Moreno Out, Roster Updates

*Team captain Jaime Moreno will be sidelined two to four weeks from the time of his hamstring injury last Wednesday at Harbour View, so he'll definitely miss tomorrow night's second leg of the Champions' Cup quarterfinals and be questionable for the MLS opener at Kansas City in 12 days.

*United is in the process of trading with Houston for the rights to midfielder Jeremy Barlow, a UVA product who was the last pick in the MLS regular draft in January. DCU will relinquish a supplemental draft pick. Barlow, who has agreed to a developmental contract with DCU, came through United's youth system and played at Langley High. He'll add depth on the flanks.

*Forward Jamil Walker, waived last week, has attracted interest from other MLS clubs and might get invited to a training camp soon.

*Draftee Tony Schmitz will not be offered a contract. James Thorpe, a rookie goalkeeper, has been offered a developmental deal; he is with the club this week while on spring break and will return to school to finish his course work before joining DCU full-time. The club continues to evaluate rookie defenders Dane Murphy and Brandon Owens, as well as Brazilian forward Cezar.

*The biggest news of the day: United's team store is open for business at the main entrance to RFK.

By Steve Goff  |  March 17, 2008; 11:15 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Selection Monday
Next: United Lite

Comments

Jaime: "Coach, I pulled my hammy."
Soehn: "You pulled yourself where?"
Jaime: "My hammy."
Soehn: "I know your name is Jaime. What's your point?"
Jaime: - stare -
Soehn: "What?"
Jaime: "Oh, forget it."

Posted by: Joe Doc | March 17, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Welcome, Jeremy Barlow. Hang in there. Ben Olsen can't last forever.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | March 17, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I've been a bit out of the loop recently, but what is going on with Quavas Kirk and Jeff Curtin? Are they with the squad?

Posted by: Section 304 | March 17, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Does the store look as nice as the BS boards indicate?

Posted by: Section 130 | March 17, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Goff: Will you have NCAA hoops assignments that go beyond GMU, however long they might last in the tournament?

Posted by: tri-village | March 17, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Goff,
Rumor is that Cezar would only be signed to a developmental contract if we picked him up. Is this the case? Does that mean that Dyachenko and Kpene are secure in their senior roster spots at this time?

Posted by: Doze | March 17, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

This column and Selection Monday, are not showing up on the main Soccer Insider page right now. I got to these from the main Sports Column/Blogs page.

Posted by: Dsmac | March 17, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

It appears that upper-deck tickets are not being sold for the Harbour View game. United management seems to think that the upper deck is just overflow seating for games that draw especially large crowds. However, there are some of us who have a definite preference for upper-deck seats. (I'd pay extra for a mezzanine seat for some matches, but this isn't one of them.) They should consider opening at least a small portion of the upper deck for every game.

Posted by: tri-village | March 17, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know how advance tickets sales for the Anguilla-El Salvador contest are going? If nothing else, this event might make an interesting human interest story for the Metro or Style section of the Post, or even the Sports section, if someone wants to tackle it.

Posted by: tri-village | March 17, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Barlow is a good pickup (low risk move). Think Moose with better ball skills. He's small, but some preferred him to Nico Colaluca (4th pick last year).

I'd prefer Owens to Murphy. Murphy doesn't have the ball skills. Owens has a bigger upside if he can stay healthy.

Too bad about Schmitz, his positional flexibility would have been helpful.

Is the main entrance of RFK, lot 8?

Posted by: JSF | March 17, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Let me float a controversy balloon. Jaime is breaking down and needs to retire. I love him and we owe him a lot, but its time to put on a suit and tie. Okay....release the hounds!

Posted by: grotus | March 17, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Tri-village, opening the upper deck would require them to staff concessions on the upper-deck, as well as beef up security and likely pay for more MPD as well.

DC's possible 2nd round match with Pachuca could draw a decent crowd (17-20k), but I'd still say opening the upper deck won't be necessary. A match with Motagua (should they find a way to sneak past Pachuca) would likely only draw 15-18k.

Overall, I'm hopeful that we face off with Atlante in the Final, as I'd rather head to Cancun for the away leg than Houston.

Posted by: AlecW81 | March 17, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Is the main entrance of RFK, lot 8?
=========================================

Lot 8 lies to the southeast of the stadium. The main entrance is due west (i.e., in line with E. Capitol St.).

Posted by: tri-village | March 17, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: grotus | March 17, 2008 12:17 PM
-------------------------------------------
I think Jaime has been a great player for United, but at least for now, until he can get back on the field and do something(s) to prove you wrong, your post has merit.

Posted by: Throwin | March 17, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

=========================================

Posted by: tri-village | March 17, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

With the addition of Jeremy Barlow, DC United will have had players on their roster that went to the two High Schools I went to growing up:

Jeremy Barolow
Langley High School
McLean Virginia

Joshua Gros
Cumberland Valley High School
Mechanicsburg PA

The funny thing is, CV has a great soccer program. I don't remember anything good about Langley's.

Posted by: TCompton | March 17, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

"For a game that will likely draw 12-15k, opening the upper deck is a ridiculous request."

----------

You sure this week's game will draw that many? Last year's first-round CCC home game against Motagua (or whomever it was) had around 8500.

Posted by: Juan-John | March 17, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

WaHooWa, Jeremy. A good pickup IMO: fast, decent dribbling skills, and a good work rate. He's smallish, but doesn't mind getting stuck in. Gelnovatch would play him in the middle some, but I thought he was more effective on the wing.

I don't know about Dane Murphy. I'm surprised he's stuck around this long. I wasn't a big fan of his at UVa. He played DMid at UVa and seemed to slow down the transition to offense, invariably taking the extra touch. He does have good size. Maybe he could be converted to a defender.

Anyway it's nice to see the UVa pipeline opening back up.

asitis

Posted by: asitis | March 17, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

For a game that will likely draw 12-15k, opening the upper deck is a ridiculous request...

Posted by: AlecW81 | March 17, 2008 12:18 PM

**************************************

I agree opening the upper deck is uneconomical even if there are some nice sightlines up there.

Any news on projected attendance?

I think your 12-15K attendance is highly optimistic. This game hasn't gotten much publicity at all and last year we drew 8,181 against Olimpia in the corresponding match. And I suspect Olimpia has much more of a fan base than Harbour View...

I expect plenty of elbow room tomorrow night...

Posted by: garbaggio | March 17, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Which leads me to my question, Goff:

Has DCU given any preliminary ticket sales numbers for this game?

Posted by: Juan-John | March 17, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see garbaggio and I are on the same wavelength... :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | March 17, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Just to clarify, I meant LAST YEAR we drew 8k vs Olimpia...

Posted by: garbaggio | March 17, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TCompton | March 17, 2008 12:34 PM

A high school soccer program's success is largely the result of the clubs that feed into it.

Posted by: Joe Doc | March 17, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Go Red Bulls. They'll give you wings!!!

Posted by: Juan Mastodon | March 17, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Juan John, it was Olimpia not Motagua

Posted by: Anonymous | March 17, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow night's game should draw 12k-15k, simply because it's in the season ticket package.

The Olimpia game last year was not part of the ticket package; that 8100 was all single game ticket sales.

Posted by: Mike | March 17, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Go Red Bulls. They'll give you wings!!!

Posted by: Juan Mastodon | March 17, 2008 12:47 PM

Those wings can be used for my wifes pantie liners !!!

VAMOS UNITED

Posted by: 135 | March 17, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

To answer a couple questions, DCU expecting around 14-15 thousand tomorrow night.

My hoops assignment will be American U. in Birmingham Friday, which allows me to also cover the Oly soccer semis in Nashville Thursday. Adam Kilgore, the UVA and VT beat writer, will handle Mason in Denver.

Posted by: Goff | March 17, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

"Go Red Bulls"
---------

Yep, good thing someone is here to keep us all honest, or else we wouldn't have brilliant reality checks like this.

Also OT unless there's a Champions Cup or United roster angle I'm missing.

Okay, I'm off now to go play self-appointed ombudsman on the NYRB blog . . . oh, wait, can't do that -- I have a job.

Posted by: gringo | March 17, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

-----
If United put more ads on paper or on tv wouldn't there be more? Why isn't there ads?

Posted by: DCU Ad | March 17, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Mark my words, Jaime will be best utilized this season as a 60-65 minute sub. DC ball possession goes way up when he is on the field. He can help us kill off a 1 goal lead, provide the magic to spring Emilio for a game-winner, or hit the PK to ice the game. If we continue to use him as a starter we risk him to injury and we don't have him around for the crucial part of the game because he defintely can't go the full 90 anymore.

I love Jaime and all that he has done for DCU. He has been my favorite player. I know I will catch some flak for my position, but I don't see it as a knock on his abilities. Instead I see him providing savvy veterean leadership in the last 30 minutes of games so that we can utilize him all season long. It is an important role and DCU is lucky to have someone to fill it. None of the other MLS teams have that luxury (MJ start bashing me now).

Posted by: GoldenChild | March 17, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

@tri-village

"That's all true. But if they limit it to a few sections (say, 409 through 411), and they draw even several hundred people who otherwise would not have attended at all, it would probably pay for itself."

I have no reason to doubt them when they say that it costs too much to open the upper deck. I'm sure they've done the cost-benefit analysis, since they've heard this request for years.

Or maybe they're doing it just to spite you. :)

Posted by: Matt Mathai | March 17, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

---------------------
My guess is that these guy's development as players didn't depend on their high school programs...

Posted by: seahawkdad | March 17, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Last year we drew 8,181 against Olimpia in the corresponding match.
______
It was also a month earlier and played in steady cold rain.

Posted by: John | March 17, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Moreno looks to have put on a few pounds in the off-season. He should try to stay away from the little debbie's.

Posted by: Aaron | March 17, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

heard barlow was back here at UVA and was sad he didnt make it in houston.. now I know why. excellent pickup, the comparison to nico colaluca is accurate

Posted by: smith | March 17, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Go Red Bulls.?
------------
Go Crap yourself Dork.
------------
You're probably a Dallas Cowboys fan too aren't you?
Chump for the sake of being a Chump...

Posted by: Madryan | March 17, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Goff | March 17, 2008 01:11 PM

Does that mean Kilgore won't be covering the NIT in Blacksburg?

Posted by: sitruc | March 17, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

==========================================

Normally that's what I would think, too. But there are very good reasons to doubt whether they really have a grip on the business end of things, starting with their mismanagement of the quest for a new stadium.

Posted by: tri-village | March 17, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Does that mean Kilgore won't be covering the NIT in Blacksburg?

Posted by: sitruc | March 17, 2008 02:02 PM
===========================================

Do we hear a stringer volunteering to step into the breach?

Posted by: tri-village | March 17, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

_________________________________
Tri,

What mismanagement? How are they responsible for D.C. government's lack of consistency? I actually believe they have handled it well, keeping communication with the District open, while initiating conversation with less attractive, but viable suburban options.

Also, they are already reporting a dramatic increase in revenue for the upcoming season and already have matched last years' all-time high for season ticket equivalents (something they didn't do until July last season).

Really, I wish my company was "mismanaged" like that.

Posted by: JoBu | March 17, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

With Barlow and Thorpe taking developmental spots, we have just one senior and one developmental spot left. It seems safe to expect Kpene to take that last senior spot, leaving Cezar, Owens, and Murphy all vying to be the 28th man on the roster.

As for Moreno, until this team can prove that they will reach the same level without him, he's got to be first choice. We've had 1 game this season, and while Niell looked decent, I saw a lot of similarities to what we looked like without Moreno last season. I'm not sure why, but the other players on the team simply do not adapt to Moreno being out. Perhaps when Gallardo and Niell are more fully integrated we can start talking about whether Moreno should be a starter. Right now, though, if he's fit, he is absolutely first choice.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | March 17, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tri-village | March 17, 2008 12:03 PM

Is there anything preventing you from just sitting up there anyway?

Now all we need are Yannick and Zola!

Posted by: Glaucon | March 17, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

------------------

Why are we forgetting about the best long-term 'replacement' for Jaime Moreno?

Santino Quaranta has been waiting 6 - 7 years to play his preferred position on the field. That is the one that Jaime is someday not going to be able to fill.

Posted by: Liverpool_SC | March 17, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

=========================================

Those conversations concerning suburban sites should have started years earlier. You should never put all your eggs in one basket.

Posted by: tri-village | March 17, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Is there anything preventing you from just sitting up there anyway?
==========================================

Er, stadium security?

Posted by: tri-village | March 17, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Barlow is a good pickup, but I don't know who would prefer him to Colaluca. Barlow does not have 1/10 the ball skills Colaluca has.

Posted by: Ron | March 17, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Is there anything preventing you from just sitting up there anyway?
==========================================

Er, stadium security?

===========================================
===========================================

Yeah. DC's security are the ones who first put the Mastadon in Juan. Don't mess with them.

Posted by: Liverpool_SC | March 17, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

In respons to asitis' post below:

Anyway it's nice to see the UVa pipeline opening back up.

asitis
_______________________________________

I very much disagree. Being an avid UVa soccer fan, I have only missed a few games in the past two years.
Murphy is an excellent player. He makes very smart plays and is not selfish, in contrast to a lot of players on the field at that level. He is always very aware of the movement around him, and rarely makes a bad pass. Being that he plays defensive midfield, you will not see scoring a lot of goals, but he was certainly an asset to UVa and will definitely be an asset to DCU.

Barlow on the other hand, is somewhat unreliable. He tends to have a few good games, and then his performance drops off. He is overall unimpressive when he is at his normal level of play.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 18, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse