Say Anything

"I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed."

[updated with Lopez and Mina news at bottom]

Let the free-for-all begin.....

Have your say on another Barnsley shocker, on Man U falling, on Kansas City's imminent Claudio Lopez announcement, on the U.S. Olympic qualifying squad (which will be unveiled Sunday afternoon), on Carlos Pavon's opportunities back in Honduras, on D.C. United's upcoming Champions' Cup match at Harbour View or Houston's visit to Guatemala.....

[updated] Lopez is expected to formally sign tonight at 7:30 p.m. local time in Buenos Aires. ... Ecuadoran forward Roberto Mina, who could not reach terms with FC Dallas and lost patience waiting for the club to trade his MLS rights, is planning to sign with Gimnasia de Jujuy, a first-division side from northwest Argentina.

Go to it, amigos!

By Steve Goff  |  March 8, 2008; 3:36 PM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lopez-Wizards Update
Next: Sunday Brunch

Comments

I saw Olsen on Washington Post Live last night. He said it could be another month before he could play. That sucks...

Posted by: perrii | March 8, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Despite my Man.United crashing out, this has been the best edition of the FA cup I have ever seen.

Posted by: Red Devil | March 8, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Is Barnsley amazing or what!?! Am excited for DCU - Harbor View. Thanks for the updates Goff!

Posted by: BigWave | March 8, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Goff, check your spelling. The team is Barnsley with an "a." It was a great game. Not one of Chelsea's best efforts. I also didn't think I'd ever see them panic the way they did. Can't wait to see how for they go. Good fun.

Posted by: MezzSouthGol | March 8, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I LOVE SULLEY MUNTARI HAHA THAT'S RIGHT MY GHANAIAN STAR YOU SHOW THAT MAN U JUST HOW PATHETIC THEY ARE...

DCU: TAKE THE PITCH...YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO.

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 8, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

There really is nothing better than watching a team full of bloated-salary so-called "superstars" lose to a bunch of guys who simply outwork them, despite supposedly not being as talented.

I enjoyed watching Chelsea lose so many different levels.

Posted by: scott47a | March 8, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Barnsley spelling fixed. Thanks for the heads up!

Posted by: Goff | March 8, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

So Lopez has already signed then??? Local time in Buenos Aires is 7:50 right now.

Posted by: Kurt | March 8, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I assume the reserves will play Houston. Was that this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon?
Take that Chelski!

Posted by: jgildea | March 8, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

What did Eddie Johnson ever do to the announcers in the Fulham - Blackburn game?? They all but branded him a halting, useless, in-way-over-his-head stiff. Unfortunately, he proceeded to play down to their expectations with an embarassingly feeble effort that included enough theatrical diving to make Ronaldo blush. Better hope Bradley wasn't watching.

Posted by: Hmmm | March 8, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, they were all over EJ during the Fulham match, but they also praised him when he hit the post when he was one-on-one against the defender.

To be fair, a lot of the criticism seemed to be more of the "he should be playing better for what he's accomplished" variety than the "he sucks" variety.

Posted by: DCU_Rick | March 8, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Boda United: I got a question. If you guys know so much about soccer , how come you're here at like the Soccer Insider on a Saturday night completely alone drinking beers with no women anywhere?
Goff: By choice, man.

Posted by: boda united | March 8, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

boda united!!! i got your lil sister with me

Posted by: koolcaio | March 8, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Goff, If you show up on my lawn with a boombox blasting Peter Gabriel I'm calling the cops.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | March 8, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Just read the Times Online article about Man U losing to Portsmouth in the FA Cup.

I'm glad I live in America and now understand why Ray Hudson has been a refugee over here for so long.

Posted by: 44-year-old-man-in-short-trousers | March 8, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Dude, if 5:30pm counts as a Saturday night for you, you have bigger problems then any of us.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | March 8, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

sigh......at least Goff will get what i said......koolcaio check out the title of Goff's post, do some googling.....then laugh at my wit.....

Posted by: boda united | March 8, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Why does Steve seem to reference a lot of John Cusack movies? I'm waiting for the Grosse Pointe Blank thread.

When Steve references a film, how many additional hits does IMDB get. If none, and you all have the scripts memorized, then Soccer Insider on a Saturday night* is too wild for you.

*5:43 PM

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 8, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

The MANU ref was pathetic. He missed to simple PK call. He is a gutless wonder.
Shall I say it - Kevin Hall would have done better????

Posted by: bobf | March 8, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't consider him a big loss at all but what a shame about Mina's "rights" being a stumbling block to coming back to the league.

MLS needs to take a serious look at some of these rules, because they are absolutely pathetic.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 8, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

RIght now im watching the repeat of the Match of EJ, and he had a moment of brilliance in the 57th, he did like 2 quick step overs then an unlucky shot that hit the upper 90 ! Would have been a great goal to shut them up for sure though!! Too bad it hit the woodwork.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | March 8, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Goff: By choice, man.

----------

Well played, Boda, well played

;-)

Posted by: Goff | March 8, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

EJ's Carlos Ruiz imitation (flopping like a fish) was disappointing, and he didn't win a single header, but other than that played pretty well. The frustrating thing about Fulham is that they aren't howlingly bad but they just aren't quite good enough to win. Looking ahead at their schedule, they have a change to avoid relegation if they can just find the scoring touch.

Posted by: Hern | March 8, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

"Who invented liquid soap and why?

Posted by: MR Caretaker | March 8, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff, Sean Wheelock says he already signed.

At the 2:42:00 Mark he says he has signed but wont be announced until Monday.

Kansas City Star already has him signed as well:

Posted by: WC | March 8, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Did not officially sign until this evening.

The KC media has been a step behind on this story for weeks.

Posted by: Goff | March 8, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey LeesburgSoccerFan,
I'm suprised "Your Eyes" didnt catch the meaning of my post.

Goff: By choice, man.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 8, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

The Fulham commentators were also saying how McBride should be starting over EJ, and I have to agree with them. If Fulham has a healthy McBride, he needs to start.

Posted by: andrew | March 8, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

I think we need to look at Barnsley and think about it.

No team should EVER be underestimated. Not even Harbour View. I hope everyone brings their A-Game on Wednesday because you should never underestimate what can happen when a lower skilled, lower paid but highly motivated opponent can do in a knockout tournament.

Posted by: Why | March 8, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Any word about the final U23 roster?

Posted by: Amanda | March 8, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

word up, why...
Look what happened with E. manning in the super bowl.
sports really should always be about who wants it more, and some luck.
Who cares about fulham?
They suck.
HV won't be a cake walk. Just don't score too many goals so I can go to the home game.

Posted by: Dadryan | March 8, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

If anyone is out here drinking beers on soccer insider all alone it must be me...
GOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
DC!
What do you think the line up will be like VS the Kickers?

Posted by: Dadryan | March 8, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Lopez agreed to terms on Friday morning, as I reported first. Onalfo then confirmed the deal on the record with me Friday afternoon. Lopez signed Saturday evening, as I reported.

The Wizards will make their unsuspenseful formal introduction on Monday.

Posted by: Goff | March 9, 2008 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 8, 2008 05:44 PM
-------------------------------------------
"So, Martin, what are you doing these days?"

"Professional killer."

"Umm, good for you, it's a growth industry."

;-)

Posted by: Throwin | March 9, 2008 1:10 AM | Report abuse

@Posted by: scott47a | March 8, 2008 04:09 PM

Too bad most of the 'superstars' were riding the pine.
I love seeing ManU and Chelsea fall, but their (esp Chelsea) obvious disreagard for the tournament kinda cheapens it.
The FA Cup is about 10 years from being about as valuable as the Carling Cup is now to a team unless the FA pumps in a TON more prize money.

Posted by: papa bear | March 9, 2008 6:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: papa bear | March 9, 2008 06:42 AM
-------------------------------------------
Unfortunately, PB is likely correct. With the very mercenary nature of the EPL (and most Euro leagues these days), money talks and everything else is relegated to the wistful memories of older fans. Tradition is apparently not enough for Avram Grant to trot out his best lineup, or at least not to look at the game like an insurance actuarial table. I must say I am delighted that Barnsley put paid to their account. Their clear outworking of the Blues showed that at least the World's oldest football tournament still means something to someone....

Posted by: Throwin | March 9, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse

So, how are Carvallo and Wells playing in the preseason? Anyone seen them?

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 9, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Throwin.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 9, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Goff, I live to blocks away from the Coliseum, lets get a beer and talk some soccer and VCU beating Mason. Ok you probably wont but damn come over and play beer pong at least.

Posted by: Matt | March 9, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Regarding Pavon, Olimpia (one of the teams interested in him) is one of the perennial powers in soccer in Honduras (I can read Spanish). I don't know what MLS team would want him; he's too slow. Houston might be desperate enough to sign him, given the Dynamo's lack of depth at forward.

Posted by: Joseph D'Hippolito | March 9, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

How hard is it to decide to be in a good mood and just be in a good mood?

(Goff already covered my favorite "Say Anything" quote, but this one is pretty good, too.)

Posted by: JJH | March 9, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JJH | March 9, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Oh my goodness...

what just happened?

Did FC Barcelona just...LOSE...?!?!

That was...WEIRD. I am not used to that. Depression is settling in next to my utter shock.

And to top that off, Wigan and Arsenal drew 0-0...Man Utd will have a field day with this...

Wow. Wow Wow Wow.

Worst day for football I think I've ever had.

On the bright side, I scored twice today...

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 9, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse