Scenes From a Maul

England-France? Ha!
USA-Poland? Please.

We've got El Salvador-Anguilla in a World Cup qualifier at Estadio RFK!

The early crowd estimate: 20,000+.

Halftime: It's only 4-0. Then again, it was only 4-0 the first time they met in San Salvador, and the final count was 12-zip.

A few items to share:

*I love Anguilla's burnt-orange unis with black sleeves and its national flag that includes three orange dolphins in an almost interlocked circular design.

*Anguilla midfielder Girdon Connor makes D.C. United's gnomish Franco Niell look like Yao Ming.

*El Salvador is playing with quickness, composure and confidence. That will change when they play Panama in June.

*Former MLSer Ronald Cerritos scored the first goal. Rudis Corrales scored the second, increasing his series total to six.

*The fourth goal, by William Torres, was a howler -- a free kick from near the corner that sailed over the goalkeeper and into the far side.

*Halftime stats: 17-1 shots, 5-2 corner kicks.

*Salvadoran legend and former MLS star Raul Diaz Arce is here as a spectator. He is working as a scout for the U.S. Soccer Federation, traveling around the country to identify young players. He lives with his family in the Tampa area and plans to become a U.S. citizen next year. His 12-year-old son, he says, is a promising defender.

*Salvadoran fans whistling their displeasure about the lack of goals in the second half.

Final score: 4-0.
Shots: 28-4.
Corners: 11-3.
Attendance: 22,670.

When the final whistle sounded, Anguillan players threw their arms in the air, hugged and danced. All things considered, not allowing a goal over 45 minutes was quite an achievement. After saluting the crowd, they received a warm ovation. A touching scene. If you want to know what it means to represent your country, no matter how big or small, the Anguillans personified that spirit this evening.

In case you missed it earlier, Barbados struggled to beat Dominica at home, 1-0, to set up a second-round series with the United States in June.

By Steve Goff  |  March 26, 2008; 8:57 PM ET
Categories:  World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday: USA-Poland
Next: Morning Kickaround

Comments

Seriously. I bet Americans would embrace soccer more if as many goals were scored as El Salvador is rollin' right now...

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 26, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

That's ridiculous. The reason they're scoring so many goals is because they're playing one of the worst teams in the world.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 26, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Anguilla recycles dolphins?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 26, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | March 26, 2008 09:15 PM

----
...and?

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 26, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

So you really think people would pay good money to watch these mismatches with a bunch of easy goals being scored?

Posted by: Blah | March 26, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying it's smart. I'm saying it's typical American.

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 26, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying it's smart. I'm saying it's typical American.

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 26, 2008 09:42 PM

-----

Yea that's why people love the Suns and any other team in any other sport that puts up points. Defense wins championships, but offense sells tickets.

Posted by: America | March 26, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

does anyone know what the score is? Goff?

Posted by: yo its me | March 26, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Tough to find scores out on that internet thingy...

4-0 final.

What the...Netherlands Antilles ousted Nicaragua.

Posted by: RK | March 26, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

22,000+ is very impressive. I wonder if the DCU team store was closed with that many soccer fans around. Either way, I propose a new SI feature: "guess the DCU team store sales total" - sort of like our old standby of "guess the attendance" - any takers?

Posted by: FC | March 26, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Many congrats to the Barbados team, who now get the honor of being railed by MLS-based mediocrities over the summer. Did someone say Drew Moor?

Posted by: Max J. | March 26, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

-------------------

I doubt we'll play a second (or third) team against Barbados. As easy as it may seem, you cannot take those games for granted -- it's only two games and unlucky bounces can affect even the best teams.

You play the first string for this and all World Cup Qualifiers (with the exception being only after the team has qualified for the next level of play). Don't mess with scrubs. The Euro based players will be in their off-season anyway and will have been playing together for a bit, with all the big friendlies (England, Spain, Argentina) occurring within a few weeks before the WCQ games.

Posted by: Phil | March 26, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

So I was DCU blog surging and I came across a a article about Dick's Sporting Goods now carrying MLS gear. I figured just Beckham crap, right? I went to the website. Check it. This may be great for people like me who don't live within 10 hours of RFK.

Posted by: gilbert | March 26, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

surging=surfing

Posted by: gilbert | March 26, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Any words of comfort for a stay at home dad who should already be in bed like the wifey so we can stomach dropping off our 11 month old daughter at her first daycare tommorow morning?
I somehow managed to watch Mexico steal a win from a keeper who should of known better this afternoon.
Telemundo,ESPN, and Comcast keeeping the dream alive...
The good news is I am still gonna be at home on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for the forthcoming Champions League Action!

Posted by: Dadryan | March 26, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

They probably set a goal to not concede a goal in a half. I commend you Anguilla. Do they have any MLS prospects? Just asking

Posted by: The Jim | March 26, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: The Jim | March 26, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game...
we would not want anyone from Anguilla as a MLS prospect....

Anguilla were HORRIBLE...

by minute 50 I was bored from the predictable nature of their play...

Posted by: myt! | March 27, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blah | March 26, 2008 09:26 PM

The U.S.-Panama match was the most fun I'd had in years!

Posted by: Glaucon | March 27, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dadryan

So.........
you stay home,
she works,
the little one goes to daycare,
you watch soccer all day,
you stay up late and surf the net or watch TV,
you have Goff providing you with 10-15 updates a day.....
Are those not enough words of comfort for you???
Dude, you rock!!!

Posted by: marksman | March 27, 2008 3:36 AM | Report abuse

Catherine-Lucia, you are an idiot steeped in ignorant stereotypes. First, there are 300 million Americans. Are you really suggesting there is a typical anything? Second, America has already embraced soccer. That's why this blog exists, MLS is successful, USA are champions of the region (again), etc. Third, baseball was the most important sport in America for about a century. A low-scoring, defensive-oriented sport.

Posted by: zounds | March 27, 2008 4:41 AM | Report abuse

MLS prospects? They don't have a player playing above the sixth division in the uk. Sixth. Well there is that one kid playing div iii in Arkansas somewhere. If moral victories count, these guys get one. Imagine coming out for your home game, down by double digits, and still fighting. Good show lads.

And for anyone who thinks this type of thing would attract supporters, I remember the tournament of the Americas Olympic basketball qualifying in 1993 in basketball mad (then, the Blazers ruled the city) remember the dream team? Jordan, magic, barkeley, zeke, Malone and the rest? (yes, that means your Christian Laettner) the blazers sold out the old memorial coliseum for 18 straight years, you could walk up and get tickets to see the greatest team ever assembled play walkovers.

Posted by: northzax | March 27, 2008 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Dadryan: Your daughter will be fine. Your wife will traumatized. If you can manage it, then you should take the drop off duties. Mom's get weepy about dropping off the kids and the kids learn to play the guilt card. Us dads? We drop 'em off and leave. The crying stops 30 seconds after you're out of sight.

Zounds: How did you manage to keep up with the US census while living in a cave? Every sport (even soccer) has changed its rules to allow more offensive freedom in the hopes of increasing scores and attendance/viewership.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 27, 2008 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dadryan

Stay at home dad? I would argue stay at home couch potato. Why hire a parent when you can do it? Kills me when dads (and moms) do this.

Posted by: Joe Doc | March 27, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

to the poster about Dick's Sporting Goods:

That's great to see a prominent store stocking so much MLS gear. I live in North Dakota, though, so no one gets soccer stuff up here. It's hockey hockey hockey. Too bad.

Also, on the teams listed under "MLS," Dick's has San Jose listed as the "San Jose Clash." WTF?

Posted by: MemRook | March 27, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

North Dakota?! That's awesome!

This confirms Mr. Goff's reach is loooooong.

Posted by: Joe Doc | March 27, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zounds | March 27, 2008 04:41 AM

--------------

OK, first of all, what the hell are you doing posting at 4:41AM?!?! Please tell me you're in Hawaii or something.

Second, do you not think that baseball attributes its resurgence in the late 90's to the era of the long ball brought on by juiced bodies and a likely juiced ball? Before the home run derby that was the summer of '98, the bulk of the nation was ready to give up on baseball. It was a low-scoring sport played by a bunch of prima donnas for a bunch of greedy owners. Offense saved that sport.

And when the NHL was down and out, it changed the rules to allow more scoring. While the NHL is far from thriving, it's surviving.

Ask the regular Joe non-soccer-fan from the streets and they'll probably tell you that it's a boring sport that's not worth their time. That said, I really don't care if those people come out to soccer games or not.

Posted by: DE | March 27, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zounds | March 27, 2008 04:41 AM

There's a reason the DH has been successful. And I think most people you ask would tell you that a pitchers duel is boring.

Offense sells to the average fan. Quality play (read: defence) sells to the knowledgable fan.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 27, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zounds | March 27, 2008 04:41 AM
---
Okay, man, whatever you say. I know the US has embraced soccer, and you are correct, that's why we are here. I was poking a little fun at the points-obsessed factor in American sports. I'm an American soccer fan, so you can just take the whole ignorant stereotypes argument out of your statement, because I know exactly what I'm talking about. I've lived in this country my whole life and have experienced about every sport you can experience. (Even curling. ew.) And I'm not an idiot, okay? I follow teams from all around the world and used to even keep up a fairly good blog of my own. I'm not going to sit here and be insulted but I'm not going to bother arguing with you either. You make good points though, really, about soccer in America. The name-calling could be eliminated.

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 27, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Blah | March 26, 2008 09:26 PM
==========================================

Nearly 23,000 people just did, didn't they? In any event, there are many reasons people attend sporting events, not all of them having to do with whether the two teams are engaged in a competition that is especially dramatic in itself. In last night's case, I don't when was the last time the Salvadoran national team came to Washington, and I (and the many thousands of Salvadoran expats in this area) don't know when they will get the opportunity to see their MNT again, short of flying south.

Posted by: tri-village | March 27, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

The name-calling could be eliminated.

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 27, 2008 11:13 AM
==========================================

Indeed!

Posted by: tri-village | March 27, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Goff reported that a portion of the upper deck was opened for this crowd of 22,000+. In a previous thread, several days ago, I raised the question of why no portion of the upper deck was opened for DCU matches (except when Beckham comes to town or similar occasions). I was told by several people that it would be too costly in terms of additional security, vendors, etc., and that United's crowds (which are usually somewhat under 20K) aren't large enough. So is 22K the target to meet to get them to open a few sections in the upper deck?

Posted by: tri-village | March 27, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

OK, sorry about the name-calling. Just a little annoyed at what I still see as anti-American slander (yes, Americans can spew anti-American slander too). Again, sorry about the name-calling.

Posted by: zounds | March 27, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

zounds-- it's alright, it's forgiven :) I could have been less 'slanderous' in my comments too.

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 27, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Well wasn't that sweet and lovey dovey, zounds and Catherine-Lucia? Get a room you two.

Posted by: sitruc | March 27, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Yeah seriously, get a room.

Posted by: JCLainez | March 27, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

are you kidding me? please.

by the way, anyone have a picture of this Girdon Connor? I'd like to see if it really is possible to make Franco Niell look like Yao Ming.

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 27, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Barbados gave us sort of a tough game when we traveled there in 2000. I think US might have wound up winning 4-0 but were scoreless well into the 2nd half and facing elimination. It was a group stage including Guatemala and Costa Rica (remember the infamous Prendergrast) not just a home-and-away elimination series.

Are the Barbadians called the flying fish?

Good to see the DC United merchandise at Dick's website but when I looked at their Bailey's Crossroad store before Xmas they only had Beckham jerseys!

Posted by: garbaggio | March 27, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse