The Ties That Bind

Headline courtesy of Bruce and The River.

D.C. United 1, Harbour View 1
Houston 0, Municipal 0
Mexico 1, Canada 1

The first two results were satisfactory for the visiting MLS sides, who will head home for the second legs of the Champions' Cup quarterfinals next week, while the last score was a bit of a surprise. Maybe the Americans' opening draw with Cuba wasn't so bad after all, considering Mexico is also stuck in a second-place group tie after the first two days of Olympic qualifying matches. The U.S. team goes back at it tonight against Panama in Tampa (8 p.m., Fox Soccer Channel, ESPN Deportes).

Some thoughts about the FSC coverage of the DCU match last night.....

It was unfortunate the game had to be shown on almost half-hour delay, but I understand the contractual obligation to show the entire English League match, which preceded the Champions' Cup game. No worries. The picture quality was better than I expected, considering the decidedly low-tech locale where the match was played. But while I appreciate the difficulty of announcing a game while staring at a monitor in a studio in Los Angeles, there is no excuse for sloppy preparation.

You would think Paul Caligiuri's world experiences and California upbringing would have taught him proper pronounciation of Latin American names. It's "More-A-no," not "Marine-o". It's "Knee-el," not "Neal." (Christian Miles made the same mistake repeatedly with the Argentine forward's name.)

Miles said United lost Brian Carroll to Columbus in the expansion draft, when in fact, D.C. lost him to San Jose, the actual expansion team, which then traded him to the Crew a week later. Caligiuri called United's new central defenders "Gonzalo Martinez and Gonzalo Martinez" and said they were not related. (Wow.)

Referring to a Harbour View player leaving the match, Miles said he had "met his maker, so to speak." Someone call the funeral director! At one point, when the camera focused on United's bench, the announcers told us that the individual on the screen was DCU operations manager Jason Amaguaña, brother of Harbour View defender Ronny Amaguaña. Wrong. It was team administrator Francisco Tobar.

While we are all appreciative of FSC's coverage of soccer -- especially live, or almost live, coverage -- it is sometimes difficult to watch without a constant urge to mute the sound. Conversely, Christopher Sullivan, who handled color commentary for the Houston-Municipal match on FSC, was insightful and prepared. Caligiuri should take note.

Moving on.....

*West Ham's Nolberto Solano says he turned down an offer from Toronto and Marco Etcheverry is going to play on a team with Diego Maradona and Bolivia President Evo Morales this weekend.

*As we mentioned yesterday, the SuperLiga groups, schedules and sites will be unveiled today at 3 p.m. ET.

*My apologies for the timestamp problems in the comments section. The tech folks say they are working on it. I know it's annoying. Bear with us.

*Just for laughs, an Italian celebrity impersonating Nicolas Cage got VIP treatment at the Real Madrid Champions League match last week. Read the story, watch the video:

By Steve Goff  |  March 13, 2008; 9:05 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Champions' Cup and SuperLiga
Next: Liga Is Super

Comments

Talk about a "Con Air" job. (Couldn't resist).

One would think the FSC announcers would learn from the excellent broadcasters doing the EPL matches on FSC. Silence can be OK, and there's no need to tell us what we're seeing. Provide insight to SUPPORT what we're seeing.

That said, it's soccer on TV, so I'll deal with it and move on.

Posted by: Joe Doc | March 13, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

My girlfriend ended up asking me what a "meaty challenge" is. Also, we decided that "talisman" had to appear on somebody Word of the Day calendar.

Posted by: Jared | March 13, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget that they mentioned that the two Gonzalos were not brothers...it looks like FSC has an A team and a not-read-for-prime-time team.

The Etcheverry article, begins with:

"El crack Diego Armando Maradona "

Posted by: RK | March 13, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Your old buddy David Lifton talked about The Broadcasting Offenses of Christian Miles last night after the game. He has a couple more of their whoppers to augment your list.

What a joke those two are.

My favorite was when they assured us that the two Gonzalos were not related.

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | March 13, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Whoa, The Insider went to DEFCON 2 there for a minute.

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | March 13, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Caligiuri shouldn't take note. He should resign.

Posted by: Dave Lifton | March 13, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for hitting the nail squarely on the head with FSC, Steve. That was hard to watch last night - delay, horrible commentators, rec league football - blech.

Confident the boys will be much sharper at home next week.

Posted by: Kev | March 13, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

My girlfriend ended up asking me what a "meaty challenge" is...

Posted by: Jared | March 13, 2008 09:27 AM
----------------------------------------------

This has to win some kind of prize for best setup ever on SI...but this is a family blog, so I'll refrain...

Posted by: Master Blaster | March 13, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I sympathize, BA, but let's just be pleased he didn't say "Guh-LARD-oo". Any Spanish-language accent is better than none.

Posted by: troy | March 13, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure I heard at least one O'Niel during the game as well...

Posted by: Matt | March 13, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

The comment about Carroll . . . I'm pretty sure he said Supplemental Draft actually . . . which had me trying to remember exactly how they lost him (trade, expansion draft, to who, for what, whatever). Made my head spin . . .

Posted by: Tim Crawford | March 13, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I agree it is a mystery that Christian Miles has a job. But he has been at FSC since it was FSW and he has been doing the same exact things that whole time so either no one there realizes how atrocious he is or he is related to Rupert Murdoch.

The thing that annoys me the most is that he uses all of those weird Britishisms but only has a vague idea of what they actually mean. And then he uses them over and over again. Oh, and the Namoff thing is really grating too.

I wonder how badly our stadium announcer at RFK will butcher all of these new names. That's some one else who has been needing to lose his job for a long time.

Posted by: Glenn | March 13, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for all the information reaging FSC Goff. I was really annoyed and sent them email too and went online redio which didn't play easily on my Mac first. Nevertheless, I appreciate FSC to bring games and as bad as it sounds the commentators I still appreciate them. Best thing they should do is TALK LESS. American commentators TALK TOO MUCH.
Wow all those ties.
Hope the next game would be a much better one!

Posted by: td | March 13, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

any word on moreno's condition? was he cramping up in the cold weather down there?

Posted by: ruscien | March 13, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Goff,
Will you be providing your customary player ratings and assesments. Always an enjoyable read.

Also any thoughts on why McTavish seems to be constantly underappreciated/undervalued by the fan base?

Posted by: WC | March 13, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

You're right. I suck. Christian sucks, too. I don't know why they keep putting us on the air. I think they feel sorry for us.

Posted by: Paul Caligiuri | March 13, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

that game was hard to watch..we stunk.

Posted by: mizage | March 13, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

The sad part is, I think Miles actually said that United lost Carroll to Columbus in the Supplemental Draft, which was surely news to all involved.

Paul's voice is just unbearable over the course of a game. And Miles is on an entirely different level of awful.

Posted by: Former Journal Hack | March 13, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I agree with northzax. So what-- the game was delayed- it was still ON, and they didn't skip the beginning. I had heard Niell was short, but goodness, is he ever.

Posted by: DC fan | March 13, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

caligiuri is the absolute worst. sullivan on the other hand is probably the best analyst on television.

Posted by: PKTaker | March 13, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

This is what I get for watching the game at a bar and not having sound. I miss all the fun. I don't know why the sudden uproar though, I feel FSC announcers have been spewing rediculous comments for years now.

Posted by: Really? | March 13, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

How does Miles have that job? I mean, Caligiuri I understand since he has experience and adds insight, but could do a better job. But Miles - does he have photos or something?

At least I got to see the game - and btw, the name of our new #10 is not "GUY-yard-oh." It's "ga-JHAR-tho"

Posted by: Lost in BA | March 13, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Really? | March 13, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Today's Poll:

Raising Arizona or The Rock.

Posted by: Joe Doc | March 13, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I heard someone say that away goals aren't considered as a tie-breaker. Is that true?

Posted by: Question | March 13, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else find it odd that no Red Card was given to the HV player for the take down, no card at all for the undercut of Neill,(How can you undercut a gnome?), and nothing at all for the foot drag across the head on Wells? The HV player could have prevented it, but chose not to. Then yellows for DC for relatively minor infractions? DC blew by going bunker, but the ref didnt help at all! Looking forward to laying the smackdown on the Harbor View Hackers tuesday! Neill is FAST!. Congrats to our Winchester boy McT for his goal! He was trying to get out of the way of Gallardo's shot, he didn't, the shot hit him so he collected the ball and quickly put it in the net. Our passing game on a smooth field will decimate HV.

Posted by: boda united | March 13, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Sadly, Caligiuri is better in the booth than when he was on the field.

Oh, that looks NOTHING like Cage.

Posted by: Hoost | March 13, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Goff you are spot on with regards to that FSC coverage last night. For a hoppy game (that was necessary for United at this point in the season) the commentary really killed it for me. Speaking of kill, if I hear Miles use the word "trepidacious (sp?) one more time...just one more time...c'mon I dare you...

We have to deal with this all season too. It seems the Gals and West Coast teams get FSC's A team while we are usually stuck with Miles and Miles-light. You know for as much as these guys know about the league, FSC might as well give us those two idiots from Fox Football Phone In - at least their ignorance of the league comes with an accent. Sheesh.

Posted by: Kosh | March 13, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

If you think Caliguiri had a bad night, you should hear him when he calls a match where Landon Donovan is playing. It was the worst thing I'd ever heard. It was just a Donovan love fest for 90 minutes. He missed things in the game at the expense of talking about how important Donovan was. Now I could understand that if Donovan had lit it up all game long...but he didn't.

Posted by: Matthew | March 13, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I'm happy that I can get a game like this televised live in the United States - but I also realize that FSC is at a minimum, three steps below ESPN.

Abysmal - but at least next week I'll be at the game and only have the sound of the Supporters in my ears rather than Pert Plus pitch-man Paul Caliguri

Posted by: TV Critic | March 13, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I think Christian Miles is usually a good broadcaster. Howerver that debacle last night was shocking.

Woefully unprepared, unable to comment accurately on pretty much anything and it just sounded like they both weren't trying.

I guess this was Miles' first match since the end of the MLS season, judging by the sheer number of errors made.

But there are no excuses for it. I sure hope FSC takes a good look at this and cuts Caliguri completely off and only uses Miles once he's regained his "form".

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | March 13, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

...Neill is FAST!...
Posted by: boda united | March 13, 2008 10:51 AM

really? i thought he was pretty slow last night. i was expecting a lot more speed from him.

Posted by: pat | March 13, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

how hard is it to say the word "harbour", as in harbour view?

caligiuri stumbled over it time after time.

really sad stuff from him and miles

Posted by: brucio | March 13, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I did mute the broadcast last night so thanks for showing graft and listening for me.

With all the changes in the lineup and the new shirt it really didn't seem like it was my team out there last night.

Posted by: Tommie | March 13, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Actually, Troy. One of them, I think it was Miles, said car-VAL-o when Wells went down.

Posted by: Dave Lifton | March 13, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

"I keep the ends out for the tie that binds" Johnny Cash.

I think the Carroll-to-Columbus error is forgivable (except if it came from a DCU broadcasting team). BC was with SJ for about 5 minutes. Other errors were not forgivable and I demand a letter of apology for me and two letters for all of you because I endured the only second half.

Much better commentary for the Houston match, but I couldn't stay up.

My own time stamp - Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | 10:10 AM

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 13, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

While on the announcers subject... Can they please stop saying nil-nil and the such for a game that is for an American audience. The sound like Brittish wannabe's.
I'm sure they don't go to the loo to relieve themselves, go the beach in costumes or take the lift to the penthouse.
Nil-nil is NOT soccer terminology, it's just the way they speak in England. And I'm tired of having it shoved down my throat.
I have no problem with the EPL broadcasts whatsoever, but MLS and US national teams games should not follow that script.
While I'm at it... can Max Bretos -who claims to have Latin blood- please pronounce Pérez correctly??? It's PEH-rez, not peh-REZ. Geez.
Jolly good!
Ranto over. I'm outta here!

Posted by: Roberto | March 13, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

The first time, in my life, I've muted a sports telecast. Miles overly-inflected attempt to speak foreign words is disgusting, and the mispronunciation of Gallardo's name, as the previous poster references, is beyond frustrating.

On top of that, he has no insight on the game, and DOESNT EVEN CALL THE GAME. He talks about trivia, how many championships DCU has, etc. Worst announcer I've ever heard. Ever.

Posted by: DC | March 13, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I am always tempted to give Caligiuri a pass because of his accomplishments on the field (and, if for nothing else, "The Shot Heard 'Round The World"). That feeling usually passes within the first 5 minutes of a given match, after multiple egregious errors. He also has the speaking rhythm of someone who has been weeping for a long time, and is almost-but-not-quite done.

Miles is just bothersome because he's trying desperately to do an impression of an English announcer.

Onto the match: You can see that the new guys can play, but there were still a lot of misunderstandings. Martinez and Peralta look to be a substantial improvement in the back. Both are more calm and composed. If this was a good indicator of how they'll play this season, I see us being able to grind out more 1-0 wins.

Gallardo obviously has tremendous skill, but you get the sense that he's still figuring out the rest of the team and vice versa. Once the connection is really there, I think MLS teams are going to struggle to cope with his level of skill. I was also glad to see that, for a player known to have a bit of a temper, he never seemed angry (despite getting some hardy bumps and shoves throughout).

Niell has the potential to become something of a fan favorite. He works really hard, and is aggressive enough to win headers despite being one of the shortest players in league history. I look forward to being able to bring him in to harass tired defenders.

It wasn't a bad effort, and on a different night we grab a win. How often do you see Emilio miss on chances like the one he mis-hit (looked like the ball rolled into his plant foot as he wound up) in the 2nd half? There's room for improvement, obviously, but it looks like we should be able to win somewhat comfortably at RFK.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | March 13, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately for many of us, FSC is the best option we have. Yes, we can watch GOLTV or any number of Spanish-speaking stations, but FSC also airs a bunch of games those stations do not. ESPN only shows a handful of games, and most of their announcers have problems pronouncing Namoff.

Posted by: ho | March 13, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I couldn't catch the match last night, and it seems i didn't miss much (except the debuts of gallardo, wells, peralta, martinez and "knee-el"; a mctavish goal and some atrocious officiating and announcing). PHEW!

so, where can I find some highlights? The CONCACAF Champions Cup site doesn't look promising and the DCU site only has recap.

a little help would be greatly appreciated

Posted by: DudeAbides | March 13, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Neill is not a spanish name so they pronounced it correctly. Since we are criticizing them its not More A no , its mor eh no, with a silent n sound.

Posted by: emilio | March 13, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Miles and Caligiuri was a total shambles and an embarassment.

Caligiuri went through like he had just been pulled off the street and had to fudge his way through 90 minutes. Then again, he was an athlete not a broadcaster, so that is somewhat to be expected...by the same token, that means he is to provide "color" commentary, which he did not, nor did he provide any insight.

Some folks hate Sullivan, but I like him. If nothing else, he provides insight and a window into the mechanics of the game for the viewer (my favorite color-guy though is Chilavert...I wish he spoke English...Hudson is entertaining, too).

Miles, as a "professional" broadcaster, brings discredit to his chosen profession. He could at least bring a rich voice to the table, but he does not. He sounds like a 13 year old in the throes of puberty. Unfortunately, his grating voice only highlights the stupidity of the things he says. There is no excuse...he is supposedly a "pro," after all.

To add to it, DC looked liked it was going through the motions, like it was a auxiliary field scrimmage. I know they are not "in-season" but their performance did not get me all hot and bothered for Tuesday's second leg.

Posted by: Erick | March 13, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

oh why snobs we have all become. (myself included of course) just a few years ago, we would have been railing about this not being on tv anywhere outside Kingston and now we get ticked off about camerawork (seriously though, was that a high school kid getting extra credit for taping the jv game?) and that pitch...maybe they should have played chivas on the junk field last week after all.

Any news on Jaime's hammy?

Posted by: northzax | March 13, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

what's this I hear about West Ham vs. MLS All Stars for the all star game??

is this true or a real bad rumor?

Posted by: myt! | March 13, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

You're not experiencing computer or time stamp problems.

We have assumed control.

We have assumed control.

We have assumed control.

Posted by: Temples of Syrinx | March 13, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I don't think the problem with American announcers is they talk too much, it's when they either a) sound like complete idiots, or b) explain the game as if the viewer didn't realize the ball is round. Guys like Wynalda, Harkes, and Rob Stone may have their pros and cons, but they are infinitely better than Miles.... I would rather listen to Wynalda and disagree for 90 minutes than wonder if Miles bothered to look at the roster.

And the whole nil-nil thing, whatever. Doesn't bother me. I hate the EPL, but I still say nil-nil - it's what I learned when I fell in love with the game as a kid.

Posted by: Lost in BA | March 13, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Piling on Miles: didn't he also ramble on about how it would be good for an MLS team to "breakthrough" and finally win an international tournament? I guess he forgot DC winning in 1998 (and the Interamericana to follow) and the Gals in 2000.

OK, about the game:
Looked like massive communications problems at times, which is to be expected, but I wonder if part of this is language trouble in addition simply having all the new players.

Liked Peralta, Wells, Simms, Gallardo, Niell.

Not so much Emilio and Namoff.

Fred and Burch mixed bag - and Burch AGAIN with the dumb card in international play, which it seemed to me was for kicking the ball away on a HView freekick. What is with his mental focus? It seems like his filter is set about 1.2 notches past Benny's and it really hurts the team at times.

Posted by: Rob | March 13, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

1234

Posted by: test | March 13, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Was it just me, or did the cameraman actually MISS the McTavish goal??

Posted by: Juan-John | March 13, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

My concerns about the announcing were a little different. It's easy to blast Paul Caligiuri. The only reason he has an announcing job is one blast he struck almost 20 years ago. He's a singularly dull color man/analyst. He offers no special insight, and he delivers it in an awful monotone.

Christian Miles, though, bothers me because he seems to think he's English. On the goal, according to Miles, Devon McTavish didn't "know much about" the pass from Gallardo.

Why can't these guys wrap their heads around the idea that they are broadcasting for an American audience, not an English one? Why use phrases that would only make sense to someone who listens to the EPL broadcasts?

Talking about Harbor View and United's history, He also referred to the growth of "football" in the region. I believe that the sport is known a "soccer", both here and in Jamaica. Why not call it by it's proper name?

Posted by: Fisch Fry | March 13, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Great points Goff and peanut gallery.

Kosh, as far as I can tell trepidatious isn't even a word! nor is trepidacious!

Thank God for FSC but geesh, the announcing has got to improve. Can't Sullivan just do all the games by himself?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 13, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tron | March 13, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

If they're tied after the next leg is there OT or just PK's? Their description of no golden goal, no silver goal, just 2 15min oT's and then PK's was horribly confusing.

Oh, and how is Jaime? I remember last year he had a similar hammy issue and was back in 2 weeks or so.

Posted by: Looking Dangerous | March 13, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I hope Zach Wells doesn't have a concussion. I hope Jaime is better. I miss Christian. We are a free flowing toward the oponents goal team. If they have to pass to the center half everytime they go pass then it will be forever to get a goal.

Posted by: Bubbles | March 13, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

While I agree that Miles and Caligiuri are beyond bad.

However, Goff is dead on that Christian Sullivan is BY FAR the best announcer that FSC employs. I wish ESPN had brought him in, I'd love to hear him doing color for MLS rather than the useless (behind the mic) John Harkes.

Posted by: Mark M | March 13, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

How does that field compare to the size of the pitch at RFK? Methinks that subpar field conditions (both the quality of the pitch and size) were not the recipe needed for a team that should be able to find and exploit space better on the open field.

I hope that we can find some more dynamic movements going forward - parts of that game offensively were as inspiring as the US U23's vs Cuba.

Supporters really need to come out and drub up support from everyone possible to show this club that we are behind them and that we'll do our part so long as they get it going between the touches.

Posted by: Harbour View FC | March 13, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Without Moreno and Olsen, and without Gomez and Carroll and Vanney, the team had no veteran leadership. Emilio is NOT a captain. Just wait until we get back to DC with an enthusiastic crowd and a familiar field. I bet the Jamaicans will feel totally out of place, and we should dominate the full 90, instead of just the first 30.

Agree with all the criticism of the commentators, but also agree that we should all be happy this was on tv at all. And it was annoying to have to wait til 8:30 for the game to start, but they absolutely made the right decision in showing it on tape delay rather than joining in progress. Could have been much worse.

Posted by: DCUMD | March 13, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

"Why can't these guys wrap their heads around the idea that they are broadcasting for an American audience, not an English one?"

I disagree. If they were broadcasting for an English audience, then they'd shut up until there was something to say. So, I say, more emphasis on the true BBC style!

Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | February 31, 2014 13:61 PM

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 13, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Quick commentd about the game...

Simms is a darned good holding midfielder - not flashy, not mistake prone, just solid.

Gallardo can play...really play. That free kick he had was outstanding and his distribution was quick and controlled. It was a shame he was distributing to sub-par talent.

Emilio and Fred looked like they hadn't played since DCU's last game against Chicago at RFK. Emilio had a terrible time creating anything that tested the HV keeper. And Fred coughed up the ball almost every time he touched it.

I'm new to being an MLS fan after years of watching the Premiership. If matches continue like this, I'm going to head back to the Premiership because it just isn't fun or entertaining.

Posted by: Fly the Coop | March 13, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

But I thought only ESPN screwed up soccer stuff! ;)

My favorite part was when Miles called Simms the "fulcrum" of the midfield. Then he called Gallardo the "fulcrum" of the midfield 20 minutes later.

When the massed whined about ESPn for years, so many fans said the grass wouldn't be greener on the other side. FSC reminds us of that on a regular basis. It's not that ESPn hates soccer. Broadcasters just all suck at an equal level.

Posted by: Brian | March 13, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: USvsIreland | March 13, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Any news on Jaime's hammy?

Posted by: northzax | March 13, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else think Niell looks a bit like Davey Jones?

Posted by: Monkee | March 13, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

After this, it's really hard to criticize Dave O'Brien.

Posted by: Jacknut | March 13, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing that Miles and Caligiuri were sampling the local herbs and other delicacies prior to broadcast. It's the only real answer.

Posted by: Peter Tosh | March 13, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

@Tron
"I liked how the announcer (with the more nasal voice) would just shout someone's name out if they had touched the ball in the last few minutes. Scarlett! NAM-off!"

Reminds me of the announcing in FIFA 08. Although I guess I shouldn't expect to hear any "Vanney. Greg Vanney"'s coming from the DCU game callers anytime soon. ;-)

Posted by: JB | March 13, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I still find it easy to criticize Dave O'Bren.

Posted by: Actually | March 13, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else think Niell looks a bit like Davey Jones?

Posted by: Monkee | March 13, 2008 12:18 PM
===========================================

You mean as in the longtime resident of Beavertown, PA, north of Harrisburg? I understand he has a museum of sorts up there.

Posted by: tri-village | March 13, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Props to FSC for merely covering the game, but I think that's as much credit as I'll give to them. The commentating was terrible, there camerawork was horrendous...ugh. Given it was in Jamaica, I wasn't expecting to be ESPN quality (and that's saying something...) but I could have done without the 15+ second pauses in between possessions.

With United, I'm concerned that we aren't as organized as we should be at this point in the preseason. Emilio looked unmotivated, Gallardo didn't really impress, and McTavish's goal was fortunate at best. However it's early, and in our first match that counts, I suppose we can be lenient on form. Our new center back pairing impressed until the back line let in the tying goal.

I'm hoping for a big improvement next Tuesday. I'm staying in DC for the first part of my spring break to go to RFK, so it better be worth it...(then again, I guess its worth it simply being at the unofficial home opener. Yeah, it's worth it.)

Posted by: Andy | March 13, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I sent an email to fsc this morning and rupert murdoch was at my door early this morning with caliguari and miles. He had them on some sort of electrified punishment leash and made them apoligize to me face to face for being frigging stumble-bum idiots.

Anybody remember what happened last time DCU played away at Harbourview-FSC screwed up the feed and it wasn't shown. Maybe Fox hates jamaica.

Posted by: pigman sweet | March 13, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Does FSC's schedule for next Tuesday raise the possibility of similar snafus, or is it likely that they will be able to broadcast from RFK on schedule? If the latter, then people can mute the sound and listen to Tony Limarzi @ the WFED site.

Posted by: tri-village | March 13, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fisch Fry | March 13, 2008 11:34 AM
----
Proper name is football.

Posted by: td | March 13, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

" The picture quality was better than I expected, considering the decidedly low-tech locale where the match was played."

Posted by: MarkVA | March 13, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

MarkVA... I can't get inside Goffs head on that one, but to defend my boy...

Did you see the stadium they were playing in?

Get it now?

Posted by: d, dc | March 13, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

How big a crowd did the Olympic doubleheader at HDC draw? I trust it was more than the 4,259 who turned out in Tampa two nights ago.

Posted by: tri-village | March 13, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Christian, but I don't recall Dan Stratford playing his "football" for me at WVU.

Posted by: Rich Rodriguez | March 13, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I am glad that markva is here to decipher the secret code in goff's phrase "decidely low-tech". I took it to mean a stadium that was not accustomed to int'l television broadcast and didn't see, until he pointed it out, that it is actually a viscious, patronizing jab.

Posted by: super clog | March 13, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I watched the game late and DVR missed the last 5 minutes due to that EPL match that ran late. As a result, I went to bed thinking DCU played a horrible game on a horrible field with a horrible ref and against a team of ill intentioned semi pros. But I was happy we got away with 3 points. Thank you FSC for letting me go to sleep without that extra worry.

Re commentators, I really could care less about those idiots. As long as Wynalda is not there, I am content.

Posted by: juanma | March 13, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Christian Miles, it is NA-moff (long a sound), not NAM-off (short a). You have been misprouncing his name for years.

It's not a one-time thing. He just hasn't checked to see what the correct pronunciation is, and he doesn't care.

Posted by: GoldenChild | March 13, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Gallardo needs more time to connect with the team. Once that happens, I think we will be better off than last year.

Posted by: juanma again | March 13, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

"WOW. that's not derogatorily stereotyping jamaica at all or anything. way to go GOFF."

Come on. Last spring, FSC showed the semis and final of the Red Stripe Champions Cup (FA Cup of Jamaica), played at Harbour View's stadium. The video and audio were terrible. Based on ACTUAL EXPERIENCE, I was also surprised that the feed was so good last night.

But if you want to have a PC meltdown, go right ahead.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | March 13, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fly the Coop | March 13, 2008 12:01 PM
-------------------

Hey Coop, I watch the PL too and MLS ain't it. For many reasons I care not to get into here, MLS is not and does not play like the PL. Now since you're new and all, I'll be a gent and share this with you...what you watched was pretty much a pre-season game (yes it was competitive, but pre-season nonetheless) by a new squad that is still learning to play together. It will get better as these guys become more familiar with each other. I can tell you this, DC plays one of the more attractive, flowing and meaningful styles of soccer in MLS. So when these guys start gellin' you'll see some great MLS soccer. So just bare with it and it will all work itself out and it definitely gets better, much better.

OR

You can hold on to your bad attitude and your empty threat and go back to watching PL matches only. To which end I say "don't let the proverbial door smash you in the ass on your way out." We will surely loose years of sleep over missing you so much. "I say do you remember that dear fellow, Coop who stopped watching MLS resulting in the league folding all those long years past? I have never been the same since he/she left." :)

Posted by: Kosh | March 13, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

christopher sullivan is the only one i can stand. even though he has so much trouble with the adu v. edu thing.

Posted by: deivid | March 13, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else think they should have put in jose after wells went down with what looked like a pretty solid blow to the head and possibly a concussion?

Posted by: JoseCarvalho | March 13, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

For fear of pissing off legions of hair splitting DC United pronounciation fascists, could some one post an accurate list of how to say every ones name?

Posted by: Madryan | March 13, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Right-o chaps. Just thought I'd pop in for a cup of tea and have a nice chat with you lot about football. I'd rather quaff a pint. But I'm so bloody exhausted from presenting the match that I don't fancy an ale.

Did you watch the match on the telly? I was astonished at how dreadful the pitch was.

Tally ho. I'm off to the loo.

Cheers

Posted by: Christian Miles | March 13, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

*******************************************
It wouldn't appear that FSC will have a similar problem next Tuesday. The 7:30 kickoff is preceeded by Sky Sports News and before that a replay of the US-Honduras Olympic Qualifier. However, we are talking FSC so don't rule out anything.

Posted by: BillyBob | March 13, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Madryan | March 13, 2008 01:52 PM
======================

Happy to oblige

Joe Doc is Ho-ay Dock
WNT fan is Win-eet Fan
22201 is dosdosdoscerouno
I'm EE-dos-setentito

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 13, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Don't know if this has been covered here already, but I read that we are up to 7 on the number of Cubans to have defected so far this tournament. Has it been determined whether Cuba will forfeit?

Posted by: Soy United! | March 13, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure people are sick of hearing about algarve cup, but I just got a dvd of the final and felt like amusing myself. cameraman appears to have a crush on tarpley and is keeping it pinned on her early. unfortunately, she was the one player who didn't sing along with the national anthem. in first ten seconds, each keeper had a touch on the ball! solo extends to catch an extremely cheeky chip that would have scored (apologies for the anglicism, but I know of no synonym for cheeky). denmark's #5 (i lost my match sheet) has a great turn and scared the bejeezus out of the back line. for a fairly slight woman, tarpley can really elevate. and chalupny flattened a danish midfielder (a lesson for our u-23 men perhaps?) but they paid her back with a hack shortly thereafter. goal was a beautiful corner right to natasha kai's head. she was in the middle of a crowd but just levitated a foot over the defenders. ah well, that's enough rambling.

Posted by: troy | March 13, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else think Niell looks a bit like Davey Jones?

Posted by: Monkee | March 13, 2008 12:18 PM
=======================

Gut one.

Posted by: WNT fan | March 13, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

y bien jugado, EE dos setentito!

Posted by: troy | March 13, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Was it just me, or did the cameraman actually MISS the McTavish goal??

Posted by: Juan-John | March 13, 2008 11:30 AM
-------------------------------------------

I think it was just you, because the feed I watched, they replayed it close up a few times on slow-mo.

Posted by: edgeonyou | March 13, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Troy: Were these matches that you captured on DVD broadcasts by the Portuguese counterpart to BSPN or something? Do you have enough command of Portuguese to follow the play-by-play, and if so, was there anything distinctive about it?

From a program on the Travel Channel some years ago, I vaguely recall that the Algarve is a popular destination for visitors from Anglophone countries. Is this so?

Posted by: tri-village | March 13, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Commentary - dreadful (rubbish for the PL-ers). How appropriate that today's Word of the Day (dictionary.com) is "rodomontade."

\rod-uh-muhn-TADE; roh-duh-; -TAHD\, noun:

Vain boasting; empty bluster; pretentious, bragging speech; rant.

Posted by: MR Caretaker | March 13, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

"From a visual standpoint, I'm really bugged by the missing three stripes across the chest. I can't believe that any shirt sponsor would be worth losing the stripes. In my mind they are what identifies DC United."

Couldn't disagree more. While I'm all for tradition, the new look was surprisingly bad ass; I mean, New Zealand Rugby bad ass! http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=89762&rendTypeId=4 And anything is better than those muted stripes of yesteryear.

I'd love to give it time for the midfield debacle to work itself out as you all suggest, but unfortunately the most important game on our current schedule is next Tuesday.

Posted by: Glaucon | March 13, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Soy United! | March 13, 2008 02:00 PM
==========================================

Here's the latest official stance (the Cubans will gut it out):

Quite frankly, it probably doesn't make any practical difference one way or the other, as their prospects for getting any additional points in their final two matches have to be considered pretty poor.

Posted by: tri-village | March 13, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

An additional thought: The Cubans, of all people, should have brought a full complement of 20 players. After all, the other seven teams only have to worry about injuries and suspensions. The Cubans have an additional contingency to take into account.

Posted by: tri-village | March 13, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

----------------

Considering most of FSC's audience are people who listen to EPL broadcasts....

What next? Complain about Spanish language broadcasts of SuperLiga on Telefutura?

Posted by: Well(s) | March 13, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

hey tri-village,
yeah, the matches were broadcast on portuguese state TV and a friend recorded the matches for me. I wish I were more talented at figuring out how to upload to youtube.

my portuguese is good enough to follow football commentary pretty easily, but there was nothing particularly distinctive about it. the announcers clearly didn't know much about the players, other than what they found on the match sheet. the algarve was virtually a british province for decades. nowadays, all of "cold europe" retires in the south, so there are a lot of germans and scandinavians as well. when I was frantically searching for the albufeira stadium for the first match (the one the federation inexplicably moved), it took several attempts to find someone who spoke portuguese -- ie, a local -- to ask directions. still, algarve beaches are incredible: imagine arches national park (weathered sandstone formations) right up on southern california beaches. it's a good place for a tournament.

Posted by: troy | March 13, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else watching that somewhat blurry image get the deja vu feeling Neill should have been wearing No. 11?

Posted by: regular fan | March 13, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Niell = Tiny Elvis

Man that size 5 ball is HUGE!

Posted by: equus | March 13, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

One more thing - I too was alternately disappointed or amused (especially by the "Gonzalos-not-brothers") by the commentary, but reading all these blog entries all at once I'm astonished at the level of vitriol directed at the announcers. It was great to have the game on tv. Our team was awful and the result was not great. I, for one, am worried that the overhaul was too ambitious. I'm worried that Gallardo is not the right number 10 for the fast-building attack of recent years. I'm worried about Jaime. I'm worried about a bunch of things. So it surprised me to see how little of the commentary here was about our new-look team, and how much about the commentators.

Posted by: regular fan | March 13, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else notice that one of the FSC guys last night said a MLS team had not won the Cup since the LA Galaxy in... 2007? What?! Did they actually see LA last year? They certainly weren't winning any international championships -- they were lucky whenever their winning streak hit 2 games -- might be a different story this year, though (except against DC of course!).

Pachuca won in 2007. But FSC had the team right, it was LA in 2000 who was the last to win from MLS. Bring it home this year United!!

Posted by: UnitedFanInTX | March 13, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

And speaking of the game itself, there is certainly a bit of concern about the way the team has not quite jelled yet. I agree with those that mentioned that probably more attention should be given to game-play here rather than the commentators, although it's certainly hard to resist piling on when it went the way it did.

Hopefully, as fans, we can chalk the lack of team cohesion up to this being the first real game with such a new mix of talent. But I sure hope the coaches are introducing some techniques to encourage the development of that internal teamwork. From everything we have seen and read, the staff knows that is the main concern at this point, so not to worry.

I am excited to see how these new Gallardo-to-Niell plays will develop going forward. There were some exciting opportunities that will hopefully develop into goals soon. Keep up the good effort United, and let's do even better back at RFK!

Posted by: UnitedFanInTX | March 13, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I guess what concerned me the most was that the team actually performed worse as the game went on. Usually when you're on the road playing on an unfamiliar field that isn't in the best condition you would expect the team to warm up and work its way into form. But the offense completely disappeared for much of the second half. Is this a fitness problem? And if so, why didn't we use our third substitution to bring on another attacking player like Quaranta?

Posted by: DCUMD | March 13, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I'd say Canada-Mexico is less of a surprise than United tying HARBOR VIEW FC!!!! Canada is always underrated, but are starting to get really good (look at last year's Gold Cup). Frankly, I'm not surprised at that at all.

However, I think Houston and DC should be shamed for not beating 2 crappy teams.

Posted by: Kevin | March 13, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Happy to oblige

Joe Doc is Ho-ay Dock
WNT fan is Win-eet Fan
22201 is dosdosdoscerouno
I'm EE-dos-setentito

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 13, 2008 02:00 PM

Dammit I-270!! Now I've got my coworkers asking me why I'm sitting in my cubicle cracking up.

Posted by: DCUMD | March 13, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Hate to really pat myself on the back, but I've been on this bandwagon for years regarding the terrible standards at FSC

I particularly like having a go at Christian Miles.

Posted by: A Rickey | March 13, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

@Posted by: Question | March 13, 2008 10:49 AM

you heard correctly. Away goals are not a tie breaker in the CCC.

RE FSC Announcers: they did a pretty terrible job, but if I'm a DC fan I'd be a bit more concerned that my team was VERY fortunate to escape with a draw after being pants by the Harbour View.

RE Spanish Pronunciation: You guys do realize that there is more than 2 dialects of Spanish yes? There are literally hundreds. Saying definitively that one name is pronounced one way is ridiculous.
My father's side of the family is Catala so we speak Spanish and Catala to his parents when we see them (toss in the German I had to speak to my other grandparents and you have one confused kid linguistically. :p ). When I speak to Mexicans they tell me I speak Spanish improperly because it's not like 'their version'
When I speak to Argentines it's a different set of issues. Things do change regionally folks.

Posted by: papa bear | March 13, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Nice story Papa Bear. I used to work down the hall from a lady from Barcelona who frequently got on a soapbox about how terrible the Spanish spoken in America is. I always questioned her authority, as her native language isn't Spanish :-)

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 13, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather listen to a dog wistle than the announcers on FSC.

Posted by: JLman | March 14, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

oh ok, so just because they have a crappy field means they have poor technology. that's a LOGICAL correlation. LOLZ
get over yourself

Posted by: MarkVA | March 14, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

It's simple, Miles had the back foot in his mouth...

Posted by: Lloyd Heilbrunn | March 14, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 13, 2008 06:25 PM
_____________

She's from Barcelona. In Barcelona, they speak Spanish. (Catalan is a dialect of Spanish.) Therefore, her native language must be Spanish. The Spanish spoken in America is actually not Spanish at all--it does not come from Spain, it comes from Latin America. But they can't very well call it Latin, can they?

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 15, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kevin | March 13, 2008 04:59 PM
______

Come on, give Harbor View some credit. They earned my respect in that game. They are a lot better than you give them credit for. Same with Municipal.

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 15, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse