United Sweeps Doubleheader

In the second game of the DCU-Chivas USA series on Wednesday, United earned another 2-1 victory.

Chivas went ahead in the 13th, but Quavas Kirk tied it three minutes later on an assist from Justin Moose. Brazilian trialist Cezar added the go-ahead strike in the 27th, set up by Rod Dyachenko and Franco Niell.

Carvallo went all 90 in goal, the make-shift backline saw Kirk and Cordeiro on the corners and Carroll and Mediate in the middle. Quaranta started on the right flank but left in the 33rd with a tight hamstring. Moose was on the left, Stratford at defensive mid and Dyachenko in the playmaking role. Niell and Cezar teamed up top. Subs were Thompson for Kirk, Murphy for Stratford, Gardner for Quaranta, Kpene for Niell, the Swiss kid for Moose and Walker for Cezar. Jeff Curtin has not yet joined the team.

That's all I know.

By Steve Goff  |  March 6, 2008; 12:55 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Wins Renegade Match
Next: Earth Watch

Comments

I like it, I like it.

Treble here we come!

Glory, glory to United,
Glory, glory to United
Glory, glory to United
We'll bring the Cup on home!!

Posted by: delantero | March 6, 2008 1:03 AM | Report abuse

CAMPEONES! CAMPEONES! OLE OLE OLE!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 6, 2008 1:38 AM | Report abuse

Goff:

Thanks so much for the info. You're up pretty late getting this posted. I know I'm not speaking just for myself when I tell you that it is appreciated.

Posted by: DCUInWheaton | March 6, 2008 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Inopportune time to have a tight hamstring!

Posted by: Glaucon | March 6, 2008 1:54 AM | Report abuse

might this suggest that santino isn't fit, or just unlucky?

Posted by: longfellow | March 6, 2008 2:09 AM | Report abuse

vamos united

Posted by: the jim | March 6, 2008 2:53 AM | Report abuse

I love me some DC United soccer news.

Posted by: Kurt Cobain | March 6, 2008 2:58 AM | Report abuse

This sounds fantastic. Ives was right on the money: Kirk might prove to be the breakout signing of the season. Good to see Rod and Niell getting on the scoresheet as well.

Posted by: Dan | March 6, 2008 3:10 AM | Report abuse

I don't envy the coaching staff. They've got some tough roster choices to make.

Posted by: Joe S. | March 6, 2008 3:31 AM | Report abuse

----
might this suggest that santino isn't fit, or just unlucky?
----

Yes, I would agree that it might suggest either (or both) of those options.

Hopefully Tino can get healthy very soon and give the coaching staff significant performances on which to access his current status and how that may or may not fit in with the team needs.

Posted by: stretch it out | March 6, 2008 6:28 AM | Report abuse

----
might this suggest that santino isn't fit, or just unlucky?
----

Considering he was came off the bench in the Renegade Match (played with our 1st team players only), and was playing his second match in a day, I'm more inclined to think his injury may have been fatigue-based.

Posted by: B.A. | March 6, 2008 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Was at the game and was impressed with Niell, Moose, Cezar, and Mediate. Carvallo was tested a couple of times and did well. There were a few hairy moments where he was caught off his line, but overall he looked good. Of course it was against the Chivas B squad...

Posted by: Brendan | March 6, 2008 7:44 AM | Report abuse

I agree w/ B.A. From what I've heard (DCU source) Tino has been training hard since he returned to DCU and playing in the morning game and then again in the night game may be pushing it a bit. I hope that he just needs a little rest and continues to impress. Good luck Tino...stay healthy!

Posted by: Fan | March 6, 2008 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Sadly this might suggest Tino is finished.

Posted by: Ron | March 6, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Sicknote!!!!
dear lord not again.

Posted by: jgildea | March 6, 2008 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Stop overreacting! It is the preseason -- if you feel something in your hammy, you don't push it and make it worse. Something like that can linger far too long. Have none of you injured it?

Posted by: RK | March 6, 2008 8:11 AM | Report abuse

sicknote?

"Dear Sir I write this note to you to tell you of me plight

and at the time of writing, I am not a pretty site

me body is all black and blue, me face a deathly grey

and I write this note to say why [Tino] is not at work today."

Continue ad nauseum until St. Patrick's Day. At least it is better than Danny Boy.

Posted by: troy | March 6, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

First of all it was a joke. Over reacting to someone over reacting is dumb, there I said it, and tino saying he felt a tightness in his hammy is like Johnny O' saying it. It is not a usual case.

Posted by: jgildea | March 6, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Tight hamstrings happen. Quaranta is making this team. The fact that he was the first sub into the Renegade match (in which United started its top XI) is a real good sign for him.

I'd love to hear more about the Quavas Kirk goal if anyone has any info. Sounds like he scored it while playing a wing back position. This guy could prove to be a key contributor in a substitute role for the first team with that kind of versatility.

I'd also like to know more about Cezar from anyone who was there. Is he more of a target forward or possession forward? Does he tend to track back much or just hang around up top?

Posted by: DCUMD | March 6, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Hey, as long Goff doesn't tell us another story about Tino's abdominal pain, I don't think any more should be made out of his coming off.

Tight hamstrings happen to people in the middle of their seasons too. This isn't anything worth thinking/worrying about.

Posted by: TCompton | March 6, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Who is more likely to start in goal for United on 29 March?

Posted by: Nick | March 6, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of tight hamstrings...

Watching the Arsenal-AC Milan game the other day and one of the Milan players drops to the ground like a sack of potatoes. A guy comes out and the TV shows a great closeup of the guy shooting some sort of clear liquid (dare I say water?) on the leg and, voila! he's up and running.

My question is: where can one purchase this magic substance? And does it work on hair loss?

Posted by: Joe Doc | March 6, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Which Carroll played in defense? Pat or Jeff?

Posted by: TCompton | March 6, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

how did Quaranta look?

Posted by: bobf | March 6, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Which Carroll played in defense? Pat or Jeff?

Jeff is out for another 5 months so that only leaves Pat

Posted by: 135 | March 6, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Joe Doc,

That clear liquid is probably water.

The magic spray, as I've always heard it called, is ubiquitous.

In my experience it comes most often in an aerosol can and when it comes out it is just chilled air which makes the booboo, imagined or real, feel much better.

As for hairloss, I'm sure it will work on any imagined ill so if you are in need of a very strong placebo effect, this is your product.

Posted by: bribri | March 6, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

For those looking for game comments, this is the only account I've found thus far. It's a bigsoccer post from a Houston fan who attended the match.

Posted by: Doze | March 6, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

I realize "That's all I know" means, that's all you know. BUT, any news on how or whether the sub-standard pitch actually affected play? Thanks!

(P.S. Greetings from Budapest!)

Posted by: asfoolasiam | March 6, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

For the record, Jeff Carroll is out for several months with a toe injury and Brian is no longer with DCU. So any references I make to "Carroll", unless otherwise noted, is to Pat.

For the record, I am not in Texas. I cannot evaluate any players. The information you read here is being relayed from a contact with the club.

Posted by: Goff | March 6, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Yeah I hear you Goff but...off the record?

Just kidding :)

Thanks for your great work.

Posted by: Kosh | March 6, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Doze - Thanks for the link.

The big soccer link has just jersey numbers, no names. I just looked on the DC site. 34 is Franco (too much dribbling). 15 is Rod (combined well with 16). Who is 16? Looks like a mid. Maybe Moose?

Posted by: Matte | March 6, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

From what I could gather 16 is Stratford.

Posted by: Doze | March 6, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Well, I'd say that's a good sign. Solid depth in central midfield if Stratford and Rod both stuck out in the match.

Posted by: Matte | March 6, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, the article didn't say Niell dribbled too much. It said he had good foot skills, but got knocked off the ball and went down too often.

Posted by: Matte | March 6, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I think DC used 27 different players yesterday.

Morning or "renegade" game:

-----------------------Wells
--------------Martinez------Peralta
Namoff (McT)--------------------------Burch
----------------------Simms (Stratford)
---McTavish (Quaranta)--------Fred (Mediate)
--------------------Gallardo (Dyachenko)
-------------Moreno (Niell)------Emilio

Official evening game (but featuring more of a reserve team):

------------------------Carvallo
---------------Mediate---------P. Carroll
Kirk (Galen Thompson)--------------Cordeiro
----------------------Stratford (D. Murphy)
Quaranta (Josh Gardner)-----------Moose
------------------------Dyachenko
------------Niell (Kpene)-----Cezar (Jamil)

Dyachenko and Mediate played 90 in the evening game after having played earlier. Stratford, Quaranta and Niell also played in both games.

Is Swiss trialist Blumer awaiting some kind of clearance? And what about UCLA draftee Brandon Owens (hurt, cut, or did he return to school to graduate and return later)?

Posted by: garbaggio | March 6, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Goff,
Any idea why Blumer didn't play in either game yesterday?

Posted by: swinreston | March 6, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Owens went back to school, will return later in spring. Same for Thorpe and Schmitz.

Posted by: Goff | March 6, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Blumer came in late in the second half, but I can't remember who came off.
Side note: Gardner impressed on the left after Tino's hammy sent him to the sideline. Nice kid would like to see him get another shot at MLS.

Posted by: tex | March 6, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of tight hamstrings...

Posted by: Joe Doc | March 6, 2008 08:59 AM
----------------------------
My trainer just calls it "the clear," as opposed to "the cream." And it tends to make your hair fall out, rather than grow.
;)

Posted by: barry bonds | March 6, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Whatever happened to having sponsors on the kits?

Posted by: Lloyd | March 6, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Treble here we come!

Posted by: delantero | March 6, 2008 01:03 AM

Why stop at three? As long as the cool aid lasts, I say DCU can pickup 6 trophies for the case this calendar year: Champs Cup, SuperLiga, Open Cup, Shield, MLS Cup, and World Club Champ.

But still no La Manga Cup...

Posted by: Rob | March 6, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know how the keepers played? It seems they are looking at Wells over Carvallo, which is surprising to me, but does anyone actually know how they played?

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 6, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse