USA-England Done Deal

When: May 28.
Time: 3 p.m. ET (8 p.m. in London).
Where: Wembley (maybe you've heard of it)
TV: ESPN Classic and Univision.
Tickets: According to the USSF, information will be announced shortly.

By Steve Goff  |  March 19, 2008; 9:12 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DCU Updates
Next: Champions' Cup Semis Set

Comments

Wow that really sucks. I don't get ESPN Classic or Univision.

Posted by: Kevin | March 19, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Can't think of anything to say, and I don't want to say "First".

One good thing -- all those Americans playing in England should be available...Maybe we can bring Friedel and McBride out of retirement? (kidding) But, EJ, and Dempsey haven't shown the colors in a while. Let's see how Howard does against his mates....

Posted by: Fisch Fry | March 19, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

And seriously...a wednesday at 3 ET. What else does ESPN or ESPN2 have on that is so important. I swear to god if they are the WSOP I will lose it.

Posted by: Kevin | March 19, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

The game is going to be on ESPN Classic?

Seriously?

F*ck ESPN. Put it on a real channel.

I'd rather it be on FSC.

Posted by: Phillip | March 19, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

What is wrong with the USSF and ESPN? Classic? This is big friendly for the Nats, and I would assume David Beckham. Why this wouldn't be on ESPN 1, 2, or even ABC is beyond me.

Posted by: Chris | March 19, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

ESPN will be showing walleye fishing. Not even bass, walleye :-)

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 19, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Seriously... I hope someone raises hell with ESPN and USSF to get this on ESPN or ESPN2.

Classic doesn't cut it.

Posted by: Phillip | March 19, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

It should be on ESPN360. And I think most people with basic tv get univision. Is it even cable?

Posted by: Gabe | March 19, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

I want so see the US in Wembley on HD! Get on the deuce!

Posted by: Reed | March 19, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

I want so see the US in Wembley on HD! Get it on the deuce!

Posted by: Reed | March 19, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

The Eurosnobs at the ESPN Soccer Division don't want to embarass themselves.

Posted by: Glaucon | March 19, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Univision is available with an over-the-air antenna to many metropolitan areas:

In the DC area, it is channel 14.

Posted by: Free TV | March 19, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

And if there is a local over-the-air broadcast affilate of Univision in your area, than most cable companies will include that Univision signal in the basic/local cable package.

Posted by: For those without ESPN Classic | March 19, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Would it really be so bad to take a late lunch or even cut out of work early and go watch the game at a bar?
It will be hump day, so F-ck it!

Posted by: Dadryan | March 19, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Honestly the Lucky bar is totally bearable now that you can't smoke up in there and the wings are delicious.
That deep into may you really can't find a better people watching spot than the Lucky's out door seating.
Just ask the messengers...

Posted by: Madryan | March 19, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

What are the chances it will be on Setanta? Do they cover NT games for England?

Posted by: peridigm | March 19, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

ESPN Classic

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Posted by: mb | March 19, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

If you don't get ESPN Classic (like me), odds are you don't get ESPN 360, either. And yeah, no reason for this to be stuck there.

Also, is this a FIFA date?

Posted by: Amanda | March 19, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

someone inform ESPN that someone named David Beckham may be playing for England. that way you can watch the game on ESPN Classic and the Beckham cam on ESPN.

Posted by: mb | March 19, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

What the heck is ESPN 360? I've got Classic, but I've never heard of ESPN 360. I guess that's in the obscure packages that also give you ESPNU.

Seriously, it's a diss. I could see a tape delay rebroadcast in primetime on Classic, but it should be live on the Deuce. All those Anglophiles at FSC would be drooling over the chance to show this.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | March 19, 2008 11:39 PM | Report abuse

ESPN360 is ESPN's internet streaming TV. However, it's only available if your ISP subscribes to it. I know Verizon has it and Comcast doesn't

Posted by: Anonymous | March 20, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

ESPN360 is ESPN's internet video service (I can't think of the proper name). However, it's only available if your ISP subscribes to it. I know Verizon has it and Comcast doesn't.

It also shows most Serie A matches.

Posted by: scottmsg | March 20, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Let me get this right. The US is playing England. It is on a weekday, in the middle of the afternoon. The best channel it can get is ESPN Classic? I know it is just a friendly, but come on.... its England and US.

Posted by: Bravo | March 20, 2008 12:41 AM | Report abuse

If we all complain, they would change it. That's what happened with the Brazil-US game in the U-20 Championship. They were going to show it in Classic, but changed it to ESPN2. Start sending those emails!!

Posted by: Jerry | March 20, 2008 1:24 AM | Report abuse

What's the e-mail address?

Posted by: Paul | March 20, 2008 1:50 AM | Report abuse

Google TVU or http://www2.myp2p.eu/. It's streaming internet, not HD though.

Posted by: Mike | March 20, 2008 1:51 AM | Report abuse

The French Open will be in the early rounds on May 28th. The "World Wide Leader" may be covering that event.

Posted by: The Far Post | March 20, 2008 1:52 AM | Report abuse

Save your e-mails. ESPN2 will be showing French Open matches.

Posted by: Confirmed | March 20, 2008 1:53 AM | Report abuse

Ummm, or you can just upgrade to Digital Cable. It's only $60/month. With the sports package you get GolTV, Fox Soccer Channel, ESPN Classic, ESPN Newa and a number of other great sports channels. Everyone needs to stop complaining and just get the damn upgrade. No disrespect to anyone, but stop being cheap and spring a little extra money!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 20, 2008 2:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: William | March 20, 2008 2:27 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, stop being cheap and fly over into Heathrow the morning of the game for kick-off. Flight, tickets, pints, transportation and hotel should only run you about 800 quid or 1600 USD for the game. Do it...do it.

Posted by: London Dan | March 20, 2008 3:31 AM | Report abuse

USSF would schedule this during the French Open... Luckily I have Classic. I had to record an event I was at that was relegated to Classic last night. BSPN Classic needs to be rebranded and re-launched.

Posted by: sitruc | March 20, 2008 3:40 AM | Report abuse

Nothing wrong with ESPN Classic. It's only a friendly anyway. If it gets enough viewers, ESPN will get the message and bump it to 1 or 2 next time.

I wish we'd get out of this habit of acting like we're being dissed all the time.

Posted by: Act like you belong there | March 20, 2008 3:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm pissed, I leave Europe on the 26th!

Posted by: Skyler | March 20, 2008 3:49 AM | Report abuse

TV: ESPN Classic and Univision.

You think a game like this would be on a mainstream channel. I bet they will change it to ESPN2 at least.

Posted by: BK | March 20, 2008 6:53 AM | Report abuse

TV: ESPN Classic and Univision.

You'd think a game like this would be on a mainstream channel. I bet they will change it to ESPN2 at least.

Posted by: BK | March 20, 2008 6:53 AM | Report abuse

I'll be in in Mykonos. Hope they'll show it there ;)

Posted by: RK | March 20, 2008 7:44 AM | Report abuse

nice...

Posted by: JSF | March 20, 2008 7:49 AM | Report abuse

@Posted by: Kevin | March 19, 2008 09:31 PM

don't take this the wrong way, but where the hell do you live? Univision is everywhere.

This should be on ESPN2 but then that would interfere with a women's fitness contest or ANOTHER boring poker tournament with celebrities and fake money.

Posted by: papa bear | March 20, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Girls in skirts making loud noises in Paris vs. soccer.

I think I understand the decision.

Who cares what channel its on. We're playing England in London!

"Yes, London. You know: fish, chips, cup 'o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary f'ing Poppins... LONDON."

Posted by: Southeasterner | March 20, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

I'll be there. Ticket bought weeks ago.
$670 on Virgin.

Posted by: DeKo21DCU | March 20, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

I am supposed to go Europe over the summer, but now may have to push up the trip a month to see this game. This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that I intend not to miss. The thought of the US pulling off an upset against England at Wembley is just too good to pass up on. I will definitely bring my brass knuckles just in case any Englishman may try to take a swing at me, when I'll be wearing the US flag. Go USA, Vamos United!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DC United Fan | March 20, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

ESPN Classic - what a joke!

Will be a good game and good test for both teams.

Posted by: joel | March 20, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I can't wait to see Landon dominate again on European soil.

; )

Posted by: Hoost | March 20, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Southeasterner | March 20, 2008 08:29 AM
=================

Thanks for starting my morning with a laugh, Guvnah.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 20, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I am by no stretch an angel, but I'm fairly certain that some kids read Soccer Insider. Is there any chance we can do away with the cussing? And the * in place of a letter doesn't quite cut it.

Steve's worked pretty hard to make this the class act of soccer blogs. Let's not turn it into its lesser competitors with questionable language.

Not a sermon, just a thought.

Posted by: Joe Doc | March 20, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I think WaPo and Goff do an excellent job filtering out the garbage and making this a hospitable environment for everyone. Saying that, its a free country AND it was a movie quote. Get off your high horse and stop with the sermons.

(kindly note that i refrained from throwing some $h@t into this post.)

Posted by: DudeAbides | March 20, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

The high horse keeps me out of the mud. If that's where you like it, be my guest.

I'm hoping SI doesn't attract the lowest common denominator. I think Big Soccer fills that void well. I could be proven wrong, of course, as DudeAbides has demonstrated.

Posted by: Joe Doc | March 20, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Please, let's not talk about bringing Friedel and McBride in. What would that do for the USNT? This isn't some tribute game - it's the kind of tough match we need do develop some sophistication in our national team.

Posted by: rkupp | March 20, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Ives says Spain plays US in Santander -- I'd rather go there!

Posted by: RK | March 20, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Univision is a mainstream channel, or at least relative to ESPN Classic, it is available in many more US households.

Posted by: Free tv | March 20, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Why they couldn't schedule the ENG-USA game for a weekend is beyond me. And ESPN showing the French Open means that ESPN2 is available, right? Or vice-versa?

Posted by: Juan-John | March 20, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

You might want to look at the rest of the schedule, then...such as the Euro tournament coming up, and the other friendlies going on...

Posted by: RK | March 20, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I swear, every year it seems MLS and US soccer start from scratch to REMIND people in power that the sport is actually watched by hundereds of thousands. Just support the sport in any way possible...

Posted by: Felix | March 20, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Actually make that MILLIONS of people.. hell why not BILLIONS!

Posted by: Felix | March 20, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sitruc | March 20, 2008 03:40 AM
---------------------------------------------
i happenned to be at that event last night :D with a free student ticket, sucks much to have graduated?

go hokies!

Posted by: 24060 | March 20, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

It's not an insult, we got the coveted time slot on ESPN Classic. Right between the original American Gladiators and "NFL Films Presents: the 1992 New England Patriots."

Posted by: Millen | March 20, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

ESPN classic?? WHY? Can't they override the stupid MLB game that is undoubtedly filling that timeslot? C'mon, America, this is your national team!!!! screw the brewers or whatever crappy joke of a team that will be playing that day.

Posted by: Dude...really? | March 20, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

ESPN classic?? WHY? Can't they override the stupid MLB game that is undoubtedly filling that timesloton espn? C'mon, America, this is your national team!!!! screw the brewers or whatever crappy joke of a team that will be playing that day.

Posted by: Dude...really? | March 20, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

The way I see it, the responsible parties are:

The USSF for scheduling the match on a day when there are other sporting events on the planet.

The French Open for not postponing their tournament in recognition of the enormous importance of this friendly on worldwide soccer, hunger, and peace.

ESPN for showing the match on ESPN Classic instead of ignoring it completely.

The people who would have the match on ESPN or ESPN2 and then would immediately complain about the commentary.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 20, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Very well stated, I-270, Exit 1

Posted by: Goff | March 20, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I accept that BSPN Classic may be the best that Disney can do on this occasion, but in light of that fact, I'm curious as to whether U.S. Soccer made any effort to market this event to FSC. (I'm assuming there's no package deal to show all USA friendlies on Disney channels, since I've seen friendlies on FSC in the past.) I'm also curious as to what will be going up against USA-ENG on FSC that day.

Posted by: tri-village | March 20, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

why not abc?

Posted by: jpdellacamera lover | March 20, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

why not abc?

Posted by: jpdellacamera lover | March 20
-------------------------------------------

Yeah. Why the hell not? Or bump the French Open to ABC to make room over on ESPN2.

Can you imagine--if we actually win--almost nobody will freaking see the game in this country.

Posted by: Yankiboy | March 20, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

...people who would have the match on ESPN or ESPN2 and then would immediately complain about the commentary.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1
-------------------------------------------
Another excellent observation. And for those of you who think that the level of Univision commentary is so far above the Mouse family's, I would respectfully disagree. Listening to those clowns often makes me want turn the volume down on them.

Posted by: yankiboy | March 20, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yankiboy | March 20
-------------------------------------------

Kind of like a little known USA/USSR hockey game from the 1980 Olympics?

Posted by: United 20170 | March 24, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse