MLS Waiver Draft Results

D.C. United bolsters its defensive corps by claiming Jeff Curtin, the former Georgetown standout who was let go by Chicago after two seasons. Houston takes forward Kyle Brown (Real Salt Lake) and Chicago acquires defender Brandon Prideaux (Colorado).

The 6-foot-3 Curtin, 24, is out of contract and will have to negotiate a new deal with United. He was a developmental player at the start of last year and is eligible for the same status this season. He made three regular season league appearances in 2007, all starts, and had one goal. Injuries have sidelined him several times during his career and, according to one source, he considered retirement this winter.

United's backline personnel now looks like this:

Bryan Namoff (right back)
Marc Burch (left back)
Devon McTavish (right back, center back)
Gonzalo Martinez (center back)
Gonzalo Peralta (center back)
Pat Carroll (center back, right back)
Jeff Curtin (center back)

By Steve Goff  |  March 4, 2008; 5:06 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Games and Claims
Next: AU Hires Women's Coach

Comments

Thank god it's not Jim Curtin. I hate big burd.

Posted by: DCAustinite | March 4, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Goff, Where would Curtin fall on our roster, as a developmental player I'd assume?

Posted by: Doze | March 4, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Updated information above

Posted by: Goff | March 4, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Pat Carroll as well, Goff.

Posted by: Whip | March 4, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I've been waiting for a Hoya to join DC - welcome home Jeff!

Posted by: hoyanick | March 4, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Yup, my bad, Carroll added

Posted by: Goff | March 4, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Were these the only players taken today?

Posted by: Jim | March 4, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

That's it.
More than usual.

Posted by: Goff | March 4, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff, thanks for the update. In a pinch, couldn't Namoff play Left Back? So essentially he is our #1 right back and #2 left back? i.e. if Burch was hurt (knock on wood) play McTavish at right back and Namoff at left back?

Posted by: Obi | March 4, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

Can't McTavish play left or right?

Posted by: Kim | March 4, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

so there were only 3 selections made today overall? I'm surprised SJ didn't pick someone up. Also surprised no team in the league wants Martino ... even as a backup somewhere!? Is he now destined to stock shelves at Best Buy?

Posted by: grumpy | March 4, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

These are their primary positions. Theoretically, anyone can play anywhere.

Posted by: Goff | March 4, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I would rather have picked up Lancos, but at least it shows we're looking for more depth via the developmental roster.

Posted by: Jason | March 4, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

it's good to have more depth at center back. look what happened to Liverpool when Agger got hurt.

Posted by: andrew | March 4, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Pat Carroll or Jeff Carroll? I thought Jeff was in the defender mix also.

Posted by: Hedbal | March 4, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff, WTF was up with the Galaxy waiving Babayaro, Kyle Martino and Kelly Gray?

LA has no business waiving anyone with a pulse. Was this a bit of salary cap "trickeration" by Alexi, or do they really intend to let these guys go?

Posted by: jrnail23 | March 4, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I assume Jeff Carroll is competing to be Clyde Simms backup, which would make his primary position defensive midfielder.

Posted by: noptov52 | March 4, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Jeff was definitely one of the best college players I ever saw. Hope he makes it with DC.

Posted by: hoyafan | March 4, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Lancos has the touch of a brick wall. I am a Terp myself, but I won't let that cloud my judgment when it comes to DCU. He isn't good enough to get a senior contract for us, and I believe he's too old for a developmental deal.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some of these players end up on trial elsewhere. Since waivers now mean a team has no claim on the player, there's no harm in bringing someone from the list into your training camp and signing him if he earns it.

I figure Babayaro and Gray will find homes (Gray with San Jose). RSL should look at Babayaro, but I know they're convinced Ian Joy is useful, which is a mistake in an otherwise good offseason.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | March 4, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Hello, Seattle!

Posted by: B.A. | March 4, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Jeff Carroll is sidelined for 3-6 months. Obviously, he's not in the club's immediate plans for defensive work or anything else.

Posted by: Goff | March 4, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

So why were Gray and Martino not picked up? Perhaps there is some nuance of MLS rules that I do not understand but that just seems stupid.

Posted by: Brian | March 4, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Gray and Martino might not have been picked up because of their salaries. Wouldn't be surprised to see a team sign them later on to smaller deals

Posted by: Mike | March 4, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

I still don't understand why the Galaxy would have waived Gray. I guess they just figured that two or three defenders on their entire roster would be enough?

Posted by: DCUMD | March 4, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

14 days to the first home match!

Posted by: Curious | March 4, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

you guys made a decent choice with Jeff. He is injured a ton but when he's healthy he's a decent player you can plug in when you need it.
He has a decent knack for getting his head on the ball in set pieces so you might even squeek a goal out of him.

Posted by: papa bear | March 4, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

hey can the players still be signed do you see kelly gray and kyle martino staying in the MLS

Posted by: REPLY | March 4, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Jeff Curtin to back up THOR! and Martinez.

Does this mean McTavish for the bench or for an outside defender? Or both on the bench?

Let's see what the Winchester, VA product can do against the world!

Posted by: delantero | March 4, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the information on Jeff Carroll. I knew he had been injured, but had no idea he would be out so long. I've seen him play a lot with the reserves, and he seemed to be a leader on the pitch.

Posted by: Hedbal | March 4, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Can I please be the first person to welcome the "Iron" Curtin!

Posted by: Mike | March 4, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

SG - DCU's website lists the trialists in Texas as being Quaranta, Blumer, Cezar, Gardner, Murphy and Thompson - does that mean that Jamil Walker's trial is seemingly done?

Posted by: Eric Z | March 4, 2008 11:55 PM | Report abuse

On Ian Joy? He had a good run in the German 2nd Division and I am quite certain the level of play there is comparable to MLS. I would think RSL fans would at least want to give him a chance before ripping on him.

Posted by: Why the Hate? | March 5, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Not sure anyone is checking back on this post but........ arrrrgghhhhhhh LEFT BACK!

I summon all of the collective Mojo of every United Fan in a spell/prayer/enchanment over Marc Burch's health. What's so hard about finding a left back?

Vamos United!

Posted by: AlexandriaDan | March 5, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know where I can find the results of yesterdays waiver draft?

Posted by: Mike | March 5, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

The problem Jeff Curtin had with the FIRE was that Stupid Dave Sarachan was dumb enough to draft him in the 2nd Round, when he was [at best] a 4th round-level prospect. He drafted Jeff Curtin ahead of Altidore and others. Sir Dave the Stupid drafted Jeff Curtin in the 2nd round when the FIRE already had CJ Brown, Jim Curtin, and Tony Sanneh already in the team. And Stupid Dave Sarachan had already run Ante Razov off the team, clearly making forward a more pressing need than having a 4th CD.

In all honesty, I don't know if Jeff Curtin can play at this level. This is because Stupid Dave Sarachan had stockpiled too many defenders that were ahead of him in the depth chart. In addition, Jeff Curtin was injured more often than not.

DCU may have made a steal with this pickup, or they may have just picked up another warm body to fill up the reserve team lineup.

As an aside, it has been assumed in Chicago that Jeff Curtin would be a senior roster player, not a developmental player. Jeff Curtin is out of contract because he is at the age wherein a team must either "graduate" him to the senior roster, or waive him, as the FIRE did. [He turns 25 in June or July, if memory serves.]

Looking at MLS' Tome of Calvinball, players can be on a developmental contract until the season in which they turn 25. For GK, its until the season in which they turn 26. So unless MLS has changed the rules, Curtin will have to be a senior roster player to stay in MLS.

Posted by: khan | March 5, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse