Morning Kickaround

The separate threads for separate topics worked well yesterday and drew wonderful response from Insider loyalists, but to start our day this morning, let's keep it all together and see what unfolds this afternoon.

*At the top of our agenda is the USA-Poland friendly (3:30 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel). It feels like these teams play each other as often as the Yankees and Red Sox, doesn't it? You've seen the U.S. roster, now pick your starters. In case you haven't heard, the Americans will be wearing new road jerseys.

*Meanwhile, over at Estadio RFK, a World Cup qualifier will be played tonight: El Salvador vs. Anguilla. You've heard the back story, right? Anguilla, which lost the first leg 12-0 in San Salvador, does not have an adequate field to host its home match, so it sold the game rights to a marketing company, Traffic Sports, which moved the game to Washington in order to take advantage of the big Salvadoran population here. One local official believes the crowd will exceed 15,000 -- which would easily surpass the population of Anguilla (13,600).

*Other qualifiers today include Dominica at Barbados, with the winner advancing to face the United States in June. They played to a 1-1 draw in the first leg. Already today, Australia and China played to a 0-0 tie, as did the Brothers Korea.

*Lots of friendlies today, including Ghana-Mexico (4 p.m. ET, Telemundo), Brazil-Sweden (5:30 tape, Fox Soccer Channel), Scotland-Croatia (11 p.m. tape, FSC), Egypt-Argentina (2 p.m. GolTV), Switzerland-Germany (3:45 Setanta), France-England, Spain-Italy and Denmark-Czech Republic.

*My print-edition story about DCU, MLS and RFK can be found here.

*Following up on yesterday's report about the U.S. home qualifiers this fall (assuming they advance), I continue to hear that Home Depot Center is the front-runner for the October game against Cuba, which would leave RFK in contention for the September match vs. T&T or the November game against Guatemala. T&T in D.C. would make sense because the Americans will have just played in Cuba four days earlier and would probably prefer an East Coast venue.

*Negotiations between Amado Guevara, the 2004 MVP who left MLS to play in Honduras, and the league should be resolved by the end of today. According to one source, the sides are "still in discussions but looking positive at this point." Chivas USA maintained his MLS rights and, if a deal is struck, would probably trade him. Toronto reportedly is very interested.

*Dan Steinberg's Sports Bog feature about Ben Olsen's basement can be found there. By the way, Olsen will be on washingtonpost.com today hosting a live chat. Submit your questions now!

*And finally, we introduce Christian Swezey's lacrosse blog to our little world.

Goff to Swezey: Welcome to the neighborhood. Now stay out of my way.

;-)

By Steve Goff  |  March 26, 2008; 9:38 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United, MLS Notes
Next: Matchday: USA-Poland

Comments

Thank you Goff!
You are the man.
GOOOOOOOO USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Dadryan | March 26, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Goff, yesterday was almost too much for me to handle. Information overload! Great work though, keep it up sir!

Posted by: strago | March 26, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Many thanks Steve.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 26, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Figures I get slammed with work on a feast day (yesterday), because I'm always checking for updates on the days of famine.

As the the US v Poland game, I would hope that we see the bottom end of the bench. This is a game that means nothing, against a team the regulars have seen many times. I'd prefer to see the caps go to the young players down the depth chart, to evaluate their progress in a match. Winning this friendly means much less than finding out who should be in the pool for 2010.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | March 26, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

While you were at the United for DC luncheon, did you get a chance to interview any of the members of the City Council?

There was a speaker from the community who spoke rather glowingly about United's commitment over time to providing programs across the river.

BTW, on a related note - for those wishing to help United for DC in one of their community efforts, there is an opportunity to join fellow DC United fans volunteering at a Water Station at the National Marathon.

Posted by: SE Outreach | March 26, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Witty title on your article, Goff. =P

Posted by: Edward | March 26, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Does the USSF have any say in the design of the jerseys? While it's kinda cool to wear gray, it's not our traditional away color, FFS! IIRC, white has been our home color and blue our away color, historically, until Nike got into the business. I like the dark red from the stripe on the last home jersey--that would be a very nice away shirt. Anyway, I'm sure someone is gonna lambast me for even commenting on jersey colors/designs.

Posted by: Soy United! | March 26, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Goff, It's hard to digest Bhutan is at the level with Anguilla on FIFA ranking you mentioned in today's print. Although they don't play many matches I think the Bhutan XI will not loose to El Salbador 11-0.

Posted by: a bhutanese | March 26, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Isn't that away jersey blue? A grayish-blue, anyway...I like it.

Posted by: RK | March 26, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

12-0 sorry

Posted by: a bhutanese | March 26, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Welcome Swezey. So Goff, should we start calling you Sgeorge?

....beans don't burn in the kitchen
....beans don't burn on the grill
....took a whole lotta tryin'
....just to get up that hill

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | March 26, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm still hoping for a in-house blog rivalry. That thing with Dan and the DC Sports Bog never reached its potential. Of course I was holding out for fisticuffs, but posts about each others readership would have been enough for me. Swezey doesn't even like soccer or last names with two of the same letter next to each other.

Posted by: sitruc | March 26, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Steve, thanks for all of the updates over the past few dates. I haven't had time to post, and you make it hard to keep up with all of the info.

USA 2 - Poland 1

Another win on European soil for Bradley. It's easier to do when 15 of the 18 are already in Europe. It is a lot less travel for them than playing a "home" game.

Posted by: GoldenChild | March 26, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

meant to say "past few days" not "dates".

I have not been going out with Steve.

Posted by: GoldenChild | March 26, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

------

FYI, Swezey is a huge Man U and England supporter. You can find him at various local watering holes watching matches.

Posted by: Goff | March 26, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Might want to point out to someone that it's a picture of Niell in Steinberg's piece, not Olsen.

Posted by: Fact checker | March 26, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

for Poland, I would like to see everyone under the age of 25 get extensive playing time. I would like Lewis and Wolff to get NO playing time (sorry fellas, but you are a little long in the tooth to even think about 2010). Since it is a friendly and subs are probably unlimited, everyone should get in the match (except Lewis and Wolff, of course). My starters:

------------Howard----------------
Dolo---Gooch---Spector---Boca
------------Bradley---------------
Feilhaber--------------Clark
------------Donovan-------------
--------Ching------Dempsey------

Posted by: troy | March 26, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I am surprised by Soehn's bluntness when talking about Kpene. I would think that you wouldn't talk about a guy so harshly but I guess that it's the truth. Good print article Goff.

Posted by: Q | March 26, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I don't even agree with myself. scratch Ching and put Johnson in.

Posted by: troy | March 26, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

That gray jersey looks like a training jersey. I didn't think they could do worse then the home pinstripes, but they managed to outdo themselves.

Posted by: delantero | March 26, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

------------ Howard -------------

-Spector - Gooch - Pearce - Cherundolo

- Donovan ----- Bradley ------ Lewis

-------------- Bennie F --------------

-------- Dempsey ---------------------

---------------------- Johnson -------

Posted by: Joe Doc | March 26, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Gray?? Ehhh...

Nice last line, Goff. Had me chuckling! :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | March 26, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure why everyone wants Ben Feil. to start. He hasn't played a legitimate match in months! Talk about not being match fit. I'd be shocked if he starts.

-----------Howard----------------
Dolo---Gooch---Spector---Boca
------------Bradley---------------
Dempsey--------------Clark
------------Donovan-------------
--------Ching------Wolff------

Posted by: delantero | March 26, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Eddie Johnson with a hat trick today, but the US loses 3-4 to Poland. (All the goals are defensive errors and Howard cannot be blamed for any of them.)

And Anguilla will stun El Salvador 13-1, but miss out on the away goals rule.

Posted by: goals goals goals | March 26, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Wolff, Johnson and Ching - is there a more pathetic, uninspiring threesome of forwards anywhere (Trinidad and Tobago? Guam? Antarctica?)? Add Twellman to the mix and the joke is complete. Even if Poland played a 0-4-4-3, this collection of stiffs couldn't find the back of the net.

Posted by: Hmmm | March 26, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

What's with Nike and their odd color choices? Gold for the WNT and now gray for the men (or anthracite, according to the US MNT blog.) Do they have something against red, white, and blue?

Posted by: Pete | March 26, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

anyone know if the game will be streaming online somewhere?

Posted by: joe | March 26, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

The away shirt is an improvement over the home, which is a flat-out disgrace. That said, it doesn't look anything like a US jersey. If you showed me that shirt with no badge, I'd guess it was just a new training shirt. Is Nike aware of what country they're outfitting? Did they bring back the same brilliant guys that created the 1996 MLS jerseys?

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | March 26, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff, Would Chivas have exercise their option and sign him and cut players in order to be salary cap compliant before being able to trade him or would they just be able to trade away their right of first refusal?

Posted by: MLS Fan | March 26, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

If anyone wants to go back and forth between the USA match and the Brazil match, They will be showing the Brazil match Live on Fox Sports En Epanol at the sae time of the USA match.

Posted by: Michoacano | March 26, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

If anyone wants to go back and forth between the USA match and the Brazil match, They will be showing the Brazil match Live on Fox Sports En Epanol at the same time of the USA match.

Posted by: Michoacano | March 26, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Goff | March 26, 2008 10:44 AM
----
Great pick. I am there with you Swezey and good luck on your blog. Although I will remain here :)

Posted by: td | March 26, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tri-village | March 26, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the TV guide. I happen to be home sick today so that really lays out my afternoon for me.

Posted by: Glenn | March 26, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

this estonia-canada game is hard to watch - the field is completely covered in snow

Posted by: oracledba | March 26, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Like it better when you break out the subjects. Probably brings more posts which I am sure is something you are judged on. Putting it all in one brings many scattershot responses.
It will be good to be able to give Guevara crap on the field again.

Posted by: JMR | March 26, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

"Wolff, Johnson and Ching - is there a more pathetic, uninspiring threesome of forwards anywhere"

Ching plays well with Donovan - the two are on the same wavelength. But otherwise, that combination doesn't evoke hope.

Christian Miles want to know if Christian Swezey is related to him or Patrick Swayze.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 26, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 26, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post. A prize if you can spot the 1 difference?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 26, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I still wouldn't be surprised if quite a few of those who don't like the new away jersey would like it if it had a different badge on it. I say that because, well, look at every other new national team jersey. It doesn't matter if they are Pumas, Adidas or Nike. They are all doing the simple, plain look right now.

A few streams for the US game can be found here.

Posted by: sitruc | March 26, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

want v wants.

i wants my prize

Posted by: now | March 26, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if the Salvador game at RFK will be televise or available online????

Posted by: yo its me | March 26, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't know, yo its me. You might want to try the link in my last post tomorrow.

Posted by: sitruc | March 26, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

>*And finally, we introduce Christian >Swezey's lacrosse blog to our little world

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:-)

Posted by: Beaker | March 26, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I-270, Exit 1 said:

"Christian Miles wants to know if Christian Swezey is related to him or Patrick Swayze."

brilliant!

Why did you have to blow it by posting again and THEN also asking if anyone noticed you drawing attention to yourself - just really shameful blog behavior. You definitely knows better. Geez, thats like being the Britney Spears' of the SI. but, um, are you wearing panties?

Posted by: section 107 | March 26, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: section 107 | March 26, 2008 02:42 PM
==================

Never.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 26, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Away jerseys look good

Posted by: Eugene | March 26, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Alexandria, VA: We all know you're one of the team leaders (and our hero), but how are you meshing with all the newcomers on the team?

Ben Olsen: thanks you. im meshing i think pretty good with them. i keep them laughing when i try to speak spanish to them so i think im at least comic relief for them
--------
That is from the live web chat that Ben Olsen (DC United midfielder) did today on washpost.com :) i asked a question and he answered!!

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 26, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

I went to the game at the RFK El Salvador 4 - 0 Anguilla, and the stadium was full I am guessing like 20000++

Posted by: Martin | March 27, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse