Quaranta and DCU, Together Again

[updated with more details at the bottom]

A week into his trial, Santino Quaranta has reached agreement on a contract with D.C. United. Quaranta came on as a reserve in United's first match with Chivas USA yesterday, then started and played about 33 minutes in the night game before leaving with some tightness in his hamstring.

Quaranta "looks fit and is focused...just needs match sharpness after a long layoff" following foot surgery last fall, DCU General Manager Dave Kasper said.

On the RFK front, the baseball foul poles have finally been removed and the Nationals' team store is in the process of being converted into a DCU outlet.

[updated] Back to Santino.......

He tells me he signed a standard senior roster contract with lots of incentives, such as percentage of games played, assists, etc. His base salary is smaller than in the past, but "It wasn't about the money; I could have gone somewhere else for more. I just wanted the opportunity to start over and prove myself in D.C."

Commenting on his recovery from foot surgery and his reemergence after being waived by New York, he said: "It's been an amazing journey. I have worked so hard to get back. A month ago, I didn't know what was going to happen. I admit, I was scared."

Quaranta said his hamstring did, in fact, tigthen up last night and he left the game for precautionary reasons. "Kevin Payne is in the stands, Dave Kasper is in the stands, I'm getting ready to sign a contract, I can't afford to get hurt now!" he said. He plans to be available for tomorrow night's match against Toronto at the Texas Pro Soccer Festival.

He has also been told that he'll be included on the 18-man travel roster for next week's Champions Cup opener at Harbour View.

By Steve Goff  |  March 6, 2008; 3:04 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Olympic Preparation
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

welcome back, tino!

Posted by: pat | March 6, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Good for him and United. He still needs to bring a few kegs over to Lot 8!

Posted by: johnk | March 6, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

well well well welcome !! u better stp it up tino or ill come and kick ur ass

Posted by: 135 | March 6, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

ill take a keg as john said i ll also take a jersey with an autograph!!!! Welcome back dude seem like we are going to go drinking after so long !!!

Posted by: 135 | March 6, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back, Santino!! Play strong, Brother.

Posted by: Smitty | March 6, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

welcome back tino. stay focused and you'll be the success we've all hoped you'd be.

Posted by: Benson | March 6, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Senor Goff: I'm presuming it's a senior contract? I mean, I can't imagine either the team offering, or him accepting, anything other than a senior contract -- it'd be a real slap in the face to offer him a developmental -- but technically, he's young enough that a developmental is a possibility (if very very unlikely), so I want to make sure.

Posted by: Bootsy | March 6, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I think Tino and Quavas will end up being real steals this year. Tino will likely have a small cap hit for a guy with his experience and Quavas is Gen-Ad, so doesn't count against the cap. With Benny injured I can see both these guys alternating at Right-Mid and playing important minutes throughout the year even when Benny's back. This is a great signing because even if he doesn't pan out, we aren't paying much for him.

Posted by: Sam | March 6, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Yes, he agreed to a regular contract. He is one of the 18 on the senior roster.

Posted by: Goff | March 6, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

"On the RFK front, the baseball foul poles have finally been removed and the Nationals' team store is in the process of being coverted into a DCU outlet."

Excellent.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | March 6, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

They should have let the supporter's groups pull the foul poles down.

Posted by: Ron | March 6, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Presuming Mediate gets signed as expected, that leaves just two spots on the senior roster, with four players currently vying for those two spots: Dyachenko, Gardner, Kpene, and Walker.

Posted by: Bootsy | March 6, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

ADDENDUM: I forgot Blumer and Cesar are possibilities for the senior roster as well, but Cesar (if signed at all) is more likely a developmental. I dunno about Blumer.

Posted by: Bootsy | March 6, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Its probably going to be Quaranta starting or maybe Kirk next week.

Posted by: United fury | March 6, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Tino Bueno!!!!!

Posted by: stencom1 | March 6, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back Santino!

I wish you nothing but the best on, and more importantly, off the field!

Make us proud!!

Posted by: apqjr | March 6, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Past transgressions aside and future performances left to be judged.

I like this move because it shows (should their ever be a real transfer market or some manner of free-agency in the new CBA) that there are players out there that realize what it means to put on a DC shirt and to step onto the pitch at RFK/Poplar Point. I only hope that we as fans continue to expect results from our club and that our owners commit to fielding a great product and rewarding player efforts with the best contracts possible. Everyone, owners, players, coaches, fans, staff, etc should be proud of what is here in DC and know that our silverware is real compared to the plastic trophies in LA LA Land.

Good Luck Tino. Earn back the respect of the supporters and we'll be behind the resumption of your once promising career.

Posted by: Proud of the Badge | March 6, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

"They should have let the supporter's groups pull the foul poles down."

SPOT. ON. That's hilarious.

Posted by: str8red | March 6, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Highlandtown is back in da house, Hon!!!

Welcome back Tino. Reprezent the East (Baltimore) like your Charm City homies know you can!!!

Posted by: yankiboy | March 6, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back, Tino. Focus on staying healthy, then focus on getting in the starting lineup. Good luck!

I hope you know that if you work hard and contribute, no one will remember the past at all. You're 23 and still have a bright future. Sounds like you know that now.

Posted by: DCaustinite | March 6, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back Tino!

Good work as always Goff.

Posted by: strago | March 6, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sam | March 6, 2008 03:24 PM

==========================================
I agree. Great moves by DC United. This was one very productive offseason. I hope that it ends up with them winning multiple trophies. Great work though, regardless of the outcome.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 6, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Tino's had some ups and downs in his career. But he's already MLS' leading alltime scorer.

At least as far as players whose last names begin with "Q". Don't have time right now to check the other 25 letters.

Posted by: garbaggio | March 6, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

The more I think about this the more i must say, this pleases me greatly. Prodigal son and all that.

Posted by: DCAustinite | March 6, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back,
Your dreams were your ticket out.

Welcome back,
To that same old place that you laughed about.

Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
But those dreams have remained and they're turned around.

Who'd have thought they'd lead ya (Who'd have thought they'd lead ya)
Here where we need ya (Here where we need ya)

Yeah we tease him a lot cause we've hot him on the spot, welcome back,
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

Posted by: John_Sebastian_not_Veron | March 6, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

John Sebastian. Wow. Nice catch with those lyrics. Wow.

Posted by: Bootsy | March 6, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see Tino on a good track!
Don't worry, Lot 8/Barra/Eagles, There 's beer coming!

Posted by: Billtimore | March 6, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Paint me officially excited about this season. this squad is really taking shape.

I nominate singing 'young americans' if/when tino/quavas score a goal.

Posted by: DCAustinite | March 6, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Goffs, tons of stuff today. Thanks man. You're making a slow day easier to bear.

Posted by: Matte | March 6, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

WELCOME BACK!!!

Posted by: andrew | March 6, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Brilliant use of the Kotter lyrics. I can hear the Nest singing it in unison right now! :-D

Posted by: CMJ | March 6, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if they are going to place bleachers behind the empty part of the field where the 3rd base line used to be? I think DC should add more seats to the lower bowl and make it even more intimate like it used to be before the Nats came here.

Posted by: DC United Fan | March 6, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

...and I'm afraid of Americans when they f-up.

Posted by: jgildea | March 6, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

"DCU Outlet"?!?! Does that mean I can actually get some stuff on sale before the end of the season?

Posted by: yankiboy | March 6, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh...the on-again off-again love affair with Tino is, well back on. Welcome back Tino. Now do the business and do it right, son.

Goff...what would we do with out you? The loving chants of a thousand fans hail you.

Posted by: Kosh | March 6, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Tino: "A month ago, I didn't know what was going to happen. I admit, I was scared."

Fear can be a great motivator. Any man with a wife and child can appreciate this. "Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain."

Way to do what needed doing, Tino. Now make us proud on the pitch.

Posted by: Joe Doc | March 6, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Welcome home, tino.

Posted by: Bubbles | March 6, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

See, he was just warding off the bad luck when he made the infamous gesture towards la Barra..

Posted by: Guido | March 6, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

is santino italian?

Posted by: the jim | March 6, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Another good thing about Quavas is that he's played right back with the U-20s for a spell, so he could help with depth there if Namoff gets hurt or just needs a breather.

Posted by: jrnail23 | March 6, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Benfica down 2-0 in uefa cup. Cardozo red carded at 9 minutes. I mourn.

Posted by: troy | March 6, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Benfica scores! A man down mantorras cracks one from 35 meters. There is hope!

Posted by: troy | March 6, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game last nite in Cibolo, and I am happy for Tino---he looks lean and ready for the season. I am happy he is getting a second chance. Kudos to Mr Kasper! Viva DC UNITED.

Posted by: Leo | March 6, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

troy, saw your earlier post -- it is incredible that Getafe has come from completely unknown to becoming a 3rd viable club in Madrid. No mas Rayo Vallecano...Getafe is definitely in the 'burbs...

Wasn't it just this morning that people were thinking Tino was still too out of shape to play because of his hammy injury?

Posted by: RK | March 6, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back. I sure hope that you're as hungry to play as you sound.

Posted by: DCUMD | March 6, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff, i got a question. I dont know if this has ever been asked, but does DC Have full suits to match each other when going to play abroad? Like alot of the big international teams like Boca, River, Even atlas(mexico) as i am watching right now.

Or does anyone else know?

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | March 6, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Bolivian DC Fan --- Yes, United players all have nice black suits with red ties (or at least they did when Piotr was the boss) for away matches.
Hopefully Quavas Kirk doesn't come stylin' in a fancy bright red suit to be different, I gather from reading The Bog that he likes to roll like that :-)

Posted by: Lonnie | March 6, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Have the store hours been set for this so-called "DCU outlet" whose existence I will not believe until I see it with my own beady lil' eyes?

Posted by: Juan-John | March 6, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Welcome home, tino.

Posted by: Bubbles | March 6, 2008 04:29 PM
---------------------------------------

"Yo, the game's out there, and it's play or get played. That simple."

Posted by: Omar | March 6, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Welcome home, tino.

Posted by: Bubbles | March 6, 2008 04:29 PM
---------------------------------------

"Yo, the game's out there, and it's play or get played. That simple."

Posted by: Omar | March 6, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Juan-John

If you head over to the DCU forum on bigsoccer.com there is a whole thread (with pictures) of the DCU store coming to RFK (they're just revamping the old Nats store). Nathan (aka Sultan of Swag) has been posting updates of new merchandise and progress in the store.

K

Posted by: SEKim | March 6, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Earn this, Santino.

Posted by: RCD | March 6, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

12 days to the first home match!

Posted by: Curious | March 6, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

I thought DCU had some sort of discovery claim again. Did Santino really have a choice to come here?

Posted by: Glaucon | March 6, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

A Sporting Issue

Editorial piece on potential DCU stadium

Posted by: sitruc | March 7, 2008 3:52 AM | Report abuse

Thank you sitruc.
It is a well balanced editorial and a lot of people here have said the same things over the past few months.

Posted by: marksman | March 7, 2008 5:24 AM | Report abuse

You wishy washy bunch of wimps. Wheere are all the hooligans who would never accept Tino back? The dude shook his junk at you. What a bunch of clowns you are. Grow a set and boo the classless Tino on opening night.

Posted by: Mark Lisi | March 7, 2008 5:33 AM | Report abuse

Thank you sitruc.

Posted by: marksman | March 7, 2008 05:24 AM
---------------------
I disagree. What exactly did the editorial say, other than to rehash the events of the past months/years? Nothing. I thought an editorial was supposed to take a stand on an issue. What is the Washington Post's stand? Who knows, because they didn't take one. In the end, all they called for was transparency, which is nice, but... I would have liked to see the Post take a position on this issue.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | March 7, 2008 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Tino -

Welcome back homie! Hope we can get some golf in again!

-rw

Posted by: the phlip | March 7, 2008 7:41 AM | Report abuse

I agree with schmuckatelli, and if any the editorial fails to mention that the team is willing to pay for the stadium. More onesided slanted perspective from the Washington Post. I urge everyone to comment on that pice or write in to the letters to the editor or Deborah Howell, the ombusdman.

Posted by: Chico | March 7, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

I'm late to the thread, but I have to say welcome back to Tino. I think this move pays off for the FO in a big way. We add quality depth on the outside and the contract has a low-base, with performance incentives. Tino will be rewarded for quality play. We won't pay him much to sit on the bench. Good deal for both sides.

Posted by: GoldenChild | March 7, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

YEAH - DCU Listened to me! Welcome back Tino!

Posted by: bobf | March 7, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

"has said he wouldn't support any deal in which the city picks up the full tab but is open to a public-private partnership"

Well-balanced? That mischaracterizes the entire process, as if DCU were trying to get something for nothing. It has always been that way...

Posted by: RK | March 7, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Santino! Come here. What's the matter with you? I think your brain's going soft with all that comedy you're playing with that young girl. Never tell anyone outside the Family what you're thinking again!
-Don Corleone