Murphy, Cezar, Kpene [updated]

Yes. Maybe. No.

D.C. United has offered a developmental contract to defender Dane Murphy, an undrafted rookie from Virginia.

The club is in talks with representatives for Cezar, the young Brazilian forward from Atletico Mineiro who has been on trial for several weeks.

And United is going to release Guy-Roland Kpene, the second-year forward from Ivory Coast who showed promise last year but did not score and then didn't perform well this spring.

With those moves, the current roster looks like this:

GKs: Zach Wells, Jose Carvallo, James Thorpe.

Ds: Bryan Namoff, Marc Burch, Gonzalo Martinez, Gonzalo Peralta, Pat Carroll, Devon McTavish (d-mf), Brandon Owens, Dane Murphy, Jeff Curtin.

MFs: Fred, Ben Olsen, Clyde Simms, Marcelo Gallardo, Dan Stratford, Quavas Kirk, Justin Moose, Rod Dyachenko (mf-f), Ryan Cordeiro, Jeff Carroll, Domenic Mediate, Jeremy Barlow.

Fs: Jaime Moreno, Luciano Emilio, Franco Niell, Cezar, Santino Quaranta (f-mf).

[updated]

Josh Gros, who will not play this season because of head injuries, has joined DCU's youth academy staff and will oversee the under-15 program.

By Steve Goff  |  March 24, 2008; 1:41 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Meat Puppets
Next: Quiet Morning, Busy Afternoon

Comments

I guess O'Neil will be playing the role of non-scoring back-up forward?

Posted by: jgildea | March 24, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Dear GOD NO!!!! Not Kpene! Baby Drogba was just about to rip it up.

Argh!!! And FIRST!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 24, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Third!!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 24, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Goff,
That is 29 players, DC can only have 28 on their roster. Does that mean we are cutting someone before the regular season starts?

Posted by: Doze | March 24, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Huh. I am puzzled by the release of Kpene. Dude has skillz. Must have played really poorly this spring, 'cuz he looked good last season (even if he wasn't finding the back of the net).

Posted by: EdTheRed | March 24, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

United is looking vulnerable up front. Hopefully they can find a consistent strike partner for Emilio. Will Quaranta finally raise his game now that he's changed his attitude? Will Moreno stay healthy? Will Niell do more than draw fouls? And is Cezar any good (if he comes at all)?

Stay tuned...

Posted by: SSMD | March 24, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Does that mean we are cutting someone before the regular season starts?

----

Something is in the works.

Posted by: Goff | March 24, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

"Something is in the works."
-Goff
_______________________________

Sounds like a trade to me... Let the speculation begin!

Posted by: Doze | March 24, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Attn: Marc Fischer
There's another World Cup Qualifier at the forsaken RFK. This might be humorous to you, but the World Cup is truly the world's tournament, and this Wednesday will see El Salvador take on Anguilla.

Anguilla will have to score 13 goals to overcome their 12 goal deficit from the first round.

Any guesses to how many they'll draw?

Posted by: delantero | March 24, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Something is in the works.

Posted by: Goff | March 24, 2008 02:10 PM
-------------------------------------------

500 more posts for Goffinho ;-)

Posted by: jgildea | March 24, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Gonna miss kpene up front. To bad. as the second guy said we will all miss Mini-Drogba.

Posted by: Wilhelm | March 24, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

"Something is in the works."

Goff, are you moving to Setanta to work as Jose Mourinho's puppetmaster?

Posted by: SSMD | March 24, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I am guessing that Cezar is getting the last senior roster spot - he scored a few times in the preseason and reports from Richmond said that he was the best DCU player (although that does not say much in a 3-0 loss). If not trade is in the works (if a trade were to happen - Mediate could be the one in trouble given all of the depth players who now can outside mid - Quaranta, Kirk, Moose, Cordeiro, Barlow), then the last developmental spot goes to Owens (who was in camp and returned to school) or Curtin (who is injured and has yet to be in camp). Anyone notice that the developmental roster is 1 goalie (Thorpe), 2-3 defenders (P Carroll, Owens/Curtin, I guess Murphy is being considered a D although he played M at Virginia) and the rest are midfielders (Kirk, Barlow, Cordeiro, Stratford, J Carroll, Moose, Murphy when he does not play D) - no young forwards - guess that DCU will keep using foreign senior roster spots for players up top.

Posted by: Sylvester | March 24, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm guess jeff curtain gets cut.

Posted by: me | March 24, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Update:

Owens and Curtin are still being evaluated.

Although Jeff Carroll is sidelined for several months, he will remain on the developmental roster and be part of the 28-man squad. The club chose not to waive him (you can waive injured developmental players, but not senior players) and sign a replacement. FYI, despite the injury, his roster slot cannot be filled temporarily.

Posted by: Goff | March 24, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Kind of a shame to see any player not reach his potential, but that is life. I would be interested in seeing what kind of player Cezar is. It looks like he made Kpene expendable.

Posted by: The Tail that Wags the Dog | March 24, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand how we're looking vulnerable up front. We've seen this team for exactly TWO competetive games, one which was on a crap field, one where we exploded for 5 goals. I'd like to see this team together for at least half a dozen MLS games before we start questioning the teams roster moves.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | March 24, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Shame -- I like Kpene, in spite of his inability to put one in. He came ohsoclose in the season ender against the Crew last year. Anyone remember that one?

Also, a brilliant pass to pick out Emilio for the goal earlier in the summer, but I can't recall which match in particular.

He obv. has some talent, and I'd be surprised if San Jose or some other team lacking in striking options wouldn't give him a go.

Posted by: iammrben | March 24, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Dirtyharry, always question first. Because if it goes south, you can say "I told you so" with a smug satisfaction. If the team plays well, people will forget your naysaying in a wave of "irrational exuberance" and you can just blend in... This is sports afterall and most of the time, it is going to be disappointing, so hedge your bets on that side...

Posted by: DC Fan | March 24, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Maybe a trade for cap space?

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | March 24, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, no can do. I'm a glass half full kind of guy and always felt the FO knows what they're doing.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | March 24, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Steve:

Any chance some of the reserve/developmental guys get a loan to some of the USL-2 teams in Maryland or PA to get some minutes?

Posted by: Brian | March 24, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Very disappointed to see Kpene dropped. One of the few young players out there who was still "raw," and he gave all of us D3 athletes a Guy to support. Wish him well and hope another team is smart enough to snap him up (are you paying attention Toronto FC?). Given the way these things go, will not be surprised if he nets his first MLS goal against DCU.

Posted by: MtP | March 24, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I really did think last year that Kpene was going to find the goal soon enough. His confidence never dropped, and he obviously had the skill. It's sad to hear that he apparently did not impress in the preseason (I did notice he didn't often pop up in scrimmage/friendly lineups). If he's at his best, he's good enough to make an MLS team as a forward off the bench. San Jose should be looking at him, since they have 2 mediocre-at-best forwards and don't even have enough signed players to fill out an XI plus 7 subs. Has anyone let them know that the season starts in 6 days?

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | March 24, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sylvester | March 24, 2008 02:27 PM
-----------------

I would guess this has more to do with economics than anything. Forwards cost more money... would not fit so well under the developmental team cost structure.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | March 24, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

UNNNNNNNNNBELIEVABLE.... no mas KPENE

Posted by: vila | March 24, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

UNNNNNNNNNBELIEVABLE.... no mas KPENE

Posted by: vila | March 24, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

i still like u guy kepne good luck!!!!

Posted by: lisa | March 24, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

i still like u guy kepne good luck!!!!

Posted by: lisa | March 24, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

And....I am finally vindicated re: Kpene....thank you DCU coaches and front office. Best of luck to him, hope he catches on elsewhere and does well (except against DC).

Posted by: edgeonyou | March 24, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

With the new players we have, releasing Kpene was the right move.

Posted by: Benny Smith | March 24, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I've always considered Kpene (how does one pronounce his name, anyway?) the guy responsible for getting behind defenders to stretch them out. With Walker gone, too, do we have anyone with speed who can do that now?

Lassiter had his faults, but one thing he did was make defenders play deep, giving Etch some much-needed space. Would love to have a guy like him again.

Posted by: Joe Doc | March 24, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Does that leave the DC Real World house completely empty now? What a jinx!

Posted by: Josh | March 24, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Anyone notice that the developmental roster... are midfielders

Wouldn't be surprised to see some of those midfielders looking for a trade. A guy like Moose would do well on a side where competition was a little lighter -- where he could get more minutes.

Hard to live up to your potential when you don't get a chance to play.

Same story with Kpene -- more playing time on a lesser side would be good for his game. Sorry to see him go; I like his style. But it might be good for him in the end.

Posted by: bon voyage | March 24, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Hire Steve Sampson, he'll know what to do with those midfielders...

Posted by: RK | March 24, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Mistake to release Kpene

Posted by: Justin | March 24, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

From what I have seen I would rather release Neill. He spends more time on his back then on his feet. I would rather have baby Drogba then baby Blanco.

Posted by: Pan-T Clause | March 24, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

updated with Josh Gros news...

Posted by: Goff | March 24, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

You must be joking. A guy with Argentine first division experience vs. a guy (no pun intended) with ncaa div 2 experience and nothing to show in mls after one season in mls and, from what we can tell, a bad preseason? Wowwowowow

"From what I have seen I would rather release Neill."

Posted by: Dead Ahead | March 24, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

My sister is pleased by this Gros news...

Posted by: B.A. | March 24, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Goff: In a previous thread, someone pointed out that CSN would not be televising the April 5 home opener against TFC. The DCU Web site indicates that this match will not even be on the radio. Is this true, and if so, why?

Posted by: tri-village | March 24, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Josh Gros and Harkesey were sitting up in the Mezannine near my seats during the D.C. vs. Harbour View game and I talked with Josh briefly. He indicated to me that he would not play this year as well and he said his inclination is to not play again (ever). However, he did not tell me he was working with the team, so maybe that means he'll come back to play down the road (he must not have wanted to discuss it with a half toasted fan during a game).

Posted by: Smitty | March 24, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

B.A., I'm of the same opinion as your sister (which sounds better than the "I'm with your sister" I originally typed!) in hoping this works out for Josh. Those U-15 kids will keep him fit, though dealing with young teams may leave his head feeling concussed at the end of fitness drills.

And I hope he's cleared to come back next year. If not, then I think he'll still have more job satisfaction at United than at B.F. Saul. ;-)

Posted by: Stevan from Gaithersburg | March 24, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Both Walker, and moreso, Kpene, would fit in well with a team that played a lot of long ball, where they could outrun defenders to the ball. But given United's possession-style game, they probably are better off elsewhere, as much as it pains me to say that.

Posted by: Dsmac | March 24, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

My grandma and my mother-in-law are also pleased by this Gros news...

---------------------------------------------
My sister is pleased by this Gros news...

Posted by: B.A. | March 24, 2008 03:45 PM

Posted by: B.S. | March 24, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

"My grandma and my mother-in-law are also pleased by this Gros news..."

Two different people I hope.

Posted by: jva | March 24, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

"My grandma and my mother-in-law are also pleased by this Gros news..."

I'd rather have B.A.'s sister.

Posted by: Matterazzi | March 24, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

A bit off topic, but I noticed this from Steve's introduction to his previous post:

"We can't claim 3.7 trillion hits per month..."

You know, if we really tried...

Posted by: Joe Doc | March 24, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Colorado will sign Kpene. He's available on the cheap and fits right in with the Rapids collection of forwards who struggle to find the back of the net.

Posted by: noptov52 | March 24, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DirtyHarry | March 24, 2008 02:53 PM

=======================================
Yes. I remember that whole "glass half full" attitude from all of your movies.

Posted by: Big Fan! | March 24, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

McTavish is on Comcast's Washington Post Live tonight

Posted by: CJ | March 24, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

"We can't claim 3.7 trillion hits per month..."

You know, if we really tried...

Posted by: Joe Doc | March 24, 2008 04:19 PM
===============

Well, if he posted high quality video of the bikini runner....

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 24, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

First!!1111

Posted by: Garret | March 24, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Thats a shame about kpene, he had the potential and touch to play very good, as others have pointed out he was very raw. Maybe too raw for us to give him more time to develop, he's perfect for a team needed a holding withdrawn forward like moreno, he plays very similar and with enough time im sure he can be very very very effective for someone else, too bad.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | March 24, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Kpene arrived at camp terribly out of shape. Not a good way to make a first impression.

Posted by: Goff | March 24, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

See you guys this summer! Number 14 is available, no?

Posted by: Thierry Henry | March 24, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

He came to camp out of shape? What, has he just given up?

That is rough. Good luck to Guy wherever you he ends up.

Well, gotta say I'm a huge fan of Neil. He is going to work is tail off for DCU and it looked like he and Gallardo had a bit of an understanding.

I expect great things from Neil and am delighted he is on the team.

Posted by: bribri | March 24, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Ok, so Josh Gros is a great guy and a great example of hard work, but why would they hire him as a youth coach. More important, why would a good player want to play for someone who doesn't have any coaching background?

Posted by: jj | March 24, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

does this mean Josh will actually be coaching? or is this more of a golden handshake job? I'm with jj, i hope to heck there is a technical person handling the actual training and a good scout, not just a figurehead player with no bench experience.

Posted by: northzax | March 24, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Uh, 4 years at Rutgers plus 4 years of DC United playing experience. Yeah, I'd take him as a coach.

Oh, wait, he might not have those silly USSF A, B, C or whatever garbage licenses that are expected.

""i hope to heck there is a technical person handling the actual training and a good scout, not just a figurehead player with no bench experience.""

Posted by: delantero | March 24, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

The 3-0 defeat to Richmond just reminds me of all the defeats that MLS teams suffer when they send the reserves to play in the US Open cup. It seems that the USL first teams are superior to MLS reserves. Would this happen in Euro leagues (Barnsley aside)?

It just seems to me that the issue should be looked into. Farm teams? Pay reserves more? Put reserve teams on the PDL or USL circuit? Maybe it's not a problem at all. Opinions?

Posted by: Sean G | March 24, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Goff,
Congrats on moving off the bottom of the blog listing on the Sports Blogs & Columns page. Bumped the Wiz down. Surprised? Not!
Also good to see they finally got rid of Tony K and his last article from sometime in '06.
We'll have you at the top soon, never fear.

Posted by: marksman | March 24, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I've been out of the country the last couple of weeks and haven't seen any play. I thought Kpene had a reasonably good chance to progress this year. Obviously, the coaches didn't see it happening. C'est la futbol.

Posted by: Kire | March 24, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

How do either of you know anything about whether Gros has coaching qualifications?

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | March 24, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Attn: Marc Fischer

Posted by: delantero | March 24, 2008 02:12 PM

In case you haven't heard RFK was closed when the Nats left and only 15 soccer games are played in DC every year, I think at some park outside of Baltimore. I have papers from people that prove it but you can't see them.

I'm also pretty sure nobody will be playing or watching any girly illegal immigrant sport now that the Nats have a new stadium. I am working on an article about how most people in DC hate soccer and think it should be banned. Part of the conclusion is that RFK should be bulldozed to make room for more Nats parking and every soccer field in the district should be renovated for Nats baseball use only. The article is based on data from a very scientific study done by a pro-soccer group. Again I am the only one with the results and you can't see them.

Posted by: Rawer Fischer | March 24, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Very sorry to see Kpene go. Seemed to have great flicks to team mates but couldn't get past defenders and had no composure in the box. Hopefully he will get picked up by a USL team and have a better chance to develop his game. Kudos to Josh on finding a place with DCU. I'm still expecting to hear that he is also picking up Troy's mortgage/loan job on the side.

Posted by: JMR | March 24, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Any guesses to how many they'll draw?

Posted by: delantero | March 24, 2008 02:12 PM
=========================================

As a couple of people pointed out in a thread a while back, they could get a decent crowd for reasons that are unrelated to the importance of the game from a competitive standpoint, because it obviously has no such importance. For the fairly sizable local Salvadoran community, this is a rare opportunity to see their national team in action. It is sort of like a homecoming weekend on a university campus, where the main event is usually a pointyball game against a relatively weak opponent.

Posted by: tri-village | March 24, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Sylvester said:

"no young forwards"

Cezar is 21. Kpene was 24.

Posted by: kah | March 24, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

I still think the visit of the Anguillans would make a good human interest story, and I hope someone at the Post (not necessarily anyone in the Sports section) jumps on it.

Posted by: tri-village | March 24, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Forwards? In reserve? Lest we forget, we have a DP to use either this summer, or more likely, next year.

I foresee a raising of team and player caps, allowing DC to keep Emilio, without using the DP slot on him. Then, bringing in a reputable scorer. Probably not Thierry Henry, unless he's tired of playing in the World Cup -- but somebody fairly decent, even if his national team days might be in the past. Luis Figo remains a possibility, but...

So, for '09, DCU can have a DP alongside Emilio. Backing them up would be Moreno in reserve for one last season, and possibly either or both Cezar and Quaranta (if one or the other, or both, pan out)-- plus, no doubt, a top draft pick or two in development, and maybe another foreign national (Gazidis has all but announced that teams will be allowed to add more foreign players with the expansion the next two seasons).

I think the FO has a good long view here.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | March 24, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Regarding josh gros and his new position: does anyone else get the sense that those are going to be some very tired 15 year olds. ?

Posted by: pigman sweet | March 24, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Sure, I'm just fantasizing about getting a big name striker, but just imagine if DCU wins thc CCC and qualifies for the next Club World Cup. Maybe, they also bring home the MLS Cup this year. Might make them an attractive prospect for an established striker. It could pay off for the team, as well. Until they get the new SSS, they could benefit from a big enough name to put some bodies in those empty upper deck seats at RFK.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | March 24, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

I foresee a raising of team and player caps...
=========================================

Do you also foresee a raising of the limit on DPs, to two or more? If it isn't raised, then the clock will strike midnight and the second slot will revert to Colorado in a couple of years, complicating things. If it is raised, then DCU will be able to keep a second DP, even after Colorado gets its DP slot back.

Posted by: tri-village | March 24, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Goff: Will you have any further involvement with the Post's college basketball coverage?

Posted by: tri-village | March 24, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

I think CSN is delaying the game.

Also, the MLS Direct Kick (DK) pay-per-view package has a free-preview period on 3/29.

Three games (TFC at Columbus, Chicago at RSL and DC at KC) will be presented free on those cable/satellite providers who carry the MLS Direct Kick package. Contact your provider to see what channels are being used and to ensure that the free preview is indeed taking place.

As for the home opener versus TFC on 4/5 (if this is indeed not on CSN or radio anywhere), it seems like a effort to either get people out to RFK or to buy the DK package (or both).

Posted by: MLS Direct Kick TV | March 24, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

or (if you must watch the game on TV) you could try to pick up a satellite signal of Rogers Sportsnet from Canada:

Posted by: TFC's visit | March 24, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

I'll miss Kpene and hope he catches on somewhere else.

I believe his no-look defense splitting pass to set up Emilio was in a game at New England (someone mentioned it upthread). That was probably his pro highlight and what I'll remember him for.

Ultimately though he didn't produce too much in spite of a fair amount of playing time. The potential and skill seemed to be there but such players are often vulnerable to roster cuts.

Posted by: garbaggio | March 24, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Comcast has tape delayed DC's game at K.C. Is it on anywhere else, or do we have to sit at the computer? Good going Josh. Good luck at DC. Those kids will be fit, and that's for sure, with you showing them how.

Posted by: Bubbles | March 24, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Re: Gros' coaching experience: Not sure where I know this from, but Gros helped out with a high school team or youth squad over the past few years.

Posted by: Looking Dangerous | March 24, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tri-village | March 24, 2008 07:08 PM
================

Ditto. Space is tough to get in the Sports section, but there always seems to be space in Style.

My compliments to El Editor de Deportes (I can never remember the man's name), on the EPL summaries in Sunday's paper. I'm sure soccer non-fans are fuming at the coverage of furr'ners playing in furr'n countries (exemptions granted for MLB games in Japan).

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 24, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

*off-topic*

In the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants movie, in Bridget's room, she has a DC United poster...

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 24, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

So I missed McT on comcast, I flip it over at 950 and they are replaying Chelsea/Arsenal...
Now that I missed that, do they replay the comcast with Devon later?
I already missed Ben when he was on.
F-------ck.
Someone holler dude.
Stop lamenting Kpene and save me from this crap my wife is trying to watch.

Posted by: Madryan | March 24, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

"Stop lamenting Kpene and save me from this crap my wife is trying to watch."

What is Dancing with the Stars, and then The Bachelor, Alex?

Posted by: RK | March 24, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

"Stop lamenting Kpene and save me from this crap my wife is trying to watch."

Is it called 'Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants'?

Posted by: ChickFlick | March 24, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

damn that sucks. I thought Kpene would be a very good replacement to Jaime in the future. He will go to another team and come back to haunt us, mark my words.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 24, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Any word on a sponsor, Goff? Rumor is the announcement is coming in the next day...

Posted by: dale DC United | March 24, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Is it called 'Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants'?

Posted by: ChickFlick | March 24, 2008 10:02 PM

Hey I'm not the one watching it...my sister is and she told me...I hate that bloody film...

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 24, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

kpene got picked by REAL MADRID!!!!!!

Posted by: TOMSOHN | March 24, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Sponsor news is like stadium news...zzzzzzz...

Posted by: RK | March 24, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pigman sweet | March 24, 2008 07:17 PM

best line of the whole thread.

Honestly, I was wondering why Kpene was around as long as he was. I know he had potential but potential doesn't win games.

Great for Gros.

Posted by: gilbert | March 24, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

What is Antiques Road show followed by the gaaaaaaayme show with Howie Mandell(sp?).?
So I have another problem, unless there is some truth in DK giving a freebee on the 29th. I'll be out at the in laws in Marshall and I started memberin' bout how I caught a game or two last year out there but they were on spanish speaking tele...
I'd love to watch the game in Spanish but it looks like the game won't even be on Telefutura...
If worse comes to worse and I can't get this DK for free, are there any bars out in Marshall, or nearby that would show the game.
where will the game be on in Faquier county?

Posted by: Madryan | March 24, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know where an Alexandria girl with Comcast can watch Italia & Espana rock the (friendly) pitch on Wednesday?

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 24, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

not FUNNY at all TOMSOHN. KPENE KPENE KPENE KPENE KPENE KPENE KPENE KPENE KPENE KPENE KPENE KPENE KPENE KPENE KPENE KPENE

Posted by: Anonymous | March 24, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Replay of washington post live yields McT. It's DC United week on Comcast so look the F---ck out!
Stiil wondering if there is a Sports Bar in FAquier(sp?) county that will be showing the DCU vs KC game.
If Kpene showed up to preseason out of shape he obviously didn't have his priorities straight(or his fans priorities for that matter).
Got's to step your game up dog.
I guess he wasn't listening when I told him to stop messing with his hair and put the ball in the Fudgin' net.

Posted by: Dadryan | March 24, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Goff | March 24, 2008 05:01 PM

Well, that'll certainly tank one's chances. Not that I know anything about Kpene and what's going on in his life but I still find this a bit surprising. As someone else said, did he give up?

Per usual, I find myself in agreement with what Chest Rockwell said, what does anyone here actually know about Gros's coaching abilities? I truly doubt anyone knows enough to intelligently question them. Ah, but it's the internet and anyone can say anything. I suppose that's the beauty of it and the er, the rest.

Posted by: Kire | March 25, 2008 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else out there playing fantasy mls this year?
Buckingham Reperesent.

Posted by: Dadryan | March 25, 2008 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 24, 2008 10:45 PM

We can make it happen at my place.

Posted by: sitruc | March 25, 2008 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sitruc | March 25, 2008 1:39 AM | Report abuse

"." is the new ?.(?)

Posted by: sitruc | March 25, 2008 1:41 AM | Report abuse

Out of shape for training camp? Who does he think he is, a baseball player?

Posted by: Matt in Silver Spring | March 25, 2008 4:47 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone mentioned that the new USNT away jerseys have been "officially" unveiled and are on sale.

Posted by: sitruc | March 25, 2008 01:39 AM

-----------------------
anyone remember when red, white, and blue were our colors? i understand ussf's desire to sell more jerseys, but can we at least stop with the golds, grays, and whatever other stupid color they come up with? if they ever go with teal, i stop watching.

Posted by: troy | March 25, 2008 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sitruc | March 25, 2008 01:39 AM

That looks very familiar... I wonder when the MNT are getting jersey sponsors..

Posted by: gilbert | March 25, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse

The only good thing about the new kits is that I was able to get the old kits for my boys at a deep discount.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 25, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 24, 2008 10:45 PM

We can make it happen at my place.

Posted by: sitruc | March 25, 2008 01:16 AM
--------
I meant the channel...ha...

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 25, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

@ Dadryan: would you be so kind as to put an end to the cussing?

Sure, it's a free country and all, so you CAN do it, but do you HAVE to do it?

Soccer Insider has earned a great reputation, thanks to Steve. Let's do him a favor and live up to his standards.

Posted by: Joe Doc | March 25, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Joe Doc. We should show more respect for the service that Steve and the Post provide. A number of posters use the * key, etc., which may elude banned word detectors, but don't obscure the word at all. I have done this on occasion. I pledge not to do it anymore.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 25, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

On my screen those new US away jerseys look black and red...

You can try to emulate United...hopefully you can emulate the play also...

Posted by: seahawkdad | March 25, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

*signs the no-cursing petition even though she doesn't curse anyway*

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 25, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

******** ;-)

Posted by: troy | March 25, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 24, 2008 09:14 PM
==========================================

Where is Bridget said to reside in this story? Some years ago I was on a cross-country flight where a (forgettable) film called Pay It Forward was shown. The protagonist was a 12-year-old Nevadan whose bedroom is festooned with multiple items of Black and Red paraphernalia. (And this was just a couple of years after MLS and DCU came into existence.) I don't think it was explained how he acquired this passion, but then again, I wasn't exactly paying attention.

Posted by: tri-village | March 25, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

@ Posted by: tri-village | March 25, 2008 12:13 PM

LOL, I saw "Pay It Forward" and stopped watching because of the horrid acting. Bridget's from Bethesda, MD. I think. I read the books which were annoying themselves and the movie's a bit dreary so my memory might not be spot-on.

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 25, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

My bad on the bad words.
I agree that I shouldn't be blowing up the spot like that.
Goff's the man and I appreciate all his hard work.
You guys must have been bored and realized work was real slow and you decided to play mommy to the Daddy, Sorry Mommy I'll try to never swear again, and I'll also be sure to admonish those who do.
Can't wait for the season to start so we can nit pick the team instead of my stream of unconciousness.

Posted by: dadryan | March 25, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse