what is an average at best defense. Don't be surprised to see them sending out lineups where Davy Arnaud is the only truly attack-minded midfielder by the all star break.

I also think they'll be better off finding a way to get Sealy on the field. Last year, he and Johnson could stretch defenses both horizontally and vertically with their speed, causing passing lanes to widen and creating a bigger gap in between the opposing midfield and defense. This allowed their pedestrian midfield more time on the ball. Lopez used to have that kind of speed, but either he lost it or chose not to use it with Club America or Racing. I don't know if Trujillo is fast or not, so I guess we'll be finding out soon.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | March 28, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone heard about behindthebadge.com. Its the offical DC United Blog. Maybe they envy Goff, and trying to put him out of business.

Posted by: DC United Fan | March 28, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

C. Rockwell as far as attacking midfielder
they have Marinelli who's a poor version of Riquelme. Most traffic will go thru him. But Arnaud is another option i guess.

Posted by: frank | March 28, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

United Fury:

Where did I say I thought it would be easy for United? KC on the road has always been a tough ask for DC, especially in the 400+ degree summer heat.

All I was saying was that with some of their recent additions, KC may come out of their 13-year bunker and actually try to play some football for a change.

And I won't burn my eyes staring at the endless rows of empty orange seats, thanks to the new field.

Posted by: d, dc | March 28, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC United Fan | March 28, 2008 05:01 PM
---------------------------------------------
Just checked it out, looks awesome! The more places I can go to get my DCU fix, the better.

Posted by: Leaky123 | March 28, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Any news to report on Alan Kelly's condition?

Posted by: Dave | March 28, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't worry about behindthebadge.com putting Steve out of business. It's an extension of the DC United website run by the DC United PR staff. It will only provide "approved" information and some personal stories.

Steinberg, on the other hand, should be worried.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 29, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I can't say I would be too disappointed if Dan couldn't blog on DCU. It would only mean we would keep more players.

Posted by: sitruc | March 30, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse