Walker Waived and Lots More News

*Forward Jamil Walker, who was attempting to earn a D.C. United roster spot after suffering a severe Achilles injury last spring, has been waived. With Luciano Emilio, Jaime Moreno, Franco Niell, Guy-Roland Kpene and Rod Dyachenko returning, the addition of Santino Quaranta and the extended trial of Brazilian Cezar, there was simply no room on the roster for Walker.

*United will resume workouts Saturday in preparation for Tuesday's second leg against Harbour View. The big question will be Moreno's status after leaving early in the first half of the first match. Coach Tom Soehn said today that Moreno felt better than he anticipated Thursday and that he will be re-evaluated this weekend. Asked whether he think Moreno will be available Tuesday, Soehn said it was too early to say. Franco Niell, who was active and involved as Moreno's replacement, is the clear candidate to start if Moreno is sidelined.

*I am hearing that among the players Columbus technical director Brian Bliss is considering on his Honduras scouting trip are a pair of Brazilian-born forwards: Jocimar from Motagua and Allan dos Santos of Olimpia.

*In a wise move, FIFA has decided to maintain a 16-team field for the 2011 Women's World Cup in Germany. Some of the results in China last fall (Germany 11, Argentina 0; England 6, Argentina 1; Norway 7, Ghana 2) provided clear evidence that the tournament is not quite ready to expand.

*Man U supporters, beware.

*The Argentine scout who identified a young Diego Maradona has passed away. Good little story.

*Some of you have asked what exactly Christian Miles and Paul Caligiuri said about Gonzalo Martinez and Gonzalo Peralta during Fox Soccer Channel's production of the United-Harbour View match the other day. Here is the exchange, which occurred late in the first half:

Miles: One thing is for certain here, Paul, where D.C. United really had a lot of problems last year seemed to be in the center of defense. The early looks of it, they look very solid in the back with the likes of Peralta and Martinez.

Caligiuri: Both Gonzalos.

Miles: Yes!

Caligiuri: Gonzalo Martinez and Gonzalo Martinez. Not brothers, no relationship obviously from the first name. One from Argentina, the other from Colombia.

Miles: Like-minded mothers, you could say.

Or not say.

Perhaps more news to share later. If not, enjoy the start of your weekend.

By Steve Goff  |  March 14, 2008; 1:19 PM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Kickaround
Next: Another Facundo in MLS?

Comments

My heart stopped for a few minutes when I read the first paragraph as:

Forward Jamil Walker, who was attempting to earn a D.C. United roster spot after suffering a severe Achilles injury last spring, has been waived with Luciano Emilio, Jaime Moreno, Franco Niell, Guy-Roland Kpene and Rod Dyachenko.

Posted by: sitruc | March 14, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

We'll miss you JAMS!

Posted by: Mike | March 14, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Jamil thanks for the hard work u put in playing in DC wish u the best !!!!!

Posted by: 135 | March 14, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

yeah, thats the way I read it too. I was about to cry.

Posted by: gilbert | March 14, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I'll miss Jamil.

The Miles-Caligiuri thing looks less daft in print than it sounded live.

Posted by: Publius | March 14, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Best Wishes to Jamil and thanks for the efforts.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 14, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Hope for the best for Jamil, excellent squad player.

Posted by: Red Devil | March 14, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for bringing back the Mars-Caligula banter Steve, now my brain has started eating itself.

Posted by: Section 130 | March 14, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Godspeed Jamil - you're a class act, and I hope you catch on somewhere.

Goff - what's Kpene's roster status?

Posted by: EdTheRed | March 14, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Jamil will catch on down here with Cary. With him and Stokes, I might feel compelled to establish a Triangle Chapter of La Barra Brava. United would of course come first, but it'd be a good training ground for new recruits :-)

Posted by: AlecW81 | March 14, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

That sucks for Jamil - he'll be missed. What's the deal with releasing him so late though? Why 'get his hopes up', so to speak, when the kid could have been using the last few weeks to trial elsewhere in MLS or USL? As a fellow SCU alum, it would be awesome to see him return to Buck Shaw Stadium for the Earthquakes. I'd like to see that, but it would be great for him to stay in the league anywhere.

Posted by: NW FC | March 14, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Considering United was using him on the wing in most of his appearances, I'd say he simply doesn't have the pace to play up top (considering he has the touch of a rapist). The fact that he was late go makes me believe he was simply too much of a defensive liability.

Posted by: AlecW81 | March 14, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Everybody pile on Miles and Caligiuri!!! They're terrible, but to hammer Caligiuri for mispeaking by reapeating Martinez is silly and unfair. Like nobody else ever screwed up and called their own kids or their nephews/nieces by the wrong name? Still, it was an insipid conversation.

Definitely a shame to see Walker go. I always though he had real ability -- even more than some more highly touted DCU players. Hope he lands on his feet somewhere in the league.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | March 14, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AlecW81 | March 14, 2008 02:43 PM

". . . the touch of a rapist"?? Not only is this offensive, I have no idea what it means.

Posted by: Bill | March 14, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Good luck to Jamil - I always liked him and thought he was a great pickup after that MLS Cup winning goal, but with the signings this off-season I think it was pretty obvious he had a tough road to make it back on the team.

I agree that seeing the Gonzalo gaff in print doesn't read as bad as it sounded. But remember that it was one gargantuan ghory gaff amidst a gaggle of goofball gabs by the ghastly goobers. Gosh, it gets to me how greatly they gummed up their Gonzalos while gladhanding the game.

Posted by: Lost in BA | March 14, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bill | March 14, 2008 02:55 PM
---------------------------------------------

It means his touch is awful.

Posted by: edgeonyou | March 14, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

FSC has some of the worst commentators around. If I had to listen to Miles, Caligiuri, and and Bretos all at the same time, I just might kill myself.

Posted by: Mike | March 14, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

While FSC announcers are annoying, watching the ACC tournament is a reminder of how irritating Billy Packer is. It's a fine line, but I'd rather have annoying over irritating any day.

Posted by: sitruc | March 14, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

The Jamil Walker decision wasn't unexpected, given the severity of his injury, but I'm concerned that we aren't well stocked at forward. Jaime is better as a sub than as a starter, IMHO; Luci looked very ordinary against HV and tailed off at the end of last season; Niell is a garden gome (but a very active garden gnome); and Rod and Q. are better midfielders than forwards. That leaves Kpene and Cezar. Let's hope they come through.

Posted by: Hedbal | March 14, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lost in BA | March 14, 2008 02:58 PM
============

Air on the G String?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 14, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I thought the last Women's World Cup justified adjusting the number of teams......

....back down to 12.

Posted by: Kim | March 14, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

4 days to the first home match!

Posted by: Curious | March 14, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bill | March 14, 2008 02:55 PM
_____________

Best of luck Jamil! You are a class act!

Bill, I think what AlecW81 meant to say was "the touch of therapists" (SNL). He probably forgot to space. :P

Posted by: apqjr | March 14, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Jamil had his moments to be sure, though his finishing was always suspect. But I wish him the best. Certainly he'll find a USL club to play on if he can't get a sniff elsewhere in MLS. Maybe Colorado? They seem like DC Lite these days.

Posted by: Matte | March 14, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Favorite Milesism of the game (heard at least twice) - "This is the first US win in Olympic qualifying since February 2004." Hardly stunning since they only contest the Olympics every four years.

Posted by: BillyBob | March 14, 2008 08:36 AM

Yeah, I heard that. What an idiot.

Posted by: BK | March 14, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Hedbal, I'd say we look pretty set at forward. Luci will get it together. He was the top scorer in the league last year. And he is a monster when he's getting good service. I'm pretty sure Gallardo will give it to him. And Jaime will give us good minutes, even it he's not a starter all season. With Niell and Cezar behind them that's all the depth that any team would need. It's not like any team in the league has got starting quality players sitting around on the bench. Same goes for Rod and Kpene, the fact that they can back up two positions is actually a positive.

Posted by: Matte | March 14, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Yes, in my country the word "caligiuri" means donkey. I hear him talk about calcio and I know yes, he is donkey.

I feel bad for donkeys. They good animals. But that stronzo ruin donkey name. Is insult to humble, faithful donkey.

Posted by: Rocco Siffredi | March 14, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

". . . the touch of a rapist"??

---------------------------------

----------------------------

damn apqjr, that was what I was gonna say.

I'll take the rapists for $400 please.

That is "therapists" Mr. Connery

Posted by: steve-o | March 14, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

here is the whole exchange

Aimee Alex Trebek: Right, Mr. Connery. why don't you pick?
Sean Connery: It looks like this is my lucky day! I'll take "The Rapists" for $200.
Alex Trebek: That's "Therapists." That's "Therapists," not "The Rapists." Let's skip "Therapists" and try "Household Objects", for $400. And the answer is, "You usually drink water out of one of these." [ Sean Connery buzzes in ] Sean Connery.
Sean Connery: A leather glove!
Alex Trebek: No. [ Minnie Driver buzzes in ] Minnie Driver.
Minnie Driver: A toilet!
Alex Trebek: That is awful. [ Jeff Goldblum buzzes in ] Jeff Goldblum.
Jeff Goldblum: [ marvels at the buzzer until time runs out ]
Alex Trebek: And you're an idiot! The answer was "a glass."
Sean Connery: Then the day is mine!

Posted by: steve-o | March 14, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: steve-o | March 14, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

in ths spirit of it. here is some more

Posted by: steve-o | March 14, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

San Jose is in desperate need of a couple forwards so that sounds like a decent spot for Walker. Or Cary, NC if not.

Posted by: DCUMD | March 14, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: steve-o | March 14, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Hedbal:

I have to disagree rather strongly about our striker situation. First of all, it's not like any of the forwards we have are worse than Walker; cutting him did not lower our overall ability.

Secondly, your assertion that Moreno is a better sub brings up a ton of questions. Have we seen Moreno as a sub often enough to say whether it helps his game? I'd say the answer there is no...I mean, he has never been a sub (other than sporadic, one-off incidents) in his career in MLS. Do we have better options to start than Moreno? Again, I don't think anyone could say Moreno is going to be less of a force than Niell (an unknown quantity), Kpene (0 goals last year), Quaranta (still has to prove his comeback is legit on the field) or Dyachenko (arguably more of a midfielder than a forward). Most importantly, did you see us play last year when Moreno was out? We couldn't even create chances, our midfield seemed confused, and the resulting lack of possession would stretch our defense. In short, it was a near-disaster every time. While Christian Miles seems to think every player that is even mildly important fits this description, I believe Moreno is the only truly talismanic player in MLS. Last year, we were the best team in MLS with him, and without him healthy we lost to the 10-10-10 Chicago Fire in the playoffs.

Finally, I think Emilio's "tailing off" was much more a case of him and Moreno both getting hurt. Moreno missed the first 2 games we had in October, then only lasted 12 minutes in the final game of the season (home v. Columbus). With Moreno out, our whole team turned to a mediocre group, and Emilio had no real partner up top. At KC, he played on his own up front for 90 minutes. At home against Chicago, he played with Kpene for the 1st half, then alone for the 2nd (Carroll came on for Kpene). Against Columbus, he got 12 minutes with Moreno, 37 minutes with Kpene, and then came off with the ankle sprain. He was almost certainly not fit to play in either playoff game, but did because Moreno was also hurt and Kpene had no goals at all.

How important was Moreno to Emilio's game? Look at how many defenders Moreno draws. When he can get 2 or 3 defenders to come at him, he is opening up swaths of space for Emilio, Fred, Olsen, and (now) Gallardo. Emilio excels at escaping marking, and it's much easier to escape one man than it is to deal with 2 guys who know they just have to focus on you alone.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | March 14, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Jamil signed my daughters soccer ball, FWIW.

Posted by: steve-o | March 14, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Very well said Chest Rockwell

Posted by: 135 | March 14, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I have to mute the TV when Miles and Caliguiri do any kind of announcing. Miles is flat out annoying and Caliguiri is an idiot. He sounds so uncomfortable and has a hard time putting thoughts into words. He's proof that being a successful athlete does not necessarily mean you have any business being in the booth. Fire them both and hire Wynalda.

Posted by: El Rey | March 14, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Bill, How can something be offensive if you don't know what it means. the phrase is more common in england but it is an admittedly crude way of saying a player lacks "finesse".

Posted by: DRB | March 14, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

"Well! I didn't exactly see this coming. They've got an extra spot on the senior roster now. Maybe they give Kpene a bump? Or we could just see what happens and leave the roster spot open for a bit just in case any other needs develop."

Which senior spot are you talking about? Seba's spot? That spot? Ah, yeah, that's not available just now. :)

Posted by: Kosh | March 14, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Two syllables for you, Steve-o:

E-bay.

Of course, for the FSC announcers that's four syllables:

Eeee-baa-yyy-eeeeeeee

Posted by: Joe "Ho-Doc-eee" Doc | March 14, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

smart of Jaime to take himself out right away - it's a long season.

Good luck Jamil, you will probably make more money in USL anyway!

Posted by: ff | March 14, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: El Rey | March 14, 2008 04:31 PM
=======================

It's about damn time that the man responsible for Real Maryland shows up!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 14, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Jamil signed my daughters soccer ball, FWIW.

Posted by: steve-o

that's probably why they fired him. there's no room for classy behavior in the men's game! (before people explode, I'm just kidding)

Posted by: troy | March 14, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I only watched the 1st half of Motagua - Pachuca the other night but Jocimar (he was being called Nascimento which I guess is his last name) looked like quite a handful for Pachuca's backline. I didn't see him score but he looked big, strong and fast.

Best wishes to Jamil Walker in whatever he decides (soccer or non-soccer) to pursue in life.

Posted by: garbaggio | March 14, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

it looks like two of us post as steve-o, as Jamil did not sign my daughter's ball.

I will go by steve-o 2 or just steve from now on -- not that anyone cares.

Posted by: steve-o 1 or 2 | March 14, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck to Jamil. I hope he gets to read this. Jamil is a dedicated player who always managed to use his speed and grit to score. I will never forget the tying goal he scored against Universidad Catolica of Chile in what I think was the Copa Sudamericana. I had to endure a Catolica supporter behind me yelling "Chile! Chile! Chile!" all game long. Catolica were a really skillful team and I was starting to lose hope that DC could come back. Then, in the final minutes of the game, Jamil powered through the Catolica defense to score a goal that made me explode out of my seat in happiness. I was so pumped I turned to that Catolica supporter and mockingly yelled "Chile! Chile! Chile!" pumping my fist at him like an idiot! He gave me a look that sobered me up real quick. I thought that guy was going gather his buddies and kill me. Nothing happened, but I will always remember that Jamil goal and the joy that followed. DC lost to Catolica in the great game that followed in Chile, but I would like to think that Jamil's tying goal helped to inspire the teams elevated performance in Chile. You'll be remembered Jamil!

Posted by: Mark | March 14, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey My son's birthday is on the season opener, does anyone know if DC UNITED puts birthdays on the big screen. Does anyone know how much it costs?

Posted by: dc Fan | March 14, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Steve-o,

Yep, sorry 'bout that - you take it (the handle, you had it first).

Jamil DID sign my daughters soccer ball and he was extremely cool to the kids when we met him. She still talks about it. Sorry to see him go - a nice guy. Best of luck!

Steve-e

Posted by: steve-o3 | March 14, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

dc fan, I've definitely seen that...

Posted by: RK | March 14, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dc Fan | March 14, 2008 09:19 PM

Best birthday of my life was spent at RFK when I was 10 or so. They had a great package where i got to invite 8 or so friends up to the mezzanine section, i got an autographed ball signed by (almost) all of the team, and I got to walk out onto the field at halftime for some reason. Highly recommended, though I'm not sure of the price.

Posted by: Glaucon | March 14, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

I think it is safe to say that it is time to call a moratorium on the phrase "touch of a rapist".

Posted by: please | March 15, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

"Touch of a Rapist" is one of Bulgaria's finest colognes...along with Sex Panther.

Posted by: Brian Fantana | March 15, 2008 2:05 AM | Report abuse

Sadly the phrase loses all it's jazz when it has to be thoroughly explained... :-(

If someone actually found it offensive, too bad. Get thicker skin.

Posted by: AlecW81 | March 15, 2008 2:32 AM | Report abuse

I understand everyone hates listening to Caligiuri, but let's lighten up on him. I mean he's kinda a big deal. According to Soccerhall.org, Caligiuri "was just the second player to join the exclusive 100 club for the Americans, and the first to land a Pert Plus commercial."

Sorry, I was trying to find the Pert Plus commercial on YouTube, but to no avail.

Posted by: Brian | March 15, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Brian | March 15, 2008 09:05 AM
=============

There IS some element of decency and restrain on the internet!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | March 15, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse