Quiet Morning, Busy Afternoon

The Commish is coming! The Commish is coming!

Yes, Don Garber is scheduled to attend D.C. United's annual kickoff luncheon today and will surely provide blog-worthy material. For now, however, just a few things to pass along:

*GolTV has purchased the U.S. rights to show Germany's 2010 World Cup qualifiers as well as six friendlies, including the match against England in November in Berlin.

*Thanks to its Algarve Cup championship in Portugal this month, the USA women have returned to the top of FIFA's world rankings, ahead of Germany, Brazil, Sweden and Norway. It's a nice honor, but unless the Americans atone for last fall's Women's World Cup embarrassment against Brazil at this summer's Olympics, rankings do not carry much weight. Olympic qualifying begins Wednesday in Mexico.

*Big news out of the Meadowlands: The Red Bulls have announced participants in their celebrity match preceding the season opener April 5 at Giants Stadium. The list includes former Italian national team players Luigi di Biagio, Giuseppe Signori and Angelo Peruzzi; "Survivor" contestants Ethan Zohn and Jenna Morasca; and Jets place kicker Mike Nugent. (What? No Eli Manning?)

By Steve Goff  |  March 25, 2008; 8:57 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Murphy, Cezar, Kpene [updated]
Next: USA World Cup Qualifier to RFK?

Comments

Hope United can squeeze a practice in before the luncheon.

Posted by: DirtyHarry | March 25, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

The Crew have signed another Aregentine. Former QPR left back Gino Padula.

Posted by: GLD134 | March 25, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

For a second I thought you were going to say "Jets placekicker Tony Meola."

But then I remembered he's playing indoor for the NJ Ironmen:

Posted by: kicker | March 25, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

-----
I am so glad. I rather see games on GolTV than damn ESPN filled with commercials.

Posted by: td | March 25, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Can you ask the commish (or someone from DC) if the live Direct Kick broadcast (KC's broadcast) of opening night will be available to DC fans with the package or will it be blacked out?

Posted by: ACS | March 25, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

The fact (according to wikipedia) that the NJ Ironmen (indoor team) have two players "on loan from Crystal Palace Baltimore" is fantastic.

Posted by: year-round | March 25, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Woo! Guess I'll have to finally bow down to RCN's horrible rates and get GolTV. Go Germany!

Posted by: BayernMunich | March 25, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

----
----

There is a free preview of Direct Kick (the DC package available via cable/satellite providers) on 3/29.

So anyone with access to a provider (cable or satellite) who will offer the package, will be able to see the three DK games for free on 3/29 (Toronto at Columbus, Chicago at Salt Lake, and DC at KC).

Contact your local provider for details on channels used for these matches and to ensure they are part of the free preview.

Posted by: Free preview. | March 25, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Goff, do you know what type of programs Comcast SportsNet has in line this week in reference to DC United's opening match? I have seen several commercials about it, but cannot find anything on their website. Thank you.

Posted by: DC United Fan | March 25, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

For a second I thought you were going to say "Jets placekicker Tony Meola."

But then I remembered he's playing indoor for the NJ Ironmen:

Posted by: kicker | March 25, 2008 09:35 AM
-----------------------------------
For a few minutes I watched the Ironmen play Milwaukee the other night on FSC. I felt like a bystander driving past an auto accident -- simultaneously sick to my stomach and stunned.

I watched Meola try to make a save (he was out of position) and he ended up diving frantically into the back of the net as the ball went past him. I felt bad for the guy; he should have hung up his cleats after leaving MLS.

Meanwhile: Kudos to Pia!

Posted by: Joe Doc | March 25, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

If Goff doesn't have the full info on CSN's programming plans (and I don't know why he would) --

Send Correspondence and Other Inquiries to:

Comcast SportsNet
7700 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 200
Bethesda, MD. 20814
Phone number: (301) 718-3200

viewermail@comcastsportsnet.com

Posted by: go to the source | March 25, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I rather see games on GolTV than damn ESPN filled with commercials.

Posted by: td | March 25, 2008 09:37 AM

Last time I checked, GolTV had commercials too. They are just in Spanish and mainly for low-cost phone cards

Posted by: Hunter | March 25, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Goodness gracious. I thought that celebrity matches were only part of the all star weekend drunken festivities. Well, if they;re going to do this, they should invite the Shue siblings and Jon Stewart.

RE: Meola. MISL is really going to screw up his career GAA.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 25, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Goff Ask Gaber about Miami Expansion possibilities. We would like to hear update on expansion.

Posted by: Jim | March 25, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

While I would be elated if The Don or Mr. MacFarlane or Mr. Chang would have some good news for us on some different fronts today - eh, I'll pass.

That said - today is a great day for DC's charitable arm and I encourage all who are DC fans or fans of humanity to go/give/volunteer at some point this year.

Volunteering is especially important and there is no more grass roots way to pass on your love and passion for a sport than by volunteering to help DC United grow the supporters and give them some of the joy that we all take from the game.

Posted by: Snooze button | March 25, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I rather see games on GolTV than damn ESPN filled with commercials.

Posted by: td | March 25, 2008 09:37 AM

Posted by: Hunter | March 25, 2008 09:47 AM

================

or magic fat-reducing cream

Posted by: WNT fan | March 25, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

GolTV is also going to show Spanish and Italian WC Qualifiers.

Posted by: Kim | March 25, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

or magic fat-reducing cream

Posted by: WNT fan | March 25, 2008 10:09 AM

=========================

Sauna Twin! That commercial makes me retch.

Posted by: Jason | March 25, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Unless I'm missing something by being a DirecTV customer, GolTV better get their butts in gear and start broadcasting in HD. ESPN and ABC both did, and going back to the blurry picture will suck.

Posted by: Jason Sparks | March 25, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Worst thing about GolTV is their filler music -- and the fact that it is twice as loud as the rest of the audio.

Posted by: RK | March 25, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I subscribed to DirectKick, but so far DirecTV has not updated any guides to show DK channels. What channels should I be looking for come Saturday evening? Thanks for the help! The DTV site still lists all 2007 DK information!

Posted by: Garrett | March 25, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Here's hoping that Ray Hudson will do the commentating on the WCQualifiers.

Posted by: FanofHudson | March 25, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

For a second I thought you meant those celebrities were SIGNED by the Red Bulls...whoa would that have been strange! :)

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 25, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

crap! Time Warner Cable doesn't carry GolTV!

Posted by: pat | March 25, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Here's the link to today's chat about traffic and the new Nationals stadium, for those with questions on how they plan to manage parking on days when both DCU and the Nats play (like Wednesday, April 9):

Posted by: Juan-John | March 25, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

wait...

"the U.S. rights to show Germany's 2010 World Cup qualifiers"

i skipped over "Germany" there... disaster averted.

Posted by: pat | March 25, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Free preview. | March 25, 2008 09:41 AM
===============================
"Free Preview on Comcast Digital Cable on April 7th" http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Programming/sports/MLSDirectKick.html

No season opener freebie on DK

Posted by: Jason | March 25, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Goltv commercials?

"I am gonna call my brother in sau paolo-we grew up together"

"I am gonna my sister in london-she's my best friend"

"I am gonna call my mother in india-she can speak to the kids".

These commercials are the most irritating things I have ever seen.

But ray hudson-he makes it all worthwhile.

Posted by: pigman sweet | March 25, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC United Fan | March 25, 2008 09:41 AM
==========================================

The match will be shown on a delayed basis Saturday night:

Sunday evening rebroadcast:

Posted by: tri-village | March 25, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Better calling-card commercials:

"I am gonna call my trainer in New York. I need more HGH."

"I am gonna call the Emperor's Club VIP. I have an upcoming meeting in DC."

"I am going to call... None of your business who I call. I am the Vice-President. I don't have to tell you whom I call or meet with."

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 25, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

J - E - T - S Jets, Jets Jets

Best anti-Meola chant ever

Posted by: dtd | March 25, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

----------
----------

That's old info from 2007 (last season).

Comcast hasn't updated their website, yet (and they might not by this weekend).

I'd contact them directly to get an answer.

Here's the league's press release:

Now they just have to make sure the cable/satellite providers can implement this plan (for the free preview) by this Saturday.

Posted by: DK | March 25, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hunter | March 25, 2008 09:47 AM

Gol TV still has the better announcers who seem much more knowledgeable on US soccer and the MLS compared to FSC and ESPN.

I have to go call my friend in Sao Paulo and tell him I got the tickets!

Posted by: Guy from Sao Paulo | March 25, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Goltv commercials?

"I am gonna call my brother in sau paolo-we grew up together"

"I am gonna my sister in london-she's my best friend"

"I am gonna call my mother in india-she can speak to the kids".

These commercials are the most irritating things I have ever seen.

But ray hudson-he makes it all worthwhile.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Pedro I did it, I got the tickets."
"Guess what? Im engaged."
"________ just scored her first goal."

The babe getting married is kinda hot.

Posted by: Matt | March 25, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

From that MLS press release:

------
Direct Kick returns for the league's thirteenth season and is available on any of three separate outlets. Starting March 29, satellite TV providers DIRECTV and DISH Network®, along with digital cable provider iN DEMAND Networks, will once again each present regional telecasts of Major League Soccer action. Major League Soccer has collaborated with all three providers to offer a FREE PREVIEW period for the MLS Direct Kick package on opening day, March 29.
-------

Posted by: DC at KC on DK for Free | March 25, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Goff: I know that the league front office (Gazidis, I think) has already declined to comment on the record on CBS' report that Becks has an option to buy into the league, but can you get anything out of Garber or anyone else, on or off the record? If the option was extended to him by AEG, they have only two teams to offer: the Galaxy and the Dynamo (and the De La Hoya gang has a piece of the latter). The other possibility, that he has a deal with the league with regard to a possible expansion team, is even less plausible, since surely the league wishes to maintain tight control over when and where teams are added.

Posted by: tri-village | March 25, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Gary Busey makes it happen.

Posted by: Jason | March 25, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Better calling-card commercials:

"I am gonna call my trainer in New York. I need more HGH."

"I am gonna call the Emperor's Club VIP. I have an upcoming meeting in DC."

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 25, 2008 11:53 AM
---------------------------------
So?

Posted by: Joe Doc | March 25, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, Mike Nugent? I don't remember him playing soccer at tOSU...

Maybe he's trying to moonlight.

Posted by: Sportznut21 (and Buckeye fan) | March 25, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

forget the girl getting engaged, i like the indian mom! imilf. however, i find ray hudson quite annoying, so my views might be in the minority around here...

Posted by: *cough* | March 25, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Check this out i found it on craigslist anyone interested?

I am thinking of getting some if his(her) things!!

Posted by: DCU Stuff | March 25, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Is I-270 a standup who got lost on his way to open mike night or something?

(Not that I am complaining, he's a funny dude, but he's chosen an odd venue)

Posted by: Andrew | March 25, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Check this out i found it on craigslist anyone interested?

I am thinking of getting some if his(her) things!!

Posted by: DCU Stuff | March 25, 2008 12:30 PM

This person actually has very cool things !! thanks for the heads up DCU Stuff!!

Posted by: DC United Maniac | March 25, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, Mike Nugent? I don't remember him playing soccer at tOSU...

Maybe he's trying to moonlight.

Posted by: Sportznut21 (and Buckeye fan) | March 25, 2008 12:06 PM

His brother Kevin played at OSU, so it must run in the family. I believe Mike played in HS

Posted by: JLC543 | March 25, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

-------
-------

Personally, I think part-ownership by Beckham (and Fuller) in a new MLS franchise in 2012 is a real possibility. I doubt AEG would let the Galaxy go, but what do I know. Perhaps Beckham will get to be a part owner of the Galaxy (with AEG still as the primary owner).

The most detailed article I've seen on Beckham's contract was by Wahl in SI:

-------
There is more to Beckham's deal than the guaranteed salary, however. Beckham will also earn 40-to-50 percent of Galaxy jersey sales and an undisclosed share of ticket revenues. And that's not all. "There are certain aspects of the deal that are ultimately about the upside value of the league as a whole that David can participate in," says Leiweke. "Our partners all had to sign off, and they did. We had a couple of interesting board calls, but they did."
-------

Don't know if Goff or anyone can dig up any addition info about the "upside value of the league" and how that might relate to David Beckham after 2011.

Posted by: Printing Money? | March 25, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joe Doc | March 25, 2008 09:43 AM

I saw some of that and it almost wasn't funny.

------

"the U.S. rights to show Germany's 2010 World Cup qualifiers"

i skipped over "Germany" there... disaster averted.

Posted by: pat | March 25, 2008 11:10 AM

I misread that several times in a row and was ready to be pissed off and do or say nothing about it.

Posted by: sitruc | March 25, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

The post by "Cough" is totally right. Ray Hudson is annoying. He used to be a funny and informed soccer analyst. Now, he is a screeming banshee who is annoying along with his partner Phil Schoen. I now watch the Liga games on mute. I guess the people that love Hudson must also think highly of Schoen, no?

Posted by: Leo | March 25, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I'd take Hudson and Schoen over ANY of the ESPN, FSC commentators any day of the week. With Hudson you get passion. With O'Brien and Bretos you get inane mindless babble.

Posted by: Ronaldinho | March 25, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I am guessing DCU Stuff is the original poster of the craigslist ad, viral marketing.

Posted by: pat | March 25, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Goff chase another moneychanger away from the temple just the other day?

Posted by: tri-village | March 25, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I do like the Schoen and Hudson combo, I have no problems with Bretos, but the best announcer in the US, by far, is Derek Rae and I hope he will be the top announcer for the Euro' championship this summer.

Posted by: Red Devil | March 25, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

United/Wizards to be on channel 694 @ 8:00PM.

Posted by: Game on DirecTV | March 25, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pat | March 25, 2008 01:15 PM

Didn't Goff chase another moneychanger away from the temple just the other day?

Posted by: tri-village | March 25, 2008 01:21 PM

No i am not i just put this name because if the posting that i did! I wish i had all that u think i would be selling those things!!

Posted by: DCU Stuff | March 25, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

According to schedule cards handed out today - SuperLiga looks like it has deals with ESPN2 and FSC.

SOLID!

Posted by: TELEVISION | March 25, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

where do people go when Goff doesnt post !!!

Posted by: 135 | March 25, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

where do people go when Goff doesnt post !!! anything?

Posted by: 135 | March 25, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

where do people go when Goff doesnt post !!! anything?

Posted by: 135 | March 25, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

----------------

Really? If so, this is huge news for the promotion of that tournament.

Posted by: Phil | March 25, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Man. The hecklers are out in force today.

(To the rest of the audience)
This is what happens when siblings marry.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 25, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

...This is what happens when siblings marry.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 25, 2008 03:04 PM
___
I'm sure this is supposed to be funny, but I don't get it...

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 25, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JLC543 | March 25, 2008 12:39 PM

----

I believe he's said in interviews that if he wasn't playing football, he'd play soccer.

Posted by: Sarah | March 25, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Awesome that GOLTv will show Germany, Italy, and Spain's WCQs!

Posted by: bigups | March 26, 2008 6:18 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure this is supposed to be funny, but I don't get it...

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 25, 2008 03:31 PM
==========
Stand up comic's canned response to hecklers.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 26, 2008 7:55 AM | Report abuse

About the GolTV commercials...I kinda like the one where Hugo Sanchez crashes his car into a pillar...

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 26, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse